PDA

View Full Version : Arians speaks

fordfixer
11-19-2010, 02:16 AM
Arians speaks
November 18th, 2010

http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the- ... ox+Blog%29 (http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2010/11/18/arians-speaks/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+triblive%2Fblog%2FViewFromThe PressBox+%28View+from+the+Press+Box+Blog%29)

Judging by the response to the blog entry I posted earlier this week about Bruce Arians, it's probably best to post a transcript of his Thursday Q&A sessions with reporters.

Thanks to all who took part in and kept the disuccsion going about Arians and the job he has done as the Steelers' offensivfe coordinator. A lot of insight was provided by a lot of people, and it gave me a good sampling as to how Steelers fans feel about Arians.

That being said, here is Arians' talk with reporters following practice Thursday:

Q: Is it possible you might start opening up the offense more?

A: “I don’t think so. Each game’s a little different. We talk about it each week. Last week we had to (open it up) but we want to maintain balance as long as we can in the game. To me, (50/50) is the perfect ratio. You come into a game and you have the lead in the fourth quarter the runs are going to go up.”

Q: Has anything stood out about why the offense has struggled to score touchdowns in the red zone?

A: “Yeah, dropped balls. We haven’t run it very good inside the 10-yard line. We’ve had like first and goal at the seven or eight and we haven’t run the ball for 3 (yards), run the ball for 3 (yards) and gotten it down there where you have two things to do. We’ve thrown it into the end zone and it’s come right back to second and 7. We need to pick that up.”

Q: How do you react when players are making mistakes like they were last week?

A: “You identify the problems and you keep your poise on the sidelines because there’s a long way to go. The most disappointing thing to me is we’ve been very, very good for four years starting second halves, and we have not been very good this year. We’ve not been starting ballgames as good (either). It seems like we get going instead of coming out ready to go and we’ve talked about it a lot.”

Q: Was the last game a particularly disappointing one?

A: “Oh yeah. I never would have guessed we would play that poorly and made the mistakes we made.”

Q: What did you come up with after reviewing tape as to why you played so poorly?

A: “I think each guy has to answer that individually. We had opportunities to catch the ball and score touchdowns and keep it pretty daggone close and we didn’t make the plays and overall we never ran the ball as well as we thought we would. Of course, you’re down two scores in the second half and things change but we should have been able to keep that game closer.”

Q: Has the offense's approach changed with Ben?

A: “Not really. We’re still trying to establish runs for play actions, throw on running downs, mix it up, more so like when Charlie (Batch) was in at the beginning of September. ”

Q: Have injuries along the offensive line affected the play calling, especially since you've had your share of them during games?

A: “You can’t change what your game plan is, you just expect the next guy to step up and play and it gets taxing after awhile when it happens every damn week.”

Q: If you see that backups can’t step up, don’t you have to change the game plan?

A: “If they can’t do something you try not to do that but if they can’t do something then you’re in trouble. If they can’t run block hopefully they can pass block. If they can’t play we’re dead but it’s something that we preach hard, whoever steps in, we won’t change what we’re doing. Now sometimes you get bad matchups, you try to stay out of formations that create those matchups up front if you can.”

Q: Tony Hills played late in the Patriots game. Was Flozell OK?

A: “He had stung his ankle the series before pretty good and he stayed in. We probably should have taken him out then but then Flo came back. Tony he’s done fairly well with the opportunities he’s had.”

Q: What did you think of Ben calling Hines and both deciding that they needed to step up as leaders on offense?

A: “It doesn’t surprise me I think people blow that relationship more into what it really is and things are said in the hest of battle sometimes that nobody really means. I’ve never sensed that there wasn’t a really good relationship there.”

Q: What about them both taking it upon themselves to lead?

A: “That’s what they need to do. They’re the vets, they’re the guys, they’re the ‘A’ players, and I’ve always felt they have done that. I know this. I’ve been here seven years and that’s the best two practices Hines has had in five of them because he hasn’t practiced on Wednesday in a long time. He wanted to prove to everybody that he was healthy. He had two great practices and showed a lot of the younger guys how to do it."

jj28west
11-19-2010, 06:50 AM
So in a nutshell he is basically saying execution is to blame and not scheme. The dropped balls are tough to argue but it will always be part of the game unfortunately. Then he points out the inneffective running which I get the vibe falls ont he RB for failure.

The running back failing could also be the end result of the formation and blocking alignment as well as personnel selection where the opposition (by good film study) has exploited.

What I do like is he lets Ben be Ben which tailers to Ben's strengths. There are some OC egos where this is not allowed.

anger 82&95
11-19-2010, 07:37 AM
Translation: perfect scheme, inadequate players… This guy is a candidate for the Jerry Jones/Al Davis Hubris award.

Oviedo
11-19-2010, 08:43 AM
Translation: perfect scheme, inadequate players… This guy is a candidate for the Jerry Jones/Al Davis Hubris award.

Well it does get down ultimately to execution of the field.

Everyone likes to criticize Arians' formations, etc. But watching last week's game it sure looked to me that the Pats were using the same or very similar formations. How'd that work for them? Same for when we played the Saints!!!!

Mister Pittsburgh
11-19-2010, 08:57 AM
Bottom line is you could call QB sneak up the middle every play of the game, and schematically, the way it is drawn up, it should go to the house every time.

Arians proves what a moron he is every time he speaks.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
11-19-2010, 08:58 AM
Was that Jeff Reed in BA skin?

Blame everything but yourself. What you should have said Phuck Face is, "I'm the OC. It is my job to make this offense go. If I can't make this offense go...Then I need to go."

Then the stampede to hold the door for BA.

Oviedo
11-19-2010, 09:14 AM

Blame everything but yourself. What you should have said Phuck Face is, "I'm the OC. It is my job to make this offense go. If I can't make this offense go...Then I need to go."

Arians does need to go if for no other reason other than we could actually talk about something else on the board. But then we would probably lose about 25% of our posters since they couldn't cut and paste their Arians comments anymore :wink:

Seriously, give us another OC so we can complain about his formations and playcalling too.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
11-19-2010, 09:36 AM

Arians does need to go if for no other reason other than we could actually talk about something else on the board. But then we would probably lose about 25% of our posters since they couldn't cut and paste their Arians comments anymore :wink:

Seriously, give us another OC so we can complain about his formations and playcalling too.
Ain't that the truth!!! :wink: What bothers me the most is when theses problems came to light last year, he had a game or two where it looked corrected. Then he put on his stupid hat again and went right back to Bomb or Bust. Deep down I know he knows how to make the offense more productive. He just doesn't like the "patience" factor when it confronts him in game. His stubborness to continue to push downfield when the defense clearly is taking that way is frustrating. I blame him because he is the OC. If there is someone else to blame (BB), I still blame him because he hasn't corrected it. I just don't think the later is the case because it seems the most productive time is when is calling his own plays.

anger 82&95
11-19-2010, 09:44 AM

I rarely grouse about the OC, but this recent recitation reeks of an inherent lack of flexibility. Without the implementation of some offensive variation, good teams will continue to exploit the predictable nature of the Steeler’s offense.

Chadman
11-19-2010, 09:51 AM
Maybe we read all this differently, but when Arians was talking about missed opportunities in the Red Zone- “Yeah, dropped balls. We haven’t run it very good inside the 10-yard line. We’ve had like first and goal at the seven or eight and we haven’t run the ball for 3 (yards), run the ball for 3 (yards) and gotten it down there where you have two things to do. We’ve thrown it into the end zone and it’s come right back to second and 7. We need to pick that up.” - Chadman thought this was more Arians saying the blame lay between poor execution & poor play calling- the Steelers haven't run/run = short yardage & multiple options- they are instead passing on 1st & 7 & missing- meaning 2nd & 7...harder to execute, less options..

BradshawsHairdresser
11-19-2010, 10:10 AM
My translation of Arians' comments:

"I don't have a clue. I'm going to keep doing things the same way I've been doing them. We change nothing. If the offense isn't effective, it can't be my fault."

I'm now even less optimistic about this team avoiding a slide.

feltdizz
11-19-2010, 10:36 AM
Bottom line is you could call QB sneak up the middle every play of the game, and schematically, the way it is drawn up, it should go to the house every time.

Arians proves what a moron he is every time he speaks.

now that is a moronic analogy...

a QB sneak is supposed to get 1 to 2 yards everytime.

Djfan
11-19-2010, 10:44 AM
This guy is off the chain.

We're not going to adjust for back up players.

We're not going to open up our game more.

We're not going to adjust to use one of the best QBs in the game better.

We're not going to work with guys who struggled, they have to work it out themselves.

We're not going to go to the post season. We're not going to have hope that creativity comes to this offense. We're not going to see any deception line ups.

Please get this clown out of here. No wonder the Faiders have the odds this weekend.

AngryAsian
11-19-2010, 10:49 AM
Q: If you see that backups can’t step up, don’t you have to change the game plan?

A: “If they can’t do something you try not to do that but if they can’t do something then you’re in trouble. If they can’t run block hopefully they can pass block. If they can’t play we’re dead..."

I'm speechless. How about playing to strengths of the players you have in there. I'm sure the game plan would be exactly the same if you were coaching Kevin Kolb as opposed to Michael Vick in as your QB. Incredibly short sighted. It doesn't take a massive braintrust to see, that this inability to be flexible and change your plan of attack mid-game to capitalize on what an opposing defense willing to give you, will inevitably continue to spiral the offense downwards.

CanadianSteel
11-19-2010, 10:52 AM
"Please get this clown out of here"

Could not have said it better myself!!!!

Djfan
11-19-2010, 10:56 AM

A: “If they can’t do something you try not to do that but if they can’t do something then you’re in trouble. If they can’t run block hopefully they can pass block. If they can’t play we’re dead..."

I'm speechless. How about playing to strengths of the players you have in there. I'm sure the game plan would be exactly the same if you were coaching Kevin Kolb as opposed to Michael Vick in as your QB. Incredibly short sighted. It doesn't take a massive braintrust to see, that this inability to be flexible and change your plan of attack mid-game to capitalize on what an opposing defense willing to give you, will inevitably continue to spiral the offense downwards.

I just herad a clip from a Raiders player talking about how they were planning to go long in the pass game agianst us. In other words, they have coaches who look at the weaknesses of the upcoming opponent and try to plan to exploit it. How odd!

(BTW, I think I know why you are "Angry" again AA!)

Oviedo
11-19-2010, 11:10 AM

I just herad a clip from a Raiders player talking about how they were planning to go long in the pass game agianst us. In other words, they have coaches who look at the weaknesses of the upcoming opponent and try to plan to exploit it. How odd!

(BTW, I think I know why you are "Angry" again AA!)

I hope they do go long because we haven't been beaten that way and that will play into our hands. We have been beaten by high percentage, short passes where our pass rush in nullified because the QB gets rid of the ball.

If going long is really what the Raiders coaches think they saw they are incompetent.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
11-19-2010, 11:19 AM
The dropped ball comment is a joke. Droped balls in this situation were minimal through the season. Again, get one in a game you lose and bring it to light. Blame deflection. It gets extremely difficult to pass inside the 10. Agree 100%. But the head scratcher to me is this and I won't look for any credit if BA is reading. :lol:

The intent inside the 10 should be to run twice and guess right on the 1 pass play. I have yet to see this and I would be interested to see how a defense would chose to defend it. Unbalance front. Now Tony Hills started as a TE and we all know he is athletic. You can pick him to play TE or bump out the starting OT and insert Foster inside. Legursky at fullback & Miller at TE. One WR...Ward to Wallace...Take your pick. That would give you:

ADAMS

FOSTER

ESSEX

POUNCEY--- BIG BEN -----LEGURSKY REDMEN

KEMO

SCOTT

----------MILLER

WALLACE

3 Downs. 2 runs and a pass. Defend it.
Pass:
Wallace will be 1-on-1 on the outside. You can take that shot anytime you want...Preferably a slant. Playaction will be a two man pattern with Miller and Wallace. Don't flood the field. You can motion Miller across the formation & back to find the man covering him. You can snap it ealy while Miller is still covered behind the OL and run playaction. Miller could release and his man will get caught up in the playaction and wash.

Run:
Take you pick. This is a left & right handed formation. Can run weak & strong. Straight ahead or counter or trap backside. And for you "wildcat" fellas...Put El under center and run the option lead weakside or EL can make a pass. Inside the 10, need 6 anyway you could get it.

Creativity.cre·a·tiv·i·ty noun \?kr?-(?)?-?ti-v?-t?, ?kr?-?-\
Definition of CREATIVITY
1: the quality of being creative
2: the ability to create

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-19-2010, 11:23 AM
To me, (50/50) is the perfect ratio.

It might be a small thing, but to me this was a very telling line. To me the perfect ratio changes from game to game. For example, if I'm a OC coming to play the Steelers then I am not looking at a 50-50 ratio, I'm probably gameplanning a 2-1 pass-run ratio to take advantages of the D's weaknesses and not falling into their strength.

This sounded more to me that he gameplans a 50-50 regardless and it gets adjusted based on whether we are winning or losing.

As much as we all hate on Billy and the Pats, the thing that make him such a good coach is that he will have an entirely different gameplan for Indy this week than he did for the Steelers last week.

Against the Steelers, Brady had 43 pass attempts and they ran 24 times (including the Brady TD sneak). That was despite having a 20 point lead in the third Q - want to bet that against Indy they run more than 36% of the time? Because that was the "perfect" ratio against the Steelers. There will be another "perfect" ratio against the Colts.

Starlifter
11-19-2010, 11:39 AM
If a team is strong against the run and horrible against the pass - is 50/50 the right call? I would say the patriots and the saints didn't place much value on balance. If a team can't stop the run but is lights out against the pass, is 50/50 a good scheme? If two teams are evenly matched I agree completely that balance is desirable. If however a team has an obvious weakness, not game planning to take advantage and running a certain number of plays in order to achieve balance only serves to allow weak teams to keep a game close. Sound about right for the steelers?

we can't stop the short pass with YAC. the saints and the pats didn't make any pretense about balance. they exploited our weakness. I would say our defense didn't stop the pats at all. The drives they punted were drives they stopped themselves by running a play towards the strength of our run stopping.

If I was tom cable, I'd go with about 80/20 pass to run this sunday.

balance. yeesh. talk about blinders to reality.

eniparadoxgma
11-19-2010, 12:30 PM
One (I think) very telling thing I got from the article is that BA is about as eloquent as a pile of dung. If he calls plays anything like he speaks the English language (which IMO seems to be the case) the Steelers should get some kind of award for employing the mentally handicapped.

Mister Pittsburgh
11-19-2010, 01:17 PM
If we are destined to lose vs. the Raiders, I hope we put up a goose egg on the scoreboard and Mendenhall has 5 yards rushing, and Ben gets sacked 5 times taking 5 step drops.

feltdizz
11-19-2010, 01:31 PM

I agree on playing to our strengths.. but umm... what are our strengths with Hills and Scott?

Run more? which left us in 3rd and longs...
pass more? which lead to sacks and pressure..
move the pocket? and cut off half the field...
run outside?
3 step drops? Who gets separation that quickly? No one...

here is what I saw last game...
Wallace dropped a TD
ARE dropped a TD
Sanders didn't look on a TD
ARE on a fade..TERRIBLE CALL
Pass to Heath in the EZ.. defended well.

Now I'm definitely not a BA basher... but it sure seems like we just aren't willing to admit we have young players who are making mistakes, older players who are slow.. and an OL that is injured AGAIN.

Maybe we need to realize we aren't as good as we thought?

Oviedo
11-19-2010, 01:36 PM

I agree on playing to our strengths.. but umm... what are our strengths with Hills and Scott?

Run more? which left us in 3rd and longs...
pass more? which lead to sacks and pressure..
move the pocket? and cut off half the field...
run outside?
3 step drops? Who gets separation that quickly? No one...

here is what I saw last game...
Wallace dropped a TD
ARE dropped a TD
Sanders didn't look on a TD
ARE on a fade..TERRIBLE CALL
Pass to Heath in the EZ.. defended well.

Now I'm definitely not a BA basher... but it sure seems like we just aren't willing to admit we have young players who are making mistakes, older players who are slow.. and an OL that is injured AGAIN.

Maybe we need to realize we aren't as good as we thought?

"Not being as good as you thought" is typically hard to swallow so that's why you blame the coaches.

The reality is:

1. Our WR corps is definitely not as good as we thought with Hines and ARE both showing they are too slow to get separation and can be single covered. Wallace is still learning.
2. We have no legitimate #2 RB behind Mendenhall.
3. Our OL has had up to three starters (Colon, Kemo and Starks) out which injuries. Our other Guard isn't a Guard but a Tackle and plays poorly. How many other OLs in the NFL can play at a high level in that situation?

feltdizz
11-19-2010, 02:03 PM
agree Ovie.. and it's crazy how the drops don't matter... but if someone said Ben had a terrible game those same people would point out the drops.

blame the players, I know it's hard to do but you CAN blame the players for losses.

hawaiiansteel
11-19-2010, 02:17 PM
I hope we put up a goose egg on the scoreboard and Mendenhall has 5 yards rushing, and Ben gets sacked 5 times taking 5 step drops.

I would prefer the Raiders putting up a goose egg on the scoreboard with Mendy rushing for 205 yards and Ben never getting sacked.

RuthlessBurgher
11-19-2010, 02:42 PM
I hope we put up a goose egg on the scoreboard and Mendenhall has 5 yards rushing, and Ben gets sacked 5 times taking 5 step drops.

I would prefer the Raiders putting up a goose egg on the scoreboard with Mendy rushing for 205 yards and Ben never getting sacked.

:Beer :tt2 :tt1

MeetJoeGreene
11-19-2010, 02:57 PM
Anybody read the most recent copy of Highlights magazine? Even Gallant can't stand Arians.

Gallant: Gee, our team had a bad week, but every team does now an then.. I know they can bounce back.

Goofus: WE SUCK!! BEN SUCKS!! TOMLIN SUCKS!!! ARIANS SUCKS!! WE WILL BE LUCKY TO WIN ONE MORE GAME.

Gallant: Yes, Arians does suck. Good point.

hawaiiansteel
11-19-2010, 03:10 PM
Anybody read the most recent copy of Highlights magazine? Even Gallant can't stand Arians.

Gallant: Gee, our team had a bad week, but every team does now an then.. I know they can bounce back.

Goofus: WE SUCK!! BEN SUCKS!! TOMLIN SUCKS!!! ARIANS SUCKS!! WE WILL BE LUCKY TO WIN ONE MORE GAME.

Gallant is always very fair and level-headed, when even he thinks that Arians sucks then you know it must be true.

http://badblue.com/temp/080805-goofus-and-gallant2.jpg

RuthlessBurgher
11-19-2010, 04:14 PM

Can you find the fullback in "Hidden Pictures?" Bruce Arians can't. :lol:

California-Steel
11-19-2010, 04:54 PM
Q: Have injuries along the offensive line affected the play calling, especially since you've had your share of them during games?

A: “You can’t change what your game plan is, you just expect the next guy to step up and play and it gets taxing after awhile when it happens every damn week.”

A: “If they can’t do something you try not to do that but if they can’t do something then you’re in trouble. If they can’t run block hopefully they can pass block. If they can’t play we’re dead but it’s something that we preach hard, whoever steps in, we won’t change what we’re doing. Now sometimes you get bad matchups, you try to stay out of formations that create those matchups up front if you can.”

That just says it all. we won’t change what we’re doing. So he is basiclly saying that he can always be out coached. Why would anyone make that statement? Why would anyone lock themselves into anything? What an idiot!!! :HeadBanger

MeetJoeGreene
11-19-2010, 07:19 PM

Can you find the fullback in "Hidden Pictures?" Bruce Arians can't. :lol:

Nice!!!

Now we just need something for Ma and Pa Timbertoes.

Crash
11-19-2010, 07:38 PM
Yay lets get a fullback.

Problems solved.

:Blah

RuthlessBurgher
11-19-2010, 08:06 PM
Yay lets get a fullback.

Problems solved.

:Blah

It was a joke.

We were making fun of Highlights for Children.

http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/small/0909/lighten-up-anyone-touches-my-stuff-and-i-ll-kill-you-demotivational-poster-1253664846.jpg

Mister Pittsburgh
11-19-2010, 09:26 PM

I would prefer putting up a goose egg on the scoreboard with Mendy rushing and Ben getting sacked.

Editings cool. :Boobs :roll:

hawaiiansteel
11-19-2010, 09:46 PM
[quote="Mister Pittsburgh":2lujmxay]I hope we put up a goose egg on the scoreboard and Mendenhall has 5 yards rushing, and Ben gets sacked 5 times taking 5 step drops.

I would prefer putting up a goose egg on the scoreboard with Mendy rushing and Ben getting sacked.

you are cool. :Boobs :roll:[/quote:2lujmxay]

yeah, I know...but thanks though! :Boobs :lol:

MeetJoeGreene
11-20-2010, 12:15 AM
From the Boston Wheel of Fortune Tryouts:

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd279/jbitty29/Photoshop%20V2/arianswof.jpg

hawaiiansteel
11-20-2010, 12:31 AM
From the Boston Wheel of Fortune Tryouts:

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd279/jbitty29/Photoshop%20V2/arianswof.jpg

that is hilarious, well done! :Clap