PDA

View Full Version : Concussions - A Different Perspective

Discipline of Steel
11-22-2010, 10:01 PM
I have this belief based on nothing more than my science background and personal injury history...

Concussions arent what damaged Mike Webster's brain, and arent likely the culprit for long term brain injuries after the NFL. I consider concussions to be one time events. I have to believe its the REPETITIVE pounding that players take every play that plays more havoc with their nervous system over a career. Helmets collide along the trenches on every play, you can hear them pop. Its like that Mountain Dew commercial with the guy and the ram...

In my industry, industrial hygiene, we find workers are harmed more frequently by repeated, low concentration exposures to chemicals and other pollutants than they are by one time exposures. Concentration limits for one time exposure events are generally much higher than for longer term exposures. Translated to the NFL, a player can recover more easily from one hard hit than from years of repetitive, lower force impacts.

What have you all to say about that?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-22-2010, 10:21 PM
I have this belief based on nothing more than my science background and personal injury history...

Concussions arent what damaged Mike Webster's brain, and arent likely the culprit for long term brain injuries after the NFL. I consider concussions to be one time events. I have to believe its the REPETITIVE pounding that players take every play that plays more havoc with their nervous system over a career. Helmets collide along the trenches on every play, you can hear them pop. Its like that Mountain Dew commercial with the guy and the ram...

In my industry, industrial hygiene, we find workers are harmed more frequently by repeated, low concentration exposures to chemicals and other pollutants than they are by one time exposures. Concentration limits for one time exposure events are generally much higher than for longer term exposures. Translated to the NFL, a player can recover more easily from one hard hit than from years of repetitive, lower force impacts.

What have you all to say about that?

Uhmm, can you write slower please, that's kind of hard to figger out ...

Sorry, just kidding! Makes a lot of sense, actually. The worst option is multiple exposure to hard hit concussions. Anyone know what Wayne Chrebet is doing lately? He deserves a lot of respect, he gave his all and left a lot of synapses on the field.

Discipline of Steel
11-22-2010, 10:31 PM
Sorry, let me restate that...

Repeated impacts are more damaging to players than one time 'splash' impacts. :)