PDA

View Full Version : Mendenhall being slowed by opposing teams' defenses

fordfixer
11-27-2010, 03:27 AM
Mendenhall being slowed by opposing teams' defenses
By John Harris, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, November 27, 2010
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 11163.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_711163.html)

• Rashard Mendenhall hasn't had a 100-yard rushing performance since carrying 19 times for 143 yards and a touchdown against Tampa Bay on Sept. 26 — a span pf eight games. Mendenhall said he isn't anxious to break the 100-yard barrier again after doing it twice in his first three games. "We have to execute as an offense better in our running game, and those kind of games will happen,'' Mendenhall said following Friday's practice. "You'd like to have that. We're taking steps forward, but our test is on Sundays. That's when we'll know.''

• If the Steelers offensive line remains status quo Sunday afternoon at Buffalo with Ramon Foster at right guard, it will mark the second consecutive week that unit has started. Due to injuries, the offensive line has featured five different starting lineups.

• Defensive end Brett Keisel is finally recovered from a nagging hamstring injury. Keisel missed two starts, then returned against Cincinnati, only to leave early in that game and miss the next two starts. "It's been frustrating to sit on the sideline,'' Keisel said. "I'm definitely excited to get back in the mix and push through December.''

• Rookie wide receiver Antonio Brown, who received his first action last week after being inactive for five consecutive games, is out with a knee injury. Tight end Matt Spaeth (concussion) is doubtful.

• Buffalo guard Eric Wood (ankle) is out. Former Steelers third-round draft pick Kraig Urbik, who was released prior to the start of the regular season, will start. Defensive tackle Spencer Johnson (hamstring) is out. Cornerback Terrence McGee (knee) and running back C.J. Spiller (hamstring) are questionable.

Crash
11-27-2010, 02:20 PM
No he isn't. He's being slowed because everyone in the stadium knows when we use our multiple TE sets we are running the ball.

Predictability = Futility.

hawaiiansteel
11-27-2010, 02:37 PM
No he isn't. He's being slowed because everyone in the stadium knows when we use our multiple TE sets we are running the ball.

when I played high school football whichever side our TE was on was the side we ran the ball to. opposing defenses would yell, "they're running this way"...

reminds me of Bruce Arians and his use of David Johnson. :(

grotonsteel
11-27-2010, 02:55 PM

when I played high school football whichever side our TE was on was the side we ran the ball to. opposing defenses would yell, "they're running this way"...

reminds me of Bruce Arians and his use of David Johnson. :(

:Agree

David Johnson = 99% Run Play...

Draft a true blocking FB . I know BA does not like FB because it becomes predictable but putting DJ in their is also predictable. ATleast put a great blocking FB and make life easy for Mendy.

RuthlessBurgher
11-27-2010, 05:31 PM
Yup...Johnson's presence on the field has been a dead giveaway for whether we are going to run or pass (no need to look to see if a lineman's knuckles are white when Johnson is out there).

However, with Spaeth doubtful to play this weekend, they may be forced to use Johnson in more of a traditional #2 TE role instead of his typical H-back/fullback style. That would mean more Pony backfields with Redman and Mendenhall back there together, and we can do a lot more with that. Then use the Bronco package with Legursky at FB in short yardage and goalline situations.

steelcurtain44
11-27-2010, 06:04 PM
How about Mendy stop spining on every run play?

pepsyman1
11-27-2010, 07:24 PM

No argument from me on that one. The spin seems to work well for him once he's got some momentum going, but I'd rather he just hit the accelerator when he first gets the ball. He's a strong enough guy (when he puts his shoulder down and pulls the trigger) to break through the first level of tacklers IF he gets up to speed, when he stutters and spins in the backfield, the play is usually done.

hawaiiansteel
11-28-2010, 02:09 AM
Buffalo's run defense may be just what the doctor ordered for what ails Mendy...

Breaking down Steelers vs. Bills

By Mark Kaboly
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, November 28, 2010

3 REASONS WHY THE STEELERS WILL WIN

1) Rashard Mendenhall — Mendenhall should dominate the NFL's worst rush defense. Buffalo is allowing 163.5 yards rushing per game and has allowed a 100-yard rusher in three of the past four games.

2) Ike Taylor — Taylor is having a Pro Bowl season and has forced the opposition to look toward the opposite direction that he's lined up. He hasn't had more than one pass breakup in any single game this year, which means teams are looking elsewhere.

3) Mike Wallace — Wallace has been unstoppable of late, going over 100 yards in each of the past three games and catching four touchdowns over that span. He is averaging 23 yards per catch and has a career high eight touchdowns.

3 REASONS WHY THE STEELERS WILL LOSE

1) Offensive line —The Steelers offensive line is at their breaking point due to injuries and could disintegrate at any time. At one point against the Raiders, they had four backups on the field with two of them being undrafted guys.

2) Fitzpatrick/Johnson connection — Ryan Fitzpatrick has found a favorite target in receiver Steve Johnson. The two hooked up for three touchdowns against the Bengals last week and could provide matchup problems for the Steelers.

3) Penalties —The Steelers got away with an inordinate amount of penalties a week ago. They set a team record getting called for 14 penalties for 163 yards. Before last week, they were averaging 5.3 penalties per game.

Mark Kaboly can be reached at mkaboly@dailynewsemail.com or 412-664-9161.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 11289.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/print_711289.html)

LordVile
11-28-2010, 03:40 AM

No argument from me on that one. The spin seems to work well for him once he's got some momentum going, but I'd rather he just hit the accelerator when he first gets the ball. He's a strong enough guy (when he puts his shoulder down and pulls the trigger) to break through the first level of tacklers IF he gets up to speed, when he stutters and spins in the backfield, the play is usually done.

yeah man, I agree. the spin works once he gets momentum near the 2nd level. Use it sparingly up until that point.

BURGH86STEEL
11-28-2010, 08:58 AM
I believe they had several successful rush plays with Johnson in the game. They ran out of many different formations, with different players in the game.

IMO, the biggest problem with the rush game are the injuries to the Oline. Difficult to execute and maintain continuity with several back ups in the game.

redundantman
11-28-2010, 10:22 AM
That is the silliest headline I've seen in a while. Are the opposing defense supposed to help Mendenhall? Replace "opposing team's defenses" with "Bruce Arians predictable play calling", "the Ghost of Christmas Past" or "Bush's tax cuts" and you got yourself a winnar!