PDA

View Full Version : Players: Seymour got off too light

fordfixer
11-25-2010, 09:17 AM
On the Steelers: Players: Seymour got off too light
Thursday, November 25, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10329/1106031-66.stm

What if it were Peyton Manning or Tom Brady that Richard Seymour sucker-punched Sunday instead of Ben Roethlisberger? It's a one-way debate his Steelers teammates have had since they returned to practice Wednesday.

Seymour was kicked from the game and fined $25,000.

"It would have been a little more," Antwaan Randle El said. "Or if one of our guys did it, there would have been more."

Hines Ward said on his WDVE radio show Tuesday night that if Seymour had slugged Manning or Brady the Raiders defensive tackle would have been suspended.

"You're not being consistent with all the fines and the calls," said Ward, who declined to repeat what he said on his show.

"They should have fined him more," guard Chris Kemoeatu said. "I'll say that as much as I can."
Next

* Game: Steelers (7-3) at Buffalo Bills (2-8), Ralph Wilson Stadium.
* When: 1 p.m. Sunday.
* TV: KDKA.

There is a consensus among the Steelers that the NFL has some rules for quarterbacks such as Brady and Manning, and other rules for the rest of the league. No defensive player, for example, has had a roughing penalty called on him for hitting Roethlisberger all season.

"I don't know that there've been many roughing the passer calls on me in my career," Roethlisberger said.

As he was being asked whether Seymour's hit on Manning/Brady might have prompted stiffer punishment from the league, Roethlisberger interrupted.

"I know where you're going. We all know the answer to that one. Easy."
T.O. chimes in

Terrell Owens, wide receiver for the 2-8 Cincinnati Bengals, called Roethlisberger "soft" for going down after Seymour punched him.

"A hockey player would have took that," Owens said of Seymour's punch, "kept on ticking. That shows you how soft Ben is."

Ward laughed about the comment.

"We're not worried about T.O.," Ward said. "They're 2-8."

The Bengals, who swept all six division games to win the AFC North last season, have lost seven games in a row, including Nov. 8 to the Steelers. They play Dec. 12 in Heinz Field.

"We have to play them again," noted Kemoeatu, "so we'll deal with that when we play them."

Added Ward, "They had a great year last year and they're not playing good, so you shouldn't talk about anybody if your not playing good."
The bounce-back kid

You could call James Farrior a comeback kid but at 35 and with his next birthday Jan. 6, he's no kid anymore.

Farrior has bounced back in a big way from a 2009 season in which he heard talk that he had lost a step.

"I definitely heard all the comments and heard the people talking," Farrior said of last season. "But I definitely didn't feel like that. I definitely thought I had a lot left in the tank, and this year I'm just trying to go out and prove it."

After Lawrence Timmons ran out to a 26-tackle lead over Farrior after just five games, the two are tied for the lead at 98 -- each has 68 solo tackles and 30 assists.

It's not just tackles, but big plays Farrior has made. He is third on the team with 15 quarterback pressures, right behind outside linebackers James Harrison with 19 and LaMarr Woodley with 16. Farrior had seven all last season. He has two sacks.

"I really don't look at my body of work until the end of the season but I definitely think I've been playing pretty good so far," Farrior said.
Going deep

Roethlisberger and receiver Mike Wallace are well on their way to establishing themselves as the best deep passing combination in team history.

The two have combined for six touchdown passes of 40 yards or more even though they've played only 21 games together since Wallace arrived as a rookie last season.

They already have tied the Hall of Fame combo of Terry Bradshaw/John Stallworth, who played 10 seasons together.

"Anytime you have two legends like that and so many things they did, we're doing pretty good for ourselves," said Wallace.

The tandem of Jim Finks/Ray Mathews also had six. No. 1 is Bubby Brister/Louis Lipps with seven.

Wallace has an average per catch in his brief career of 21.0 yards on 72 receptions. No one in the top 25 career receivers by receptions has an average that high, but Wallace still is 74 catches from breaking into that group.

"When you let one go and you know he's behind everybody and you know it's a good ball, it's kind of a neat thing to see the ball in the air," Roethlisberger said.
Quick hits

Coach Mike Tomlin had his team practice in shoulder pads for the second Wednesday in a row. After letting them practice nearly every Wednesday this season without pads, he had them wear them last week after their loss to New England. ... Roethlisberger's 1,579 yards passing since his return are the most of any quarterback in that period. ... No Steelers player reported receiving a fine from Sunday's game, although it's possible the mail had not yet arrived from Park Avenue. ... Antonio Brown (knee), Troy Polamalu (ankle) and Matt Spaeth (concussion) did not practice, but Brett Keisel (hamstring) and Will Allen (concussion) returned.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10329/11 ... z16IeHUGtx (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10329/1106031-66.stm#ixzz16IeHUGtx)

Jigawatts
11-25-2010, 09:58 AM
I'm hoping the Seymour sucker punch and the blatantly horrible calls against the Steelers
will bring this team together with an "us against the NFL" mentality. Play as one unit,
destroy anything not wearing black and gold, and put some serious points on the board to
humiliate opponents.

ALLD
11-25-2010, 11:24 AM
The $25k fine on Seymour says that anybody who wants to cheap shot a Steelers player will receive only a token fine. The league is out to screw the Steelers and indirectly influence who goes to the playoffs.

proudpittsburgher
11-25-2010, 11:53 AM
The $25k fine on Seymour says that anybody who wants to cheap shot a Steelers player will receive only a token fine. The league is out to screw the Steelers and indirectly influence who goes to the playoffs.

^^ this. But you know what? The kicker, if you will?

WE'RE GOING ANYWAY!!! :tt1

anger 82&95
11-25-2010, 12:02 PM
It’s farcical and the bean counters masquerading as league overseers know it. If the NFL “management” is attempting to set protocol regarding something as subjective as tackling, than shouldn’t a sucker punch off the head of a quarterback be an easy call and thus elicit maximum umbrage? If the rules are actually predicated on a “which teams we like best” attitude then the sanctimonious Mr. Goodell needs to revaluate his comprehension of what “league reputation” truly means.

Djfan
11-25-2010, 04:19 PM
Ward laughed about the comment.

"We're not worried about T.O.," Ward said. "They're 2-8."

Love this guy!

hawaiiansteel
11-25-2010, 04:48 PM
Steelers say Seymour fine too lenient

ESPN.com news services
Updated: November 25, 2010, 2:46 PM ET

The Steelers wondered aloud this week if more should have been done to punish Raiders defensive end Richard Seymour for striking Pittsburgh quarterback Ben Roethlisberger in the face Sunday.

Seymour, who hit Roethlisberger with an open hand in the second quarter of the Raiders' 35-3 loss, was ejected immediately and fined $25,000 by the league for his actions.

Steelers receiver Antwaan Randle El told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that Seymour's punishment would have been stiffer if he had hit Tom Brady or Peyton Manning.

"It would have been a little more," Randle El told the Post-Gazette. "Or if one of our guys did it, there would have been more."

Fellow wideout Hines Ward went further. The Post-Gazette reported Thursday that Ward said on his local radio show Tuesday that Seymour would have been suspended if he had struck either Brady or Manning.

Ward would not comment on his radio show comments when asked by the Post-Gazette but told the paper that the NFL isn't "being consistent with all the fines and the calls."

Roethlisberger, asked if the ruling would have been different if his name were different, was frank in his response.

"We all know the answer to that one. Easy," Roethlisberger told the Post-Gazette.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5849496

RuthlessBurgher
11-26-2010, 06:11 PM
After Lawrence Timmons ran out to a 26-tackle lead over Farrior after just five games, the two are tied for the lead at 98 -- each has 68 solo tackles and 30 assists.

This particular stat truly surprised me. Considering how great Timmons was in the first 5 games, for Farrior to catch him...at his age...over the next 5 games is quite remarkable.

It's not just tackles, but big plays Farrior has made. He is third on the team with 15 quarterback pressures, right behind outside linebackers James Harrison with 19 and LaMarr Woodley with 16. Farrior had seven all last season. He has two sacks.

I have noticed Potsie also bringing the pressure as of late, but to be that close to Harrison and Woodley in pressures this season is also striking...more than doubling his total for all of last season already, and we still have 6 more games to go.

LordVile
11-27-2010, 02:21 PM
In a related story.. Suprisingly...

Oakland Raiders defensive tackle Tommy Kelly was also fined $20,000 for unnecessary roughness on a special teams play when he unnecessarily struck a Pittsburgh Steelers player in the head area.

We all saw that first play on special teams..

grotonsteel
11-27-2010, 03:23 PM
[
Roethlisberger, asked if the ruling would have been different if his name were different, was frank in his response.

"We all know the answer to that one. Easy," Roethlisberger told the Post-Gazette.

:Agree Ben

fordfixer
11-28-2010, 01:52 AM
Ben mum on T.O., Seymour

By: Mike Bires
Beaver County Times
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sport ... ymour.html (http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1501/2010/november/24/ben-mum-on-to-seymour.html)
Wednesday November 24, 2010 11:26 PM

PITTSBURGH — Ben Roethlisberger says he’s so focused on the Steelers’ next game that he won’t waste his time commenting on Terrell Owens or Richard Seymour.

Tuesday on the “T. Ocho Show” that runs on the Versus cable network, Bengals wide receiver Terrell Owens took a verbal shot at Roethlisberger.

Owens called Roethlisberger “soft” for the way he reacted after he was sucker punched by Seymour, a Raiders defensive tackle, in Sunday’s game at Heinz Field.

“A hockey player would have took that (and) kept on ticking. That shows you how soft Ben is.”

Roethlisberger tumbled to the turf after getting hit by Seymour, but wasn’t hurt and didn’t miss any snaps the rest of the game. Seymour was ejected.

“I don’t need to comment on that,” Roethlisberger said of Owens’ comment. “I’m trying to win a championship.”

Roethlisberger also refused comment when asked about Seymour’s $25,000 suspension. Several Steelers thought Seymour should have gotten a much higher fine and a suspension.

“Once again, it’s something that happened last week,” Roethlisberger said. “You have to focus on moving forward. If you focus on those things and dwell on them, then you’re living in the past.”

Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward did comment on both Owens and Seymour.

Regarding Owens’ claim that Roethlisberger is soft, Ward shook his head in disbelief and said, “Ben’s a tough guy. We know what he brings to the table.”

Regarding the punishment Seymour received, Ward wouldn’t directly address it Wednesday. But on his radio show Tuesday night, Ward said, “If it was (New England’s) Tom Brady or (Indianapolis’) Peyton Manning who got punched, Richard Seymour would have been suspended.”

“Yeah, you heard right,” Ward said. “I said it on my show. But I won’t go into it any more. I just wanted to put my opinion on my radio show.”

Steelers guard Chris Kemoeatu was one of the Steelers who thought Seymour got off easy.

“Definitely, I’m surprised,” he said. “It was not football-related as far as guys just playing football and getting fined for something they did during a play. It happened after the play. It was a cheap shot and very personal.”

After Seymour punched Roethlisberger, Kemoeatu retaliated by punching Seymour. Kemoeatu was penalized 15 yards for unnecessary roughness but he was not fined as of Wednesday.

Linebackers James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley, free safety Ryan Clark and guard Trai Essex had also not yet been notified if they’ve been fined for personal foul penalties against the Raiders.