PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' veteran leaders Roethlisberger, Ward take charge

fordfixer
11-18-2010, 02:51 AM
Steelers' veteran leaders Roethlisberger, Ward take charge
By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, November 18, 2010
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 09849.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_709849.html)

Ben Roethlisberger called Hines Ward on Tuesday to see how the concussed wide receiver was doing.

The Steelers' offense, which ranks 24th in the NFL and has struggled inside the red zone, may start feeling better as a result of their conversation.

"He actually brought up, 'Listen, lead us, show us how to do this,'" Roethlisberger said. "I said, 'Well, listen, it's us. Let's do this together. I need you as much as you need me, and we all need this together.' It was a good talk between us."

The joint decision to reassert themselves as the leaders of the offense the two served as offensive co-captains in 2008-09 comes at a critical juncture for the Steelers.

They are coming off the worst home loss of the Mike Tomlin era.

Another loss Sunday to the visiting Oakland Raiders might heighten anxieties because the Steelers are just a season removed from dropping five games in a row, including one to Oakland, after a 6-2 start.

"It's time to have a sense of urgency," said Ward, who practiced yesterday and said he has experienced no lingering effects from the concussion sustained last Sunday against the New England Patriots. "I told (Roethlisberger), 'Captain or not captain, you're a leader of this team.' We've all got to come together as a group and get this thing back going so what happened last year doesn't happen again."

Tomlin reinforced the Steelers' need to have a sense of urgency by having them practice in full pads.

The Steelers rarely do that on Wednesdays during the season, and Tomlin sent a text message to veteran free safety Ryan Clark prior to yesterday about the change in routine.

"I told him I already knew," Clark said. "It's not a punishment. We understand what's going on. You can't have a game where you feel like you don't win physically, defensively and offensively, and not put the pads on and address it.

"Nobody in here's upset. Nobody in here feels it's unwarranted. We know we need this work."

Roethlisberger said he plans on becoming more of a vocal leader. He said in the past his style was to pull individual players aside to talk to them. That, he strongly hinted, will change after his conversation with Ward.

"We both kind of said, 'It's time for us as veteran guys, leaders that have been around here for a while and played postseason ball to lead these guys that have only done it once or twice or never. We have to show them how to do this,'" Roethlisberger said. "I think that's the re-focus that he and I have, that we can hopefully show other people by it."

LordVile
11-18-2010, 04:40 AM
good.. now "GIT HER DONE" :Steel

SteelCrazy
11-18-2010, 06:40 AM
About time. Now let's transfer all that work and motivation to the field on Sunday. Give the Defense a pep talk too...

Djfan
11-18-2010, 10:34 AM
Strange that he would have to be told to step up.

msp26505
11-18-2010, 11:44 AM
Leaders just lead. They don't need to have a phone conversation to do it.

This team lacks an emotional leader.

As was mentioned in another thread, I hate Tom Brady, but would LOVE to see Ben get that upset when things don't go well.

feltdizz
11-18-2010, 11:49 AM
so ummmm.... these guys really had to talk about this?

feltdizz
11-18-2010, 11:50 AM

As was mentioned in another thread, I hate Tom Brady, but would LOVE to see Ben get that upset when things don't go well.

that doesn't mean Ben has to look like a bit## while doing it... but some emotion and frustration when things go wrong would be nice.

CanadianSteel
11-18-2010, 12:00 PM
Good news, still miss Porter :(

Ghost
11-18-2010, 12:13 PM
Great story..... but unless the Steelers put a beat down on Oakland and Buffalo then this reeks of "unleash hell".

msp26505
11-18-2010, 12:20 PM

that doesn't mean Ben has to look like a bit## while doing it... but some emotion and frustration when things go wrong would be nice.

Absolutely.

But a lot of people hated the way Porter acted too (albeit in a different way), and his leadership was pretty evident.

drprwnap
11-18-2010, 12:36 PM
Why all the negative comments on the phone call?? Don't you think Ben is aware of the perception that he and Ward don't get along? What about all the comments that Ward made when Ben had his concussion??? With all that's gone on between them (real or rumor), I think it's a good thing that Ben reached out.

BradshawsHairdresser
11-18-2010, 12:44 PM
If Ben is serious about asserting himself as a leader of this team, he needs to arrange a meeting with BA and kick his a$$$$.

Mister Pittsburgh
11-18-2010, 12:55 PM
Kind of tough for Ben to come in and start verbally being a leader and calling people out on their F ups, when he is entering the season coming off a motorcycle accident where he let the team down, when he is coming off an offseason of chicks claiming he raped them, even if they were BS claims. And also, I don't think the Steelers have helped the guy out much when they are too afraid to really hand the reigns to the offense over to him. Brady and Manning run the show, bottom line, hands down. They have more power than the coach. Here in Steeler land, eveyone has to be equal and the emblem is the star and all that other happy horse shizznit.

I wanna see Ben flip Arians the bird before the first snap and audible to shotgun, and take the team down the field for a TD.

siss
11-18-2010, 01:44 PM
Kind of tough for Ben to come in and start verbally being a leader and calling people out on their F ups, when he is entering the season coming off a motorcycle accident where he let the team down, when he is coming off an offseason of chicks claiming he raped them, even if they were BS claims. And also, I don't think the Steelers have helped the guy out much when they are too afraid to really hand the reigns to the offense over to him. Brady and Manning run the show, bottom line, hands down. They have more power than the coach. Here in Steeler land, eveyone has to be equal and the emblem is the star and all that other happy horse shizznit.

I wanna see Ben flip Arians the bird before the first snap and audible to shotgun, and take the team down the field for a TD.
Ben doesn't have the clout he once had. Yea he's still our two time super bowl winner. But his teammates, his coaches and the NFL told him thats not what they wanted from him. They want him to be just once of the guys and thats exactly what he has done.

Mister Pittsburgh
11-18-2010, 01:52 PM
Yeah. My opinion here only, but I wouldn't mind it one bit if he took control.....Do what he is paid to do, run the Steelers offense. Bruce Arians makes what, a million a year or less. What does Ben get paid per year? I think Ben would be within his rights to tell Arians to shove a play up his butt, audible to shotgun, and do his thing. He might have to deal with it if he fails in doing his thing though, but that is what leaders do.

feltdizz
11-18-2010, 02:05 PM
Yeah. My opinion here only, but I wouldn't mind it one bit if he took control.....Do what he is paid to do, run the Steelers offense. Bruce Arians makes what, a million a year or less. What does Ben get paid per year? I think Ben would be within his rights to tell Arians to shove a play up his butt, audible to shotgun, and do his thing. He might have to deal with it if he fails in doing his thing though, but that is what leaders do.

You really think Ben doesn't have control? Ben can do whatever he wants in this offense and he wouldn't get yelled at.

The problem is fans think Ben can do no wrong on the field. Every good play is his... every bad play is BA's. We have no idea when Ben is audibling or calling his own plays.

Fans need to get a grip and stop acting like Ben only calls good plays and only throws TD's and perfect passes.

Crash
11-18-2010, 05:20 PM
Ben can do whatever he wants in this offense and he wouldn't get yelled at.

Anyone who actually follows this team by watching their games? Can't possibly believe this ridiculous notion.

Crash
11-18-2010, 05:27 PM
Ben obviously has complete control. Hence the use of Spaeth and Johnson and no use of three wide and the no huddle.

NorthCoast
11-18-2010, 07:40 PM
If you believe the media, a while back an article said that Ben calls about 40% of the plays himself.

Of course, that begs the question which ones he is calling, the 'good' ones or the 'bad' ones. I never played the game but sometimes I wonder if the O is struggling and Ben can't seem to make it go, then he gets no help from dunderhead BA because BA is generally clueless when his half dozen plays don't work.

Crash
11-18-2010, 07:52 PM
Ben calls the majority of plays when they go no huddle.

Outside of that? Arians calls them unless Ben audibles.

Shoe
11-18-2010, 11:08 PM
But a lot of people hated the way Porter acted too (albeit in a different way), and his leadership was pretty evident.

We got our asses kicked by the Patriots* when Porter was on our team too. Minus this game, we are a 6-2 team. The fact is that this team has owned us over the years, with a very specific playbook (passing early/often/all day = almost 3/1 PASS/run ratio)... and for whatever reason, the coaching staff has chosen not to make an adjustment.

Djfan
11-18-2010, 11:13 PM

We got our asses kicked by the Patriots* when Porter was on our team too. Minus this game, we are a 6-2 team. The fact is that this team has owned us over the years, with a very specific playbook (passing early/often/all day = almost 3/1 PASS/run ratio)... and for whatever reason, the coaching staff has chosen not to make an adjustment.

This truth kills me. What is up with that leadership?

NJ-STEELER
11-19-2010, 01:42 AM
wow,things must really be serious

hines actually practiced on a wednesday

feltdizz
11-19-2010, 03:56 PM

Anyone who actually follows this team by watching their games? Can't possibly believe this ridiculous notion.

when has Ben taken heat for his play on the field? When have you seen BA, Tomlin or any coach chew out Ben on the sideline?

Ben is paid $100 million dollars and you still try to make it seem like his hands are tied.

Freaking clueless.. when will Ben not be a victim? I almost forgot.. Crash sees sh!t no one else does...

Crash
11-19-2010, 04:31 PM

when has Ben taken heat for his play on the field? When have you seen BA, Tomlin or any coach chew out Ben on the sideline?

Ben is paid $100 million dollars and you still try to make it seem like his hands are tied.

Freaking clueless.. when will Ben not be a victim? I almost forgot.. Crash sees sh!t no one else does...

So you believe that we don't use 3 wide enough, nor the no huddle enough, by BEN'S choosing?

Yes or no?

feltdizz
11-19-2010, 04:46 PM

So you believe that we don't use 3 wide enough, nor the no huddle enough, by BEN'S choosing?

Yes or no?

Yep...

If Ben wanted 3 wide and no huddle he could do it. He wanted a big WR and we drafted one. He likes BA and we kept him :wink:

I don't understand how you can suggest a $100 million dollar QB with 2 SB rings is being handcuffed. Off the field? yeah.. but on the field Ben can change plays in a heart beat and he does. The real problem is fans only giving Ben credit for the good plays and have the nerve to think he never audibles to a play that doesn't work.

Crash
11-19-2010, 05:06 PM
I don't understand how you can suggest a $100 million dollar QB with 2 SB rings is being handcuffed.

I would bet any amount you'd want that if you asked Ben OFF THE RECORD, what he would prefer, he would say three wide as a base offense and stop wasting time with Spaeth and Johnson.

Ben wanted Plax to be signed.

Was he? No.

Ben wanted Faneca signed.

Was he? No.

So much for Ben having control.

Input is not control.

Mister Pittsburgh
11-19-2010, 09:55 PM

I totally agree with Crash here. The Steelers have never fully handed the reigns to the team over to Ben. Any time we are down and we go shotgun 3 wide we move the ball with ease. Last year sometimes it was even on the first drive or two, and then we went to the 50/50 and that is when we would sputter.

Green Bay game last year was all passing all the time and we dropped a lot of points on a decent defense.

Against the Ravens any time we spread it out we move the ball.

Steelers need to get rid of Arians, and get a real OC in here for people to open their eyes. We went from Whiz, handcuffing a young Ben, to Ben getting an OC that tries to be his buddy so they get along and Ben loves him. The absolute best option for this team right now is to have Ben in shotgun nearly full time with Mendenhall as his sidecar, 3 wide, and one TE. From this formation you can still run it, you can pass to the back out of the backfield, and your WR run shorter, higher percentage routes. Anyone here gonna tell me Wallace couldn't run a CB off with ease and stop and catch a comeback? Anyone seriously going to say Heath can't catch over the middle on shorter passes? Anyone wanna bet Manny Sanders couldn't develop into a Holmes type role and turn an 8 yard slant into a TD with one missed tackle?

That is the offense we should be running and any freaking moron can see it. EASIEST way to help a struggling offense with a horrible offensive line is to have the QB in shotgun from the get-go, reading the defense and seeing where the blitz is coming from and where the line is collapsing from the snap. What makes more sense? Lets say the line can hold a pocket for a max of 5 seconds before someone is breaking through and getting ready to hit your QB.....make more sense to use 2 of those seconds with your QB taking the snap from under center, faking a handoff, and then getting 2 or 3 seconds to survey the situation before getting killed, or having all 5 seconds to do that?

Due to so many high profile defensive players and our franchise QB, plus our highly paid WR in Hines, our line has taken a backseat so it is totally not up to snuff at all. Gotta change the gameplan Bruce! Gotta evolve from that crap offense that has gotten you canned on all your other stops.

NJ-STEELER
11-20-2010, 05:28 AM

Yes or no?

Yep...

He wanted a big WR and we drafted one.

didn't he say that the first year plax left? 3 years later they draft sweed in the 2nd round and thats 'getting what he wants' ??

wow

msp26505
11-20-2010, 07:54 AM

That wasn't really my point.

My point was that when there was a grave injustice, Porter was the one to speak up.

Right now in Steeler land, the silence is deafening while Goodell goes on his witch hunt.