PDA

View Full Version : Smelling Salts = Performance Enhancing Drugs?

flippy
11-22-2010, 09:15 AM
Is it weird to anyone else that the best punter in football sniffs smelling salts before punting?

Shouldn't this be illegal?

It increases your breathing rate and gives you a boost.

Seems like it should be illegal.

Some sports dont like them because they can make it difficult to diagnose a potential concussion. And the NFL is allegedly concerned about concussions that happen to all players besides Hines Ward.

Goodell sucks!!!!!

msp26505
11-22-2010, 09:29 AM
I have no problem with it.

How else do you wake them up from their nap?

RussBII
11-22-2010, 10:34 AM
I have no problem with it.

How else do you wake them up from their nap?

Hah! I thought about this under the class of PEDs, but they use em on the bench all the time.

If i was a little dude like a punter and had to go mix it up immediately after having 9 people bum rush me, I might take a little hit o' the Salts as well.

AzStillers1989
11-22-2010, 10:36 AM
Hahahaha, my dad and I joked about this when we saw him sniffin it as well.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-22-2010, 10:24 PM
Are we all sure it's smelling salts? LOL

flippy
11-22-2010, 11:12 PM
Maybe Sepulveda should take them. And for all I know it was coke.

Maybe Seymour was drugged up when he hit Ben.

In all seriousness, I've heard they don't like to use them in boxing for example after a knockout because it can make it harder to identify nuerological issues after getting hit in the head.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-23-2010, 03:26 PM
Maybe Sepulveda should take them. And for all I know it was coke.

Maybe Seymour was drugged up when he hit Ben.

In all seriousness, I've heard they don't like to use them in boxing for example after a knockout because it can make it harder to identify nuerological issues after getting hit in the head.

Wonder how that works? Do they get smarter for a few moments, and then it wears off?

If so, hmm, maybe we should have given a permanent intravenous infusion to that defensive back we let go a year or two back, the one who just seemed just a bit too stupid to play in the NFL ("Anthony Killswitch" or something). A few extra gray cells and he would have been awesome. I remember reading how on this one play he COMPLETELY PANCAKED the Pro-Bowl receiver he was covering - which normally would be a good thing, but in this case it was Hines Ward, in practice!!

skyhawk
11-23-2010, 05:24 PM
At least be a little more discreet in using it.

Here he is on camera punting in plain view sniffing it and THEN throwing it on the ground (Fouts said he should have been penalized hehe).

Dee Dub
11-24-2010, 01:38 PM
Is it weird to anyone else that the best punter in football sniffs smelling salts before punting?

Why because doing so gets you high??

And water replenishes your body from sweet loss. It keeps athletes hydrated due to massive amounts of water loss and it keeps muscles well nourished.

Should that be banned too??

RuthlessBurgher
11-24-2010, 02:11 PM
Do they get smarter for a few moments, and then it wears off?

If so, I suggest several posters on this site should start using smelling salts before posting (provided, of course, that they hit submit before it wears off). :P

flippy
11-24-2010, 02:17 PM

Why because doing so gets you high??

And water replenishes your body from sweet loss. It keeps athletes hydrated due to massive amounts of water loss and it keeps muscles well nourished.

Should that be banned too??

I say let em use roids. NFL players are gonna die early anyway cause the sport's violent. So there's not so much risk from roids on these guys since their lives are shorter anyways.

Heck maybe doctors should give guys medical marijuana on the sidelines when the games are played in CA, AZ, CO, etc.

And instead of gatorade, why not have Jack and Cokes for the players while they take their breathers.

And smoke some stoggies while another unit's on the field.

There's tons of possibilities ;)

rpmpit
11-24-2010, 03:33 PM
Had this conversation recently after watching "Bigger, Stronger, Faster."

If you're at a kids soccer game and one team is drinking water and the other team is drinking gatorade, does the gatorade side have an unfair advantage?

hawaiiansteel
11-24-2010, 03:39 PM

If you're at a kids soccer game and one team is drinking water and the other team is drinking gatorade, does the gatorade side have an unfair advantage?

the key is to stay hydrated and it has been proven that children and young adults engaging in sports activities will drink more volume of a flavored drink than they will plain water, if both are offered.

rpmpit
11-24-2010, 03:40 PM

the key is to stay hydrated and it has been proven that children and young adults engaging in sports activities will drink more volume of a flavored drink than they will plain water, if both are offered.

So that's a yes??