PDA

View Full Version : Happy Thanksgiving to Everyone!

hawaiiansteel
11-24-2010, 04:25 PM
may you all eat as much as Max Starks tomorrow... :Cheers

http://www.foodpoisonjournal.com/uploads/image/turkey_01_thumb.jpg

On Location: Thanksgiving With The Steelers

Written by Bo Marchionte
Wednesday, 24 November 2010

“Candied yams, turkey, stuffing, all those good desserts, it’s a fun time,” said seven-year veteran Max Starks on what he likes to eat on Thanksgiving Day. “There’s a reason we play offensive line,” joked Starks. “All of us are over 300 pounds.” After talking candied yams and turkey, the conversation turned to who can eat the most when it comes to the O-line of the Steelers. Starks evaluated the big-plate hitters from the Steelers, “Chris Kemoeatu has a nice appetite, so do Trai Essex and myself.”

Nothing strange there; simple question with a simple response from Starks, although things took an entertaining turn when I asked his teammate Jonathan Scott, who was sitting right next to him still dripping with sweat after the 35-3 win over the Oakland Raiders, who could eat the most? “Oh my bad, my bad,” laughed Scott as he nudged his elbow into the side of Starks, signifying that Starks was in fact the biggest eater of the Pittsburgh Steelers. “We can all eat, but he sets the standard,” laughed Scott. It isn’t uncommon for these guys to throw a teammate’s name out there when they themselves are the culprit to begin with, so the down the O-line we went, searching for the answer: who was truly the biggest eater on the line?

The big guys were a bit apprehensive about admitting it. “I’m not going to say myself,” said starting right guard Trai Essex, who then laughed and added, “Nobody would.” Essex said he would eat “three to three and a half servings” on Thanksgiving Day as he gave the run down of his favorites, “Fried turkey, a little cranberry sauce, macaroni and cheese.” Essex started to build the case against Starks, “It’s gotta be Max, by far. Willie (Colon) can get down a little bit but Max, he’s 6’8” so it takes a little longer for the food to travel,” joked Essex. “It’s got to be Max.”

Starks was quickly gaining momentum as the big eater, but would it continue with the likes of Chris Kemoeatu pushing 345 pounds and Flozell Adams standing 6’7” and 340 pounds? Was it really Starks who was the champ?

When Tony Hillis learned about Starks not putting himself first he said, “He never gives you the full scoop,” adding that “I have never seen one person eat like him. It’s amazing how much food he can take down in one sitting.” Hillis didn’t lie about his own appetite on Thanksgiving Day, “Oh man, what’s not my favorite thing to eat? That’s what you’ve got to go by. I’m a turkey guy…mashed potatoes and gravy guy. My girl makes amazing macaroni and cheese, basically all the carbs I can possibly take down in one sitting.” The truth was starting to emerge from Hillis, Essex and Scott: they all passionately (and humorously) believed that Starks was the man.

Hillis said it best, “There’s not even an adjective that describes what he can do to food,” which brought some laughs. “It’s pretty amazing, actually.” The mystery was starting to unfold. Clearly Max Starks was the man who could do the most damage at meal time.

Finally, the rookie from Florida, Maurkice Pouncey, was asked his thoughts. He was cautious about participating—always wise for a rookie—but when he learned that the others had offered up Starks as the biggest eater, he began laughing and said, “We could definitely say that’s a fact.”

Joking and fun aside, it’s the times like these with the shoulder pads off and the x’s and o’s out of the game that we learn that these guys really do form friendships and care for one another. First-year Steelers right tackle Flozelle Adams, who spent 12 seasons with the Dallas Cowboys before joining the team this summer, said, “It’s definitely different from my normal schedule,” since the Cowboys had the obligation to play every year on Thanksgiving Day. “I’ll find somewhere to go,” added Adams, “most likely Trai’s (Essex) house.” The five-time Pro-Bowler said, “It’s not uncommon” to have players come over for Thanksgiving “We take care of each other there. That’s what we did in Dallas and somebody will take care of me here. You would have new guys come in with no place to go and you invite them over your house to have dinner with your family.” Rookie wide out Emmanuel Sanders said he was going to Charlie Batch’s home for Thanksgiving, so it extended beyond the offensive line as far as teammates getting together.

Pouncey shared that he would be going to Jonathan Scott’s house, where Scott’s mom was preparing the meal. But Pouncey quickly added, “My family is coming in and probably going to hit everybody’s house to taste everybody’s cooking.”

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/artic ... rs/3670134 (http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/on_location_thanksgiving_with_the_steelers/3670134)

http://www.zwani.com/graphics/thanksgiving/images/1happy-thanksgiving.gif

RuthlessBurgher
11-24-2010, 04:30 PM
Max Starks' Thanksgiving feast is a mere appetizer to Casey Hampton.

flippy
11-24-2010, 04:35 PM
Happy Turkey Day to All Yinz!!!!!

I heard on the radio that the average American eats over 4000 calories on Thanksgiving.

flippy
11-24-2010, 04:36 PM

I heard on the radio that the average American eats over 4000 calories on Thanksgiving.

RuthlessBurgher
11-24-2010, 04:47 PM

Hampton and Starks have to be in quintuple digits.

LordVile
11-24-2010, 04:55 PM
Happy Turkey-Day, My Steeler Brothers and Sisters (Extended Family)
I gotta say this is the best BOARD of em' all and I'm glad to learn from you STEELER MANIACS!! God bless you and all your families..

Much Luv..
Boracho :Cheers :Beer :tt1 :tt2 :P

DukieBoy
11-24-2010, 06:01 PM
Happy Turkey-Day, My Steeler Brothers and Sisters (Extended Family)
I gotta say this is the best BOARD of em' all and I'm glad to learn from you STEELER MANIACS!! God bless you and all your families..

Much Luv..
Boracho :Cheers :Beer :tt1 :tt2 :P
x2, including the pic

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-24-2010, 07:03 PM
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!!

hawaiiansteel
11-25-2010, 01:12 AM
Giving Thanks for the Pittsburgh Steelers

by maryrose on Nov 24, 2010 11:17 PM EST

We all have more important things than a football team for which to be thankful. Our families, our health and our religion will be the focal point of this Thanksgiving Day. But since this is a football fan site, I'd like to spend a few minutes and express my thanks for the Pittsburgh Steelers. There are more important things in life than football, but that doesn't mean we cannot or should not admit to the joy that rooting for a football teams brings.

Most of you were not on this earth the day of the Immaculate Reception; the day that football history changed its course forever; the day that exorcized the ghosts of autumns past. Since that day, the Pittsburgh Steelers have collected six Lombardi Trophies, more than any other NFL franchise. Giving thanks for those six glorious pieces of hardware is a great place to start.

But the success of the Pittsburgh Steelers runs much deeper than a half dozen Super Bowl Championships. Since that 1972 season, we have only experienced seven losing seasons in those 39 years - far and away the best record of success in the NFL. Three of those seven "bad seasons" featured 7-9 records, three more at 6-10 and one at 5-11. That is almost unbelieveable. The Steelers are the only NFL franchise to have never won fewer than five games since the NFL-AFL merger in 1970, and that five-win season happened only once. This four-decade stretch of consistency and success is nothing short of incredible. Put simply, the Steelers have won more with less trauma than any franchise in the second half of the NFL's existence.

Behind all that success, I am both proud and thankful for the model of stability that is the envy, or should be, for every other franchise and fan base. Without mentioning names, we're not a senile team, or cheating team, or yoyo team, or trendy team, or desperate team or flash-in-the-pan team, etc. etc. Our owner did not divorce us in 1995 when he saw a prettier gal in another town. The Steelers have hired three head coaches since the year that mankind first stepped on the moon. Our rivals to the northeast have hired five head coaches since they signed their last placekicker.

I am thankful for the Rooneys, the most revered name in NFL history. It is the name always mentioned first by anyone anywhere when talking about league ownership. Throughout the league's 90-year history, the Rooney name has been the flagship of the NFL. First the Chief, then Dan and Art Jr. and now Art II, the Rooneys have been the league's moral compass, voice of reason, standard bearer for diversity and most innovative resource the league has ever known.

Finally, I am thankful for all of you, Steeler Nation. The Nation shows its pride and strength every time the team plays in enemy stadiums. No other fan base is mentioned prominently by television announcers every time Pittsburgh plays on the road. The Steelers are America's team, make no mistake. The Cowboys may have the moniker, but the Steelers have the truth. This web site is a microcosm of the Nation. Yes, we get some miscreants from time to time who want nothing but to stir trouble. But overwhelmingly, this site is home to insightful fans who teach me something every day.

Thank you all and Happy Thanksgiving to you and your families.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... h-steelers (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2010/11/24/1834721/giving-thanks-for-the-pittsburgh-steelers)

Djfan
11-25-2010, 02:23 AM
Happy Thanksgiving to my Planet family.

Love most of yinz.

fordfixer
11-25-2010, 09:40 AM
Steelers give back at Thanksgiving

By Teresa Varley - Steelers.com

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... bb086a8cf1 (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-give-back-at-Thanksgiving/d777159c-95ca-4ab7-b08f-9cbb086a8cf1)

The spirit of giving back is alive and well among Steelers players, who reached out to those in the community less fortunate this Thanksgiving.

Linebacker LaMarr Woodley and tackle Max Starks both hosted turkey giveaways with all of the trimmings, while cornerback William Gay also hosted a dinner for a local women’s shelter and for the homeless.

Woodley provided turkeys, along with all of the fixings, for 200 Hazelwood residents, ranging from families to single parents to senior citizens.

“It’s always important to give back,” said Woodley. “If you can help somebody keep a few dollars in their pocket at the holiday, why not help out. That has always been my thing.”

The recipients were selected by the Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank, who is seeing an increased need for help this year. The food bank serves 11 counties in the Western Pennsylvania area and their numbers increase monthly, with around 2,500 new households added monthly.

“There are no signs of it slowing down,” said Anne Hawkins, chief development officer for the Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank. “It’s tough times for people. It’s not just the chronically poor. It’s people who have never been in the situation. For them to be able to have Thanksgiving and still pay their bills and not worry about it makes us all smile.”

Woodley got a hand passing out the food from teammates Antonio Brown, Ryan Mundy, Stevenson Sylvester, Lawrence Timmons and Jason Worilds.

“What is amazing to me and what I love the most about this is it makes the families feel special,” said Hawkins. “I don’t think they get a lot of opportunities to be special when they are struggling. To have the Steelers hand them their Thanksgiving dinner, that is what they are going to be talking about. This is going to stay with them and make the celebration even more.”

In addition to his efforts in Pittsburgh, Woodley reached out to his hometown of Saginaw, Michigan. Woodley provided household items such as napkins, plates, cups, foil, soap, toothpaste and more to 500 families.

"It's always important coming back and giving back," said Woodley of returning home. "Things that are important -- you make time for."

Starks continues his commitment to the Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank, as he and his wife Tiffany hosted the annual Max Starks & His Home Team Thanksgiving Celebration which provided 200 needy families with the makings for Thanksgiving dinner. Each family received a turkey and all of the fixings, with Giant Eagle teaming with Starks to provide the items.

Starks, who underwent disc surgery on his neck, brought a bunch of his teammates along to hand out the food, including Charlie Batch, Dorian Brooks, Dennis Dixon, Trai Essex, Ramon Foster, Kyle Jolly, Chris Kemoeatu, Maurkice Pouncey, Jonathan Scott, Dan Sepulveda, Shaun Suisham, Frank Summers and Greg Warren.

“There is always a need,” said Starks. “Funds are now lower and prices go up. To have the opportunity to know you offset some of that and the families are thankful means a lot. It’s great to see everyone happy. We thrive on the energy of this community and to have the opportunity to do this is a small token of our appreciation.

“My teammates come back every year and help with it. They always want to know what they can do to help. To have them here helping makes it even better.”

And if there is anyone who understands what getting a helping hand means, it is Starks. When he was a kid it was Starks who was benefitting from Thanksgiving food distributions held by the Orlando Magic.

“I was that kid at one point in my life,” said Starks. “Growing up my family was on welfare. We didn’t have much. The holidays were always that question mark time. My mother always found a way to make sure we had something. I can identify with the kids who walk through the line. I was one who went through the line and now I am giving out food. It’s come full circle. To see their smiles, I remember when I was a kid and I had that smile.”

Gay, who has done turkey distributions in the past, went a different route this year hosting a Thanksgiving dinner for those who could use their spirits lifted both in Pittsburgh and his hometown of Tallahassee.

Gay and teammate Bryant McFadden served dinner and mingled with the residents at a local women’s shelter in Pittsburgh. The shelter is for those who are victims of some of the worst cases of domestic violence, making it personal to Gay. His mother, Carolyn Hall, was herself a victim of domestic violence, but she wasn’t able to survive it. Hall was shot and killed by her husband when Gay was only eight-years old.

“It really touches me being here,” Gay told the women and children. “I lost my mother to domestic violence. I want to tell you to keep your spirits up, just keep moving forward in whatever you do. I commend you for making the effort to avoid the situation you are in. My mother went through domestic violence and lost her life, so keep up what you are doing.”

His willingness to open up and share his story with those attending the dinner went a long way.

“To have Will share his personal story and put himself on the same playing ground and to acknowledge the courage it took for them to walk away is really meaningful,” said Barbara Nicholas, the Development Director for the shelter. “It’s always so validating. You have to imagine how difficult it is to not only leave your family and loved ones, but to do it when you are about to embark on the holiday season, a time when most families are coming together to be separated.”

Gay also hosted a dinner for the HOPE Community that works with temporarily homeless families, aiding them in making the transition back to a more stable home life. Many of those HOPE serves are women and children, which is the target audience Gay wants to help.

“As a man developing in this NFL world, in order to jump from a boy to a man you must find things that are meaningful to you, things you want to share with others,” said Gay. “I am in that position. I am able to give back and let people see the other side of me and see the human being that you are. That is what I am trying to do. I want to show them that I care. I have been through situations they have been through”

papillon
11-25-2010, 12:24 PM
Happy Thanksgiving to my Planet family.

Love most of yinz.

Am I one of the yinz? :tt2

Pappy

papillon
11-25-2010, 12:28 PM
To the Nation:

Godspeed in your travels
Health to your families
Wealth to you
Love your children, spouse or significant other like it's the last day of the world
Laugh a lot
Live each day to its fullest
Do the things you love, so that, you never look back and say "I wish I would have..."

Happy Thanksgiving to you all

Pappy

Chucktownsteeler
11-25-2010, 01:44 PM
Happy Thanksgiving, all!