PDA

View Full Version : Troy or Timmons

Djfan
11-16-2010, 04:33 PM
I thought I heard Troy say that Timmons is taking over Troy's freelance position on the team. If true, is that why he has been so quiet?

Crash
11-16-2010, 04:38 PM
Yep. That's why they need to move Troy to FS next season.

SidSmythe
11-16-2010, 05:22 PM
I really don't think Troy's knee is 100%
He's just not TROY this year. He's still very good, just not exceptional.

Oviedo
11-16-2010, 05:24 PM

I agree. Troy's play the last several weeks has been very pedestrian. He needs to play more structured and freelance less.

Timmons is more valuable right now.

Dee Dub
11-16-2010, 06:04 PM
Two things...

do you guys ever really watch these games? Do you ever record them? Please watch them pre-snap. I think this could come as an enlightenment to some of you.

Put the beer down. Dont be so preoccupied with the path or direction of the ball. Look at the big picture.

And second..Crash why not just use Troy as they have in the past?

If he is being asked to do something different and it is taking away from the strength of the team why not simply just go back to it??

My quess is, Lawrence Timmons will be alright if asked to play a more tradition ILB role.

Dee Dub
11-16-2010, 06:05 PM

I agree. Troy's play the last several weeks has been very pedestrian. He needs to play more structured and freelance less.

Ovi..he is being asked to do something totally against his strength. He is being put in a deep cover 2 shell more times than not. How much can he really do from there?

LouSteel
11-16-2010, 06:20 PM
Ovi..he is being asked to do something totally against his strength. He is being put in a deep cover 2 shell more times than not. How much can he really do from there?

Troy doesn't have the bulk to keep taking on guys at the LOS. That's only going to lead to injuries down the road. But with his speed and reaction, he'd make for a tremendous ball hawk in the Cover 2 -- IF he maintains his responsibilities and stops guessing.

Either way, at Troy's age, and with his injury history, we should be looking at moving him to FS.

Dee Dub
11-16-2010, 06:41 PM

Troy doesn't have the bulk to keep taking on guys at the LOS. That's only going to lead to injuries down the road. But with his speed and reaction, he'd make for a tremendous ball hawk in the Cover 2 -- IF he maintains his responsibilities and stops guessing.

Either way, at Troy's age, and with his injury history, we should be looking at moving him to FS.

They are pretty much using him in that capacity now...question?? How is that working out for the team?

If and when Troy moves to FS they need a better SS than Ryan Clark. Other wise it just isnt going to work.

LouSteel
11-16-2010, 06:47 PM
They are pretty much using him in that capacity now...question?? How is that working out for the team?

If and when Troy moves to FS they need a better SS than Ryan Clark. Other wise it just isnt going to work.

It's hard to say how it would really work out -- if you run Cover 2, the safeties have to keep the play in front of them. I saw several occasions where Troy guessed wrong. It's going to be a bit of a transition for a guy who has been playing up at the line for so long. That's why I said IF we can get Troy to stop guessing and maintain his zone, he will do well :wink:

I definitely agree that we need an upgrade for Clark. He's been pedestrian this year. And that's whether or not we alter Troy's responsibility. How does the safety class look for the upcoming draft?

Crash
11-16-2010, 08:11 PM

He's not freelancing. He IS playing structured now. That is the problem.

fordfixer
11-16-2010, 10:22 PM

He's not freelancing. He IS playing structured now. That is the problem.
:Agree

Oviedo
11-17-2010, 09:30 AM

I understand what he is being asked to do and I agree with it because for a couple of years I argued that Troy taking on 300lb linemen was a losing proposition in every possible way. The reason he is still on the field is that he has been backed off the LOS, they did this to keep him healthy.

The emrgence of Timmons allowed them to "save" Troy and put him back there. Timmons has Troy's skillset in terms of speed and explosion. Choosing Timmons is not an insult to Troy it just represents an change that occurred because a player reached his potential. IMO it would be easier to replace Troy in the role he now plays than Timmons in the role he plays.

Dee Dub
11-17-2010, 12:18 PM

I understand what he is being asked to do and I agree with it because for a couple of years I argued that Troy taking on 300lb linemen was a losing proposition in every possible way. The reason he is still on the field is that he has been backed off the LOS, they did this to keep him healthy.

The emrgence of Timmons allowed them to "save" Troy and put him back there. Timmons has Troy's skillset in terms of speed and explosion. Choosing Timmons is not an insult to Troy it just represents an change that occurred because a player reached his potential. IMO it would be easier to replace Troy in the role he now plays than Timmons in the role he plays.

Last year Troy got hurt not by taking on a 300lb lineman..he got hurt by...

Polamalu was injured when a Titans player fell on him as Steelers defensive end Aaron Smith blocked a 31-yard field goal attempt by Rod Bironas with about three minutes left in the half. Polamalu was attempting to pick up the ball.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4463828

ikestops85
11-17-2010, 12:28 PM

While Timmons might have Troy's skillset in terms of speed and explosion he doesn't have Troy's instinct.

To me that is what sets Troy apart from the others and the reason he should go back to playing the way he has always played.

Dee Dub
11-17-2010, 12:42 PM
While Timmons might have Troy's skillset in terms of speed and explosion he doesn't have Troy's instinct.

Not even close. Troy was clocked at 4.38 in the 40 at his combine. Timmons is fast for a LB but no where near that type of speed.

And that is what allows Troy to go from at or near the LOS and get back in coverage. He is the only player n the game who can do that. And that is what kills opposing QB's. But...the Steelers rarely do that any more.

SteelCzar76
11-17-2010, 03:38 PM
Timmons has Troy's skillset in terms of speed and explosion. IMO it would be easier to replace Troy in the role he now plays than Timmons in the role he plays.

:wft :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nothing personal dude,.. i try to at the very least respect another's opinion whether i like it or not. But,.....really ? :lol: :lol:

Oviedo
11-17-2010, 03:55 PM
Timmons has Troy's skillset in terms of speed and explosion. IMO it would be easier to replace Troy in the role he now plays than Timmons in the role he plays.

Nothing personal dude,.. i try to at the very least respect another's opinion whether i like it or not. But,.....really ? :lol: :lol:

If you don't agree then of course not. Just ignore my previous posts.

Everything OK now?

SteelCzar76
11-17-2010, 04:12 PM
[quote]Timmons has Troy's skillset in terms of speed and explosion. IMO it would be easier to replace Troy in the role he now plays than Timmons in the role he plays.

Everything OK now?[/quote:z4yp2tnm]

I was going to ask you the same thing dude. As of course,.. they don't have a "you've got a fever and are henceforth delirious" smiley available here for you to have posted along with your statement. Soooo,...i wasn't ...sure :lol: :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
11-18-2010, 02:46 PM
[quote]Timmons has Troy's skillset in terms of speed and explosion. IMO it would be easier to replace Troy in the role he now plays than Timmons in the role he plays.

Everything OK now?

I was going to ask you the same thing dude. As of course,.. they don't have a "you've got a fever and are henceforth delirious" smiley available here for you to have posted along with your statement. Soooo,...i wasn't ...sure :lol: :lol:[/quote:2fnaz92m]

I've got a fever...and the only prescription is...

http://blueollie.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/obama_poster_cowbell.gif?w=350&h=437 http://www.wasteddaze.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/cowbell.gif

feltdizz
11-18-2010, 03:00 PM
I remember a story before training camp that had 5 concerns and one was Troy and everyone went ape sh#t because they thought Troy would never be a concern.

I think this was his point... is his knee 100%? Why is he out of position so much this year?

SteelCzar76
11-18-2010, 04:28 PM

Everything OK now?

I was going to ask you the same thing dude. As of course,.. they don't have a "you've got a fever and are henceforth delirious" smiley available here for you to have posted along with your statement. Soooo,...i wasn't ...sure :lol: :lol:

I've got a fever...and the only prescription is...

http://blueollie.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/obama_poster_cowbell.gif?w=350&h=437 http://www.wasteddaze.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/cowbell.gif[/quote:1cvgkww9]

:lol: