PDA

View Full Version : Keisel passes tests, ready for Bills

fordfixer
11-26-2010, 02:15 AM
Steelers Notebook: Keisel passes tests, ready for Bills
Friday, November 26, 2010
By Bill Brink, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10330/1106211-66.stm

Defensive end Brett Keisel said his hamstring is healed, and he is ready for the game Sunday against the Buffalo Bills.

"I feel good. I got two zeros, man, and a one," he said, referring to his 100 percent health. "I'm chomping at the bit to get back out there."

The hamstring kept him out of most of the past five games. He returned Nov. 8 against the Cincinnati Bengals, but reinjured the hamstring in the game.

"I think he's ready to go, definitely," defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau said. "The training staff gave him the OK to practice and he's practiced all week, I don't think he missed a snap."

Keisel was injured one game before Aaron Smith tore a triceps tendon against the Miami Dolphins Oct. 24, meaning Nick Eason and Ziggy Hood have played at end recently. While recovering, Keisel helped them, especially Hood, a second-year player, with the intricacies of the position.

"Just help them watch tape, help them look at the offensive lineman's stance -- any little tendency that you can get when you're on the field that can help you play faster and quicker, helps," Keisel said.

The toughest part about his recovery was regaining leg strength. It felt good at times, he said, but wasn't strong enough to return to play.

"The biggest thing was getting in the weight room, getting it strong, making sure I can do the movements that you have to do when you're out there battling," he said. "We've done all that, we have set goals and we've made our goals."

Keisel's return, LeBeau said, adds height and speed to the defensive line. Keisel can block passes at the line of scrimmage and chase down ball-carriers that other defensive linemen can't catch.

"He's a tremendous athlete," LeBeau said. "He's probably, athletically speaking for a defensive end, as good as anybody in the league."
With or without you

The line played equally well against the run with and without Keisel. In the five games in which he played extensively, opponents ran for 63.8 yards per game and two touchdowns. In the past five, where he played only sparingly in one game, opponents gained 62.4 rushing yards per game with two touchdowns.
Busy Sunday

Keisel's wife, Sarah, had their second child, Grace, Sunday. "The boys gave her a great welcoming present to the world by pounding the [Oakland] Raiders," Keisel said.
Injury update

Safety Troy Polamalu (ankle) and receiver Antonio Brown (knee) did not practice Thursday. Tight end Matt Spaeth (concussion) was a full participant in practice.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10330/11 ... z16MmXIwQD (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10330/1106211-66.stm#ixzz16MmXIwQD)

Oviedo
11-26-2010, 10:13 AM
Kiesel has never gotten the credit he deserves but IMO he is one of the best 3-4 DEs in the NFL. He is much better than even Aaron Smith at pressuring the QB.

1st and Goal--
11-26-2010, 11:14 AM
Kiesel has never gotten the credit he deserves but IMO he is one of the best 3-4 DEs in the NFL. He is much better than even Aaron Smith at pressuring the QB.

This is a good week to return. I had a hard time placing this QB so I looked him up and saw where he played at Cinci in 07 and 08. He played against the Steelers in both games in 08, so Keisel should be familiar with him. Fitzpatrick did not fare well against the Steelers then.

AzStillers1989
11-26-2010, 11:47 AM
KEISEL POWER!!!!! :tt1 :tt2

papillon
11-27-2010, 07:55 AM
It will be good to see the mountain man back in the lineup this week. My only wish is that he get through the game unscathed; hamstrings are as difficult injury to recover fully from and then go and play at 100% (which you know Kiesel will do).

Pappy

rpmpit
11-27-2010, 12:04 PM
Uhhhh, Bills this week??? Ravens and Jets over the next three weeks???

Anyone else think he should sit one more week? We're gonna need him 1000% healthy over the next two months.

costanza2k1
11-27-2010, 01:26 PM
Looks like he won't be playing after all...sucks being old

SteelersDigest Twitter
Brett Keisel has been downgraded to questionable with a calf injury. Eason and Hood figure to start at DE.
36 minutes ago

hawaiiansteel
11-28-2010, 01:09 AM
Another injury may sideline Keisel

By Scott Brown
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, November 28, 2010

Steelers defensive Brett Keisel may not play today after waking up Saturday morning with an injured calf muscle.

The Steelers listed Keisel as questionable for the 1 p.m. game in Buffalo. The 6-foot-6, 285-pounder did not appear on their injury report following the team's final practice of the week Friday.

The Steelers may err on the side of caution with Keisel since he has missed four games and played sparingly in another after pulling a hamstring on Oct. 17 against the Browns.

With Aaron Smith out until at least the latter part of December he is recovering from a partially torn triceps the Steelers have had their starting defensive ends play together in just five games this season.

If Keisel is unable to play against the Bills, Nick Eason and Ziggy Hood will start at defensive end.

STARKS PITCHES IN

Max Starks' season is over, but the veteran left tackle has embraced a new role since the Steelers placed him on injured reserve Nov. 10.

Starks, who had surgery to repair an injured disk in his neck, has been a regular at the Steelers' practice facility, attending offensive line meetings and helping his teammates.

"I'm more like a player-coach, like (former NBA player-coach) Tree Rollins or something," said Starks, who is expected to make a full recovery from his injury.

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 11298.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/print_711298.html)