PDA

View Full Version : How to beat the Ravens next week

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-28-2010, 07:14 PM
Rush, rush, rush, sack, sack, sack.

The Bucs are probably going to lose this game, but that's not the point - they have sacked him 3 times, have done a lot of zone blitzing, and Felacco looks Flustered. We have the personnel to do it ... let's do it. Bring the HOUSE!!

I'm watching this game, and I gotta say, the Ravens look BEATABLE by us.

Some no huddle, soften them up with some play action passes, and let Mendy get another 150.

Crash
11-28-2010, 07:17 PM
Stay out of 3rd and longs. Play fast. Slants, WR screens, dump offs to RB's on first and second down. Use Earl.

DukieBoy
11-28-2010, 07:26 PM
The NO HUDDLE might keep the game quick and wear out their fatboys and oldboys.

I fear we might see the true value of a trench-owning O-line, and our need to invest in one.

Steelhere10
11-28-2010, 07:33 PM
I thought you was gonna say, Sit Lebeau down and take 2 hammers to his head and concuss him back to his mid 40 age. Also take Bruce kidnap him and let a fat white guy pose as him. Other than that although I think we will win I think in the long run these two will be the fall of this team. Aka Dumb and Dumber.

Dee Dub
11-28-2010, 08:20 PM
The problem with beating the Ravens isnt what we do or dont do on defense. Even last time without getting much pressure on Flacco the Steelers defense still only gave up 17 points. The problem is offense....or offensive philosophy I should say. The Steelers are going to try..even to a point of redundentaly overstating it..to run the football. And I am sorry.....versus the Ravens they can't. They have never been able too run against them and they probably never will be able too. It sucks to have to say this but it is true. The Ravens have long been built to stop the run and they have always been able to do so versus the Steelers. But the Steelers will insist on doing so and will more than likely become stagnent on offense as a result. It's the Steelers mind set...or what they insist is their formula for success. No matter what their personel is they will insist on running the ball. Even when their opponent consistantly stops them and their own personel is better suited for throwing the football.

What they should do is spread the Ravens defense out. Negate their blitz. Make that blitz more recognizable and have to come from a greater distance. More play action on first downs to capitilize on the over aggressive Ravens run blitz. But they wont. They will run on first and second downs without success and then be put in must pass situations. And as a result Ben will be under a heavy pass rush.

Baltimore 23
Pittsburgh 13

ALLD
11-28-2010, 08:32 PM
Move the ball with short passes to open up the run to the outside. Then throw it deep to Wallace with PAP.

Dee Dub
11-28-2010, 08:35 PM
Move the ball with short passes to open up the run to the outside. Then throw it deep to Wallace with PAP.

This is exactly what I am talking about. The idea that there is something the Steelers can do that will enable them to run versus the Ravens.

They can't folks. When are we as fans and them as a team going to understand this??

Crash
11-28-2010, 08:42 PM
I think they can run a tad and stay out of 2nd and 10 if they run from a spread set.

If we insist on using tight ends? We should just throw every down.

Dee Dub
11-28-2010, 08:50 PM
I think they can run a tad and stay out of 2nd and 10 if they run from a spread set.

If we insist on using tight ends? We should just throw every down.

Do you really think the Steelers will try to run a tad??? Or will they try to run a lot??

Hmmmmmmm????

Crash
11-28-2010, 08:51 PM
tad = some success, not minimal attempts.

David Johnson needs to be glued to the bench.

Dee Dub
11-28-2010, 08:54 PM
tad = some success, not minimal attempts.

tad success with "not" a minimal amount of attempts is the formula for a loss versus a team who is built to stop the run.

Steelgal
11-28-2010, 09:02 PM
Reading on the Rats board earlier. Basically they said they have same problem the Steelers do, trouble against quick passes and dink and dunk. That's not the Steelers game and Arians is TOO stubborn to actually game plan for a defenses weakness unfortunately.

BradshawsHairdresser
11-28-2010, 09:21 PM
Get a couple of better offensive linemen and a new OC.

Have Tomlin assert himself over LeBeau with defensive adjustments.

SteelCrazy
11-28-2010, 09:21 PM
We almost lost today because we ran a tad too much. Ben only had 5 pass attempts at the 10 minute mark in the 4th. I lost track after that, but Marty Ball almost got us beat. We need a good dose and mix of passing against the turds along with a very aggressive D.

flippy
11-28-2010, 11:44 PM
David Johnson needs to be glued to the bench.

I was just about to type don't dress Johnson :)

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-28-2010, 11:48 PM
I remember one or two plays in the last few weeks where he really opened up a hole for Mendy. But today I noticed that he would sort of throw himself into a pile, but not really open anything up.

Who are you guys thinking would play instead of Johnson?

NJ-STEELER
11-29-2010, 12:39 AM
per florio

oher dinged his knee. says sprain for now

grotonsteel
11-29-2010, 01:21 AM
Steelers should Pass-Pass-Pass against Ratbirds.....No point running against Ngata...

Djfan
11-29-2010, 01:51 AM
The problem with beating the Ravens isnt what we do or dont do on defense. Even last time without getting much pressure on Flacco the Steelers defense still only gave up 17 points. The problem is offense....or offensive philosophy I should say. The Steelers are going to try..even to a point of redundentaly overstating it..to run the football. And I am sorry.....versus the Ravens they can't. They have never been able too run against them and they probably never will be able too. It sucks to have to say this but it is true. The Ravens have long been built to stop the run and they have always been able to do so versus the Steelers. But the Steelers will insist on doing so and will more than likely become stagnent on offense as a result. It's the Steelers mind set...or what they insist is their formula for success. No matter what their personel is they will insist on running the ball. Even when their opponent consistantly stops them and their own personel is better suited for throwing the football.

What they should do is spread the Ravens defense out. Negate their blitz. Make that blitz more recognizable and have to come from a greater distance. More play action on first downs to capitilize on the over aggressive Ravens run blitz. But they wont. They will run on first and second downs without success and then be put in must pass situations. And as a result Ben will be under a heavy pass rush.

Baltimore 23
Pittsburgh 13

Took the words right out of my mouth.

It's sad, but except for the Johnson comments, the focus of us all is coaching. Hmm

flippy
11-29-2010, 01:54 AM
I remember one or two plays in the last few weeks where he really opened up a hole for Mendy. But today I noticed that he would sort of throw himself into a pile, but not really open anything up.

Who are you guys thinking would play instead of Johnson?

Sanders

flippy
11-29-2010, 02:00 AM
I also want to add, I like Johnson. Just not how predictably BA uses him.

Chadman
11-29-2010, 02:15 AM
For all the 'Doom & Gloom' talk on this board, the Steelers are still sitting pretty & are in position to take out the division. This game against the Ravens is massive.

It's probably time for the coaches to re-evaluate how the season is going- look at what has & has not been successful.

Chadman hears all the cries for adjustment during a game, and agrees to a certain degree- but on the same line, you don't want to deviate too far from what makes the team successful- trying to play 'like the Pats/Ravens/Colts etc' is a good way of playing away from your strengths & playing into the oppositions hands.

Ben is clearly the key to the offense. It is in the coaches bst interest to put the ball in his hands to win the game. If the Steelers really want to play a 50-50 game, it's not necessary to play 50-50 every series to achieve that. They could pass-pass-pass for a few series- try to spread the Ravens out- then revert to running the majority a few series later- mix it up- not just abort one style to play a different way.

On Defense- Sir LeBeau needs to commit to one style or another- either blitz heavy, or find a better zone pass defense style. This hybrid...nothingness defense we've seen is completely reactionary- not the Steelers style. The Steelers should be determined to set the tone, one way or another- and be patient & committed to it. In Chadman's opinion- the Steelers DB's are not good enough to play without a flat-out pass rush, so the Steelers should be getting 'exotic' & send the boys after the QB as much as possible. It might, however, be time to keep Troy predominantly in a zone D- allowing our best DB the ability to sit back & cover the pass- less pass rushing from amongst the big hogs.

All that being said- the key to beating the Ravens will come from one simple element- don't allow them to be 'in the game' with 1 quarter to go. The Steelers need to be ahead by 2 or more scores entering the last 15- and then not sit back & pass defend- but go after the Ravens- go for the throat.

That, and they need to score more than the Ravens by full time. They do that, Chadman gaurentee's the Steelers win.

Djfan
11-29-2010, 03:06 AM
It's probably time for the coaches to re-evaluate how the season is going- look at what has & has not been successful.

It sounded great, but this part seems to be out of their world view.

AngryAsian
11-29-2010, 07:20 AM
Since 2007 including playoffs... Ben is 5-0 when visiting the ratbirds, with a 9-2 TD to INT ratio. We have a good to great chance of winning this upcoming game, regardless of all the doom and gloom.

SidSmythe
11-29-2010, 08:41 AM
Glue Kemo to the bench???

Hope Kyle Williams gets released by the Bills and signs w/ the Steelers???