PDA

View Full Version : What will need to be done

SteelCrazy
11-19-2010, 07:10 PM
if we go on another melt down like last year? We cant continue to waste talent or coaching. If we miss the playoffs again something will have to be done and that means getting rid of someone or a few someones.

I know Tomlin stays because it would be silly to get rid of him without a losing record and he is a good coach.

Arians needs to go regardless of our outcome this year. He is too old in his thinking and never has come out from a halftime with answers when we needed them. Ben just has been able to bail us out.

Kugler seems to know what he's doing but is bad luck when it comes to injuries to the lineman.

Everest has done well this year on special teams and by well I mean no TD returns.

James Farrior is getting old but seems to be playing at a high level still yet and Im not sure replacing him will do us a whole lot of good.

Aaron Smith is great but his injuries are killing us almost every year so we need to let Ziggy do his job or get someone else through the draft/fa.

Brett Kiesel is a good player but isnt getting any younger. Do we need to ask for more from our DL then what we already do?

Big Snack is getting pushed backwards more every year, so we need that as well.

Ike Taylor we NEED to keep.

B-Mac needs to get on a train back to Arizona.

Ryan Clark has lost his Swagga.

Besides Pouncey, our OL needs to be replaced by 4 1st rounders just as good.

That should fix it. What do you think it'll take?

Discipline of Steel
11-19-2010, 07:58 PM
Roger Goodell fired.

Crash
11-19-2010, 08:04 PM
I think a major re-tooling is needed regardless. In fact, if it weren't for the impending CBA I think they may have started it already.

They known a lockout is possible, that's why they kept some vets around and are "going for" one more ring before having to really rebuild, especially on defense.

Shawn
11-19-2010, 08:53 PM
Considering we are on our third string RT and second string LT, DEx2...and our OL/DL looks like junk I think we need to focus on OL/DL in the upcoming draft. I wouldn't cry if Arians got canned as well. Beyond that I don't believe we should panic. This was a very very good Steeler team until the recent injuries to our OL and DL.

Again I will state the importance of the trenches. No, it doesn't excite like drafting a first round WR but you win with a franchise QB and solid line play on both sides of the ball. That combination will win many games for a team. When that is gone even the best of teams will look very average.

birtikidis
11-19-2010, 10:12 PM
Considering we are on our third string RT and second string LT, DEx2...and our OL/DL looks like junk I think we need to focus on OL/DL in the upcoming draft. I wouldn't cry if Arians got canned as well. Beyond that I don't believe we should panic. This was a very very good Steeler team until the recent injuries to our OL and DL.

Again I will state the importance of the trenches. No, it doesn't excite like drafting a first round WR but you win with a franchise QB and solid line play on both sides of the ball. That combination will win many games for a team. When that is gone even the best of teams will look very average.
I would just like to see a guard playing guard on the right side. Not a former tackle (Essex or foster) or a former center (legursky), but you know, an actual for real guard!

Shawn
11-19-2010, 10:23 PM

I would just like to see a guard playing guard on the right side. Not a former tackle (Essex or foster) or a former center (legursky), but you know, an actual for real guard!

Wouldn't that be nice. And I hope his name is Pouncey. :)

pfelix73
11-19-2010, 10:25 PM
I'm not so sure Kugler is an upgrade from the other idiot we had. I for one, wasn't jumping for joy when he was hired.

IF this team goes into another tail spin it starts at the top. Tomlin would need to have some balls and start firing some coaches. BA comes to mind. LeBeau stays for 1 more year.

:tt1

SteelCrazy
11-19-2010, 11:07 PM
We need depth because we obviously have none. We barely have legit starters on the OL. I wonder why its been ignored for so long, but I guess we cant have super stars all over the field. However, we should be able to have a pretty good OL when healthy and capable back-ups when not so healthy.

Shawn
11-20-2010, 12:01 AM
We need depth because we obviously have none. We barely have legit starters on the OL. I wonder why its been ignored for so long, but I guess we cant have super stars all over the field. However, we should be able to have a pretty good OL when healthy and capable back-ups when not so healthy.

I don't think it's been ignored. But, I do believe the Steelers tried to use subprime draft picks to fill holes for the most part. Many teams do it and are successful. Unfortunately for us our scouting for OL talent has been poor at best.

NorthCoast
11-20-2010, 10:02 AM

I don't think it's been ignored. But, I do believe the Steelers tried to use subprime draft picks to fill holes for the most part. Many teams do it and are successful. Unfortunately for us our scouting for OL talent has been poor at best.

I agree Shawn. The draft pick misses for OL talent have been bigger than most want to admit.

A.Q. Shipley - Rd. 7 2009; is he even in football today?

Tony Hills - Rd. 4; 2008; for a guy with a couple of years under his belt, very little contribution.

Cameron Stephenson - Rd. 5 2007; who?

Willie Colon - Rd. 4, 2006: finally found a starter in the draft!

Marvin Philip - Rd. 6, 2006; there were some early raves...but they faded pretty quick.

Trai Essex - Rd. 3, 2005; well, he is starting now...must be better than what is on the bench.

Chris Kemoeatu - Rd. 6, 2005; is a beast....sometimes.

Max Starks - Rd. 3, 2004; another starter, who actually exceeded his draft position I think.

Bo Lacy - Rd. 6, 2004; training camp fodder...

Drew Caylor - Rd. 6, 2004; who II?

Whomever is our OL scout probably needs to go. The record is just not too pretty over the last 5 years. Strange thing is a team like NE always seems to be able to make their low round OL picks work out. Not sure if it is true today, but I think last year they had a converted TE playing decent at guard. Guess coaching also counts for something as well.

Mister Pittsburgh
11-20-2010, 10:23 AM

I agree Shawn. The draft pick misses for OL talent have been bigger than most want to admit.

A.Q. Shipley - Rd. 7 2009; is he even in football today?

Tony Hills - Rd. 4; 2008; for a guy with a couple of years under his belt, very little contribution.

Cameron Stephenson - Rd. 5 2007; who?

Willie Colon - Rd. 4, 2006: finally found a starter in the draft!

Marvin Philip - Rd. 6, 2006; there were some early raves...but they faded pretty quick.

Trai Essex - Rd. 3, 2005; well, he is starting now...must be better than what is on the bench.

Chris Kemoeatu - Rd. 6, 2005; is a beast....sometimes.

Max Starks - Rd. 3, 2004; another starter, who actually exceeded his draft position I think.

Bo Lacy - Rd. 6, 2004; training camp fodder...

Drew Caylor - Rd. 6, 2004; who II?

Whomever is our OL scout probably needs to go. The record is just not too pretty over the last 5 years. Strange thing is a team like NE always seems to be able to make their low round OL picks work out. Not sure if it is true today, but I think last year they had a converted TE playing decent at guard. Guess coaching also counts for something as well.

LOL. Those offensive line picks freaking suck! What is even funnier is if you review some of the other jackholes we drafted instead of offensive linemen.....Omar Jacobs LOL! How about all the LB we have taken over the years in the lower rounds and missed on so we had to use high picks on them which kept us from taking high picks on OL. Rian Wallace, Nathaniel Adibi, etc.

SteelCrazy
11-20-2010, 01:08 PM
Our past draft picks are really the tell all........

1sr rd: Maurkice Pouncey
2nd Rd: Jason Worilds
3rd: Emmanuel Sanders
---------------------
1st RD: Evander Hood
2nd RD: Kraig Urbik
3rd RD: Mike Wallace
---------------------
1st RD: Rashard Mendenhall
2nd RD: Limas Sweed
3rd RD: Bruce Davis
---------------------
1st RD: Lawerence Timmons
2nd RD: LaMarr Woodley
3rd RD: Matt Spaeth
---------------------
1st RD: Santonio Holmes
2nd RD: Anthony Smith
3rd RD: Willie Reid
---------------------

We've Picked 1 DB in the last 5 drafts in rounds 1-3 and 2 OL in the last 5 drafts in rds 1-3. It's no coincidence that they are our weakest spots. Anthony Smith rd 2 in 2006 is gone and Kraig Urbik RD 2 in 2009 is gone.

hawaiiansteel
11-20-2010, 02:23 PM

---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------

We've Picked 1 DB in the last 5 drafts in rounds 1-3 and 2 OL in the last 5 drafts in rds 1-3. It's no coincidence that they are our weakest spots. Anthony Smith rd 2 in 2006 is gone and Kraig Urbik RD 2 in 2009 is gone.

Kraig Urbik and Anthony Smith actually were 3rd round picks but that doesn't change the fact that they were wasted draft choices.

http://static.steelers.com/MediaContent/2009/05/02/10/09_MC502_Urbik_105327.jpghttp://www.blogcdn.com/www.fanhouse.com/media/2007/12/anthony-smith-pit-121007.jpg

SteelCrazy
11-20-2010, 02:58 PM

---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------

Kraig Urbik and Anthony Smith actually were 3rd round picks but that doesn't change the fact that they were wasted draft choices.

http://static.steelers.com/MediaContent/2009/05/02/10/09_MC502_Urbik_105327.jpghttp://www.blogcdn.com/www.fanhouse.com/media/2007/12/anthony-smith-pit-121007.jpg

My bad......you are always right. Im not sure why I even post........ :HeadBanger