PDA

View Full Version : The Bruce Arians question

fordfixer
11-17-2010, 02:11 AM
The Bruce Arians question
November 16th, 2010
http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the- ... ox+Blog%29 (http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2010/11/16/the-bruce-arians-question/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+triblive%2Fblog%2FViewFromThe PressBox+%28View+from+the+Press+Box+Blog%29)

I received my share of emails Tuesday expressing two different but somewhat related sentiments.

They were either Bruce Arians should be next after the Steelers gave the boot to Jeff Reed or the Steelers gave the wrong guy the boot.

The anti-Arians sentiment seems to be running even higher than usual, which is saying something.

And it is not surprising considering the Steelers are 24th in the NFL in total offense (313.6 yards per game) and have scored just 11 touchdowns the 27 times they have been in the red zone this season.

I may be a lone voice in the wilderness here but I donít understand all of the criticism directed at Arians, especially after a game in which the defense let Tom Brady and his no-name receivers conduct a passing clinic at Heinz Field.

Did Arians coach his best game against the Patriots? No.

But he didnít get a lot of help either.

Ben Roethlisberger struggled with his accuracy before throwing for 250 of his 387 yards in the fourth quarter. On the drive that resulted in Jeff Reedís last field goal as a Steeler, Mike Wallace and Antwaan Randle El each dropped passes that should have been caught for touchdowns.

Arians is prone to outthinking himself as well as bouts of predictability but so are most offensive coordinators.

And the next offensive coordinator I see that has cracked the code of play calling will be the first one.

I realize Arians' position lends itself to second guessing and I wanted to hear from readers that think the Steelers have the wrong guy calling plays -- as well as those that think Arians gets too much of the blame for the offenseís shortcomings.

LordVile
11-17-2010, 02:46 AM
Arians is too predictable... so i give him 1/2 credit and the other half on the offensive execution. Everyone knows what he's usually going to do as has been said before.

Crash
11-17-2010, 03:02 AM
The play-calls themselves are only half the problem. The #1 problem is the plays that are called because of the formations they have on the field.

I would bet when David Johnson is in the game? 95% of the time its a run play.

You watch Sunday.

Because he got hurt and he lost his streak? Ben's first pass will be to Ward. Just like in Cincy, Ben's first pass was to Miller after he fumbled in New Orleans. Holmes had a rough game in Cincy in 2009? Ben's first pass the next game vs. the Chargers was to Holmes. Ben's always done this, shows his teammates he has confidence in them after mistakes. You pick these things up.

An Arians favorite, is when the Steelers get their first first down between their own 45 and the opponents 45? We are going to the endzone on the next play.

The 1st first down run in the redzone? That's to the right side.

Oviedo
11-17-2010, 09:17 AM
Arians has done a good job transitioning this offense to one that takes advantage of the rules as they currently are in the NFL. I have no issue with no FB, which seems to be a huge issue for many, because most of the top teams in the NFL rarely use a FB outside of short yardage situations. He has done a decent job despite being hamstrung with a mediocre OL, but probably taken this offense as far as he can.

I have absolutely no doubt that if there is a new OC that half way through his first season we will hear the exact same complaints with a different name. A fresh view and new eyes can be beneficial and I hope that we get a good one. Feel the same way about the defense.

Chadman
11-17-2010, 09:37 AM
Arians may not be the greatest playcaller of all time, but he is restricted by personel quite a bit.

The OL during his tenure has been nothing better than inconsistant. This will generally nullify many teams offenses.

He has developed a reasonably nice passing attack, but the running game has tended to suffer. Given that Ben is easily the best player on O, it's not unforgivable that this has developed.

One big gripe for Chadman is this- with his favoured 2 TE set, he has not ever utilised the 2nd TE anywhere near as much as he should have. Could be that Speath isn't up to the task. If that is the case, Arians should have been petitioning Tomlin for a 2nd starting quality TE before now.

Are they predictable? To a degree- yes. But then, we ALL knew the Pats were going to dink & dunk the Steelers, and they executed easily enough. Being predictable isn't always the issue at hand- it's the execution of the play that dictates it's success. And because the OL has never been solid during his tenure- execution has always been an issue.

Oviedo
11-17-2010, 09:48 AM
Arians may not be the greatest playcaller of all time, but he is restricted by personel quite a bit.

The OL during his tenure has been nothing better than inconsistant. This will generally nullify many teams offenses.

He has developed a reasonably nice passing attack, but the running game has tended to suffer. Given that Ben is easily the best player on O, it's not unforgivable that this has developed.

One big gripe for Chadman is this- with his favoured 2 TE set, he has not ever utilised the 2nd TE anywhere near as much as he should have. Could be that Speath isn't up to the task. If that is the case, Arians should have been petitioning Tomlin for a 2nd starting quality TE before now.

Are they predictable? To a degree- yes. But then, we ALL knew the Pats were going to dink & dunk the Steelers, and they executed easily enough. Being predictable isn't always the issue at hand- it's the execution of the play that dictates it's success. And because the OL has never been solid during his tenure- execution has always been an issue.

I agree with your 2nd TE comment. It is my biggest disappointment with Arians. He ;promised alot about using TEs and delivered only half of what he promised. Spaeth came into the league as one of the best receiving TEs in college football. He has great hands and size but we never see the ball going to him as part of a designed play. He has been wasted as a 3rd OT but gain that could be a function of the status of our OL.

Our OL has been a dark shadow over the offense since Arians took over and if we are honest we have to admit we may never know how good Arians' offense could have been because of the OL we have had. That said it is on Arians that he never compensated enough for the OL he ACTUALLY DID HAVE and make the adjustments necessary in what he tried to do.

NorthCoast
11-17-2010, 10:12 AM

I suppose the positive view out of all of this is that we are 5-3 with a very mediocre OL and a declining defense. The worry of course is that we are on the edge of falling off a high cliff from which we won't rebound in time to finish the season. This team has been rocked with injuries this season and it IS a testament that we have been competitive in EVERY game except NE. The urge is to start swapping bodies for younger players but I think that could send a message that the Steelers have given up on the season.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
11-17-2010, 10:14 AM
The predictability comes form personnel coming on the field. It is easy to gameplan for us. When the Steelers have 21 & 12 personnel...It is a base defense with a S in the box and a single S high helping over the top of Wallace. That's it...Easy call. It makes running difficult and if the defense sends the run blitz, the timing of the play action is off. The Steelers show 13 or 22...It is base with 9 defenders around the LOS. In short yardage & goaline, we see goaline D. He isn't fooling anyone with the number of TEs on the field because the defense is in base with run blitzes. If you played on the OL, you know you come out & show run blocking on play action and it makes it difficult to pick up the blitz when you check back. His design is counter productive. And give the D something to think about. RUN OUT OF SHOTGUN WITH 21 & 12 personnel on the field.

BA should take note. The offensive production is more important and he should lobby for an extra body. Carry 8 OL active and bench a ST player. Not his fault the FO made the mistake of signing ST bodies and not having confidence in giving that job to a positional player. The offense would be more productive in unbalanced looks. Tony Hills is a former TE and athletic enough for them to at least have a LB eye him. Give unbalanced fronts in lieu of a 2nd & 3rd TE. It could open up both sides of the line for running plays. Unbalanced fronts really leave backside vulnerabilty to the run and makes him read & play football. It also makes the backside stay disciplined off PA. You can run backside Traps, Counters, Whams, Smash, Ice...More plays than I think is in his playbook. And for God sakes....When the DEs & OLBs come up field on the pass rush...Run a God D A M Shuttle pass to slow them down. Marvel Smith excelled at the club block on the outside guy and got upfield for a LB on the weakside run. Excellent play off an unbalanced look. Set the RB side car away from TE in shotgun, LT clubs DE/OLB and releases him and RB comes in front of BB for the shuttle behind the LT. IF LG gets good block...Big play. Do that a couple times and your LTs job becomes easier in pass pro. DUMMY!

Starlifter
11-17-2010, 10:20 AM
I find the comment the Arians outsmarts himself sometimes to be ludicrous. His personal bar must be much lower than the rest of the league. I can't remember the last time he outsmarted an opponent.

NorthCoast
11-17-2010, 10:26 AM
The predictability comes form personnel coming on the field. It is easy to gameplan for us. When the Steelers have 21 & 12 personnel...It is a base defense with a S in the box and a single S high helping over the top of Wallace. That's it...Easy call. It makes running difficult and if the defense sends the run blitz, the timing of the play action is off. The Steelers show 13 or 22...It is base with 9 defenders around the LOS. In short yardage & goaline, we see goaline D. He isn't fooling anyone with the number of TEs on the field because the defense is in base with run blitzes. If you played on the OL, you know you come out & show run blocking on play action and it makes it difficult to pick up the blitz when you check back. His design is counter productive. And give the D something to think about. RUN OUT OF SHOTGUN WITH 21 & 12 personnel on the field.

BA should take note. The offensive production is more important and he should lobby for an extra body. Carry 8 OL active and bench a ST player. Not his fault the FO made the mistake of signing ST bodies and not having confidence in giving that job to a positional player. The offense would be more productive in unbalanced looks. Tony Hills is a former TE and athletic enough for them to at least have a LB eye him. Give unbalanced fronts in lieu of a 2nd & 3rd TE. It could open up both sides of the line for running plays. Unbalanced fronts really leave backside vulnerabilty to the run and makes him read & play football. It also makes the backside stay disciplined off PA. You can run backside Traps, Counters, Whams, Smash, Ice...More plays than I think is in his playbook. And for God sakes....When the DEs & OLBs come up field on the pass rush...Run a God D A M Shuttle pass to slow them down. Marvel Smith excelled at the club block on the outside guy and got upfield for a LB on the weakside run. Excellent play off an unbalanced look. Set the RB side car away from TE in shotgun, LT clubs DE/OLB and releases him and RB comes in front of BB for the shuttle behind the LT. IF LG gets good block...Big play. Do that a couple times and your LTs job becomes easier in pass pro. DUMMY!

Bruce Arians: "whoa, whoa, whoa. you lost me at the "21 & 12" thing....could we go back over that....?"

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
11-17-2010, 10:34 AM

Bruce Arians: "whoa, whoa, whoa. you lost me at the "21 & 12" thing....could we go back over that....?"
First number indicates RBs & second indicates TEs. It is the personnel identification of players on the field. Tells all. If you add the numbers together and add 6...The difference between that number & 11 is the number of WRs on the field. Example: 21 personnel is 2 Rbs, 1 TE, & 2 WR. 12 personnel is 1 RB, 2 TEs, & 2 WRs.

Next time you watch a game, be a DC. Identify the personnel and call your D. Gives you a different perspective of the game. You will see how easy it is to defend if BA does wise up.

Djfan
11-17-2010, 10:36 AM
Under using personnel

Only one run play

Very few quick pass plays (looking for the 2-3 second pocket approach)

No adjustments for opponent

No adjustments for half time assesments

Can't get the screen play right

No effective power goal line package

VERY predictable

Ugly

hellbanger
11-17-2010, 12:26 PM
Eisenhower and the Allied generals are planning to raid the beaches of france. The Nazis have had months to dig in, Thousands of troops are gathered, armored units, aircraft,Navy. The invasion plans are coming together.

In walks General Arians. "no, no ,no." Arians says. "I have 11 guys that are elite. They will take the beaches of France with my plan." Impossible! the others cried. "No."Arians replied."all they have to do is execute the plan. it will work."

Arians reminds me of a Colonial era general. Your line of men against mine, line up and execute! The other general is using artillery and cavalry and harassing supply lines and Arians is blowing a whistle screaming "just execute, execute"!

Perhaps these professional ahletes could execute alot better if their Coordinator creates a game plan that give our players a chance to succeed, instead of doing the same 'ol, same 'ol.

Im to the point where I don't care if he is or isn't a good OC. I want to see change now.All I see on offense is wasted plays, wasted chances. 3 years is enough. There are far less offensive talaed teams than what the Steelers have, yet they have no problem scoring touchdowns.

ikestops85
11-17-2010, 12:51 PM
An example of the difference between Arians and some of the good OCs in the league. It's not so much that they know we are going to run out of a formation. It's how the play is presented. When we do our typical run Mendy over the right side he is often tackled from behind by the weakside pursuit.

Other teams prevent that by just putting a WR in motion to the left and fake the reverse handoff. That keeps the weakside LBer and safety at home. While that doesn't guarantee the success of the play it gives you more 2nd and 7 instead of 2nd and 10. A big difference in the game.

It was fun watching Mike Mularkey match up against the Ravens last Thursday. Just the little things he did like roll Ryan out only a few steps but just enough to throw off the Ravens pressure. Damn I wish we had him back. He was a master at the misdirection which would help make up for our lack of a stellar offensive line.

SteelTorch
11-17-2010, 03:43 PM
I'm surprised people have yet to mention that as of now, the Patriots are:

29th in total defense
24th in points allowed
30th in passing YPG
27th in def. passer rating
26th in passing YPA
18th in rushing YPG
17th in rushing YPA

So they were bad in pass defense and just mediocre in rush defense, and our offense STILL couldn't do anything against them! I know we scored 26 points, but a lot of those points came in garbage time in the 4th quarter when the Patriots already had the game well in hand.

Maybe THAT's why we should be concerned.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-17-2010, 03:49 PM

Or he should find a new favorite formation that best utilizes the players he has.

Being predictable isn't always the issue at hand- it's the execution of the play that dictates it's success.

Agreed, everyone knew what our O would do in the fourth Q of a game under Cowher....regardless of who our OC was. Run JB behind an excellent line until the clock reached zero.

The only problem we have now is that we have No Cowher, no Bus, and no excellent run blocking line.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
11-17-2010, 03:57 PM
I never claimed to be someone who coached on the NFL level but I do know football. When you give the opposing team a comfort level of chosing personnel in game from tendancies, film study, or down & distance...You really take away from the talent of your players. A good to great OC actually uses his tendacies for strategy against a DC. I don't think I can say I EVER saw BA consistantly do that.

I never been a BA supporter but he does have some solid designs and creativity in his route tree for plays. However, he does seem to lack the ability to adjust or comprehend when the defense dials up to his strategy. He tends to keep forcing the issues because he thinks he will ultimately prevail. On this level, that is a philosophy for self destruction. BA also seems to struggle with run play design & blocking asignments but it looks like Koogs helped in that area. I made some reference to shuttle passes, screens, & unbalanced fronts and I could bet that they are in the playbook....Somewhere. But there is one guy calling the plays and his play selection and thought process in game seems to forget that those plays have a purpose. That purpose, in the end, helps his down field attack and keeps the defenses guessing.

Oviedo
11-17-2010, 04:09 PM
I never claimed to be someone who coached on the NFL level but I do know football. When you give the opposing team a comfort level of chosing personnel in game from tendancies, film study, or down & distance...You really take away from the talent of your players. A good to great OC actually uses his tendacies for strategy against a DC. I don't think I can say I EVER saw BA consistantly do that.

I never been a BA supporter but he does have some solid designs and creativity in his route tree for plays. However, he does seem to lack the ability to adjust or comprehend when the defense dials up to his strategy. He tends to keep forcing the issues because he thinks he will ultimately prevail. On this level, that is a philosophy for self destruction. BA also seems to struggle with run play design & blocking asignments but it looks like Koogs helped in that area. I made some reference to shuttle passes, screens, & unbalanced fronts and I could bet that they are in the playbook....Somewhere. But there is one guy calling the plays and his play selection and thought process in game seems to forget that those plays have a purpose. That purpose, in the end, helps his down field attack and keeps the defenses guessing.

He tends to keep forcing the issues because he thinks he will ultimately prevail

Sounds like you are talking about our defensive coordinator.
:stirpot

pfelix73
11-17-2010, 04:37 PM
LOL- Whams, traps, sweeps, screens, etc. You really think BA knows what these are? Most of their running plays are so 'vanilla'.

It's time for a change at OC. You guys are right, he is too predictable.

:tt1

Djfan
11-17-2010, 04:45 PM
The only problem we have now is that we have No Cowher, no Bus, and no excellent run blocking line.

Then adjust!!!!!

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
11-17-2010, 04:56 PM

He tends to keep forcing the issues because he thinks he will ultimately prevail

Sounds like you are talking about our defensive coordinator.
:stirpot
I wish that was DL issue. Unfortunately he is opposite. :wink: Sitting back and being to passive.

I would rather be sitting here from time to time saying "DL was blitzing way too much. Our guys can't cover man to man. We got 8 sacks...Knocked out their starting QB...But gave up 2 long TDs."

I'll take that! I would rather die by the blitz than die by the dink & dunk. Because (((((IF & WHEN))))) the offense comes around...Give Ben the ball and say get us a head start. When they try to spread us around and score quickly...We will go after them. Knock their deeks in the dirt!!!

The only way to take out the big gun is charge the hill.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
11-17-2010, 05:06 PM
LOL- Whams, traps, sweeps, screens, etc. You really think BA knows what these are? Most of their running plays are so 'vanilla'.

It's time for a change at OC. You guys are right, he is too predictable.

:tt1

His run attack is weak. I wish I had the ability to see a coaches film. I would be willing to bet he has 5 run plays run out of different formations & personnel packages. And two of them are the kneel down and QB sneak! :lol:

Kid
11-17-2010, 05:07 PM
why cant we dink and dunk?

Djfan
11-17-2010, 05:09 PM

Because that is on page three of the play book, and Brucey A. never gets that far into it.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
11-17-2010, 05:22 PM

Good question. We could & we should. But...We can't. BA has high & low designs. Take the top off and dump it off if nothing is there. Effective thinking if you put intermediate routes crossing the field. Even if they are in man under and the LBs are sitting on the TE or RB in the backfield blocking....You send a WR across the field the LBs drop will get deeper to help with the cross. Then the TE or RB who checked before his release now has 4-5 extra yards of space to work with. Game of inches & yards. How many more first downs do the Steelers get if the dump off to Moore, Mendenhall, or Miller went for 6 or 7 instead of 3 or 4. 2nd & 4...Defend that. 2nd & 7...Here comes Arians with a run to get a more MANAGEABLE 3rd down. Handoff to Mendenhall....Stopped in backfield for 2 yard loss. Sound familiar? 2nd and 4, you can take a shot. 3rd & 4 is very MANAGEABLE down. Go 22 personnel & run playaction or throw the Fade to Wallace one-on-one off the snap. Come out in shotgun and run a screen, draw, or attack the deep thirds. Or just buckle your chin strap....Line up....And smash them in the mouth. But...It seems the whole league knows whats coming.

Steel Life
11-17-2010, 11:54 PM
Like our O-Line, Arians only looks competent because of Ben's improvisational skills. Here's hoping Norv Turner is available after the season.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
11-18-2010, 09:14 AM
Like our O-Line, Arians only looks competent because of Ben's improvisational skills. Here's hoping Norv Turner is available after the season.
When our OL was healthy & intact...They were productive. Essex was still a liabilty but you would get enough wins out of him to overcome. I can only imagine what the feelings would have been on the OL if BA offense was able to attack the entire field. He hasn't shown that since BB came back in my opinion.

They should be OK witha healthy Kemo. You can help your OT...I just hope BA is willing to do it. Essex would be the biggest concern because it is hard to do anything on the interior to compensate. I'm hoping for some kind of miracle with Chris Scott. Essex is still in there with a healthy Legursky. So that tells me they like him better and if they haven't gone to Legursky based on lack of production...It won't happen unless there is an injury. C Scott was very good at RG where he started at Tenn. HE moved to LT because of injury but he has very long arms, good punch, naturally strong, and a good anchor. His knock was he might not have the feet for LT and not a great knee bender in pass pro. I personally think he has the ability to challenge if he has the playbook & assignments down. He needs to show it and get noticed in practice. An upgrade in pass pro at RG would be a huge lift. I feel he could handle his own in run blocking. I guess the biggest concern would be his foot.

SteelTorch
11-18-2010, 02:16 PM
When our OL was healthy & intact...They were productive. Essex was still a liabilty but you would get enough wins out of him to overcome. I can only imagine what the feelings would have been on the OL if BA offense was able to attack the entire field. He hasn't shown that since BB came back in my opinion. foot.
Which offensive line have you been watching the past four seasons?

:wft

papillon
11-18-2010, 02:48 PM

Three reasons, IMO

1) Our underneath receivers, Miller, Spaeth, Ward, El, Mendenhall, Moore don't get separation consistently enough. Actually, the WRs in general right now aren't very good with the exception of Wallace who is still learning.

2) Ben has never been a timing type quarterback and probably will never develop into one to any great degree.

3) The Steelers offense isn't patient enough to take what a defense gives it.

Just my 2 cents

Pappy

feltdizz
11-18-2010, 02:50 PM

because we have maybe 1 or 2 players on O who can actually make a defender miss them while gaining yards.

The biggest problem with our O is a lack of shake and bake. All of our players are straight ahead runners.