PDA

View Full Version : If What Keisel Says is true then....

NorthCoast
11-20-2010, 10:22 AM
D1ck LeBeau's skills and judgement are severely in question:

Blueprint To Beat LeBeau Written In 2002
By Dagger, on December 11th, 2007

Brett Keisel was quoted after the Steeler game saying that the defense was “surprised that the Patriots threw the ball as much as they did” and that they expected them to mix run and pass. Huh??? Are you kidding me? Keisel also went on to say that “the gameplan we had coming into the game needs to be thrown into the trash” and that the Steelers weren’t prepared for what the Pats did on offense. uuuummm yeah. Understatement of the year. But how can this be? Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it. Your good buddy, Dagger is here to take you back in time with a quick history lesson. Let’s hope this look into the past doesn’t dig up any old ghosts or fall into the hands of any more Offensive Coordinators.

Alrighty….let’s start off with the basics. The Steelers have lost 6 of the last 7 to New England. Wondering why? Well, the Patriots do what many teams in the NFL are unwilling to do….when they face the Steelers they toss aside conventional wisdom, they often abandon the run, and the attack the Steelers greatest weakness (their pass D). Sure our DLs and LBs are fantastic in the run game. Yes our LBs can blitz and pressure the QB in this complicated defensive scheme, but NO….this defense was not built to stop the spread offense. The spread offense is the Dick LeBeau 3-4 defense’s Kryptonite.

When the Patriots come out in a 5WR formation at their own one yard line, I think that tells you that they have spotted a weakness in the Steelers defense and they’re hell bent on exploiting it. Screw the running game. Who cares how many times you run the ball? Who says you have to be balanced on offense? If your strength just so happens to be your opponent’s weakness, then you’d be silly not to attack it.

I hate the Patriots but I LOVE the way they spit in the face of the old-timer “run-run-pass” offensive logic. One week their opponents dictate that they must rely on a passing attack, the next week they give the ball to Maroney all game, the next week Maroney gets 2 carries, etc….I just admire their aggressive nature. (But I hate them) I hope you understand. I guess I respect the fact that they PLAY TO WIN THE GAME by any and all means necessary. There are so many coaches and teams in the NFL that are so ultra-conservative that they almost handicap their own offense. The Steelers sit nearly $10 Million dollars below the NFL salary cap. This past offseason, the Patriots acquired Moss, Welker, Gaffney, Adalius Thomas, Stallworth, and others. Again, being aggressive and “going for it.” You have to respect that. They build from within just like us, they draft well and all that good stuff, but they compliment their homegrown talent with good acquisitions. While the Pats are out acquiring Pro Bowl talent, the Steelers are playing it nice and conservative….picking up Sean Mahan and Cedric Wilson.

To quote myself and a widely-used NHL saying “Safe Is Death” and the Patriots never, ever, ever play safe.

http://www.postgameheroes.com/?p=10362#IDComment110815762

How you could think that NE would not go pass-happy on us is baffling. As the article says, history tells us everything. Add to that our secondary this season is highly suspect and it is screaming for a dink and dunk game plan. Shame on LeBeau.

Oh, and BA, please note the highlighted comment. You could use some better judgement as well.

My bad: the article was written in 2007!!! but reads oh so familiar today. Here is the followup quote from last week's game:

Sound familiar? It still bothers me 3 days after the game that Lebeau won’t change his defense for this one opponent. If the Pats and Steelers meet in the postseason, and Lebeau has the team play a 3-4, the Steelers will lose. Guaranteed. I don’t understand why for this ONE GAME ONLY…for this ONE OPPONENT ONLY Lebeau can’t think outside the box and run a 1-5-5 or a 4-3 (with LBs as DL) or a 3-3-5. Something, anything other than sitting there and looking helpless and confused. The 3-4 defense is such a bad matchup for a quick passing spread offense that no amount of preparation, gameplanning, or personnel adjustments would help a bit. It requires a complete and total overhaul of the Steelers traditional defensive scheme. Is it drastic? Sure, but desperate times call for desperate measures. If the Pats are capable of changing their whole gameplan when they play us by going all-pass all the time, then why can’t we do the same with our gameplan?

AkronSteel
11-20-2010, 10:32 AM
The whole reason NE is and has been running this type of offense is because they ran it in the opening game of MNF in '02 against the Steelers and it worked! They have not stopped running it since!! How Lebeau cannot see that I don't understand??? This team has been doing the same thing for almost 10 years and we have not adjusted at all, just keep doing the same ol' thing!! We have beat Brady one time, one time gosh darn it!!! I flippin' hate that pretty boy but hey he gets the job done!! Baffling just baffling!!!!

:HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger

Mister Pittsburgh
11-20-2010, 10:49 AM
This is getting retarded. I am starting to wonder if there isn't asbestos or black mold or something in the coaches offices which is eating their brains. Its one thing for the players to think they can throw their jocks on the field and win. It is another when the coaches seem to put so little effort into their craft.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-20-2010, 11:40 AM
This is getting retarded. I am starting to wonder if there isn't asbestos or black mold or something in the coaches offices which is eating their brains. Its one thing for the players to think they can throw their jocks on the field and win. It is another when the coaches seem to put so little effort into their craft.

^^ Now that is funny. And sadly, the best explanation I have heard for the pull-the-plug, brain-dead coordinators plans recently, ESPECIALLY against the *s.

Northcoast, that was painful, but thanks for posting - that article was written in 2007??? It seems like it could have been written this week. Zero. That's how much progress LeBeau has made against game planning for the *s, and teams like them.

The year we beat them, wasn't Marcia injured?

NorthCoast
11-20-2010, 12:02 PM
The first word that came to mind to describe LeBeau's scheme against NE was:

ar·ro·gant
? ?/?ær?g?nt/ Show Spelled[ar-uh-guhnt]
–adjective
making claims or pretensions to superior importance or rights; overbearingly assuming; insolently proud: an arrogant public official.

Then I found a much better adjective:

in·tran·si·gent
? ?/?n?træns?d??nt/ Show Spelled[in-tran-si-juhnt]
–adjective
refusing to agree or compromise; uncompromising; inflexible

focosteeler
11-20-2010, 12:06 PM
im hoping that LeBeau secretly has some bad a$$ 1-5-5 scheme or somehting of the sorts that he is waiting to unveil until we play them in the playoffs. so belicheat doesnt have time to sit there and disect it.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-20-2010, 12:10 PM
im hoping that LeBeau secretly has some bad a$$ 1-5-5 scheme or somehting of the sorts that he is waiting to unveil until we play them in the playoffs. so belicheat doesnt have time to sit there and disect it.

That's what I said last Sunday - I sure hope it's true!!

The thing is, you can't go with just 1 plan - you've got to have a plan B, and maybe a plan C, to be pulled out depending on what the other team does. I think it's called "making adjustments".

BA is a BAsket case - we know he can't make adjustments.

I don't know that I've seen LeBeau do that?