PDA

View Full Version : Conspiracy? Dont make me laugh

Captain Lemming
11-29-2010, 02:28 AM
Bad calls happen.
Harrison is a victim of his reputation as a punishing hitter thats all.
He gets fined a couple of times, and it gets worse, the refs are unfairly anticipating a penalty.

Think for a minute what a conspiracy requires.
Do you really think even Goodell could convince officials working Steeler games to deliberately make up bogus calls just because he said so??

For Goodall to even suggest this to officials puts him at risk. One ref with a conscience and Goodall is toast.

And what motive would an official have to comply? Under the table cash? The threat of being fired? Goodall gonna fire someone who can turn around and expose Goodells anti Steeler agenda? Really? Do you believe that?

Maybe Goodall is an alien using uncanny mind control over the refs.

If so he can come after Steeler Nation too.

I say we protect ourselves:

http://www.anskypoker.com/images/poker-conspiracy-theories.jpg

Crash
11-29-2010, 02:33 AM
Yeah I'm sure it wasn't deliberately when he scheduled the Ravens in week 4 with Ben out right?

Yeah I'm sure it also wasn't deliberately to schedule Ben's Steelers on prime time TV five times in the seasons final 10 weeks when Ben returned (This would coincide with Ben serving a full 6 game suspension).

This is also the same commish who deliberately forced the Rooney's to break up their 20 year old ownership group and by doing so, forced the Rooney's to take on more debt for thier loans to purchase the shares from remaining Rooney's and the McGinley family.

But you are right, it's all mere coincidence.

JDSteeler
11-29-2010, 02:49 AM
Bad calls happen.
He gets fined a couple of times, and it gets worse, the refs are unfairly anticipating a penalty.

Think for a minute what a conspiracy requires.
Do you really think even Goodell could convince officials working Steeler games to deliberately make up bogus calls just because he said so??

For Goodall to even suggest this to officials puts him at risk. One ref with a conscience and Goodall is toast.

And what motive would an official have to comply? Under the table cash? The threat of being fired? Goodall gonna fire someone who can turn around and expose Goodells anti Steeler agenda? Really? Do you believe that?

Maybe Goodall is an alien using uncanny mind control over the refs.

If so he can come after Steeler Nation too.

I say we protect ourselves:

http://www.anskypoker.com/images/poker-conspiracy-theories.jpg

Don't make ME laugh!!!!!

The NFL is a friggin joke!!!

They have a HOT SEEKING BONER for the Steelers, right now, and I
aint friggin kidding!!!!!!

And YES, with a CAPITAL "Y", have called bogus after bogus bad calls on
the Steelers for 2-weeks in a row....Where have you been????

Get a clue!!!

Expect to see more intolerable officiating, and eventually the refs WILL cost us
to lose a game!!!! Just hope it's not a post-season game....

JD

Captain Lemming
11-29-2010, 02:55 AM
It's too late for me. Clearly I have fallen under evil Rogers mind control.
But you still have a chance!

Here ya go.
Start with making your protective head gear before it is too late!

http://www.chicaandjo.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/foil_3.jpg

Djfan
11-29-2010, 02:57 AM
Then it's amazingly lame leadership. Leadership so blind that it can't see how biased it is, and how biased the refs are.

You pick.

brothervad
11-29-2010, 03:00 AM
CL,

I will concede the point with regards to conspiracy. But Goodell/NFL want to change culture...for a myriad of reasons...the Steelers have been more vocal than any other team including the Rooneys (not as vocal as some would like but just he same they have been extremely more vocal than the Ravens for example).

So Pittsburgh has become magnetic north as the poster child for old school intimidation football...so this has become the battleground to the attempt to change culture in the NFL.

Obviously this is just my opinion, but I do think it has some merits to consider.

brothervad

hawaiiansteel
11-29-2010, 03:03 AM
http://www.anskypoker.com/images/poker-conspiracy-theories.jpg[/quote]

that silver foil headgear may not properly protect you when Roger strikes...

http://www.scificool.com/images/2009/04/darth-vader.jpg

Djfan
11-29-2010, 03:04 AM
CL,

I will concede the point with regards to conspiracy. But Goodell/NFL want to change culture...for a myriad of reasons...the Steelers have been more vocal than any other team including the Rooneys (not as vocal as some would like but just he same they have been extremely more vocal than the Ravens for example).

So Pittsburgh has become magnetic north as the poster child for old school intimidation football...so this has become the battleground to the attempt to change culture in the NFL.

Obviously this is just my opinion, but I do think it has some merits to consider.

brothervad

AND,

The changes NoGoodell wants to make are exactly what our team identity is - hard hitting, smash mouth football. He wants us all to be Peyton Manning clones.

Jooser
11-29-2010, 03:04 AM
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p262/jooser73/This****-1.jpg

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p262/jooser73/chilled.jpg

Referees are like a box of chocolates, but this year, they're more like chocolate covered sheeaat!

Captain Lemming
11-29-2010, 03:25 AM
Don't make ME laugh!!!!!

The NFL is a friggin joke!!!

They have a HOT SEEKING BONER for the Steelers, right now, and I
aint friggin kidding!!!!!!

And YES, with a CAPITAL "Y", have called bogus after bogus bad calls on
the Steelers for 2-weeks in a row....Where have you been????

Get a clue!!!

Expect to see more intolerable officiating, and eventually the refs WILL cost us
to lose a game!!!! Just hope it's not a post-season game....

JD
Did I say there were no bad calls?
I said "Bad calls Happen"
There have been a number of questionable calls.
The question is why?

A "conspiracy" would require that refs are deliberately making calls in order to put the Steelers at a disadvantage.

Do you believe Goodall has instructed the refs to make bogus calls against the Steelers?

Do you believe the refs would just go along with it? Why? What is their motivation?

Again-

Goodall wants to create a "gentler" NFL.
The Steelers represent the opposite of that.

I think the officials are a little "trigger happy" with the flags with our team, because of our hard hitting reputation.
It is not right or fair, but it explains everything if you think about it.

Captain Lemming
11-29-2010, 03:51 AM
CL,

brothervad

AND,

The changes NoGoodell wants to make are exactly what our team identity is - hard hitting, smash mouth football. He wants us all to be Peyton Manning clones.

I agree completely.
We are the antithesis of what Goodall wants the league to be. But some Steelers play the way he wants.
Less Ryan Clark, more Troy P
Less Harrison more Farrior
Definitely less Hines from previous seasons.

I am not saying it is right or that I like it.

I think if we won the SB while playing a softer brand of football, he would be fine with it.

Oviedo
11-29-2010, 08:39 AM
Yeah I'm sure it wasn't deliberately when he scheduled the Ravens in week 4 with Ben out right?

Yeah I'm sure it also wasn't deliberately to schedule Ben's Steelers on prime time TV five times in the seasons final 10 weeks when Ben returned (This would coincide with Ben serving a full 6 game suspension).

This is also the same commish who deliberately forced the Rooney's to break up their 20 year old ownership group and by doing so, forced the Rooney's to take on more debt for thier loans to purchase the shares from remaining Rooney's and the McGinley family.

But you are right, it's all mere coincidence.

Do you think it will be a coincidence that they suspend Harrison for the second Ravens games thereby giving them an advantage with the division lead on the line?

I don't!!!

JAR
11-29-2010, 09:00 AM
You really have to wonder why the ref had his flag out long before Harrison hit Fitzpatrick.
I guess there was going to a penalty for something so that Buffalo got the ball back.

Oviedo
11-29-2010, 09:03 AM
You really have to wonder why the ref had his flag out long before Harrison hit Fitzpatrick.
I guess there was going to a penalty for something so that Buffalo got the ball back.

I was wondering if the first time Harrison hit the QB it was going to be a guaranteed penalty. It was like the ref was just waiting for the opportunity. Why? To allow Goodell to implement a suspension.

BradshawsHairdresser
11-29-2010, 10:25 AM
CL,

brothervad

AND,

I agree completely.
We are the antithesis of what Goodall wants the league to be. But some Steelers play the way he wants.

I think if we won the SB while playing a softer brand of football, he would be fine with it.

This team will NOT win the Super Bowl, or even get anywhere close to the Super Bowl, playing a "softer brand of football." Maybe the Steelers can build a team that will be able to do that in a few years...but NOT this team.

So, in effect, according to your own logic, Goodell IS aiming to keep the Steelers from the Super Bowl this season.

BradshawsHairdresser
11-29-2010, 10:27 AM
CL,

brothervad

AND,

I agree completely.

This team will NOT win the Super Bowl, or even get anywhere close to the Super Bowl, playing a "softer brand of football." Maybe the Steelers can build a team that will be able to do that in a few years...but NOT this team.

So, in effect, according to your own logic, Goodell IS aiming to keep the Steelers from the Super Bowl this season.

feltdizz
11-29-2010, 10:56 AM
definitely a conspiracy... or whatever the term is for putting the refs on notice anytime Harrison is close to a QB...

SteelTorch
11-29-2010, 11:06 AM
I'm not going to say there's a conspiracy going on. However, with all that's happened this year, I think you're kidding yourself if you don't believe the Steelers are being unfairly targetted this season. Too much evidence to say otherwise.

steelblood
11-29-2010, 11:08 AM
I agree; It isn't a conspiracy of the 1st order.

But, there are two sets of rules out there. There are the standards we hold James Harrison (and perhaps Ryan Clark) too and those for the rest of the league. There are helmet to helmet penalties on other receivers, but not Hines. There are roughing the passer penalties for other QBs that rarely or never get called when they happen to Ben. And now, Suddenly, for two games in a row there are multiple holding penalties against our team that are not enforced against the other team. These inconsistencies are ruining my enjoyment of the game and making me question why Goodell will allow them to exist. He realizes they are there and does not care. His bias is obvious and could cost us our season.

sentinel33
11-29-2010, 11:20 AM
not only cost us a game but possibly a player either due to a suspension(harrison) or due to injury(roethlisberger).

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-29-2010, 11:25 AM
Do I think that there is an actual conspiracy? No.

Do I think that the refs are told before each Steelers game that if Harrison hits someone then be quicker to throw a flag than you would for any other player? Yes, the quickness of the flag on his hit yesterday would indicate that the refs are told to anticipate a penalty on Harrison.

Do I think that the refs have been told to err on the side of caution in any Steelers game? Yes

Do I think that Goodell would rather avoid the discomfort of handing the Lombardi over to co-MVPs Ben Roethlisberger and James Harrison? Yes, but not enough to tell the officials to purposely make the wrong call.

Crash
11-29-2010, 12:44 PM
Noticed Captain Bu|l**** here didn't address my reply to him.

It's OK Cap, we both know why.

BradshawsHairdresser
11-29-2010, 01:58 PM
Do I think that there is an actual conspiracy? No.

Do I think that the refs are told before each Steelers game that if Harrison hits someone then be quicker to throw a flag than you would for any other player? Yes, the quickness of the flag on his hit yesterday would indicate that the refs are told to anticipate a penalty on Harrison.

Do I think that the refs have been told to err on the side of caution in any Steelers game? Yes

Do I think that Goodell would rather avoid the discomfort of handing the Lombardi over to co-MVPs Ben Roethlisberger and James Harrison? Yes, but not enough to tell the officials to purposely make the wrong call.

I'd go along with this theory.

Crash
11-29-2010, 02:02 PM

Um...that sure as hell would sound like a conspiracy, no?

feltdizz
11-29-2010, 04:34 PM

Um...that sure as hell would sound like a conspiracy, no?

I don't think it can be called a conspiracy when it's obvious and every commentator discusses how they are keeping an eye on Harrison.

I don't think any rational person can say Harrison is getting the same calls as the rest of the LB's in the league.

Captain Lemming
11-29-2010, 08:16 PM
Noticed Captain Bu|l**** here didn't address my reply to him.

It's OK Cap, we both know why.

Yup we both know why I ignored you.
While I was explaining bad calls, you bring up arguments unrelated to my contention.

But I'll humor you now.

Hmmm, we play the Ravens twice a season. The season is 16 games.
I am no math wiz but that tells me it is a 50/50 chance we play the Ravens in the first four games.

I don't even know what your point is.

Again not really related but is your point that Goodell is anti-Rooney?

Why is it Crash that Rooney II goes out of his way to support the Commish so often?

Crash
11-29-2010, 11:55 PM
Hmmm, we play the Ravens twice a season. The season is 16 games.

I am no math wiz but that tells me it is a 50/50 chance we play the Ravens in the first four games.

And you think it's mere coincidence that the first meeting takes place in Pittsburgh without Ben who is 6-1 vs the Ravens at home?

I don't even know what your point is.

My point is Goodell doesn't care about the league, it's image, or anything. He only cares about what he gets out of the players.

Ben haters loath the sense of entitlement Ben allegedly felt with his attitude. But if anything the NFL is guilty of fueling Ben's mindset.

Yeah they'll convict him in their Kangaroo Court, but we'll make sure to A) Not schedule the Ben-less Steelers in prime time, and B) Make sure to schedule them 5 times when Ben gets back.

If Ben felt he was above the team? The NFL is guilty of doing the same thing.

feltdizz
11-30-2010, 10:25 AM
So... the NFL and Goodell made Ben into a perceived monster in GA because they scheduled 5 prime time games for the upcoming season?

:wft are you really trying to blame the future for Ben's off field mind set? You don't think the success of the past had anything to do with his mindset?

Are you really that freaking off your rocker? You need to hug a puppy. You are losing it.

feltdizz
11-30-2010, 10:30 AM
If Ben felt he was above the team? The NFL is guilty of doing the same thing.

It's about time you placed blame at Ben's feet.

You do know pointing out 2 wrongs doesn't make something right... :wink:

The NFL is wrong for flagging Harrison for breathing on QB's... the NFL is wrong for the random fines... the NFL is wrong for the lack of suspensions for Johnson and the idiot from TN.

Not sure what any of these have to do with scheduling prime time games though :lol:

Crash
11-30-2010, 12:05 PM
Yo Cap? Address this OK?

And you think it's mere coincidence that the first meeting takes place in Pittsburgh without Ben who is 6-1 vs the Ravens at home?

So... the NFL and Goodell made Ben into a perceived monster in GA because they scheduled 5 prime time games for the upcoming season?

No stupid, they made him a monster in the court of public opinion when they suspended him.

Then, the NFL is guilty of EXPLOITING Ben's return for higher ratings when they schedule him in 5 prime time games.

feltdizz
11-30-2010, 02:07 PM
Yo Cap? Address this OK?

No stupid, they made him a monster in the court of public opinion when they suspended him.

Then, the NFL is guilty of EXPLOITING Ben's return for higher ratings when they schedule him in 5 prime time games.

If they didn't have us in any prime time games you would b!tch about that too....

I would say the scheduling of prime time games is the one think that the NFL did right. I could care less about exploiting Ben or whatever you think the motive is... the NFL shows games on TV and we usually get a few prime time games.

I don't see it as an "a-ha, gotcha" moment.

Crash
11-30-2010, 02:36 PM
the NFL shows games on TV and we usually get a few prime time games.

Games 1-6 (Ben's original suspension) ALL 1 PM games.

Games 7-16 (If Ben serves full 6 games) five prime time games.

If you think that is also a mere coincidence, you too, are a fool.

It's exploitation of the Ben situation, period.

proudpittsburgher
11-30-2010, 02:41 PM

While I generally agree with you on this topic, they could have kept them off of primetime pre Ben's return because they thought the team wouldn't be good enough to gain an audience outside of Steelers fans. I don't think any of us really were confident in a 3-1 (should have been a 4-0) start without Ben. Can't imagine the execs would have either.

feltdizz
11-30-2010, 03:05 PM

I'm not sure why you think you uncovered some gem with the NFL and their sponsors wanting to put the Steelers in prime time WITH Ben.

Who wants to watch the Pats, Saints, Colts, Chargers or Packers in prime time with their back up?

Look at our first 4 games...
ATL? nope.. first week is reserved for last years playoff teams.
Tennessee? Hmm.... nope.
Tampa? hell no.
Baltimore could have been prime time but remember, the Ravens b!tched about playing a late game so early in the season and begged for a 1PM.

You go ahead and use the prime time schedule as proof of "exploiting Ben"
I always thought the NFL was trying to exploit themselves every week since they put the games on TV. :roll:

feltdizz
11-30-2010, 03:17 PM

While I generally agree with you on this topic, they could have kept them off of primetime pre Ben's return because they thought the team wouldn't be good enough to gain an audience outside of Steelers fans. I don't think any of us really were confident in a 3-1 (should have been a 4-0) start without Ben. Can't imagine the execs would have either.

:Agree

who wants to see a team's second string QB in prime time instead of the franchise QB? Were any of our first 4 games rating kings? They were semi-boring, ugly, gritty games IMO.

Even if we went 4-0 the first 4 games... I wouldn't want any part of the Steelers without Ben if I'm a media buyer.

I'm just amazed at the prime time argument. Ben was punished for off field an off field incident. Why would the NFL hide him once he returned? We are a fun team to watch with him on the field. I could see if he cheated the game or took roids but he did his time. I would be very pizzed if we had 4 prime time games without him and none with him.

Would that make Crash happy? Would it show the NFL has principles they stick by or would it be stupid? 8)

ikestops85
11-30-2010, 06:15 PM
Don't the networks figure in choosing the prime time games? I'm sure they don't want the Steelers prime time without their marquee quarterback. They want ratings and Ben provides them with a controversial story line which generates them. I think it's only common sense and not any type of conspiracy.

BradshawsHairdresser
11-30-2010, 06:56 PM
Harrison gets fined $25,000 for his hit on Fitzpatrick?

No conspiracy? Don't make me laugh...

hawaiiansteel
11-30-2010, 07:13 PM
Harrison gets fined $25,000 for his hit on Fitzpatrick?

No conspiracy? Don't make me laugh...

James Harrison Should Punch Somebody And Get His Money’s Worth

Posted on November 30, 2010 by adam

Here’s some news that is sure to shock you: James Harrison was fined $25,000 for his hit on Ryan Fitzpatrick against the Bills on Sunday. If you’re keeping track at home, that’s the same amount of money Oakland’s Richard Seymour was fined for sucker punching Ben Roethlisberger after a play, and the same amount Tennessee’s Cortland Finnegan and Houston’s Andre Johnson were fined for their helmet-less fist fight on Sunday.

http://www.steelerslounge.com/2010/1...-moneys-worth/

ALLD
11-30-2010, 08:53 PM
The commissioner's office has become the Bermuda Triangle for the Steelers.

hawaiiansteel
12-02-2010, 02:45 PM
Starkey: Anti-Steelers conspiracy?

By Joe Starkey, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, December 2, 2010

Next time James Harrison has a quarterback in his sights, he should forgo the idea of, you know, tackling him and consider three other options, all of which carry minimal consequences — or none at all — within the NFL's crack justice system:

• Sucker punch the quarterback in the jaw.

• Rip the dude's helmet off and pound his skull like a slab of beef.

• Wait 'til he drops to his knees, then leap on his back with full body weight and twist his limbs like light bulbs.

Why not? Such actions apparently do not merit any more of a punishment than what Harrison got for attempting to make a legal tackle — and perhaps doing so — the other day in Buffalo.

What a league. As an entertainment entity, it is a brilliant, raging success. As a de facto court of law, it is a laughable farce.

Miraculously, commissioner Roger Goodell & Co. have almost managed to make wacko Steelers conspiracy theorists seem sane. Those people believe the league is out to get their team, as if damaging one of the NFL's flagship franchises would be a productive move, as if Dan Rooney wasn't one of Goodell's most influential backers when the owners hired Goodell.

Nobody's out to get the Steelers.

It just looks that way.

I mean, even mortal enemies such as Ravens linebacker Terrell Suggs will tell you Harrison has been singled out. He said as much Wednesday, on a conference call, opining that Harrison has been "red-flagged."

"If he breathes on a quarterback, he might get a flag," Suggs said. "They're looking at him more closely than anyone in the league."

Without question, Steelers players believe their team has been unfairly targeted. Consider their reaction to Harrison's hit on Buffalo quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick.

The on-field official said Harrison used the crown of his helmet. He didn't. I haven't defended all of Harrison's questionable hits, but this was a bad call. Yet, the league re-defined the play and fined Harrison $25,000.

Safety Ryan Clark's take: "We know the NFL is going to protect quarterbacks — all of them except ours."

Who can blame him for thinking that way, when abusers of his quarterback have faced such paltry punishment? Two weeks ago, Raiders lineman Richard Seymour — a repeat offender — sucker-punched Ben Roethlisberger in the head as the latter went to celebrate a touchdown.

Talk about a defenseless player. Talk about an egregious head shot.

Yet, Seymour was not suspended. He was ejected from a game that was rapidly becoming a blowout and fined $25,000. Somehow, his assault fell into the category of "fight," so he was subjected to NFL's fine scale for fighting.

Which raises a question: What's to stop somebody from cold-cocking a quarterback late in a blowout when all he'll face is an ejection and a puny fine?

More to the point, why wouldn't a coach instruct a player to do exactly that, especially if the quarterback in question might be facing his team in the playoffs in a few weeks?

That'd be nice: NFL teams hiring goons, just like the NHL.

Speaking of hockey, you must have seen Texans receiver Andre Johnson rip the helmet off Titans cornerback Cortland Finnegan — something a hockey player would do — and pummel him. Finnegan (repeat offender) instigated the bout with a two-hand shiver to Johnson's face.

Both were given game misconducts, er, ejections, but the game was already in the fourth quarter, so how much weight did that punishment carry? Neither player was suspended. Johnson is free to play in tonight's NFL Network game against the Eagles. He and Finnegan were fined $25,000 apiece.

Same as Harrison.

By its actions, the NFL has equated a brawl with a borderline hit on a quarterback.

Meanwhile, there wasn't even a flag thrown in Buffalo when Roethlisberger went to his knees and 310-pound Marcus Stroud jumped on his back, and stayed there, as teammate Arthur Moats twisted Roethlisberger's leg and gave him a hockey-style facewash.

Hines Ward had the perfect word to describe the NFL yesterday, specifically relating to the league's alleged concern for player safety even as it pushes for an 18-game season:

"Hypocrites."

It's easy to see why Roethlisberger answered the way he did, too, when asked if Seymour's punishment would have been harsher if he'd clocked Peyton Manning or Tom Brady.

"We all know the answer to that one," he said. "Easy."

I disagree. I don't think the league is out to get the Steelers.

I'm just having a hard time proving it right now.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 11816.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_711816.html)

Crash
12-02-2010, 02:49 PM
Once again, for your reading enjoyment...

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/ ... _deep.html (http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/blog/2010/08/goodells_ties_to_baltimore_run_deep.html)

hawaiiansteel
12-02-2010, 03:32 PM
Once again, for your reading enjoyment...

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/ ... _deep.html (http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/blog/2010/08/goodells_ties_to_baltimore_run_deep.html)

thanks Crash, I had not read that before. :Cheers