PDA

View Full Version : An Ode to Mr. Suisham

Steelskin
11-29-2010, 10:40 AM
Shaun,

I doubt you are a registered user here on Planet Steelers, but I just wanted to post my sentiments somewhere amongst friends.

When you came to the Pittsburgh Steelers, I had my doubts. I did.

For any logical person, based on the numbers alone, the pickings for a replacement kicker were slim. Anyone out there who had at least similar numbers to former kicker, Jeff Reed, were either retired or restricted to my dreams.

To get to my point, we needed you... and you needed us... and we pulled through it together and I can't express to you the level of gratitude I have had towards your impact to the 2010 Pittsburgh Steelers.

This past week was debatably the best performance by any kicker in the league all year. You won that game for us, Shaun. I'm sure you're fully aware that our race in the AFC North is a close one and assuming we make the cut (it will be by one game, by the way things are going) it'll all be because of you; on a day where the rest of the team came up a little short, you showed up. Big time.

Truthfully, if I had the money to spend, I'd be the first one to buy your jersey, but between the holiday and college... things are tight! Just know that you're one of my favorites now. You've more than earned my respect in the couple of weeks you've been with us.

I think I speak for Steeler Nation when I say welcome to the family, Shaun.

Your Fan,
Matt

http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Shaun+Suisham+Oakland+Raiders+v+Pittsburgh+CaIhp2c yy2ul.jpg

sentinel33
11-29-2010, 12:10 PM
I second that Ode.

Sweezy, i know you will miss some kicks. the steeler fan base understands that. cant make 'em all. i also know that our former kicker would've missed at least half of those kicks. and for you to make all of them with none of them being less than 41 yards. in your first away game as a steeler. man, dude. hats off.
sometimes all it takes is a second chance. or a third. whatever.
just know that you are on a team that competes for the Lombardi year in and year out. Keep bringing that A game. We need it. you were the difference in that game on sunday. The team needs you and you need the team. thats a match.
I have never purchased a kickers jersey before but the time has finally come. stay healty my friend. take care of that leg.
and if you could-try to get those kickoffs a bit deeper.

msp26505
11-29-2010, 12:23 PM
Holy cheese, Batman. :shock:

I'm thrilled he has made his kicks so far. I'm also sure he will miss some. I hope they don't come at inopportune times.

But even if he never misses, I'm not ready to have his baby.

Jeesh.

SuperSize
11-29-2010, 12:31 PM
That 48 yarder into the wind was MONEY.

That's when I became a SS fan.

Pete

ikestops85
11-29-2010, 12:51 PM
No question the guy was clutch in windy Buffalo. I hope the steeler tradition for winning is infectious but I saw the guy kick here in Washington and he had some brutal games.

But for now the guy's my hero. :Cheers

Jooser
11-29-2010, 12:58 PM
That 48 yarder into the wind was MONEY.

That's when I became a SS fan.

Pete

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p262/jooser73/moneysmiley-1.gif

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p262/jooser73/td.gif

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p262/jooser73/moneysmiley-1.gif

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p262/jooser73/woohoo.gif

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p262/jooser73/thanks.gif "Thank, you. Thank, you all so much."

proudpittsburgher
11-29-2010, 01:13 PM
funniest part about this . . . just wait until he misses. Let the wrath begin. :)

Some on here villify Ben when he throws a pick at an inopportune time. He could end up being a hall of fame QB, just sayin. The Steelers defense is year in and year out a top 5 squad and is pretty darn good this season, but there are some who say Lebeau is past his prime and should go. He IS a HOFer, just sayin. Mike Tomlin has led this steelers team to winning seasons since he came aboard and a super bowl win, and yet many crusify him for his language during his pressers and the fact he isn't Chuck Noll.

Yet Suisam has a very good game (no FG's in his first outing) and we are in love with the guy and are pushing Gary Anderson aside as the greatest all-time Steelers kicker? Look, I like what he has done too, but lets not overstate this. Sepulveda had the biggest kick yesterday.

SteelerNation1
11-29-2010, 02:07 PM
I was at the game in Buffalo and it was ridiculously windy. Heck, it was Heinz Field windy. It was an extremely impressive performance. I hope he keeps it up.

Steelskin
11-29-2010, 07:10 PM
funniest part about this . . . just wait until he misses. Let the wrath begin. :)

Some on here villify Ben when he throws a pick at an inopportune time. He could end up being a hall of fame QB, just sayin. The Steelers defense is year in and year out a top 5 squad and is pretty darn good this season, but there are some who say Lebeau is past his prime and should go. He IS a HOFer, just sayin. Mike Tomlin has led this steelers team to winning seasons since he came aboard and a super bowl win, and yet many crusify him for his language during his pressers and the fact he isn't Chuck Noll.

Yet Suisam has a very good game (no FG's in his first outing) and we are in love with the guy and are pushing Gary Anderson aside as the greatest all-time Steelers kicker? Look, I like what he has done too, but lets not overstate this. Sepulveda had the biggest kick yesterday.

If Suisham doesn't make the 48 yarder into the wind (down the middle and with distance, mind you), Sepulveda doesn't even get to make that punt and this post is instead discussing Bruce Arians' ineptitude.

I made the post as both a congratulations to Shaun for proving myself (and many others) wrong.

We could play hypotheticals and say what Suisham would be had he done this or if he does that, but I'm going to go by what I saw; two weeks of absolute excellence.

Maybe he will keep it up and exceed the doings of Gary Anderson. Maybe he'll Vanderjagt us. Who knows.

But what I do know is that the guy came in here with a winning attitude and the play to back it up (he's already single-footedly won us a game) and until he proves he's not what he's shown, he's earned my respect-and that's all I said in the original post. Not that he'll be a hall-of-famer or that he's the team MVP; just that he's earned my respect.

I for one, was not very optimistic about him when he signed. I don't remember anyone who was... I think a little homage was more than necessary.

Sugar
11-29-2010, 07:36 PM
Mike Tomlin has led this steelers team to winning seasons since he came aboard and a super bowl win, and yet many crusify him for his language during his pressers and the fact he isn't Chuck Noll.

There were a lot of years where the guy named Chuck Noll wasn't Chuck Noll either. :wink: