PDA

View Full Version : Brown and Sanders Both Active

Blitz-en
11-21-2010, 12:49 PM
Per Text from Steelers. This is what I would have done if I had the chance to make some changes. Get these young receivers involved in the offense, now. Come playoffs, they'll be more seasoned.

If Randle El doesn't make an appearance today, I'll be elated!!!

CanadianSteel
11-21-2010, 12:54 PM
Remember last week when Sanders never looked back on that pass from Ben? Will you know what, i'll live with mistakes like that to have Sanders and Brown active.
both will be great for the Steelers for years to come IMO

Blitz-en
11-21-2010, 01:08 PM
I agree, they'll both make mistakes. But, my hopes are that they'll give this offense a shot of much needed excitement...........if Tomlin/BA will use them. Ben needs to be a veteran and use them when he can, and find the veteran receivers when the game is tight or on the line. You can't trust a rookie to run the correct route when the game is on the line, but you can utilize their talents in between those moments.

Honestly, any receiver would be an upgrade over what we've seen from El so far this year. Good locker room guy, but eroding skills on the field. We can't afford to stick with him at this point.

steelerkeylargo
11-21-2010, 01:11 PM
http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=682517 ... -inactives (http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=682517-steelers-week-11-inactives)

No Johnathan Scott or Hills. Essex at LT? Chris Scott?

isonator07
11-21-2010, 02:03 PM
Great move IMO. We'll see how it pans out, but I like the move either way. I woulda hated to see the same lineup march on the field after the last game. We needed to shake the WR's up and it happened. Hopefully he gets to see the field!

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-21-2010, 02:05 PM
http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=682517-steelers-week-11-inactives

No Johnathan Scott or Hills. Essex at LT? Chris Scott?

I think they listed the wrong Scott as inactive.

CanadianSteel
11-21-2010, 02:23 PM
FIRE bruce arians!!!!!!!!
:HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger

that is all

focosteeler
11-21-2010, 03:26 PM
sanders has earned himself the #3 wr spot

hawaiiansteel
11-21-2010, 03:28 PM
sanders has earned himself the #3 wr spot

I completely agree...and Antonio Brown has earned his way onto the active on game day roster.

Blitz-en
11-21-2010, 09:18 PM
Very precarious situation, indeed. El needs to be inactive or gone. But, it won't happen.

Brown and Sanders have done absolutely nothing to support them standing on the sidelines watching El. The only thing either has done is show their worth. They are both catching the ball and making plays. Exactly what this offense needs.

AngryAsian
11-21-2010, 09:27 PM
Two years from now we may see Wallace, Sanders and Brown as our starting wide outs... talk about speed and talk about scary. :shock:

Chadman
11-21-2010, 10:27 PM
ARE will most likely be gone next season. Bringing him back this year was absolutely the right move- not too expensive (particularly in a non-capped season) & a good influence on young players. Brown & Sanders are very similar types of player- basically young versions of ARE. Learning from him & Ward can only be a good thing in the future.

Yes, both Sanders & Brown are fast- but neither strike Chadman as potential #1 WR's to replace Hines Ward in a couple of seasons. They still need that #1 guy. Wallace looks like the ideal #2. Sanders & Brown should cause mis-matches for nickle & dime CB's for a few years to come.

ALLD
11-21-2010, 10:48 PM
ARE is good for an occassional first down or a splash play with his arm. The splash play he was featured in today was broken up. The other tow WRs are bigger threats speed wise. They just need to run better routes and learn to come back for the ball. Both are better returners.

ARE is known as a good leader in the locker room. Hopefully he gets what he came back for, another ring because he is most likely out of the NFL next season.

chiken
11-21-2010, 11:01 PM
ARE will most likely be gone next season. Bringing him back this year was absolutely the right move- not too expensive (particularly in a non-capped season) & a good influence on young players. Brown & Sanders are very similar types of player- basically young versions of ARE. Learning from him & Ward can only be a good thing in the future.

Yes, both Sanders & Brown are fast- but neither strike Chadman as potential #1 WR's to replace Hines Ward in a couple of seasons. They still need that #1 guy. Wallace looks like the ideal #2. Sanders & Brown should cause mis-matches for nickle & dime CB's for a few years to come.

Gotta disagree with you buddy - Wallace has all the tools to be a #1 in this league - now is he at this point - no.. but he has the same Tools that S. Holmes or A Steve Smith has.. He requires a constant double team, he catches Tough passes over the middle and we are starting to get him the ball a little closer to the line of scrimmage.. He makes the game easier for every other receiver on the field, which is the primary job of a number 1

hawaiiansteel
11-22-2010, 10:48 PM
Young receivers step into spotlight

By John Harris, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, November 22, 2010

A wise man once said that speed kills.

I can't recall who said it, but it sure wasn't Steelers coach Mike Tomlin prior to yesterday's game against Oakland.

Tomlin saw the light -- rather, a need -- when he relented and finally permitted rookie wide receivers Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown to suit up in the same game and turned them loose on the Raiders.

"We had an opportunity to put a hat on both of them today," Tomlin said.

"They are talented young men."

Make that fast and talented young men.

Sanders caught two passes for 35 yards, including a lunging 22-yard touchdown grab in the second quarter.

And Brown scared the heck out of Oakland coach Tom Cable -- along with the rest of the NFL, for that matter.

In his first NFL game, against Tennessee, Brown had an 89-yard kickoff return for a touchdown the first time he touched the ball. Against the Raiders, he returned a punt 67 yards for a touchdown in the second quarter, only to have it called back because of a holding penalty on a record-setting day when the officials were apparently paid for how many times they tossed their yellow flags.

Later in the quarter, Brown made a gutsy 21-yard reception across the middle that set up Ben Roethlisberger's 16-yard touchdown scramble.

The second quarter belonged to the Steelers, who outscored the Raiders, 21-0, en route to a 35-3 rout at Heinz Field.

It also belonged to the Steelers' kid receivers, who are growing up.

"I was extremely happy," Sanders said. "It felt good. Pregame, we got to work out together. First time in the regular season."

A few lockers away, Brown was asked about returning a kickoff the first time he touched the ball in an NFL game, dressing for three additional games, and then not dressing for the next five contests. While he sat, Sanders dressed in his place.

How did that make him feel?

"It's humbling," Brown said. "Thank God for the opportunity today."

Tomlin has been up front with both players that he wanted Sanders, the team's third-round draft choice, and Brown, a sixth-round pick, to engage in a weekly competition for playing time.

Survival of the fittest.

"We haven't been bashful about how we pitted those two against each other all year," Tomlin said. " 'Two dogs, one bone' is the phrase we've been using. They've grown because of the competition. They've driven one another. They're not finished products, but it's not too big for them."

Sanders and Brown, who are best friends, didn't permit the competition to affect their friendship.

"Antonio, that's like my brother over there," Sanders said. "Antonio has made me better, and I'm pretty sure he'll tell you that I've made him better. He makes me better because each week you've got to compete in practice every day. You've got to seize the moment."

"This has made me stronger," Brown said. "Football is a challenge, period. I don't take it as me against anyone else. I'm going to make the most of this opportunity."

Given Brown's play-making potential, it was confusing to me why Brown didn't dress for five consecutive games, given that veteran Antwaan Randle El's punt-return role has been reduced because of Sanders.

Randle El is more experienced than Sanders and Brown, but they are younger, faster and have more big-play potential.

Both players have a greater upside than Randle El. The only thing missing is experience.

The only way they'll gain experience is to continue playing and be permitted to play through their mistakes.

Roethlisberger said Brown didn't run the best route on his 21-yard reception, but Roethlisberger still came away impressed.

"He could have had a lot easier catch, but he wrestled it away," Roethlisberger said.

Sanders and Brown were targeted a total of five times against Oakland. Randle El did not record a catch in a game for the first time this season.

Brown had seven punt returns for a 9.4-yard average against the Raiders. Randle El made a fair catch on his only punt return yesterday.

Sanders was optimistic but realistic about the chances of him and Brown playing next Sunday at Buffalo.

"Hopefully next week the same thing happens," Sanders said.

Tomlin, of course, said no such thing.

"They have a ways to go," said the coach. "We're going to continue to use whatever motivational ploy to keep these guys (ready). I don't have to (decide) until 90 minutes before kickoff next week."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 10454.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_710454.html)

Sugar
11-22-2010, 10:57 PM
I wonder how long Coach will feel the need to use the "two dogs, one bone" method for to motivate these guys?

Chadman
11-22-2010, 11:01 PM
It'll probably upset a few of you, but Chadman has no problem with the 2 rookies playing for the 1 spot on game day & having ARE dress every week. If the game is close, or if the game has circumstances that are less than 'normal', you want to have veterans available. Rookies are great, for many reasons, but you don't want to have to rely on them.

Having Sanders or Brown each week is good- keeps them both active during the week, makes them compete & appreciate the opportunity on game day.

Having ARE there, even if he hasn't set the world on fire, is that little security blanket in case of injury etc.

Oviedo
11-23-2010, 11:35 AM
It'll probably upset a few of you, but Chadman has no problem with the 2 rookies playing for the 1 spot on game day & having ARE dress every week. If the game is close, or if the game has circumstances that are less than 'normal', you want to have veterans available. Rookies are great, for many reasons, but you don't want to have to rely on them.

Having Sanders or Brown each week is good- keeps them both active during the week, makes them compete & appreciate the opportunity on game day.

Having ARE there, even if he hasn't set the world on fire, is that little security blanket in case of injury etc.

I also see the logic especially if you are trying to get their heads into the playbook and teach them the importance of attention to detail.

Still I want Brown returning punts. The big play potential is just too big. If you have to sit a veteran, I think it is time to sit Arnez battle. He clearly is a special teams guy only and doesn't factor into the receiving rotation or offer the "trick play" ability of ARE.

ikestops85
11-23-2010, 11:53 AM
Who did they sit to be able to keep both Manny and the new "Tone" active for the game?

Oviedo
11-23-2010, 01:20 PM
Who did they sit to be able to keep both Manny and the new "Tone" active for the game?

My vote is Battle

StarSpangledSteeler
11-23-2010, 01:24 PM

I was actually thinking the same thing. Right now teams are doubling (even tripling) Wallace and leaving Hines 1-on-1. If we had another #1 WR teams would have to completely alter their defensive packages. Look at the great passing teams recently. Colts (Wayne, Harrison) Patriots (Moss, Welker) Cardinals (Fitzgerald, Boldin). That second WR makes an exponential difference. What if we draft Jon Baldwin for example? A big strong physical WR who can go over the middle and catch the ball in traffic? Combine that with Heath and Sanders on the shorter routes and Mendy out of the backfield and we have the #1 passing attack athletically. Plus what if Wallace gets hurt? We need one more legit starting WR. I'd even look at Blackmon from Oklahoma State.

Having said that, I think OL is still a bigger need in round 1.

RuthlessBurgher
11-23-2010, 01:32 PM

My vote is Battle

:Agree

hawaiiansteel
11-23-2010, 04:22 PM

looks like the new "Tone" may not play this Sunday... :(

Steelers DE Keisel expected to return

The Associated Press

PITTSBURGH, Pa. - Pittsburgh Steelers defensive end Brett Keisel is expected to play at Buffalo after missing all but a few plays of the last five games with a sore hamstring.

Rookie wide receiver Antonio Brown(swollen knee) will be limited in practice and might not play Sunday.

Tight end Matt Spaeth's status is uncertain because of a concussion he sustained Sunday against Oakland.

Safety Will Allen has been cleared to practice after sitting out two games with a concussion.

Safety Troy Polamalu might be limited again in practice due to an Achilles' injury, as he was last week, but coach Mike Tomlin said Tuesday he is expected to play.

Ramon Foster remains at right guard after being promoted ahead of Trai Essex and Doug Legursky before the 35-3 victory over Oakland.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=c ... es-5220358 (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=capress-fbn_steelers_injuries-5220358)

1st and Goal--
11-24-2010, 09:14 AM
The question on Sanders now should be "Is he the #3 WR" It seems this is so.

Since game 7 vs Mia he has been getting more and more playing time and last week vs Oak he was on the field for 30 plays to El's 8.

Maybe the "alleged" clobbering by NE [seems no one noticed that in just a little over 8 minutes of playing time Pit scored 3TD's and drove 64 yds going for a 4th when time ran out at the NE 7yd line] was a good thing. Sanders was in for 64 of 70 plays in the game [Ward hurt] and on one series was the primary guy in a long drive catching 4 or five passes and also getting the TD pass. This game apparently was what he needed to establish a connection with Ben. TY NE.

My guess is he will probably start again against the freaking really hot Bills Sunday.

Getting Brown on the field is another story. All along I have been agreeing with all those saying he should be playing but how? I have given up on possible scenarios. But, I now think the slot will have to come from the D side of the ball. [Little used D situational type ST player---Mundy? ]

I started this post yesterday but decided not to submit it since there should be a thread on the energetic E. Sanders but figured why not post it anyhow.

Oviedo
11-24-2010, 11:40 AM
The question on Sanders now should be "Is he the #3 WR" It seems this is so.

Since game 7 vs Mia he has been getting more and more playing time and last week vs Oak he was on the field for 30 plays to El's 8.

Maybe the "alleged" clobbering by NE [seems no one noticed that in just a little over 8 minutes of playing time Pit scored 3TD's and drove 64 yds going for a 4th when time ran out at the NE 7yd line] was a good thing. Sanders was in for 64 of 70 plays in the game [Ward hurt] and on one series was the primary guy in a long drive catching 4 or five passes and also getting the TD pass. This game apparently was what he needed to establish a connection with Ben. TY NE.

My guess is he will probably start again against the freaking really hot Bills Sunday.

Getting Brown on the field is another story. All along I have been agreeing with all those saying he should be playing but how? I have given up on possible scenarios. But, I now think the slot will have to come from the D side of the ball. [Little used D situational type ST player---Mundy? ]

I started this post yesterday but decided not to submit it since there should be a thread on the energetic E. Sanders but figured why not post it anyhow.

There is no questiuon that Sanders is already the #3 it is just whether the decision has been made. ARE offers little in the passing game compared to what Sanders can deliver.

Brown appears to be a moot point this week since he is hurt, but they need to drop another special teams player once he is healthy to get him out there. The question is what do they value more? A coverage guy? A potential big play return guy? Thus far I think they have valued the former over the latter. Not sure I agree.