PDA

View Full Version : Jason Worilds 1st Move

jj28west
11-23-2010, 07:32 PM
I have only seen a handful of him in action but Damn he gets outside quick. All that I am hoping is that he develops the quick Freeney spin move where he dukes the outside and then spins inside.

He is beating these guys solidly outside being only feet past the play. Thought I would see Bruce Davis do this. Then again look at Aaron Maybin who is a borderline bust and Cameron Wake who was undrafted so even the experts who get paid to do this miss.

This one & Sylvester may be two more to add to the Steeler LB'er Geneology Tree.

Shawn
11-23-2010, 08:40 PM
He is really showing a nice burst and motor. I have been impressed thus far. Now, he just needs to study, get some PT for experience and become a well rounded linebacker. But, he very well could be another one of the Steeler great LBrs.

BURGH86STEEL
11-23-2010, 09:01 PM
Appears that Worilds offers more then Woodley or Harrison as a pass rusher. Will be difficult to keep Worilds off the field if he catches on to the defense. Who becomes expendable in the near future? If Woodley over values himself, it appears the Steelers might have a quality player to replace Woodley.

RuthlessBurgher
11-23-2010, 09:27 PM
Appears that Worilds offers more then Woodley or Harrison as a pass rusher.

Wow...that is a heck of a stretch to make after getting 2 late garbage time sacks in blowout wins against Tampa and Oakland. Harrison's 47.5 sacks and Woodley's 35.5 sacks make them two of the best pass rushing OLB's in the entire league.

Jooser
11-23-2010, 09:31 PM
Appears that Worilds offers more then Woodley or Harrison as a pass rusher.

Wow...that is a heck of a stretch to make after getting 2 late garbage time sacks in blowout wins against Tampa and Oakland. Harrison's 47.5 sacks and Woodley's 35.5 sacks make them two of the best pass rushing OLB's in the entire league.

:Agree :owned :Agree :owned

EXACTLY Ruthless!

Some folks can't see the garbage for the tin cans on their eyelids.

papillon
11-23-2010, 11:08 PM
Appears that Worilds offers more then Woodley or Harrison as a pass rusher. Will be difficult to keep Worilds off the field if he catches on to the defense. Who becomes expendable in the near future? If Woodley over values himself, it appears the Steelers might have a quality player to replace Woodley.

:wft :wft

Pappy

Oviedo
11-24-2010, 09:17 AM
I think Worilds offers a completely different look than either Harrison or Woodley. Both of them are bullrush, power guys where Worilds seems to be bringing a speed rush to the field.

IMO the speed rush can be the most difficult for most OTs to deal with. Over time if Worilds can add some strength and maintain his speed we may see something really special. It would be interesting to see our defense experiement with a 5 LB formation with a player like Worilds flipping sides before the snap. That is the type of innovation I'd like to see from Coach LeBeau.

But I agree that it is way to early to proclain him the equivalent of anyone we have now.

flippy
11-24-2010, 10:11 AM
He needs to start taking dance classes with Mendy so he can learn the Spinderrela.

BradshawsHairdresser
11-24-2010, 10:31 AM
I've said it before: I would not be surprised if the Steelers allowed Woodley to depart rather than giving him a huge, new contract. They didn't do with him what they typically do with a player they're intending to keep--they didn't rework his deal entering his contract year. They could franchise him, but they seem to reserve that option for kickers they want to keep for half a season. For now, Worilds is Woodley's heir apparent.

TallyStiller
11-24-2010, 10:46 AM
They couldn't work out a reasonable deal with Woodley based on the terms of the expiring CBA... couldn't increase his base salary enough, so too much would be up front bonus, and so were forced to let him enter his walk season without a deal. Once he hits the open market, he'll be overpaid elsewhere and gone. I believe Worilds was drafted for this very reason... we've got too many other needs to be worrying about spending for or replacing linebackers. FO saw a player available that they liked, they took him, initial indications are good. Outstanding.

RuthlessBurgher
11-24-2010, 11:10 AM
They couldn't work out a reasonable deal with Woodley based on the terms of the expiring CBA... couldn't increase his base salary enough, so too much would be up front bonus, and so were forced to let him enter his walk season without a deal. Once he hits the open market, he'll be overpaid elsewhere and gone. I believe Worilds was drafted for this very reason... we've got too many other needs to be worrying about spending for or replacing linebackers. FO saw a player available that they liked, they took him, initial indications are good. Outstanding.

Exactly. Circumstances involving the 30% rule and the Final League Year when the CBA expired made it such that a player currently earning a second round draft pick's salary would require a $40-$50 million signing bonus if we wanted to sign him to a long term deal before a new CBA was ratified. The decision not to re-sign him prior to the final year of his rookie deal has nothing to do with the team's opinion of Woodley one way or the other...it was entirely circumstantial.

Oviedo
11-24-2010, 11:28 AM

Exactly. Circumstances involving the 30% rule and the Final League Year when the CBA expired made it such that a player currently earning a second round draft pick's salary would require a $40-$50 million signing bonus if we wanted to sign him to a long term deal before a new CBA was ratified. The decision not to re-sign him prior to the final year of his rookie deal has nothing to do with the team's opinion of Woodley one way or the other...it was entirely circumstantial.

I absolutely want to keep Woodley but I would not support doing so at the expense of Timmons or Polamalu. I think both Timmons and Polamalu are better players right now and more difficult to replace.

Hopefully Woodley doesn't get ridiculous with his demands and a deal can be worked out.

Everyone seems to be forgeting that at the end of the season we also have to sign our only legitimate CB--Ike Taylor. No way can you afford to tag Taylor because the cost would be too great. I think if anything influences the team being forced to let Woodely walk it is the situation at CB and the need to keep Taylor.

Mister Pittsburgh
11-24-2010, 01:28 PM
I think that Worilds should start at LOLB next year, we should trade Harrison for draft picks to free up money, move Timmons outside, start Stevenson Sylvester inside, and then go out and sign Larry Fitzgerald. Oh, this would also require Hines to retire to free up money as well.

BradshawsHairdresser
11-24-2010, 01:48 PM
I think that Worilds should start at LOLB next year, we should trade Harrison for draft picks to free up money, move Timmons outside, start Stevenson Sylvester inside, and then go out and sign Larry Fitzgerald. Oh, this would also require Hines to retire to free up money as well.

I would NOT want to see the Steelers trade our defensive MVP for draft picks. You know what you have in Harrison--one of the best in the league. Draft picks are a crapshoot.
There are other ways to come up with needed money.

You can forget about Fitzgerald, the Steelers aren't going to spend the kind of money that would be required to land him. Hines may well retire, which would free up some $$. IMO, we have good enough options already at WR, they just need a chance to develop.

hawaiiansteel
11-24-2010, 03:12 PM
LaMarr Woodley not only is good, but he is young and good which is a great combination. the Steelers will find a way to keep him, even if that means a franchise tag while something longer-term gets worked out ala Max Starks.

TallyStiller
11-25-2010, 02:15 AM

I would NOT want to see the Steelers trade our defensive MVP for draft picks. You know what you have in Harrison--one of the best in the league. Draft picks are a crapshoot.
There are other ways to come up with needed money.

You can forget about Fitzgerald, the Steelers aren't going to spend the kind of money that would be required to land him. Hines may well retire, which would free up some $$. IMO, we have good enough options already at WR, they just need a chance to develop.

We drafted heavily at WR this year with one eye on thissituation. Sanders isa player they think VERY highly of, and as a former DB, his physicality at the position reminds of a young Hines. Antonio Brown, I think, is going to turn out to bea steal in the 6th round there. If Hines retires, we sign a cheap veteran FA to try to push Brown and ARE for the #3 and #4 jobs, maybe a low round pick, and we're fine.