PDA

View Full Version : I Blame Tomlin

flippy
11-21-2010, 10:19 AM
There's so many fingers to point on this team. I don't have enough.

So my disgust is aimed at Tomlin for everything.

Sure he sounds cool.

And he's got an endless amount of great one liners.

But he lacks substance.

I'd rather have a great coach that doesn't communicate well in the media, than the captain of the debate team that unleashes crap year in and year out.

From now on, everything bad that happens is on Mike Tomlin.

And the only way he can fix my opinion of him is to win more SuperBowls.

Otherwise, he's enemy #1.

Arians, Lebeau, and all of the rest of the coaches and players get passes from me. Even Essex and Spaeth and ARE. They can't help it they suck. But Mike Tomlin can help keeping them on the roster.

AngryAsian
11-21-2010, 10:40 AM
Flippy... understandable is your frustration, but personnel is not Tomlin's responsibility alone. Kevin Colbert has a big say so... so, if you want to blame Tomlin, heap some of that on Colbert as well.

Steelhere10
11-21-2010, 10:53 AM
I blame him a also, but not for your reason. You can't over haul all the suck talent that was left by Cowher and co. all at once but he is doing a good job at that. What I do blame him for is letting his coordinators come up with the same simple game plan that every team is catching on to now.

feltdizz
11-21-2010, 01:46 PM
More SB's or else? LOL... Most coaches don't even sniff a SB let alone win 1... but Tomlin has to win a few more or beat it? Nah...

While SB's are the ultimate goal I think fixing glaring weaknesses and having your team prepared to compete every week is the true sign of a good coach. Billicheat may be an azz but you know regardless of personnel he is going to have his guys in the hunt most years. All I want from Tomlin is honest assessment of deficiencies on our team. CB's suck.. Go get CB's. OL sucks, draft or trade for better OL. Pats dink and dunk, defend it. Teams take away deep routes, demand shorter routes DURING the game.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-21-2010, 02:19 PM
I blame him a also, but not for your reason. You can't over haul all the suck talent that was left by Cowher and co. all at once but he is doing a good job at that. What I do blame him for is letting his coordinators come up with the same simple game plan that every team is catching on to now.

:Agree

For a while now I've been saying that Tomlin has been deficient in managing his coordinators ... and our W-L is suffering because of it.

BURGH86STEEL
11-21-2010, 03:15 PM
I really don't know what to make of some Steelers fans at times. I would understand fans displeasure if this team had 2 or 3 losing seasons in a row under Tomlin. That's not been the case. There are some things Tomlin can do better. I expect improvement happen as he gains experience.

Good teams lose to other good teams. Good teams lose to bad teams. It happens to the best of teams. I don't know what to else to say to fans that fail to keep things in perspective.

flippy
11-22-2010, 09:20 AM
I really don't know what to make of some Steelers fans at times. I would understand fans displeasure if this team had 2 or 3 losing seasons in a row under Tomlin. That's not been the case. There are some things Tomlin can do better. I expect improvement happen as he gains experience.

Good teams lose to other good teams. Good teams lose to bad teams. It happens to the best of teams. I don't know what to else to say to fans that fail to keep things in perspective.

Some fans don't understand you either ;)

I blame Tomlin for all the penalties. For not sticking up for his players more.

Fouts was talking yesterday about McFadden saying that Lebeau has 1500 defensive plays in his playbook. Good to see Tomlin allowed him to use the same play and philosophy against New England that never works.

flippy
11-22-2010, 09:21 AM
Flippy... understandable is your frustration, but personnel is not Tomlin's responsibility alone. Kevin Colbert has a big say so... so, if you want to blame Tomlin, heap some of that on Colbert as well.

Good point. I'm ok with giving Colbert some of the blame. But great poker players win with bad hands all the time. So Tomlin carries the majority of the blame.

flippy
11-22-2010, 09:22 AM

Good point. I'm ok with giving Colbert some of the blame. But great poker players win with bad hands all the time. So Tomlin carries the majority of the blame.

Oviedo
11-22-2010, 09:46 AM
Early entry for the "what the...?" post of the week

flippy
11-23-2010, 12:03 AM
Early entry for the "what the...?" post of the week

Luckily we unleased Tomlin's twin this week against the Raiders.

hoosierpete
11-23-2010, 01:20 AM
Get your head out of your a$$. Don't spew BS.
You must be king of the overreaction club. Get a life, settle down and appreciate the 7-3 record and the beatdown of the Raiders.

hawaiiansteel
11-23-2010, 01:31 AM
appreciate the 7-3 record and the beatdown of the Raiders.

the Raiders are in my "Three Favorite Teams to Beatdown" list...Raider Nation is mentally ill. :wft

http://viewfrommyseats.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/raider-nation.jpghttp://www.ifetayostewart.com/Raider_Nation.jpg

Djfan
11-23-2010, 01:36 AM
In that picture of Ben scoring the touchdown, did you notice his ninja finger balancing trick? It got him the extra yard to make it across the line before his knee went down.

hoosierpete
11-23-2010, 02:10 AM
Get your head out of your a$$. Don't spew BS.
You must be king of the overreaction club. Get a life, settle down and appreciate the 7-3 record and the beatdown of the Raiders.

flippy
11-23-2010, 07:13 AM
Big deal. We beat the Raiders. We played sloppy.

Problem is we can't beat anyone that's any good. We've got 4 receivers who get a lot of playing time and can't get any separation without running a never ending route (Ward, ARE, Miller, and Spaeth). We need to get Sanders and Brown involved sooner than later.

We've got a comedy of errors going on in the trenches.

We've got an OC that's too clever for his own good and it doesn't help anyone.

We never get into a consistent rhythm on offense like other great teams seem to be able to do.

And we continue to try to impose our will rather than adapt.

I do have to give a little credit for benching Trai Essex (the guy who's worse than ARE and Spaeth combined).

But overall we're an offensive mess.

And defensively, we play too passive too often.

Seeing a pass rush against the Raiders was refreshing.

But next time we play a QB better than Jason Campbell, we'll rush 3 guys and drop 8 into coverage.

Our quasi-prevent defense without any pressure doesn't work ever.

And where the heck did Polamalu go?

All I can hope for is a defense that gets angry because the NFL is targeting them and inspired play by our QB to overcome Mike Tomlin.

And I hope for this when it counts.

But the problem is we have a soft rest of our schedule leading up to the playoffs.

So I have a feeling we could get overconfident and underprepared and have another unleashing hell moment ahead of us yet this season.

Hopefully our QB and D will be too proud to let it happen.

And they will help Mike Tomlin find his second nut.

AngryAsian
11-23-2010, 10:37 AM
Big deal. We beat the Raiders. We played sloppy.

Problem is we can't beat anyone that's any good. We've got 4 receivers who get a lot of playing time and can't get any separation without running a never ending route (Ward, ARE, Miller, and Spaeth). We need to get Sanders and Brown involved sooner than later.

We've got a comedy of errors going on in the trenches.

We've got an OC that's too clever for his own good and it doesn't help anyone.

We never get into a consistent rhythm on offense like other great teams seem to be able to do.

And we continue to try to impose our will rather than adapt.

I do have to give a little credit for benching Trai Essex (the guy who's worse than ARE and Spaeth combined).

But overall we're an offensive mess.

And defensively, we play too passive too often.

Seeing a pass rush against the Raiders was refreshing.

But next time we play a QB better than Jason Campbell, we'll rush 3 guys and drop 8 into coverage.

Our quasi-prevent defense without any pressure doesn't work ever.

And where the heck did Polamalu go?

All I can hope for is a defense that gets angry because the NFL is targeting them and inspired play by our QB to overcome Mike Tomlin.

And I hope for this when it counts.

But the problem is we have a soft rest of our schedule leading up to the playoffs.

So I have a feeling we could get overconfident and underprepared and have another unleashing hell moment ahead of us yet this season.

Hopefully our QB and D will be too proud to let it happen.

And they will help Mike Tomlin find his second nut.

I think LVG possessed your body two weeks ago, and you're now spewing babble like green vomit. Hope the old Flippy shows up soon. This board is already flooded with frustrated internet tough guys who only come to post "I told you this team sucks, blah, blah, blah..."

flippy
11-23-2010, 01:03 PM
I think LVG possessed your body two weeks ago, and you're now spewing babble like green vomit. Hope the old Flippy shows up soon. This board is already flooded with frustrated internet tough guys who only come to post "I told you this team sucks, blah, blah, blah..."

No worries brother. I'm a wimp and carry no authority to tell anyone anything. Maybe a little frustrated as this team wastes precious opportunity.

I honestly think we have enough talent to win it all. But we repeatedly do the same bad things over and over and our coaches aren't putting our players in the best situations to win.

I guess at the end of the day, I find it easier to get behind and support a team of overachievers that just aren't that talented vs a team that has the talent yet underachieves.

The one ray of hope I have left, is Goodell's crackdown on the team may be the catalyst to mold this team into a SuperBowl contender.

proudpittsburgher
11-23-2010, 01:15 PM

No worries brother. I'm a wimp and carry no authority to tell anyone anything. Maybe a little frustrated as this team wastes precious opportunity.

I honestly think we have enough talent to win it all. But we repeatedly do the same bad things over and over and our coaches aren't putting our players in the best situations to win.

I guess at the end of the day, I find it easier to get behind and support a team of overachievers that just aren't that talented vs a team that has the talent yet underachieves.

The one ray of hope I have left, is Goodell's crackdown on the team may be the catalyst to mold this team into a SuperBowl contender.

I think you are on to something here. The Steelers muddled through the first quarter of the game against Oakland, and didn't start to get overly agressive with their play until after the pick six that wasn't. I finally, after that play, felt like the Steelers were starting to play like they should, and for the first time this season, felt like the Steelers were starting to play downhill, offense was running smoothly. Even in our wins this year, I felt like the Steelers were fighting uphill and everything was a struggle. I would love to see that look against the Bills and for the rest of the season.

Now that Seymore was essentually slapped on the wrist for his actions, I want to see the Steelers respond through their actions on the field. Will it be in the form of a few more fines and penalties? Maybe, if it has to be. What I really wanted to see on Sunday was someone on the o-line get ejected from the game in response to Seymore, but with our injury rpoblems, that wasn't possible.

This team plays best when they have a chip on their shoulder.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-23-2010, 02:33 PM
I posted before this last Rayduh game that I blamed Tomlin for not making sure his underlings (i.e., coordinators) did their jobs.

After this game, I gotta be fair and give Tomlin kudos - I think he lit a fire under his coordinators so hot that it turned the players on the field into maniacs.

Gotta remember too - defense has no Kiesel, no Smith, does Wood have a hip injury?, and Polamalu is hobbled with an Achilles.
- offense is so crippled up that even I can name third string linemen, and that is definitely saying something.

Pretty friggin' awesome that we got Sanders and Brown on the field together now, and ARE is relegated to cheerleading pretty much.

There's nothing we can do about Gay and BMac, but like someone else said, that's the cost of having so many Pro-bowl caliber players at other positions.

For me, I'll let BA off the hook when and ONLY when he shows that he has a "Plan B" worked out and then executes it when he finds that he's getting stuffed using whatever "Plan A" he brought out to start a game. It's his lack of agility in adjusting the game plan that seems to me to be the reason to get rid of him. Please, BA, surprise me, please, please, please!!

Bottom line: If the performance against the Raiders was a result of Tomlin smashing some coordinators and position coaches heads together, I think we're in pretty good shape moving forward for the rest of the season.

Allow me to rephrase that, please:

7th Heaven - here we come!!
:tt2 :tt1 :tt1 :Cheers :Boobs :Cheers :tt1 :tt1 :tt2 :tt2

feltdizz
11-23-2010, 02:43 PM

I think you are on to something here. The Steelers muddled through the first quarter of the game against Oakland, and didn't start to get overly agressive with their play until after the pick six that wasn't. I finally, after that play, felt like the Steelers were starting to play like they should, and for the first time this season, felt like the Steelers were starting to play downhill, offense was running smoothly. Even in our wins this year, I felt like the Steelers were fighting uphill and everything was a struggle. I would love to see that look against the Bills and for the rest of the season.

Now that Seymore was essentually slapped on the wrist for his actions, I want to see the Steelers respond through their actions on the field. Will it be in the form of a few more fines and penalties? Maybe, if it has to be. What I really wanted to see on Sunday was someone on the o-line get ejected from the game in response to Seymore, but with our injury rpoblems, that wasn't possible.

This team plays best when they have a chip on their shoulder.

we were up 21 to 3 before the pick 6 that wasn't... and we also had a Mendenhall run to the 3 called back due to a ticky tack hold.

I did not want to see our OL get ejected.. which was the plan IMO.

We all hate the Pats but is sounds like some would rather win that battle instead of the war. We were shown up by Brady... again. It sucks but after venting about it for 3 or 4 days fans need to move on. Just sounds like Flippy bet on the Pats game...

msp26505
11-23-2010, 02:55 PM
Just sounds like Flippy bet on the Pats game...

I find it strange that his behavior changed soon after they brought the McRib back.

Should we be checking the ingredients?

RuthlessBurgher
11-23-2010, 03:13 PM

I find it strange that his behavior changed soon after they brought the McRib back.

I don't care who you are...that's funny right there!

http://revbishop.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/larry-the-cable-guy-cartoon-larry-the-cable-guy-80342_360_500.jpg

hawaiiansteel
11-24-2010, 12:06 AM
Tomlin's proactive approach quickly puts Steelers back on track

By Jason La Canfora NFL.com
NFL Network Insider
Published: Nov. 23, 2010 at 08:20 p.m.

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/catch_all/nfl_image/roethlisberger_tomlin_101123_WIDE.jpg

Keith Srakocic / Associated Press

Mike Tomlin sent a message to his team last week and the Steelers responded by blowing out the Raiders.

In a week in which a second NFL coach was fired for his team's failings, Mike Tomlin quietly showed once again why he might be one of the best young coaches in the history of the game.

Tomlin smoothly navigated the Pittsburgh Steelers through what could have been a troublesome week with a series of bold decisions, displaying a keen sense for the pulse of his locker room, something often lacking in other organizations this season. Coming off a dispiriting performance against New England at home in Week 10, Tomlin faced the challenge of quickly redirecting the energy of his ballclub, with a bit of panic setting in around Pittsburgh that this group might fade in the second half. Instead, Tomlin's moves -- jettisoning a high-profile kicker; juggling his offensive line; marshaling his players through more tough practices; restoring an emphasis on the run game and physical football -- culminated in a thrashing of the Raiders on Sunday that catapulted the Steelers back into the Super Bowl conversation.

"We all knew how big this game was for us," quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said after the 35-3 victory. "We had to get back to playing our kind of football."

Linebacker LaMarr Woodley said: "Coach was saying it was time to get back to playing Steeler football. He kind of laid down to us that it was time to get back to playing physical football."

A loss to Oakland, or even a lackluster performance in a victory, would have been a setback. Early in the week Tomlin stressed the need to play Steeler football, to display more urgency on defense and adopt a more direct approach on offense. He drove the point home by putting the team in pads Wednesday, a rarity for teams as accomplished as this bunch.

"It was different for us, and there was more contact," Woodley said, "but at the same time it was still under control. It was smart."

Tomlin's message carried through the week.

"Coming off that New England game, we kind of went out there and embarrassed ourselves," Woodley said. "On defense, we couldn't stop them; on the first series they marched the ball on us and they put up all kinds of points on us and controlled the game and ran the ball on us.

"We couldn't stop them and this is the road to the Super Bowl and then the next week we're playing a good team like the Raiders that beat us last year and kept us out of the playoffs. We had something to prove. We had to go back out and get our respect back after New England dominated us."

Tomlin, 38, often appears to be very much of his players. He's close in age, dealing with similar life experiences. He walks and talks like them. But he's also clearly a leader of men, and has shown an ability to deliver a stern hand when necessary. And unlike a year ago, when his vow to "unleash hell" in December fell hallow, last week Tomlin's actions did more than those words ever could.

Reed, despite his immature off-field foibles and dip in productivity this season, was well regarded within that locker room based on his prior big kicks. He had kicked on championship teams The conditions at Heinz Field are among the most rugged in the league, and, up until this year, Reed had handled them with aplomb. So, even despite his untimely remarks about fans following the loss to the Patriots, cutting the veteran the next day certainly read like a statement to the entire team.

"A lot of us were surprised by that," Woodley said. "I definitely was surprised he got let go."

Tomlin also took a proactive approach to the offensive mindset. Trai Essex, when healthy, had been a regular starter the past two seasons. But Tomlin benched him for the Oakland game, with second-year reserve Ramon Foster getting that spot at guard. The Steelers ended up run blocking better than they had in weeks, particularly to the right side, and, whereas the Patriots were assaulting Roethlisberger all night, the Raiders' big defensive line didn't sustain much pressure until deep in the game.

The will to run the ball was also there, another factor born of the more physical practices. The Steelers first scoring drive -- while trailing, 3-0 -- was a testament to that. This was quintessential Pittsburgh football -- 14 plays, 85 yards, 8:06. Six of the final eight plays were rushes by Rashard Mendenhall, including the touchdown, and the Raiders never quite recovered.

The Steelers regained their swagger as the game went on. Things turned chippy early, with Chris Kemoeatu going at it with Richard Seymour and then Seymour ultimately ejected and fined $25,000 for punching Roethlisberger in the head after a play. So it was no surprise that Roethlisberger continued to look for Mike Wallace deep downfield even with the game out of hand, and Tomlin opted to play many key veterans very late into the blowout.

There was plenty Tomlin still wanted to get on film for the rest of the league to see. Pittsburgh football is never without a hint of intimidation, and this was no time to show mercy to an inferior opponent. Raiders quarterbacks Jason Campbell and Bruce Gradkowski could never get comfortable, and the beating spanned all spheres, from the mental to the physical to the emotional.

But having already lost to the Ravens (on a last-second drive) and Patriots at home, Tomlin and the Steelers know that only so much can be proven in November. A Week 13 trip to Baltimore looms with the AFC North on the line. However, a meeting with the offensively potent Bills is next, and you can guarantee Tomlin is railing against any signs of complacency.

I have the suspicion that when that Ravens game does come near, his Steelers will be ready to play.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... k-on-track (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81c5d36d/article/tomlins-proactive-approach-quickly-puts-steelers-back-on-track)

LordVile
11-24-2010, 02:28 AM
what many of required against the Raiders was a dominating blow out of a win to regain confidence in this team.. to make some sort of statement and they responded in flying colors. Yeah, there is always room for improvement but I am feeling good about this team this week and hopefully come december and playoffs we'll be firing on all cylinders. I'm not gonna nit pick this week, although, one always can. I'm holding my head up higher than usual, even when we suck, i'll do the same... but we're in a good position and we couldn't ask for too much more against the Raiders especially with the refs against us..

Kudos to the men in Black N Gold..

Go STEE7ERS :Beer

Shawn
11-24-2010, 05:14 AM
I have had many favorite coaches on my favorite teams over the years. Cowher, Tressel etc but Tomlin takes the cake. He is cerebral and has a fire that I find needed in a coach. He is growing, learning and only getting better which is scarey considering his early success.

Oviedo
11-24-2010, 09:07 AM
From today's Trib Review

Tomlin, according to Sports Illustrated, polls favorably among his peers. In a survey of almost 300 players, Tomlin finished second only to the Jets' Rex Ryan regarding the coach for which NFL players would most like to suit up. Tomlin garnered 12 percent of 279 votes compared to 21 percent for Ryan.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 10714.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_710714.html)

But what do NFL players know compared to internet posters? Pretty much puts the assanine criticism of Tomlin into perspective.

flippy
11-24-2010, 10:19 AM

That's Ronald's biggest secret. The greatest sammich ever. Nice call. :)

flippy
11-24-2010, 10:28 AM
From today's Trib Review

Tomlin, according to Sports Illustrated, polls favorably among his peers. In a survey of almost 300 players, Tomlin finished second only to the Jets' Rex Ryan regarding the coach for which NFL players would most like to suit up. Tomlin garnered 12 percent of 279 votes compared to 21 percent for Ryan.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 10714.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_710714.html)

But what do NFL players know compared to internet posters? Pretty much puts the assanine criticism of Tomlin into perspective.

The difference between NFL players and fans is the passion for the game. These guys are paid to care. We just care for free because we're poor schlubs with nothing better to care about.

I found it interesting that we played the Raiders this past week because during the shellacking we got from the Pats, I thought to myself, this must be what the Raiders and their fans felt like when they played us in the 70s.

Re: the poll you reference, you could argue NFL players aren't making the right choice. They should want to play for Bellichick considering he has Brady as his QB and that duo has had the best overall success and should give them the best chance of winning.

But then again, their choices seem to highlight that players don't care about winning as much as other things - like money.

I bleed black and gold for free.

ikestops85
11-24-2010, 10:39 AM
From today's Trib Review

The difference between NFL players and fans is the passion for the game. These guys are paid to care. We just care for free because we're poor schlubs with nothing better to care about.

I found it interesting that we played the Raiders this past week because during the shellacking we got from the Pats, I thought to myself, this must be what the Raiders and their fans felt like when they played us in the 70s.

Re: the poll you reference, you could argue NFL players aren't making the right choice. They should want to play for Bellichick considering he has Brady as his QB and that duo has had the best overall success and should give them the best chance of winning.

But then again, their choices seem to highlight that players don't care about winning as much as other things - like money.

But if the players were only interested in money they wouldn't rank Pittsburgh so high. Either Dallas or Washington would have topped the list so I think that logic is false. In a poll like this the players are free to choose and they went with winners. Ryan and Tomlin rank around the top as far as winning percentage so I think it's a credit to Tomlin.

AngryAsian
11-24-2010, 11:02 AM
I think in today's NFL climate there's a "WIN FAST AND WIN NOW" perception and often coaches do not have the time develop their skills before they are shown the proverbial door. There have been mentions of Belichick a lot on this thread. We could hate him all we want and yes he's had a history of not-so-savory-observation practices, but Billy boy has had the time to absorb football and evolve his acumen for the game, especially under the direction of a great such as Parcells... even had a chance for a trial run at HC within the Browns organization. Tomlin comes from the Dungy tree and had some time as a DB coach under him, but only one year as a DC with the Vikes. He's done a great job thus far, but there will be pitfalls and there will be disappointments... but slowly we're seeing his stamp on both personnel and what's produced out on the field. Its an evolution, and though we've already won a championship under his banner, he's only in his 4th year with .655 winning percentage since he's ascended to his position. Just stating some obvious facts and highlight maybe the need for some patience.

I waited from 1980 to 2005 between championships... many rough years. We've had few valleys since 2003.

RuthlessBurgher
11-24-2010, 11:05 AM

Bill Belichick, Tom Brady, and the rest of the New England Cheetahs last won a Super Bowl following the 2004 season. The Pittsburgh Steelers have won Super Bowls with 2 different coaches since then.

I blame Tomlin as well. I blame him for our 7-3 record which has us tied for first place in our division and in position for a deep playoff run toward yet another championship.

:tt2 :tt1

Oviedo
11-24-2010, 11:30 AM
From today's Trib Review

Got it. You hate Tomlin and nothing will change that. We can move on now.

feltdizz
11-24-2010, 01:05 PM
why would players want to play with Billy and Brady over anyone else? They don't look like they even enjoy winning. After they won their last SB in 2004... looong time ago in football years I remember a commentator saying the locker room was gloomy as hell and he wondered WTF was going on.

Flippy... you need to get off your knees and get some dignity dude. 8)

Pats were awesome when the Rats put their foot in Brady's azzz last year in the playoffs

Dee Dub
11-24-2010, 01:17 PM
WOW! Mike Tomlin has his team tied for first with 6 games to go at 7-3...and he has done this while not having his star QB for the first 4 games of the season.

OK that makes sense. :roll:

papillon
11-24-2010, 02:33 PM
WOW! Mike Tomlin has his team tied for first with 6 games to go at 7-3...and he has done this while not having his star QB for the first 4 games of the season.

The folks that don't like Mike Tomlin will never like Mike Tomlin and facts and results won't change that. When the Steelers win games its because of the players or it's Cowher's players, or the opponent sucked or [insert flavor of the day] and the coaches have nothing to do with making the right moves, calling the plays, implementing the game plan, etc.

When the Steelers lose games it's the coaches fault from the top right on down to the coaching intern that samples the gatorade to make sure it is replenishing the proper nutrients in the players. Don't bother trying to convince them otherwise. There is one exclusion to this rule, D1ck Lebeau is never at fault or wrong.

Pappy

flippy
11-24-2010, 02:34 PM
We've played 3 teams that can legitimately compete for a SuperBowl and we lost to all 3 of them.

I'm a fan of Tomlin. I just question how much substance there is behind his rhetoric.

And if the playoffs started today, we'd be a 6 seed and have to win 4 road games to win #7. It's a hard path, but we've done it before.

But I just don't feel a lot of confidence in this team right now. We've got little rhythm on offense. And we can't generate a consistent pass rush to help our pass D.

There's a load of work to do and our biggest weakness is adjusting from the initial plan.

Dee Dub
11-24-2010, 03:24 PM
We've played 3 teams that can legitimately compete for a SuperBowl and we lost to all 3 of them.

I'm a fan of Tomlin. I just question how much substance there is behind his rhetoric.

And if the playoffs started today, we'd be a 6 seed and have to win 4 road games to win #7. It's a hard path, but we've done it before.

But I just don't feel a lot of confidence in this team right now. We've got little rhythm on offense. And we can't generate a consistent pass rush to help our pass D.

There's a load of work to do and our biggest weakness is adjusting from the initial plan.

I think you are forgetting a fourth team-------the Atlanta Falcons. A team in which the Steelers smoked.

And one of those other teams you mentioned-----the Baltimore Ravens, the Steelers lost too by 3 points without their best player---Ben Roethlisberger.

Oh..and one other thing.....the playoffs dont begin today. You are forgetting something that happens every year (something that is coming real soon), that is always to the advantage of the Pittsburgh Steelers. Bad weather. Bank on it.

The New England Patriots wont be as potent as the were (spreading the field), in bad weather. And yes i know they play in bad weather too but their offense cannot be the same in bad weather. It is a fact.

Dee Dub
11-24-2010, 03:42 PM
How soon they forget.

2005 regular season losses for the Super Bowl Champion Pittsburgh Steelers

Week 3 Sunday September 25 4:15 PM CBS New England Patriots L 23-20

Week 6 Sunday October 16 1:00 PM CBS Jacksonville Jaguars L 23-17 (OT)

Week 11 Sunday November 20 1:00 PM CBS Baltimore Ravens L 16-13 (OT)

Week 12 Monday November 28 9:00 PM ABC Indianapolis Colts L 26-7

Week 13 Sunday December 4 1:00 PM CBS Cincinnati Bengals L 38-31

New England finished---10-6
Jacksonville finished---12-4
Baltimore finished---6-10
Indianapolis finishedó14-2
Cincinnati finishedó11-5

4 of their 5 regular season losses came versus playoff teams.

Kid
11-24-2010, 03:55 PM

The folks that don't like Mike Tomlin will never like Mike Tomlin and facts and results won't change that. When the Steelers win games its because of the players or it's Cowher's players, or the opponent sucked or [insert flavor of the day] and the coaches have nothing to do with making the right moves, calling the plays, implementing the game plan, etc.

When the Steelers lose games it's the coaches fault from the top right on down to the coaching intern that samples the gatorade to make sure it is replenishing the proper nutrients in the players. Don't bother trying to convince them otherwise. There is one exclusion to this rule, D1ck Lebeau is never at fault or wrong.

Pappy

the same can be said for the ones that like tomlin, just flip it around

feltdizz
11-24-2010, 03:58 PM

I know what you are doing Flippy. Good job. :Beer

RuthlessBurgher
11-24-2010, 04:27 PM

That sure as hell is an improvement from last year, when we were losing to multiple teams that were drafting in the top 10.

flippy
11-24-2010, 04:45 PM
You guys are making me feel better with many of the points made.

I just can't shake this feeling of this team stagnating and not taking the next step toward being elite.

I want to believe, but I'm stuck in a mental block right now. I know we can be better.

flippy
11-24-2010, 04:45 PM

I just can't shake this feeling of this team stagnating and not taking the next step toward being elite.

I want to believe, but I'm stuck in a mental block right now. I know we can be better.

RuthlessBurgher
11-24-2010, 04:49 PM

Also, I think you got trigger finger when clicking on your mouse. You keep double posting everything, which makes it seems like you are twice as depressed as you truly are. :wink:

hawaiiansteel
11-24-2010, 04:56 PM
Also, I think you got trigger finger when clicking on your mouse. You keep double posting everything, which makes it seems like you are twice as depressed as you truly are. :wink:

thanks for pointing that out, I thought I was seeing double there for a minute...

http://www.freakingnews.com/pictures/35500/neyo--35638.jpg

RuthlessBurgher
11-24-2010, 04:58 PM
I'm calling shenanigans...there is at least a 50% chance that the above picture was photoshop enhanced. :P

papillon
11-24-2010, 05:01 PM

Pappy

And, that's exactly why you can't look at a one game sample and determine whether a coach is good or not, you have to look at the entire body of work. At this point in time Mike Tomlin's body of work puts him in the upper echelon of the coaches in the NFL. His team's winning percentage and success is not being mirrored by any coach at this time.

Should the Steelers make it into the playoffs this year Mike Tomlin will have been the coach of the Steelers for 4 years and they will have reached the playoffs 3 out of the 4 years and will own a Super Bowl trophy. His overall record is something like 40-20 with a 3-1 record in the postseason. You don't achieve these results unless you're doing something right. Barry Switzer inherited a good Cowboy team won a Super Bowl and then proceeded to screw it up. He was coach for 4 years and was fired because things were in decline. So, you can inherit good players and screw it up; it doesn't appear to be the case with Mike Tomlin at this point in time.

Pappy

hawaiiansteel
11-24-2010, 05:06 PM
Should the Steelers make it into the playoffs this year Mike Tomlin will have been the coach of the Steelers for 4 years and they will have reached the playoffs 3 out of the 4 years and will own two Super Bowl trophies.
Pappy

there, fixed that for you... :D

flippy
11-24-2010, 06:03 PM

Darn touchpads :HeadBanger

I think it's the ad server hanging up again every time I post. :)

SteelAbility
11-24-2010, 06:47 PM
7-3 ain't half bad for an overpaid janitor. :wink:

Kid
11-24-2010, 09:34 PM

Pappy

And, that's exactly why you can't look at a one game sample and determine whether a coach is good or not, you have to look at the entire body of work. At this point in time Mike Tomlin's body of work puts him in the upper echelon of the coaches in the NFL. His team's winning percentage and success is not being mirrored by any coach at this time.

Should the Steelers make it into the playoffs this year Mike Tomlin will have been the coach of the Steelers for 4 years and they will have reached the playoffs 3 out of the 4 years and will own a Super Bowl trophy. His overall record is something like 40-20 with a 3-1 record in the postseason. You don't achieve these results unless you're doing something right. Barry Switzer inherited a good Cowboy team won a Super Bowl and then proceeded to screw it up. He was coach for 4 years and was fired because things were in decline. So, you can inherit good players and screw it up; it doesn't appear to be the case with Mike Tomlin at this point in time.

Pappy

i dont think there is a coach in this league right now that would have done any worse than tomlin at this point, given the same set of circumstances

Sugar
11-24-2010, 10:33 PM
i dont think there is a coach in this league right now that would have done any worse than tomlin at this point, given the same set of circumstances

I gotta disagree there. IMO, all but a handful of current NFL coaches would have made the team worse- that includes Whiz, BTW. I cannot begin to imagine this team coached by Cable, Lewis or McDaniel. :HeadBanger

papillon
11-24-2010, 10:52 PM

Pappy

Pappy

Well, that is purely subjective and your opinion and there's no way to prove that. You're not the only one that thinks Tomlin is a bad coach.

On the other hand I have to say, really?

Cable
Lewis
Any coach of the Lions over the past 4 years
Any coach of the Rams over the past 4 years
Childress
Any Seahawks coach over the past 4 years
Whiz
Kubiak
Del Rio
Any Jets coach over the past 4 years, including Ryan
Any Browns coach over the past 4 years
Any Kansas City coach over the past 4 years
Mcdaniel
Wade Phillips

These are just the ones you can really disregard without a thought. You can keep on believing that Tomlin isn't doing anything, but the results and the players on this football team are saying differently.

Pappy