PDA

View Full Version : Heinz Field turf again catching heat

fordfixer
11-23-2010, 03:02 AM
Heinz Field turf again catching heat
By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, November 23, 2010
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 10534.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_710534.html)

Grumbling and questions about the turf at Heinz Field has become a November ritual, yet the Steelers have no intention of making significant changes to their home playing surface.

And they probably won't be pressured by the NFL to do so despite renewed criticism -- and James Harrison's admission that he had to leave Sunday's game briefly because of the field conditions.

"The middle of the field is nothing but a sand pit," the Steelers outside linebacker said, "so when I hit the ground it just all went into my eyes."

A week after kicker Jeff Reed cited moving turf as the reason he missed a 26-yard field goal, perhaps hastening his exit from the Steelers, Oakland Raiders defensive tackle Tommy Kelly took a more pointed shot at the weathered playing surface.

"They got big divots like we are playing golf out there," Kelly said after the Raiders were beaten, 35-3. "My shoe came off one time because my foot was stuck in the ground. You got professional groundskeepers here?"

The answer to that question is "yes." And they will be busy re-sodding the field after five games are played starting Friday with the "Backyard Brawl" and ending late Saturday night after the last of four WPIAL championship contests is decided.

That is standard procedure, a Steelers spokesman said Monday, and something that had been planned well in advance of the latest scrutiny field has received.

The grounds crew will have two weeks to get the re-sodded field ready. The Steelers don't play at home until Dec. 12 and Pitt finishes its season at Cincinnati.

The Steelers have resisted making significant changes. Any change would likely require switching from natural grass -- the turf is a mixture of four types of Kentucky Bluegrass -- to an artificial surface.

The field is not popular with players, who rated it the NFL's worst natural playing surface in a 2008 survey.

According to multiple reports, the New England Patriots and Raiders complained to the NFL about the Heinz Field surface. But no official complaint has been submitted to the league's game operations department, spokesman Greg Aiello said in an email.

Aiello said the league is monitoring conditions at Heinz Field. But, he added, the league typically does that with any grass surface that receives "heavy traffic" such as what will take place this weekend, "to assist clubs and ensure the quality of the field."

Quotes

Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians, on play-calling in the wake of constant flux on the offensive line, particularly in-game injuries:

"You can't change what your game plan is, you just expect the next guy to step up and play, and it gets taxing after awhile when it happens every damn week."

Steelers inside linebacker James Farrior, on Troy Polamalu's play (interception, tackle for loss, two passes defensed) in the 35-3 win over the Raiders:

"I don't know if he free-lanced more, but I think he's one of the most competitive guys on the team. And (the 39-26 loss to the Patriots) gave us a lot of motivation to show that we're not that type of team."

Polamalu, on the NFL's crackdown on dangerous hits:

"When I'm playing, I'm not thinking of a fine when I'm lining up a hit."

Steelers wideout Mike Wallace, who is on pace for a 1,214-yard receiving season, which would be the eighth-best in team history:

"I always set the bar real high. There are crazy numbers that I think about. "

Oviedo
11-23-2010, 11:31 AM
It is getting a little ridiculous to see chunks of turf coming up in one foot squares. I don't understand how colleges all across the northern US can have pristine fields and Heinz turns into a piece of crap every year, e.g. Penn State.

Howver, if the a$$holes at the NFL offices want to mandate a change and I were the Rooney's I'd say screw you unless they pay for the entire cost.

feltdizz
11-23-2010, 11:40 AM
I watched a chunk come up after it sacked Campbell on 3rd down.

I don't understand what additional games this week have to do with the last 2 weeks.

The field sucks and obviously we like it that way.

msp26505
11-23-2010, 12:40 PM
It is getting a little ridiculous to see chunks of turf coming up in one foot squares. I don't understand how colleges all across the northern US can have pristine fields and Heinz turns into a piece of crap every year, e.g. Penn State.

That one's simple. None of the fields you speak of are used nearly as much as Heinz field is.

It should be field turf, but the Steelers feel bad grass gives them some type of advantage, and if it's in the heads of the rest of the league, they may be right.

flippy
11-23-2010, 12:48 PM
It's why we're a better road team.

The Rooney's should pay to fix it to give a better product to their fans. We should boycot the Steelers. I mean I'll keep watching on tv, but no one show up for the next game. Protest the crappy field.

Maybe they can host a beach volleyball tourney @ Heinz Field soon.

Or we could host camel racing.

Maybe we could enlist the help of Heinz. Their name is on the crappiest field in all of sports. It's gotta negatively impact the brand. Maybe Heinz should sue the Steelers and the NFL. Clearly this isn't the field they expected when they signed on as the sponsor.

_SteeL_CurtaiN_
11-23-2010, 01:51 PM
According to multiple reports, the New England Patriots and Raiders complained to the NFL about the Heinz Field surface. But no official complaint has been submitted to the league's game operations department, spokesman Greg Aiello said in an email.

Aiello said the league is monitoring conditions at Heinz Field. But, he added, the league typically does that with any grass surface that receives "heavy traffic" such as what will take place this weekend, "to assist clubs and ensure the quality of the field."

That's enough for me to LEAVE IT AS IS! Eff em, if it bothers other teams and the nfl front office that good, did I mention eff em.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-23-2010, 02:14 PM
Would our players be better more than the other teams players get better?

I mean, if the field stays the way it is, I wonder if it hurts us or them more.

:?

hawaiiansteel
11-23-2010, 02:43 PM
the Heinz Field groundskeeper:

http://badkidsgoodgrammar.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/caddyshack.jpghttp://kategale.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/8_22caddyshack.jpg

RuthlessBurgher
11-23-2010, 02:46 PM
the Heinz Field groundskeeper:

http://badkidsgoodgrammar.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/caddyshack.jpghttp://kategale.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/8_22caddyshack.jpg

This is a hybrid. This is a cross, ah, of Bluegrass, Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent, and Northern California Sensemilia. The amazing stuff about this is, that you can play a football game on it in the afternoon, take it home and just get stoned to the bejeezus-belt that night on this stuff.

feltdizz
11-24-2010, 01:24 PM

That one's simple. None of the fields you speak of are used nearly as much as Heinz field is.

It should be field turf, but the Steelers feel bad grass gives them some type of advantage, and if it's in the heads of the rest of the league, they may be right.

PITT has played 5 home games... last one was 10/30
our last home game before the Pats game was 10/17

we played 3 home games total before the Pats game...

why is our field so phucked up? Were city league playoff games played their or something? HS WPIALS are this weekend so I don't understand how our field looks like God wipes his feet on it every morning.

Mister Pittsburgh
11-24-2010, 01:33 PM
they just need turf already. the field is an issue on a yearly basis. i would have no problem with playing in a mud pit if we had Bettis. We don't and rely on the pass so get a track for the track meet so our speedsters dominate rather than get slowed down by muck.

NJ-STEELER
11-24-2010, 06:21 PM
they just need turf already. the field is an issue on a yearly basis. i would have no problem with playing in a mud pit if we had Bettis. We don't and rely on the pass so get a track for the track meet so our speedsters dominate rather than get slowed down by muck.

this

its tough enuff keeping up with a grass field in the cold of the northeast.

couple that with all the additional games and you see what we get

JTP53609
11-24-2010, 07:49 PM
anybody remember the penn state bowl game last year in florida when the field was an embarassment and made our heinz look like the 18th hole on pebble beach....or how about the game on monday night in san diego, the field was horrendous, but lets not say anything because that is the "perfect" california climate..... :roll: :roll:

hawaiiansteel
11-25-2010, 11:55 PM
of course we have professional groundskeepers at Heinz Field... :D

http://www.carlspackler.com/archive/cs_106.jpg

Heinz Field turf again catching heat

Updated Nov 24, 2010 8:25 AM ET

Grumbling and questions about the turf at Heinz Field has become a November ritual, yet the Steelers have no intention of making significant changes to their home playing surface.

And they probably won't be pressured by the NFL to do so despite renewed criticism -- and James Harrison's admission that he had to leave Sunday's game briefly because of the field conditions.

"The middle of the field is nothing but a sand pit," the Steelers outside linebacker said, "so when I hit the ground it just all went into my eyes."

A week after kicker Jeff Reed cited moving turf as the reason he missed a 26-yard field goal, perhaps hastening his exit from the Steelers, Oakland Raiders defensive tackle Tommy Kelly took a more pointed shot at the weathered playing surface.

"They got big divots like we are playing golf out there," Kelly said after the Raiders were beaten, 35-3. "My shoe came off one time because my foot was stuck in the ground. You got professional groundskeepers here?"

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Hein ... t-39503430 (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Heinz-Field-turf-again-catching-heat-39503430)

Ghost
11-27-2010, 10:54 AM
I hope it never comes to this but it may take a Steeler going down with a serious injury that's turf related to get a change. There's just as much of a chance it will be a hometown player as a visitor.

Personally I think it's a shame to have a field that's the worst in the NFL every year. And since Pitt helped fund it (it's their field too) and the tax payer money that went to it was part of a contract to allow high school games - the number of games will never decrease. It will never be just Steelers games.

stlrz d
11-27-2010, 02:22 PM
Pony up the bucks and switch to field turf already. Cripes, there's a HS field here in GB that has it.

The Heinz Field turf is an abomination. I'd be embarrassed to say I was a member of the crew that "takes care" of it.

Crash
11-27-2010, 02:23 PM
They pony up MORE money by playing on this crap. So cost isn't the issue.

Dan wants this. From what I understand Art II wants Field Turf.

stlrz d
11-27-2010, 02:27 PM

Good point. Forgot about that.

grotonsteel
11-27-2010, 02:59 PM
Its about time they change to Field Turf.

Steelers O definitely gets impacted by this turf...We have speed at O.Steelers O is no more bruising offense.

tiproast
11-27-2010, 03:03 PM
I watched some of the WV-Pitt game on Friday.

The condition of the field reminded me of Gillette when it first opened. It too didn't stand up well in November and December, which was just the way the team liked it when the Colts came in.

After Polian complained about it a couple of times, the league stepped in and forced the Pats to install field turf.

If some teams can build domes with artificial turf and build teams to take advantage of that, I don't see why other teams can't have outdoor stadiums with natural grass and build their teams accordingly.

JTP53609
11-27-2010, 07:49 PM
Pony up the bucks and switch to field turf already. Cripes, there's a HS field here in GB that has it.

The Heinz Field turf is an abomination. I'd be embarrassed to say I was a member of the crew that "takes care" of it.

more then half the high schools in Pittsburgh have field turf also...

RuthlessBurgher
11-27-2010, 07:53 PM
FOOTBALL IS MEANT TO BE PLAYED ON A SAND/MUD MIXTURE THAT IS PAINTED GREEN, D@MMIT!!! :lol:

fordfixer
11-28-2010, 12:09 AM
FOOTBALL IS MEANT TO BE PLAYED ON A SAND/MUD MIXTURE THAT IS PAINTED GREEN, D@MMIT!!! :lol:
:Agree :tt1

Oviedo
11-28-2010, 09:42 AM

You forgot there should be a moisture content of about 25% minimum to make things interesting.

Oviedo
11-28-2010, 09:45 AM

I seem to remember a couple of seasons ago that one of the reasons they didn't want to change was because they invested in a state of the art in ground heating system for the field when the stadium was built. Seems like a moot point now because all they have is warm dirt.

I guess they are resodding starting this week now that the WPIAL play offs are over.

NJ-STEELER
12-04-2010, 03:45 AM
read some articles about ben's injured foot.

saying it happned vs the pats when he stepped on a bad part of the field.

do we need any more reason to put up with this crap field

frankthetank1
12-04-2010, 12:17 PM
Its about time they change to Field Turf.

Steelers O definitely gets impacted by this turf...We have speed at O.Steelers O is no more bruising offense.

i think it hurts the steelers a lot more than other teams. i dont understand it because you are right this isnt the steelers offense with bettis and a brusing O-line. this offense is all speed. mendy is a back that needs decent turf to spin and cut, heinz field is bad for the steelers offense. its not like the alternative is the old turf with carpet over cement like three rivers was.