PDA

View Full Version : So will God-ell now suspend James Harrison?

hawaiiansteel
11-21-2010, 04:13 PM
So will God-ell now suspend James Harrison for being a "repeat repeat" offender after Deebo's perfectly clean hit on the QB?

msp26505
11-21-2010, 04:15 PM
If he does, I advocate violence.

skyhawk
11-21-2010, 04:17 PM
Ref said he put all of his weight on the tackle. James totally let up at the end. Total bu$$sh.it

focosteeler

:Agree

i think he is pissed...this game might get ugly for whoever is dealing with him

skyhawk
Goodell is ruining the NFL! And the Steelers are his poster boys.

steelblood
11-21-2010, 05:27 PM
i don't see how he could even be fined for that hit. If he is, the NFLPA should start throwing shoes at Goddell.

anger 82&95
11-21-2010, 05:46 PM
Or Goodell practices equipment-free HALO jumping…

DukieBoy
11-21-2010, 05:51 PM
So will God-ell now suspend James Harrison for being a "repeat repeat" offender after Deebo's perfectly clean hit on the QB?
Goodell has painted himself into a corner, and he'll be likely to pull the trigger on a suspension. I't very sad for football. There was nothing at all wrong with that hit, either by form or by timing.

Now, if Ray Ray hit Ben like that it would make the NFL tape of how to properly hit the QB.

BURGH86STEEL
11-21-2010, 05:51 PM
I don't think Harrison will be fined.

Seymour will be fined.

msp26505
11-21-2010, 05:55 PM
i don't see how he could even be fined for that hit. If he is, the NFLPA should start throwing shoes at Goddell.

I didn't see how Patrick Chung couldn't be fined for the helmet-to-helmet hit on Hines, or how Woodley could be penalized or fined for the hit on Brady.

Today, I didn't see how Jimmy Hate could be penalized for the hit on Campbell.

Therefore, based previous expectations, you should count on JH being suspended. Maybe even executed.

ALLD
11-21-2010, 05:55 PM
Harrison will receive a nuisance fine of less than $20k just because he is James Harrison- bank on it.

DukieBoy
11-21-2010, 05:57 PM

I didn't see how Patrick Chung couldn't be fined for the helmet-to-helmet hit on Hines, or how Woodley could be penalized or fined for the hit on Brady.

Today, I didn't see how Jimmy Hate could be penalized for the hit on Campbell.

Therefore, based previous expectations, you should count on JH being suspended. Maybe even executed.

That lack of a fine is fully inconsistent with what the league has done to others. It's heinous.

hawaiiansteel
11-21-2010, 09:49 PM
Are the Steelers being targeted?

November, 21, 2010
By James Walker

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2010/1121/nfl_g_harrison01_576.jpg

Jared Wickerham/Getty Images
James Harrison says a recent rash of penalties will only bring the Steelers closer together.

PITTSBURGH -- Pro Bowl linebacker LaMarr Woodley knew the question was coming, and he didn't seem at all upset that the touchy subject was brought up.

Are the Pittsburgh Steelers being targeted by officials?

"I'll let you be the judge of that," Woodley said with a sly grin after Sunday's convincing 35-3 victory against the Oakland Raiders. "If you just look across the board and what's been happening this year, I will let you answer that one."

As Woodley hinted after Pittsburgh set a franchise record with 163 yards on 14 penalties, the Steelers have their suspicions. The general feeling inside the Steelers' locker room is that it's possible they're being made an example of almost on a weekly basis.

In the new-age NFL where playing punishing defense is becoming increasingly frowned upon, the Steelers (7-3) are the team that most exemplifies that style. The NFL and its most successful franchise have butted heads all season as the league continues to try to pull back the Steel Curtain in the form of heavy fines and penalties.

It was never more clear than Sunday as Pittsburgh pounded the Raiders into submission. A blowout win was clouded by the enormous number of flags showering Heinz Field. Whether it was linebacker James Harrison getting a roughing-the-passer call on a clean play, or safety Ryan Clark wrongfully called for a helmet-to-helmet blow when Clark made contact with the receiver's back, there was no flow to an ugly game dominated by officiating.

In what has become virtually another weekly routine, it's time for the Steelers to await word on possible fines.

"We'll see what happens with those once Wednesday gets here," said Harrison, who has been at the center of the NFL's increased attention to big hits. "The way I see it, I don't think it was a callable flag -- a good, clean hit. I don't know, I guess he felt different.

"We're going to play together no matter what. And when there are a lot of penalties that are going against you, that's going to bring you closer together and you are going to play harder."

The Steelers are off to a stellar start, and it's a shame that fines and penalties have dominated headlines with this year's team. Pittsburgh is playing hard-nosed defense the only way it knows how in a rapidly-changing climate, and it's leaving the Steelers confused at times.

"If you look at the offensive and defensive line, it's helmet-to-helmet [contact] every play," Woodley said. "If that was the case, you might as well throw a flag every time."

It will be the challenge of Steelers coach Mike Tomlin to keep the defense focused. The players seemed confused by the bevy of flags being thrown against them.

After the game, I asked Tomlin whether he feels his team has clarity on the way calls such as roughing and personal fouls are being officiated. He refused to elaborate on the subject.

"I'm not going to question the officiating," Tomlin said. "I understand the climate that we’re in from that standpoint. I'm just not going to do it; our guys aren't going to do it. We're going to play football, and we're going to try to play it as fairly as we can, as cleanly as we can."

Here are some other, non-penalty related observations on Pittsburgh’s win against the Raiders:

Defense gets improved pass rush:Pittsburgh defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau did a good job of dialing up better blitzes this week against Oakland. The Steelers sat back last week as quarterback Tom Brady and the New England Patriots carved up their defense. But Pittsburgh was much better at getting to the quarterback against Oakland, recording six sacks.

Wallace is gaining consistency: This continues to be a breakout year for starting receiver Mike Wallace, who scored a touchdown in his third straight game. His 52-yard score was impressive as he showed his speed and zipped by Raiders defenders. Wallace, who is replacing former Super Bowl MVP Santonio Holmes, has already set a career high for touchdowns (seven) this season.

"I did all right. I felt like I left a couple things out there," Wallace said.

Ben Roethlisberger gets offense going:Pittsburgh's franchise quarterback took the blame for the offense getting off to a slow start against New England, and responded by leading the Steelers to three touchdown drives in the first half. The Steelers led 21-3 at intermission and cruised the rest of the way. Roethlisberger threw for 275 yards and had four touchdowns (three passing, one running) in one of his better games. But he still wants more.

"It's funny, because if you ask me I felt like we didn't have a good offensive performance," Roethlisberger said. "I felt that we were OK. I told the guys that at the very end. It's a good job of bouncing back and playing well."

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_ ... um=twitter (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/20759/are-the-steelers-being-targeted?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)

SteelHoss
11-21-2010, 10:04 PM
I was very happy to see Antonio Brown in there instead of ARE. Big difference! Manny Sanders looked very good too. Its nice to see these offensive rookies in the game and making contributions. :D

AkronSteel
11-21-2010, 10:34 PM
I was very happy to see Antonio Brown in there instead of ARE. Big difference! Manny Sanders looked very good too. Its nice to see these offensive rookies in the game and making contributions. :D

Those two need to be active every game for the rest of the year as long as they are healthy!! They are so much more explosive than ARE....it's nice to have a vet show the way for the young guys but when he is holding them back then he is defeating the purpose. ARE should be 5th on the depth chart for our last 6.

MeetJoeGreene
11-21-2010, 11:17 PM
Harrison and Woodley are both repeat offenders now and could both be fined/suspended next week for totally bogus, BS calls.

Chucktownsteeler
11-21-2010, 11:22 PM
The sad thing is now they can be fines/ suspended without even penalties called.

I.E. Cleveland game.

Goodell is setting the table for mass suspensions for the play-offs.

Book-it.

ChucktownSteeler

Starlifter
11-22-2010, 12:05 AM
it's time for the rooneys to start defending their players. there are no owners in the league who are more respected. If they stood up to the tyrant I believe he would back down.

Crash
11-22-2010, 01:00 AM
The game was a disgrace. The Ref didn't throw the flag on Harrison until Taylor was in the endzone. It's like he saw who it was and THEN decided to throw the flag. Watch the replay. You can see it. He didn't throw that flag when the hit happened.

AzStillers1989
11-22-2010, 01:00 AM
There is a problem going on. I know many people have stated this over and over again so, really, i'm just a broken record. But there is a huge conflict of interests going on. Too much money is invested into this game and the whole financial aspect of this game for there not be behind the scene scams going on. In a way though, the steelers, winning today proves something. That even when u are being punished for playing hard nosed football, you can over come it by pure emotion and a DGAF attitude. This cant go on forever though, these BS calls can not keep happening if we wish to make a run in December/January/February....

I hope we kick the living crap out buffalo next sunday (all do respect to the bills) and keep our composure week in and week out and win no mater what happens.

Me being 21 (born in July of 89') i did not have the pleasure of being alive for the 70's but from what i have learned (from my pops and many other steelers faithful) the steelers have been a team of crap calls but always found ways to overcome them. we r in a very interesting situation and as a steeler fan i have never been more proud of my football team.
:2c

GOOO STEEEELERS!!!!!!!!!!!!! :Beer

Discipline of Steel
11-22-2010, 07:39 AM
Watch James Harrison get suspended and Seymour not. There will be riots in the streets!

msp26505
11-22-2010, 08:32 AM
Watch James Harrison get suspended and Seymour not. There will be riots in the streets!

Exactly what I was thinking yesterday.

hawaiiansteel
11-22-2010, 02:33 PM

Exactly what I was thinking yesterday.

the NFL has made it clear that it wants to protect its QBs...

Seymour's punch occurred after the play was over, what a great way for God-ell to make a statement that this type of action will simply not be allowed.

a one-game suspension and $100,000 fine would be a good way to do exactly that.

Ghost
11-22-2010, 03:15 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/14333075/slaphappy-seymour-deserves-big-hit-even-after-steelers-smackdown

Here’s just a little bit of the article:

PITTSBURGH -- After Oakland's Richard Seymour sucker-punched Pittsburgh quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, the Steelers delivered their message. Now it's up to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell to deliver his -- and that hard-ass better deliver one of the sternest messages of his life.

After the 6-foot-6, 310-pound Seymour sucker-punched Roethlisberger late in the first half Sunday, the Steelers handled it their way. They pulverized Oakland 35-3, sacking the Raiders six times, forcing three turnovers and pouring it on in the final minutes. Steelers coach Mike Tomlin took several shots downfield in the fourth quarter and had Roethlisberger throw a 16-yard touchdown pass with less than 75 seconds left for the final margin -- and the final message: Don't mess with our quarterback.

This was a physical game, and don't let the awful officiating confuse the issue. The box score shows that Pittsburgh was penalized 14 times for a franchise-record 163 yards, compared to seven penalties for 55 yards against the Raiders, but that's misleading. The referees were terrible. I'm not much for conspiracy theories, but the officiating was so one-sided -- some of the calls against Pittsburgh so mystifying -- that I researched the background of referee Tony Corrente. Just out of curiosity.

Corrente is a lifelong resident of California. Home of the Raiders. If you were curious.

Discipline of Steel
11-22-2010, 07:41 PM
Seymour not suspended...we are halfway there! James Harrison is on the verge of martyrdom for all sports for all times! It only makes me admire him more...he is relentless and he will get Goodell in the end.

Crash
11-22-2010, 08:08 PM
If Goodell goes to Pittsburgh to see tailgaters I demand that he get the soccer team treatment and pelt that bastard with fruit.

His ties to Baltimore are why this happens. It's not even hidden at this point.

We better take care of business early next week and then empty the bench. No chance for a suspension that way.

hawaiiansteel
11-23-2010, 12:05 AM
Roger Goodell HATES James Harrison

By Justin Meiser. Published on 11/22/2010

http://img2.yardbarker.com/media/0/3/03bdde9daefa444be082b77cbc82bbe76b7c7eb8/xl/harrison.jpg?stamp=1290456044

The issuance of this week’s NFL fines from the Commissioner’s Office taught me one thing. Roger Goodell absolutely hates James Harrison. Harrsion, star linebacker for the Pittsburgh Steelers, has been fined repeatedly this season and in previous seasons for what are deemed to be illegal hits in the field of play. Harrison has been fined more than any other player this season accruing $100,000 in fines for “Helmet to Helmet” hits.

Mind you, each and every one of Harrison’s hits occurred in the field of play, between the whistles. I believe most are warranted, not because they’re cheap shots or dirty plays, but because Harrison is either too dumb, too stubborn, or both to adjust the way he hits. He clearly leads with his head down, not seeing his target, which is incredibly dangerous for him and for his target. He’s made a big deal out his fines as he doesn’t understand what he can do differently and even feigned retirement. But it’s clear to me that as long as he continues to lead with his head down, he’ll continue to get fined. All he has to do is hit with his head up and actually see his target.

But even so, each hit is within the field of play and clearly during the play, not after the whistle. Compare this to Richard Seymour‘s outburst against Harrison’s teammate, Ben Roethlisberger. Seymour took out his frustrations for the Raiders beat down by the Steelers on Big Ben’s face with a semi punch right in Ben’s grill after the play. If anything, a blatant hit to the head of a star QB, AFTER THE PLAY would draw the attention and punishment of the league office.

It did draw some attention to the league office, but not all that much. Seymour was fined $25,000 compared to the $50,000 fine issued earlier in the year to Harrison and others. So does Roger Goodell just hate Harrison that much? Is he THAT irritated with Harrison’s stubborn behavior and retirement threats?

I definitely think someone in the NFL League Office has a big problem with James Harrison. I don’t know if it’s Goodell himself or one of his advisors. But they seem dead set on sending repeated messages to Harrison to correct his behavior and tackling technique.

Who knows… maybe Goodell decided to take it easy on Seymour because he saw the ridiculous Vlade Divacs-esque flop by Big Ben…

Maybe Goodell knows Big Ben deserved much worse than that after his repeated abuse of drunk co-eds over the past few years…

Maybe the bounty that co-eds across the nation put on Big Ben’s head extended to the Commissioner so he would take it easy on Seymour…

http://www.clevelandleader.com/node/15306

Crash
11-23-2010, 12:42 AM
Maybe he's upset that Harrison is a star after his beloved Ravens cut him?

hawaiiansteel
11-23-2010, 03:00 PM
James Harrison, Steelers may be Correct in Criticism of NFL Officials, Must Keep Playing Hard Regardless

by Mike Cole on Mon, Nov 22, 2010

http://mt.nesn.com/.a/6a0115709f071f970b01348970bcf7970c-400wi

The NFL seems serious about its attempt to clean up the game by eliminating vicious hits it deems illegal. The league may just be picking the Pittsburgh Steelers to make its point.

The Steelers were flagged 20 times on Sunday in their 35-3 win over the Raiders.

One of those penalties was for roughing the passer, another was for an illegal block above the waist and three more were for other personal fouls.

Safety Ryan Clark was called for what may have been a bogus helmet-to-helmet penalty. Linebacker James Harrison was the guilty party on the roughing-the-passer call, another questionable flag.

In a league that wants to clean up some of the hits its players give out every week, is it possible that it may be more than a coincidence that the Steelers are getting flagged the way they are?

For their entire history, the Steelers have hung their hats on hard-nosed, in-your-face defense. The Steel Curtain dominated the 70s, and in recent years, the Steelers have gotten back to that brash style of play -- and they may be suffering because of it.

Clark and Harrison are two of the better, harder-hitting defensive players in the game, as are safety Troy Polamalu and linebacker LaMarr Woodley.

The Steelers try to send a message through their defense, a message that is usually heard loud and clear. The message the league seems to be sending, though, is that there is such thing as playing too hard, and the Steelers may be crossing the line.

"I'll let you be the judge of that," Woodley said after the game when asked whether or not the Steelers were being targeted by the league and its officials, according to ESPN.com. "If you just look across the board and what's been happening this year, I will let you answer that one."

Harrison was a little less diplomatic about things, obviously frustrated with the mounting fines he's had to pay for his controversial hits, a number that is now at $100,000 for this season alone. According to Yahoo Sports, Harrison said that he felt Richard Seymour should be suspended for punching (or slapping, depending on who you ask) Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

Seymour wasn't suspended, but instead, he was given a $25,000 fine, a slap on the wrist compared to some of the fines Harrison has received. As Harrison pointed out, his fines have come for hits made during play, not after the whistle like Seymour's.

The points are fair. The evidence, both in video and statistics, seems to be starting to back up those same points. But for now, the Steelers would probably be better suited to just stay quiet and continue to play the game the way they have been. Commenting on the situation won't make things better. The extra attention could even make things worse.

Ironically, though, the Steelers might be best off heeding something that Harrison, of all people, said following Sunday's game.

"We're going to play together no matter what," he said. "And when there are a lot of penalties that are going against you, that's going to bring you closer together and you are going to play harder."

For now, Harrison and the Steelers seem confident in their ability to overcome any bias toward them -- real or imagined. Their devotion to "playing harder" is really the only thing they can do. Just as long as it's not too hard.

http://www.nesn.com/2010/11/james-harri ... ardle.html (http://www.nesn.com/2010/11/james-harrison-steelers-may-be-correct-in-criticism-of-nfl-officials-must-keep-playing-hard-regardle.html)

msp26505
11-23-2010, 03:09 PM
The message the league seems to be sending, though, is that there is such thing as playing too hard

What an absolute load of B.S. :roll:

hawaiiansteel
11-23-2010, 11:56 PM
James Harrison AFC North High Energy Player of the Week :tt2

November, 23, 2010
By James Walker

A look at a player who gave his team a significant boost in Week 11.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2010/1123/nfl_u_harrison_bl_300.jpg

Kirby Lee/Image of Sport/US Presswire

James Harrison made life miserable for Jason Campbell and the Raiders on Sunday.

Coming off a subpar performance against the New England Patriots, the Pittsburgh Steelers' defense relied on James Harrison on Sunday to ignite this unit -- and he answered the call.

The Pro Bowl linebacker had his most well-rounded performance of the season in Pittsburgh's 35-3 blowout victory over the Oakland Raiders. Harrison recorded five tackles, two sacks, an interception and a forced fumble as he wreaked havoc in Oakland's backfield.

Raiders quarterback Jason Campbell may still have nightmares about Harrison. Oakland's offensive line couldn't keep Harrison off Campbell, who took several tough shots from the linebacker before being benched in the second half.

The most controversial hit on Campbell was a well-timed blow by Harrison that forced an interception by Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor. It was called back because Harrison was flagged for roughing the passer. Harrison could be facing another fine for what looked like a clean play.

Other than that, it was another good day at the office for Harrison. He leads the Steelers with nine sacks, and Sunday marked his third multi-sack game of the season.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/20906/page/player-of-the-week/afc-north-high-energy-player-of-the-week-11

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-24-2010, 12:05 AM

November, 23, 2010
By James Walker

James Harrison made life miserable for Jason Campbell and the Raiders on Sunday.

Coming off a subpar performance against the New England Patriots, the Pittsburgh Steelers' defense relied on James Harrison on Sunday to ignite this unit -- and he answered the call.

The Pro Bowl linebacker had his most well-rounded performance of the season in Pittsburgh's 35-3 blowout victory over the Oakland Raiders. Harrison recorded five tackles, two sacks, an interception and a forced fumble as he wreaked havoc in Oakland's backfield.

Raiders quarterback Jason Campbell may still have nightmares about Harrison. Oakland's offensive line couldn't keep Harrison off Campbell, who took several tough shots from the linebacker before being benched in the second half.

The most controversial hit on Campbell was a well-timed blow by Harrison that forced an interception by Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor. It was called back because Harrison was flagged for roughing the passer. Harrison could be facing another fine for what looked like a clean play.

Other than that, it was another good day at the office for Harrison. He leads the Steelers with nine sacks, and Sunday marked his third multi-sack game of the season.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/20906/page/player-of-the-week/afc-north-high-energy-player-of-the-week-11

You know what's AWESOME about this article? It came out of ESPN, which has the reputation of causing a shortage of knee-pads in order to fulfill it's relationship with the NFL.

If those trolls are starting to say this thing, I think there is hope for a backlash with legs.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-24-2010, 12:13 PM

November, 23, 2010
By James Walker

You know what's AWESOME about this article? It came out of ESPN, which has the reputation of causing a shortage of knee-pads in order to fulfill it's relationship with the NFL.

If those trolls are starting to say this thing, I think there is hope for a backlash with legs.

FWIW this came from James Walker who writes the AFC North blog. He is not one of the typical ESPN National type talking heads. I have liked a lot of his work as it seems quite fair and balanced.

hawaiiansteel
11-24-2010, 02:41 PM
Harrison may be in the clear :Clap

November 24th, 2010

All signs points to James Harrison not getting fined after getting penalized for roughing the passer in last Sunday’s game.

Bill Parise, Harrison’s agent, said he has yet to hear from the NFL about any further discipline for the hit on quarterback Jason Campbell that drew a flag and negated a pick six by cornerback Ike Taylor.

“I think maybe we’re OK,” Parise said this morning.

When Harrison has been fined in the past, Parise said he has learned about it prior to Wednesday of the following week.

But Parise knows as well as anybody that you can never say never when it comes to Harrison and NFL fines so stay tuned.

http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the- ... um=twitter (http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2010/11/24/harrison-may-be-in-the-clear/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)

DukieBoy
11-24-2010, 05:22 PM
By Goodell's current standards, imagine who of these players when in their prime would regularly suffer fines, suspensions, even expulsions ...
Jack Lambert
Joe Greene
Dick Butkus
Donnie Shell
Ted Hendricks
Ronnie Lott
Jack Tatum
Mike Singletary
Ray Nitschke
and about half of all the other defensive players now in the HOF.

hawaiiansteel
11-25-2010, 01:29 AM
By Goodell's current standards, imagine who of these players when in their prime would regularly suffer fines, suspensions, even expulsions ...
Jack Lambert
Joe Greene
bad word Butkus
Donnie Shell
Ted Hendricks
Ronnie Lott
Jack Tatum
Mike Singletary
Ray Nitschke
and about half of all the other defensive players now in the HOF.

yeah, Jack Lambert would have found it tough playing under today's rules...

http://www.mentalfloss.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/Lambert.jpg