PDA

View Full Version : Is Woodley losing millions?

Oviedo
11-29-2010, 09:00 AM
Hard to tell if he was on the field yesterday. The question is if the formula for teams against us is to get the OLBs backing off into coverage is Woodley worth a big contract since that is the worse part of his skillset? Understand his late season surges but he needs to be more consisyent all season long to get the big bucks.

He is a pure pass rusher but very average in coverage. Now if we convert to the 4-3 and put him at DE then we got something :stirpot

jj28west
11-29-2010, 09:02 AM
Can this be the result of losing Smith and having Ziggy in there? Maybe Kiesel will help this but for the most part I see Ziggy holding his own mostly occupying one guy.

Oviedo
11-29-2010, 09:05 AM
Can this be the result of losing Smith and having Ziggy in there? Maybe Kiesel will help this but for the most part I see Ziggy holding his own mostly occupying one guy.

But can't count on Smith ever being back. I have to think this is it for him. If Woodley needs Smith to be successful he definitely isn't worth the big contract.

jj28west
11-29-2010, 09:30 AM
He has a history of playing better later in the season and in the playoffs. Again, I dont know if its scheme or injury but statwise the numbers are not there. I tried to isolate him yesturday and he was getting some double teams with the RB/TE chipping him.

BURGH86STEEL
11-29-2010, 09:33 AM
I don't believe it has anything to do with Smith being out. Woodley had some issues getting to the passer with Smith in the game. I believe Woodley is not getting to the passer because he is not winning his one on one match up.

I don't believe Woodley has played consistently well enough to command the type of money he probably expects. I don't think the Steelers will resign him if he over values himself.

SidSmythe
11-29-2010, 09:37 AM
Worilds was drafted to replace him and w/ Worilds athletic ability, I think he will be better in coverage.

I'd be interested to see how many of Woodley's sacks were against TE's & RB's

steelblood
11-29-2010, 10:55 AM
On Fred Jackson's long TD run (after a short catch), Woodley had him dead to rights and simply was faked out of his shoes and onto his butt. Woodley fell down later in the game again and allowed a ball carrier to gain big yards. Woodley was never great in space that isn't his game. But, I felt that he was really improving in that area. Lately, it seems he's taken a step back.

One thing I'll say about Wood is that his type of pass rushing is made for Heinz field in December and January. On the other hand, Worilds' speed rush style is negated by the muck.

I think it is time we start rotating Woodley and Worilds a bit. It may actually help both of them.

Oviedo
11-29-2010, 11:02 AM
On Fred Jackson's long TD run (after a short catch), Woodley had him dead to rights and simply was faked out of his shoes and onto his butt. Woodley fell down later in the game again and allowed a ball carrier to gain big yards. Woodley was never great in space that isn't his game. But, I felt that he was really improving in that area. Lately, it seems he's taken a step back.

One thing I'll say about Wood is that his type of pass rushing is made for Heinz field in December and January. On the other hand, Worilds' speed rush style is negated by the muck.

I think it is time we start rotating Woodley and Worilds a bit. It may actually help both of them.

That is because Woodley is a potentially great 4-3 DE playing as a good 3-4 OLB. He is average in space and treams are now starting to exploit that. His strength is rushing the passer and he does that less than 50% of the time.

Not sure that Worilds is ready to make anythging better. Remember he is a DE undergoing the transition process to OLB. He may be a better athlete but there is alot of new knowledge he is trying to learn. These conversions are a weakness in our ability to reload talent.

feltdizz
11-29-2010, 11:06 AM
I like Woodley but I never thought he was as good as most made him out to be when discussing money.

SteelTorch
11-29-2010, 11:08 AM
Only an idiot would suggest we go to the 4-3, especially in a league like this. That is all.

hawaiiansteel
11-29-2010, 01:33 PM
or the Steelers might be saving millions...

Crash
11-29-2010, 01:38 PM
They need to rotate Worilds as a pass rushing DE for Eason or Hood and have BOTH Woodley and Worilds on the field at the same time.

hawaiiansteel
12-04-2010, 05:18 PM
LaMarr Woodley Is Getting His Hurries

Posted on December 4, 2010 by JJ

Maybe LaMarr Woodley has been more effective than we think.

On the Ravensí preview podcast, Ryan, Gretz and I mentioned how we hoped Woodley would have a big game against the Ravens, and how heíd seemed somewhat disappointing as a pass rusher.

But that was before I saw these stats. Football Outsiders has a team of volunteers that chart each and every game. And among their stats they log are quarterback hits, hurries and who induces holding calls.

According to FOís stats, Woodley is fourth in the league in quarterback hurries this year in addition to his 6.5 sacks. Through the first 10 games of the season, Woodley is averaging 2.4 hurries per game. James Harrison is averaging 1.8 hurries per game (tied for 15th in the league).

Harrison also ranked third in the league in holding penalties induced (six this season) and he ranks in the top 20 in quarterback hits.

If Pittsburgh is going to beat the Ravens, they need Harrison and Woodley to keep Joe Flacco uncomfortable. Itís something they have managed to do in the past, and they will be helped by the fact that Michael Oher is banged up. The player Iíll be watching is Woodley ó if he can beat Marshal Yanda consistently, it will go a long way toward beating Baltimore.

http://www.steelerslounge.com/2010/12/woodley-hurries/

NJ-STEELER
12-04-2010, 07:14 PM
a very key stat

as lebeau said in preseason. hurrying the QB is sometimes just as good as a sack.

like in the AFCC vs. the ravens. it was wood with the pressure that hurried flacco which ended up in troy's pick 6

Oviedo
12-05-2010, 10:39 AM
a very key stat

as lebeau said in preseason. hurrying the QB is sometimes just as good as a sack.

like in the AFCC vs. the ravens. it was wood with the pressure that hurried flacco which ended up in troy's pick 6

Hurrying the QB is also characteristic of those situations where our pass rush just misses getting to the QB and the QB gets off the throw to convert yet another 3rd down late in football games.

Which would you rather do hurry the QB or have him on his back. He can't throw from his back. Dumb statement by LeBeau.

NJ-STEELER
12-05-2010, 02:34 PM
the jets dont get half the pressure our OLBs do. they have to bring many more on the blitz to get that pressure exposing their secondary even more then us.

get some guys that can friggin cover a little bit and you'll see the Qb on his back more. you can line up debo, woodley, greene Lloyd all at once and if the qb GETS RID OF THE BALL UNDER 2 seconds cause the receivers are wide open ...there aren't going to get any sacks either

RuthlessBurgher
12-05-2010, 06:03 PM
a very key stat

Hurrying the QB is also characteristic of those situations where our pass rush just misses getting to the QB and the QB gets off the throw to convert yet another 3rd down late in football games.

Which would you rather do hurry the QB or have him on his back. He can't throw from his back. Dumb statement by LeBeau.

We have 14 interceptions on defense. Since our corners are much more likely to play off with a cushion than they are to jump routes, I would say that the majority of the INT's we get are a result of pressure which causes the QB to force a throw and make a mistake. In those cases, a hurry is better than a sack.