PDA

View Full Version : How big is the raiders game....Really?

Ghost
11-18-2010, 01:25 PM
Curious as to what everyone thinks in terms of the actual importance of this weekís game. Season on the line, must win, should win, not over if a loss occurs, etc?

I think itís big. Iím trying to be realistic about how important it is for the season with 6 games to go after this week.

Donít want to say itís season defining (some may think so) but if Iím being honest, my head will explode and I will be in a foul mood all next week if they lose this one. I really am hoping for a forceful showing where we see the entire team is fired up after being embarrassed last week.

Your thoughts?

costanza2k1
11-18-2010, 01:30 PM
For me, this game is huge. I live right in the middle of Raider nation. With the recent success they've had they all feel like they're won at least 1 SB during the season already. The Raiders fans are the most annoying fans I've ever seen and just plain jacka$$es. I/WE need this victory!

Oviedo
11-18-2010, 01:35 PM
It is a huge game with the Ravens and Jets still ahead of us. Lose this one (or any of the other games we should win) and you could cost yourself a spot in the playoffs.

NW Steeler
11-18-2010, 02:09 PM
HUGE.

As others have said, I think our season hinges on this game. We need to beat the Raiders PHYSICALLY, then steamroll the Bills before heading into the rematch with the Ratbirds. We just had our asses handed to us and we need to respond with AUTHORITY!

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
11-18-2010, 02:13 PM
BIG!!!

HUGE!!!

GIGANTIC!!!

It is a response game just like the Saints did to us after their Browns loss and the Pats did to us after their Browns loss. If the Steelers can't respond........

papillon
11-18-2010, 04:03 PM
The season isn't over by any stretch if they happen to lose the game. The Steelers were in the playoff hunt right up to the end last year after losing 5 straight in the second half of the season.

It will however give some insight into just how good or bad this football team is this year. Injuries are piling up, the Jeff Reed move is baffling, the offense has struggled with Ben back, the defense is good for three quarters again (except last week when they sucked from beginning to end) and the special teams seem to be the brightest unit (and that isn't saying much) right now.

A win even by the narrowest of margins or by holding on for dear life will seem like a loss. A convincing win will give the team momentum and the fan base will re-energize. A loss and the team will probably begin to question what went wrong and hit another skid and the fan base will become an angry mob.

I'd say it's a pretty big game; I'm glad it's at Heinz and I hope the Steelers only need Suisham for extra points.

Pappy

SteelCzar76
11-18-2010, 04:27 PM
It's big if win it,...enormous if we lose it.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
11-18-2010, 04:57 PM
From a Playoff Standpoint...

I know none of us want to through the "we need _______ to win, we need ______ to loose" weeks 16 & 17. So let me put some fuel on the fire and get it going here.

It's early? Not really...A loss to the Raiders take our fate out of our hands...Already. If we lose to the Raiders, we will have to beat the Ravens and hope someone else beats them. That would mean at minimum, the have to drop 2 out of 7 for us to win the division. And did I mention that would be with us winning out? This season isn't young anymore, these AFC games are Huge....And the AFC North games are Gigantic. That scenario isn't likely. It will be hard to keep pace with the Ravens.

Ravens:
@ CAR
TB
PIT
@ HOU
NO
@ CLE
CIN

Steelers:
OAK
@ BUF
@ BAL
CIN
NYJ
CAR
@ CLE

From a team standpoint...
They need to respond. The coaches need to respond. This is a verteran group to the core. If they don't respond...The Doubt sets in. Having a West Coast team travel across the country for a 1:00 game...Coming off the most embarrasing prime time loss the team has seen under the new coach...And you suffer another loss? They lost to a good football team. We are playing a good football team. But good football teams respond after you get knocked on your a$$ they way they did. If they don't, you can start making plans for the post season because it will be very difficult for the Steelers to gain an invite.

As far as the score, this isn't the Raiders of the last couple years. This is a team finding themselves, gaining confidence, and learning how to win. A win is a win in this case...The margin doesn't matter. But you would like to see their execution seperate themselves from the Raiders.

SteelAbility
11-18-2010, 05:01 PM
HUGE. Plain and simple. On many levels ...

1. Team Confidence.
2. Better chance of 1st round bye (considering that we're behind NE now effectively by 2 games this is absolutely huge. If the Jets win the AFCE, and it appears there is a decent chance of that, and we win the AFCN, that is our ticket ahead of NE, overcoming the 2 game deficit. HUGE.
3. Avoiding a "team slide" mentality.

I would go so far as to say it is important we not only win, but get a dominating win.

SidSmythe
11-18-2010, 05:38 PM
if we can't beat the Raiders after what happened last week, then our worst fears have been solidified. Can we still be a wild card team?? Maybe, cuz of tiebreakers w/ the Titans & Dolphins, but then the JETS game becomes a must win!!

we lose to the Jets, we will only have a chance at the #6 seed (except the Ravens absolutely fall apart)

LordVile
11-18-2010, 07:00 PM
alotta good logic from some veteran members of this board.. I agree with it all especially since I live in california and most of my family are loser Raider fans and all the bums, thugs, and hoochi mama's around here are also Raider fans. The past 2 years I couldn't say to much with them winning us, so for me, I consider it a MUST. Don't feel like hearing all these low lifes rubbing it in my face out here. GO STEELERS.. let's FUC*** do this :Beer

This fine honey, thinks I'm cute but won't date me cuz I ain't a Raider fan. She says it's a NO NO to be a STEELERS fan, not even for this sexy beast would I sell out. She'd look awfully nice in the Black and Gold..

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/191/68023161092203912023100.jpg (http://img84.imageshack.us/i/68023161092203912023100.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

Crash
11-18-2010, 07:13 PM
With 2 losses at home? Every home game is big now.

ColumbusSteelerFan
11-18-2010, 07:18 PM
My wife's uncle is a big Raiders fan. If the Steelers lose, I know I'm gonna hear it all during Thanksgiving. :HeadBanger

NorthCoast
11-18-2010, 08:00 PM
Could come down to a field goal by our new kicker.....hope he tightens his ballstrap and knocks home a good one. I haven't counted it yet, but I think more than a dozen games this season have been decided by a field goal or less. And a more than a few occurred on the last play of the game.

getting a squishy feeling in my bowels about Shuisam having to kick a game-winner.

Flasteel
11-18-2010, 09:24 PM
The season isn't over by any stretch if they happen to lose the game. The Steelers were in the playoff hunt right up to the end last year after losing 5 straight in the second half of the season.

It will however give some insight into just how good or bad this football team is this year. Injuries are piling up, the Jeff Reed move is baffling, the offense has struggled with Ben back, the defense is good for three quarters again (except last week when they sucked from beginning to end) and the special teams seem to be the brightest unit (and that isn't saying much) right now.

A win even by the narrowest of margins or by holding on for dear life will seem like a loss. A convincing win will give the team momentum and the fan base will re-energize. A loss and the team will probably begin to question what went wrong and hit another skid and the fan base will become an angry mob.

I'd say it's a pretty big game; I'm glad it's at Heinz and I hope the Steelers only need Suisham for extra points.

Pappy

Well put Pap. My sentiments exactly.

AkronSteel
11-18-2010, 10:48 PM
This game is huge!! We will all find out if this team will respond or will crumble like last year! I'm very interested to see how the team responds to the first real adversity of the year. They had their heads handed to them last week in front of the entire country and they need to show that they are the elite bunch that we all think they are. The Raiders are a decent team but there is no way they should come into the Burgh with Jason Campbell and even compete with the Steelers.

On a side note....if the playoffs started today the Steelers would be playing their first game in Oakland.....Interesting, Very Interesting!!!

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-19-2010, 10:25 AM
This game is big for many reasons, but IMO this is the most important....

Any team can face adversity such as losing an embarassing game. The true show of character is how you respond in the face of that adversity. Last year's team showed that it did not have the character to succeed and we missed the playoffs.

This week we face an up and coming but beatable team, but we should be well within our ability to win. Three weeks ago everyone was afraid of New Orleans as they were coming off humiliation. Last week many were afraid after New England was coming off the same result to the same team. Are losses to Cleveland the only thing to power up a team? Why should teams not fear coming to Pittsburgh after they get beaten down? After last year I would think that the fear factor is not there. Let us restore it this week.

steelblood
11-19-2010, 12:00 PM
It is big for this team's confidence. But, it is just another AFC game in the standings. Beating Cinci, CLE, and Balt are the big games. If we beat them all, we'll get 2 more wins (Car and Buf) and finish 11-5 and make the playoffs with a great shot at the division as well.

hawaiiansteel
11-19-2010, 03:57 PM
of course you think the Raiders will win Florio, you are a friggen Ravens fan... :ratsuck

For first time all season, all Raiders practice

Posted by Mike Florio on November 19, 2010, 2:37 PM EST

The Oakland Raiders emerge from their bye week healthier than theyíve been all season.

According to Jerry McDonald of InsideBayArea.com, all 53 members of the roster practiced on Friday, for the first time all season. That includes receiver Chaz Schilens, who has missed every game with a knee injury.

Per McDonald, Schilens wonít play against the Steelers on Sunday, and he likely wonít play next weekend when the Dolphins come to town.

Practicing on a limited basis were tight end Zach Miller (arch), cornerback Nnamdi Asomougha (ankle), and defensive tackle John Henderson (stress fracture). The Raiders need Asomugha, who could help neutralize speedy Steelers wideout Mike Wallace.

The 5-4 Raiders face the 6-3 Steelers on Sunday. If the Raiders win, the Steelers could be in grave danger (is there another kind?) of missing the playoffs for the second straight season.

Rosenthal thinks the Raiders will lose. I donít.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -practice/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/19/for-first-time-all-season-all-raiders-practice/)