PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin's post-game radio interview

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-21-2010, 05:35 PM
1) Pouncey knee-to-knee hit - contusion, shouldn't be bad. Other injuries not too bad either.

2) Did he mention the fake flags/penalties? He was asked: "The game got away from us. It was unfortunate. We need to look at some of the penalties, of course". "I'm not going to question the officiating, our guys aren't gonna do that, and neither am I".

3) Trei Essex was below the line ... that's why I started Ramon Foster.

msp26505
11-21-2010, 05:40 PM
2) Did he mention the fake flags/penalties? He was asked: "The game got away from us. It was unfortunate. We need to look at some of the penalties, of course". "I'm not going to question the officiating, our guys aren't gonna do that, and neither am I".

There is a time to be reserved. Tomlin has maintained his cool for a long time, and I appreciate that because more often than not, it is the right thing to do.

On the other hand, there is also a time to blow your effin' top, and that time is now here. I have never seen a more egregious, sustained miscarriage of justice that what I have witnessed since the unwarranted suspension of a never-charged Ben Roethlisberger, and it has only gotten worse since then.

Tomlin need to step up and ARII needs to step up.

Steelgal
11-21-2010, 05:42 PM
Was hoping he'd have a little more to say on the penalties. I didn't really expect it though.

LeBeau or Tomlin need to stand up behind the D and get some clarification/answers. This game was totally unexcusable and the refs NEED to be held accountable.

Hoping atleast Rooney takes a stand.

Brady and Manning would have been livid had this type of officiating happened to them. Tomlin needs to grow some and start getting vocal.

costanza2k1
11-21-2010, 05:43 PM
If the leader of the team starts blowing his top and getting nuts so will the players...it all starts up top...I'm sure he will bitch in private...great coaching this week!

msp26505
11-21-2010, 05:47 PM
If the leader of the team starts blowing his top and getting nuts so will the players...it all starts up top...I'm sure he will bitch in private...great coaching this week!

You're probably right.

But Rooney needs to take a stand.

ALLD
11-21-2010, 05:50 PM
It is possible that the Rooney's are being targeted too with their CBA comments and black sheep of the league style.

costanza2k1
11-21-2010, 05:50 PM

You're probably right.

But Rooney needs to take a stand.

That I whole heartedly agree with. What a bunch of BS! They practically tried to hand the game to those guys.

steelblood
11-21-2010, 05:53 PM
Great news on Pouncey!!!!!!!!

pfelix73
11-21-2010, 05:56 PM
Well, sorry to say, and I've felt this way for a while now, the Rooney that's running the show now, is no Dan. The apple has fallen far from the tree. I hope he does call the league and bitch about the officiating, but I'm not holding my breath.

Tomlin needs to vent too, and if he's fined, so be it. He needs to speak up.

:2c

SteelCzar76
11-21-2010, 06:14 PM
If the leader of the team starts blowing his top and getting nuts so will the players...it all starts up top..

:Agree

One never gripes "downhill" from a position of power. (That is if they are interested in preserving said position)

Steelerphile
11-21-2010, 09:17 PM
Well, sorry to say, and I've felt this way for a while now, the Rooney that's running the show now, is no Dan. The apple has fallen far from the tree. I hope he does call the league and bitch about the officiating, but I'm not holding my breath.

Tomlin needs to vent too, and if he's fined, so be it. He needs to speak up.

:2c

You can't win calling out the officials publicly. They are shielded from criticism and big fines would be issued immediately if they are publicly blasted. I do think Tomlin does the right thing by keeping his cool. The league officials apologized for the bad calls in the Cincinnati game, because of complaints filed by Tomlin and the team. That is really the best way to go about this. Venting publicly may gratify a few fans but I think it would overall have adverse consequences.

papillon
11-21-2010, 09:28 PM

There is a time to be reserved. Tomlin has maintained his cool for a long time, and I appreciate that because more often than not, it is the right thing to do.

On the other hand, there is also a time to blow your effin' top, and that time is now here. I have never seen a more egregious, sustained miscarriage of justice that what I have witnessed since the unwarranted suspension of a never-charged Ben Roethlisberger, and it has only gotten worse since then.

Disagree 100% it is never time for the coach to lose his temper or persona in public. You look like a bafoon whining and exploding about refereeing. Tomlin is handling the officiating crap absolutely the correct way. What they do privately (Tomlin and ARII) is another thing, phone calls to the league, letters to the NFLPA, etc., but privately is how to handle it. Let us (the fans) and all the loser coaches out there look like they're coming unhinged.

Pappy

BURGH86STEEL
11-21-2010, 09:41 PM

Disagree 100% it is never time for the coach to lose his temper or persona in public. You look like a bafoon whining and exploding about refereeing. Tomlin is handling the officiating crap absolutely the correct way. What they do privately (Tomlin and ARII) is another thing, phone calls to the league, letters to the NFLPA, etc., but privately is how to handle it. Let us (the fans) and all the loser coaches out there look like they're coming unhinged.

Pappy

I agree. The Steelers won the game.

On another note, the refs should had thrown a flag for the horrible field conditions. The organization needs to do something to correct the field conditions.

costanza2k1
11-21-2010, 10:07 PM
Field will be replaced in about 2-3 weeks from what I hear. Field was bad for both teams so it's irrelevant...

BURGH86STEEL
11-21-2010, 10:46 PM
Field will be replaced in about 2-3 weeks from what I hear. Field was bad for both teams so it's irrelevant...
It's irrelevant until someone suffers and injury. Regardless if it was bad for both teams, they need to do something about the field. It's not the first time the field was in bad condition. Maybe they need to look at changing the surface or resoding the field more often.

steelblood
11-22-2010, 12:00 AM

Pappy

yes, tomlin's composure may be his best trait.

TallyStiller
11-22-2010, 12:04 AM
There is such a thing as gamesmanship. Clearest example I can recall is in college ball in 1996. Florida State beats undefeated Florida in Tally (hence, my moniker...) by absolutely beating the crap out of Danny Wuerffel. He's hit fully half the plays he drops back. Then, through a series of unlikely breaks, Florida gets a rematch for the national title. Steve Spurrier starts whining almost immediately, and to anybody who'll listen about late hits on the QB and how poorly officiated the previous game was. Got inside the heads of the refs calling the Sugar Bowl to the point where FSU took something like 75 yards in PF penalties, several of which helped keep drives alive... all because the coach created and drove the narrative. Goodell has created and is driving an anti - Steeler narrative right now. Our organization HAS to do something to fight back if it wants to play on a level playing field, pure and simple. Refs are human. They respond to what they see and hear. If we don't speak up, only Roger and the ESPIdiots will be heard.

Crash
11-22-2010, 01:57 AM
It's time for Field Turf. Can you imagine the damage Mike Wallace could do to opposing defense if he played full time on it? Mendenhall as well.

Screw tradition. The Steelers played on grass field for almost 40 years and they didn't win anything until they played on turf.

hawaiiansteel
11-22-2010, 02:06 AM
It's time for Field Turf. Can you imagine the damage Mike Wallace could do to opposing defense if he played full time on it? Mendenhall as well.

Screw tradition. The Steelers played on grass field for almost 40 years and they didn't win anything until they played on turf.

I completely agree, our field looked horrible today!

Poor playing conditions at Heinz Field under NFL scrutiny

By Jason La Canfora NFL Network
NFL Network Insider
Published: Nov. 21, 2010

PITTSBURGH -- The NFL is closely monitoring conditions at Heinz Field, a league source said Sunday, after the Oakland Raiders became the latest Steelers opponent to complain about the playing surface.

The New England Patriots also complained about the field conditions last week.

The portion of the field between the hashmarks between the 30-yard lines is pocked with soft spots and areas where the sod easily comes out. The footing is poor there, and the Steelers plan to re-sod at some point, but timing is an issue.

The Steelers have a heavy home schedule, the University of Pittsburgh play here Friday, and Heinz Field also is home to high school playoff games. Therefore, the Steelers know this problem will be much worse before it can get better.

The NFL will remain in contact with the Steelers about the issue.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... l-scrutiny (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81c45dfb/article/poor-playing-conditions-at-heinz-field-under-nfl-scrutiny)

msp26505
11-22-2010, 08:35 AM

I completely agree, our field looked horrible today!

Poor playing conditions at Heinz Field under NFL scrutiny

By Jason La Canfora NFL Network
NFL Network Insider
Published: Nov. 21, 2010

PITTSBURGH -- The NFL is closely monitoring conditions at Heinz Field, a league source said Sunday, after the Oakland Raiders became the latest Steelers opponent to complain about the playing surface.

The New England Patriots also complained about the field conditions last week.

The portion of the field between the hashmarks between the 30-yard lines is pocked with soft spots and areas where the sod easily comes out. The footing is poor there, and the Steelers plan to re-sod at some point, but timing is an issue.

The Steelers have a heavy home schedule, the University of Pittsburgh play here Friday, and Heinz Field also is home to high school playoff games. Therefore, the Steelers know this problem will be much worse before it can get better.

The NFL will remain in contact with the Steelers about the issue.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... l-scrutiny (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81c45dfb/article/poor-playing-conditions-at-heinz-field-under-nfl-scrutiny)

If the league doesn't like it, I say make it worse.

Dig holes. Bring in a gravel truck. Spray it with gasoline and light it on fire...preferably with Roger Goodell at the 50 yard line.

Eff 'em.

msp26505
11-22-2010, 08:41 AM

Pappy

You are always a voice of reason.

Based on my comments on this topic, you may be surprised to know that in my work and home life, I am very much the calm and collected one...pretty much at all times.

But there are times in life when you have to object when you are being attacked. I definitely overstated what I would like to see Tomlin do, but a little displeasure on the sidelines when the Steelers are being attacked by the officials would be nice.

Standing and clapping after another unwarranted personal foul makes him look complicit. I don't want complicit. I want angry.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
11-22-2010, 09:49 AM
Well...Lets see if Roger God-damgoto-hell is a hipocrite. Protect the QB..Protect players...Player's Safety #1 priority. How was Seymour's right hook any different then a hit to the head on a QB....PLUS a dead ball Conduct issue. That's #1. Fine & 3 game? Let's see how this unfolds.

And #2, lets see if after he reviews the game and sees the mistakes if he puts that crew on probation. HE won't because if will be counter productive to his new push for safety...But he should. Just a letter saying the calls were wrong. That game was a disgrace and a black eye on the league IMO. Don't tell anyone...But they sucked both ways! Because for as much as they called soft holding calls on those 2 Mendy long runs....They missed some against the Steelers & the Raiders. I never say "blame the official"....But this was actually the first game IN A LONG TIME where the stench was an embarrasment on the league as well as the Steelers. And I do say Steelers because they are not absolved of anything just because on certain plays the refs made mistakes.

Leper Friend
11-22-2010, 10:53 AM
I actually missed Cowher for the first time ever yesterday. How about your coach publicly having his player's backs ? I'm sure he does behind closed doors but voice it a little. He doesn't always have to be so friggin pc.

His answer on the Richard Seymour incident was vomit inducing. How about "No I don't have respect for a player who takes a sucker punch at our QB " .Take a stand at least a little bit. I'm sure the players would love that.