PDA

View Full Version : The call on Deebo

Stewie
11-28-2010, 06:36 PM
was in the top 5 worst calls of all time. It changed the whole tone of the game.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-28-2010, 07:05 PM
was in the top 5 worst calls of all time. It changed the whole tone of the game.

I saw only one replay. On that quick view it looked like he was leading with the crown of his head. If that's what happened, and if it's illegal, then it's a penalty. It won't be a subjective thing, one way or the other.

Crash
11-28-2010, 07:07 PM
And the non call on Kelsay on Moore before that was bad also.

Eddie Spaghetti
11-28-2010, 07:26 PM
you guys are out of your minds.

thats been a flag for two years now.

calmkiller
11-28-2010, 07:35 PM

Yup

RuthlessBurgher
11-28-2010, 10:00 PM
I didn't like the call, but it was borderline. The calls last week against Clark, Harrison, Woodley, and Taylor were all among the worst of all time without question.

hawaiiansteel
11-28-2010, 10:05 PM
Ed: Ben R., Others Hurt

SUNDAY, 28 NOVEMBER 2010 18:53 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

The cost of winning another ballgame came at another price for the Steelers in what has become a year of injuries for them.

One of them was quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who stayed in the game despite an injury to his right foot that will undergo more tests back home. Coach Mike Tomlin called it a foot sprain immediately after the game.

"My foot was in the ground and someone was driving me backwards and my foot couldn't get out of the ground, so my knee just got bent sideways,'' Roethlsiberger said.

The Steelers also lost another defensive end, Nick Eason, to a sprained medial collateral ligament in his left knee. Chris Hoke replaced Eason.

The team entered the game with both starting defensive ends on the shelf with injuries. Aaron Smith (triceps) likely won’t return until at least late in the season and Brett Keisel missed his fifth of the past six games with what the Steelers have variously described as calf and hamstring injuries.

Cornerback Bryant McFadden also left the contest for good with a hamstring injury. He was replaced in the regular defense by William Gay. Anthony Madison became the fifth defensive back when they used the nickel and Keenan Lewis joined them to make it six when they played the dime.

###

Linebacker James Harrison, already fined $100,000 for three hits this season, found himself in hot water again on Sunday, at least with the game officials after they flagged him for roughing Buffalo quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick in the third quarter.

Referee John Parry announced that Harrison was penalized for “leading with his helmet” when he hit the quarterback in the chest.

Harrison defended the hit later, saying it was a textbook tackle and that officials are becoming paranoid about not making calls because of pressure from the league. He compared it to his penalty the previous week on Oakland quarterback Jason Campbell – a penalty for roughing the passer that Harrison also said was legal and did not draw a fine from the league.

“There’s nothing wrong about the play,’’ Harrison said. “I just felt like it’s getting to a point where the refs feel like if they don’t make the call they may be in trouble. So if it is or it isn’t a bad play if it’s questionable.’’

On what coach Mike Tomlin told him right afterward:

“He just told me to keep playing.’’

###

Harrison also registered his 10th sack of the season and one of only two by the Steelers Sunday. James Farrior had the other. Not only did it match his entire total from 2009, it’s the third season in a row he’s hit double-digits, beginning with his team-record 16 in 2008.

He is the only player in team history to have at least 10 in three consecutive seasons.

“It’s not going to change the way I play,’’ Harrison said of his penalty.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...medium=twitter

Slapstick
11-28-2010, 10:09 PM
KDKA showed a pic of the ref BEFORE Harrison got there and his hand was already on the flag. That flag was coming regardless....

Slapstick
11-28-2010, 10:11 PM
KDKA showed a pic of the ref BEFORE Harrison got there and his hand was already on the flag. That flag was coming regardless....

Slapstick

Flasteel

Yup

Look at the video before you guys start calling the rest of us delusional. At worst the hit was borderline.

Harrison's head and hands are basically on the same plane as he contacts Fitzpatrick. Since Fizpatrick's head comes down and contacts Harrison's helmet, where does that tell you the initial point of contact was made? I'd say that would be his chest.

Look for yourself and decide

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2010/11/ja ... ick-video/ (http://www.steelersdepot.com/2010/11/james-harrison-hit-on-ryan-fitzpatrick-video/)

(sorry...didn't figure out how to embed this particular video)

proudpittsburgher
11-28-2010, 10:17 PM
I would love to see a replay of the hit from another angle before I deem it a horrible call, but I agree that the ref threw the flag very very quickly. He didn't even give himself a second to think about it. Certainly didn't seem reactionary to th eplay, rather it came so quick it was as if he decided to reach for it before contact even took place.

Shoe
11-28-2010, 10:21 PM

Yup

Look at the video before you guys start calling the rest of us delusional. At worst the hit was borderline.

Dude... you can argue that it's stupid that the league chooses to penalize what (in the past 100 years of the game) has been a textbook tackle. But you are being a homer if you are saying that can't be a penalty in today's day & age.

Flasteel
11-28-2010, 10:32 PM

Yup

Dude... you can argue that it's stupid that the league chooses to penalize what (in the past 100 years of the game) has been a textbook tackle. But you are being a homer if you are saying that can't be a penalty in today's day & age.

Here it is in HD brother. His arms are actually extended beyond Fitzpatrick as his helmet and shoulder collide with Fitzpatrick's chest.

[youtube:2u86ecm1]lwS8Clfp2vM[/youtube:2u86ecm1]

I said it was at worst a borderline call. As a Steeler fan, guess which side I take along that border. Way to step up for your team dude.

Shoe
11-28-2010, 10:39 PM
Here it is in HD brother. His arms are actually extended beyond Fitzpatrick as his helmet and shoulder collide with Fitzpatrick's chest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwS8Clfp2vM

I said it was at worst a borderline call. As a Steeler fan, guess which side I take along that border. Way to step up for your team dude.

What I'm saying is that the call was made, and I can not argue why he might make that call. It's a bang-bang call...

So it's irrespective of the fact that it might look (on replay) to be a bad call.

focosteeler
11-28-2010, 10:47 PM

you got a link?? id like to see it

DukieBoy
11-28-2010, 10:48 PM

Yup

[youtube:10rvcsi0]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lwS8Clfp2vM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lwS8Clfp2vM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube:10rvcsi0]

I stopped this video at 30 seconds. It shows the initial contact. Harrison's facemask is in the QB's chest and his hands are forward too. If the crown of his helmet is the top of his head, I don't see that evidence there. It looks like a good hit to me. That flag came in quick, like an impulse call, not a deliberative call.

Flasteel
11-28-2010, 10:50 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwS8Clfp2vM

What I'm saying is that the call was made, and I can not argue why he might make that call. It's a bang-bang call...

So it's irrespective of the fact that it might look (on replay) to be a bad call.

I get that no amount of bitching is going to change the call that was made. But after viewing the second video, I'd say this is a highly questionable call.

Maybe Harrison's style of play has drawn attention to himself (as evidenced by the quick flag), but here's one thing we've learned about late hits on the quarterback. If you're flagged for it in the game, you will get a fine if it's legit. Harrison received no fine last week, which tells me the league viewed that hit as legal - despite the penalty.

He was screwed in last week's and my gut tells me the league will let us know that he was screwed here too.

Shoe
11-28-2010, 11:06 PM
I'm not even talking about bitching about a call... hell, as soon as I saw that call, I did that exact thing (texting a bunch of friends about it). But you and the original TS (who said it's top 5 worst all-time calls... apparently this guy was born in 2006 and missed the Pete Morelli call) seem to be saying you have no clue why a flag was thrown, and that I don't agree with.

I would say that the hold call on Kemo that negated Mendenhall's run was more inexpicable. We all know how much they protect QBs. We know that when you tend to blast into the QB, you run a large risk of drawing a flag. That's just the way the NFL is these days.

Flasteel
11-28-2010, 11:34 PM
I'm not even talking about bitching about a call... hell, as soon as I saw that call, I did that exact thing (texting a bunch of friends about it). But you and the original TS (who said it's top 5 worst all-time calls... apparently this guy was born in 2006 and missed the Pete Morelli call) seem to be saying you have no clue why a flag was thrown, and that I don't agree with.

I would say that the hold call on Kemo that negated Mendenhall's run was more inexpicable. We all know how much they protect QBs. We know that when you tend to blast into the QB, you run a large risk of drawing a flag. That's just the way the NFL is these days.

No way it's in my all-time top 5. I've seen 5 worse calls this year alone.

Still a bad call, and bad calls keep coming each week.

Discipline of Steel
11-28-2010, 11:41 PM
Im starting to hope there is no football next year if the players dont INSIST on a reasonable penalty and fine process for tackling. It has to be simple and applicable to all players. I would be a proponent of a Spearing or Nothing rule.

What is going on now..."I dont even want to talk about it."

chiken
11-29-2010, 12:35 AM
They flagged the man last week for basically hitting another grown man to hard. Why are we surprised at how fast the Ref Grabbed for his flag. The Ref saw how fast James was coming, he knew it was going to be a hard shot. In this League that is a No No..

hawaiiansteel
11-29-2010, 01:34 AM
Harrison pleads innocent on latest hit

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, November 29, 2010

http://photos.triblive.com/photos/PITT/1124941/32921398E.jpg

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- James Harrison said he did nothing wrong on the play that resulted in a personal foul penalty yesterday and will be reviewed by the NFL this week.

The Steelers' outside linebacker said some unlikely sources will back up his claim that he made a legal hit when he belted Ryan Fitzpatrick in the chest as the Bills quarterback released a pass in the Steelers' 19-16 overtime win.

"The whole (Bills') offensive line," Harrison said. "Ain't never had that one. That's a first."

Harrison said he does not expect the NFL to fine him for the play. His greater concern is that such a penalty will eventually cost the Steelers a game.

Yesterday's game pivoted a couple of plays after Harrison was called for roughing the passer for the third time in the past five weeks.

The Steelers were leading, 13-0, and firmly in control before Fred Jackson caught a slant pass and turned it into a 65-yard touchdown. Three plays earlier, Harrison slammed into Fitzpatrick on second-and-10 from the Bills' 20-yard line.

He was penalized for leading with his helmet on the hit.

"They're making these calls and when it comes down to it, it's a possibility that it could cost us the game," Harrison said.

Harrison and coach Mike Tomlin were clearly upset about the call after it happened.

Tomlin did not comment on the officiating after the Steelers had to sweat out their eighth win of the season.

"I'm not even going to talk about it," he said.

Harrison said just as with Raiders quarterback Jason Campbell a week earlier, he made sure he did not land on Fitzpatrick.

He did not get fined for his roughing-the-passer penalty against the Raiders. The three-time Pro Bowler said he should not have been flagged for it yesterday.

"I guess referees are getting to a point where they're afraid not to make a call," Harrison said.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 11403.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_711403.html)

Crash
11-29-2010, 01:50 AM
And somehow they all missed Kelsay grabbing Mewelde Moore on 3rd down deep in Bills territory.