PDA

View Full Version : Players tired of Goodell's power

Djfan
11-19-2010, 08:59 PM
http://www.businessinsider.com/football-players-are-sick-of-roger-goodells-tyranny-2010-11

Football Players Are Sick Of Roger Goodell's Tyranny
Adam Fusfeld | Nov. 4, 2010, 6:02 PM | 538 | comment 5

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell

The Most Powerful Men In Pro Football

Roger Goodell is the most powerful man in American sports. But if Troy Polamalu had a say, well, he'd want a say in things.

Goodell has maintained a strict reign as commissioner of the NFL. He holds players to a personal conduct policy and is quick to punish players – no matter their fame – for violating NFL rules or league policies. He doesn't shy away from fining players for everything from tweeting to hard hitting and drug use.

In 2010 alone he's levied $100K worth of fines to Steelers linebackers James Harrison for hits he dished out on the field. That has teammate Troy Polamalu calling for a change in the NFL power structure.

"He's got all the power," Polamalu told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "That may be part of the problem, that there needs to be some type of separation of power like our government. There should be some type of players involved in decisions over how much people should be fined or what they should be fined for, as well as coaches, as well as front office people."

He's got a point. The NFL should have a committee of representatives for all parties to levy fines and suspensions to players. The league just has to be sure to give representation to players on the giving and receiving ends of the hits.

Football is America's game, and there's nothing more American then good, old fashioned democracy.

See Also: The Most Powerful Men In Pro Football

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/football ... z15mQ6Rfm7 (http://www.businessinsider.com/football-players-are-sick-of-roger-goodells-tyranny-2010-11#ixzz15mQ6Rfm7)

BradshawsHairdresser
11-19-2010, 09:08 PM
Did you catch the interview with Urlacher after the game last night?

Noted that Goodell is a "dictator." Clearly, he wasn't happy about these fines. Said that he was going to continue to hit hard, and let the fines fall where they may; that's the only way he could play football.

focosteeler
11-19-2010, 09:51 PM

Noted that Goodell is a "dictator." Clearly, he wasn't happy about these fines. Said that he was going to continue to hit hard, and let the fines fall where they may; that's the only way he could play football.

i was doing this while i was watching :Bow :Bow :Bow :Bow

i think that players need to continue to speak out, and they need to talk to their owners. im still hoping that someone calls out the office for the fineable hits that were not fined this week. its getting ridiculous

birtikidis
11-19-2010, 10:09 PM

i was doing this while i was watching :Bow :Bow :Bow :Bow

i think that players need to continue to speak out, and they need to talk to their owners. im still hoping that someone calls out the office for the fineable hits that were not fined this week. its getting ridiculous
i didn't see it, but I'd love to...