View Full Version : On NFLN right now

Djfan
11-27-2010, 07:45 PM
About the Steelers:

"They are old, and it will be tough for them in the stretch."

Mike Mayock

Crash
11-27-2010, 08:21 PM
He could be right. Maybe part of our 4th quarter lapses is scheme AND they get tired. The defense's average age is 30.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-27-2010, 08:24 PM
First of all, it's just the way I like it ... not just under the radar, but getting dissed. I do believe we do worse when we are anointed, and better in times like these.

Second ... are we really that old? With Wallace, Brown, Sanders having playing time/starting. With Pouncey starting? With Foster and Hood getting playing time?

If the average age of our D is a bit higher than other teams' (and I don't know that it is) I think it reflects that our "old guys" are just so good that it's harder for younger guys to break in compared to other teams.

birtikidis
11-27-2010, 08:28 PM
Well, Flozell is the oldest guy on the team.. Farrior will be 36 before the superbowl.. Harrison is what.. 32? I think we have one defensive lineman under 30 (ziggy).
yea they're old.

RuthlessBurgher
11-27-2010, 09:40 PM
I consider players in their early-to-mid-20's to be young players.
These are guys that are typically still playing out their rookie contracts (cheap labor).

I consider players in their late-20's-to-early-30's to be players in the prime of their career.
These are guys that are typically on that all-important second contract (usually your biggest long term contracts with huge signing bonuses fall in this level).

I consider players in their mid-to-late-30's to be old players.
These are guys that are typically playing out the string (short term deals for guys that often have to take pay cuts from what they were making in their heyday).

Starters right now:

QB Roethlisberger 28 (PRIME)
WR Ward 34 (OLD)
WR Wallace 24 (YOUNG)
RB Mendenhall 23 (YOUNG)
FB Johnson 23 (YOUNG)
TE Miller 28 (PRIME)
LT Scott 27 (PRIME)
LG Kemoeatu 27 (PRIME)
C Pouncey 21 (YOUNG)
RG Foster 24 (YOUNG)
RT Adams 35 (OLD)

DE Hood 23 (YOUNG)
NT Hampton 33 (OLD)
DE Eason 30 (PRIME)
OLB Woodley 26 (YOUNG)
ILB Timmons 24 (YOUNG)
ILB Farrior 35 (OLD)
OLB Harrison 32 (PRIME)
CB McFadden 29 (PRIME)
SS Polamalu 29 (PRIME)
FS Clark 31 (PRIME)
CB Taylor 30 (PRIME)

By my count, that's 4 old starters, 8 young starters, and 10 starters in the prime of their careers. I bet this isn't much different than what most other teams are throwing out there each Sunday (although teams that are essentially out of the running may try to skew younger at this point of the season for rebuilding purposes to see what they have for the future).

calmkiller
11-27-2010, 10:01 PM
So you are saying that a 32 year old is prime but a 33 year old is old. 32 is 10 years of experience in the league. That is retirement age. Average career is 5 years.

Djfan
11-27-2010, 10:17 PM
So you are saying that a 32 year old is prime but a 33 year old is old. 32 is 10 years of experience in the league. That is retirement age. Average career is 5 years.

I have never understood this either. It's Harrison that we're talking about here. He is old. People say that it doesn't count as years on his body because he only came to the league a few years back.

Let's remember that he was doing his thing in the NFL Europe for a few years in that time. He did get bashed about there too.

I still think that he has a few years left. He is still on a great level, IMO.

Crash
11-27-2010, 10:21 PM
IMO once a DL hits 30? He's old.

tiproast
11-27-2010, 10:36 PM
IMO once a DL hits 30? He's old.
Some great defensive linemen have had long, productive careers.

Reggie White, Bruce Smith, Ted Washington, to name a few.

However, I agree with you that most DL are on the downside after age 30.

RuthlessBurgher
11-28-2010, 10:36 AM

I specified that I consider players in their late-20's-to-early-30's to be players in the prime of their career and I consider players in their mid-to-late-30's to be old players. You have to make the cut-off point somewhere, and it seems to me that 32 still falls in the early-30's category, while 33 starts getting into the mid-30's range.

Besides, comparing Hampton and Harrison is night and day. Casey has been a regular starter since 2001. James has been a regular starter since 2007. Snack has more than twice as many starts on his resume compared to Deebo (131 to 65). Not to mention that DL experience more wear and tear on their bodies in the trenches than LB's typically do.

Oviedo
11-28-2010, 10:51 AM
The defense needs to figure how to get younger players contributing sooner and on the field. This has been a problem for years which is why we have a large number of over 30 starters. This is something LeBeau has to figure out because we can't waste the first 3 years of a player's career while they learn the complex scheme or complete a position conversion from DT to DE or DE to OLB.