PDA

View Full Version : BREAKING- REED CUT/ SUISHAM SIGNED

pfelix73
11-16-2010, 01:02 PM
Per reports on local radio.... He's gone....

:tt1

pfelix73
11-16-2010, 01:02 PM
We will find out here at Tomlin's PC, who is replacing him.....

proudpittsburgher
11-16-2010, 01:04 PM
I heard that they were bring in sean suisham (sp?) for a tryout. I guess he got one of those "Make this 25 yarder from the right hash and you've got the job" kinda tryouts. And he did.

kindlecatsb'ng
11-16-2010, 01:05 PM
The front office is sending out obvious messages this year with the departure of Holmes and Reed--

Talking sports heads say he'll probably end up in Cinci.

Awaiting Mike Tomlin's press conference.

SteelBucks
11-16-2010, 01:05 PM
Steelers cut kicker Reed
Tuesday, November 16, 2010
By Ed Bouchette and Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
The Steelers have released struggling kicker Jeff Reed and are expected to sign former Washington Redskins kicker Shaun Suisham, who worked out for them this morning, the Post-Gazette has learned.

Suisham, who was cut in by the Steelers in training camp in 2005, kicked at Heinz Field in gray conditions under the watchful eye of Coach Mike Tomlin and director of football operations Kevin Colbert.

In parts of four seasons with the Redskins, he converted 81 of 101 field goal attempts, a conversion percentage of 80.1 percent. In 12 games last season, Suisham made 18 of 21 field goals (85.7 percent).

Suisham also kicked for the Dallas Cowboys after being cut by the Steelers.

Read more: http://post-gazette.com/pg/10320/110374 ... z15Sx67h16 (http://post-gazette.com/pg/10320/1103742-66.stm#ixzz15Sx67h16)

pfelix73
11-16-2010, 01:06 PM
They brought in 4 kickers...... Matt Stover is one, so is Petr Czech from training camp.

pfelix73
11-16-2010, 01:07 PM
New kicker is:

Shaun Swisham.

proudpittsburgher
11-16-2010, 01:15 PM
I'm wondering if he was told last night . . . was listening to DVE this morning and they said he wasn't at Charlie Batch's event last night . . . and he apparently is always there.

RuthlessBurgher
11-16-2010, 01:16 PM
Shaun Suisham sucks. He's the kicker equivalent of having to put up with the likes of Paul Ernster and Mitch Berger for a year. This is bad news.

proudpittsburgher
11-16-2010, 01:17 PM
They brought in 4 kickers...... Matt Stover is one, so is Petr Czech from training camp.

Just had a text from a buddy who said Tomlin just announced they only brought in Suisham

Ghost
11-16-2010, 01:18 PM
Jeff Reed was an important part of the Steelers for many years. Up until this year I loved never feeling even a touch of doubt when he walked out to take care of business.

It's a bit sad it ended this way but sometime you have to change (the team and even the cut player benefit).

Reed - thanks for some great kicking over the years!

PSU_dropout43
11-16-2010, 01:18 PM
Cut tomlin.

feltdizz
11-16-2010, 01:20 PM
Thank you Reed for the last few years...just not this year. You picked a bad year to slump.
Spend more time practicing and less time in baby bibs.

I don't think we would have cut Reed if he didn't say he has been complaining about the field for 9 years... he needed to humble himself and he couldn't.

proudpittsburgher
11-16-2010, 01:21 PM
Jeff Reed was an important part of the Steelers for many years. Up until this year I loved never feeling even a touch of doubt when he walked out to take care of business.

It's a bit sad it ended this way but sometime you have to change (the team and even the cut player benefit).

Reed - thanks for some great kicking over the years!

I have to agree with you, he was money up until last season against Chicago, then it was anyone's guess. I do appreciate what he did for this team, enough that I was willing to overlook his many weaknessses both on and off the field. But once you stop making the field goals, it's over.

pfelix73
11-16-2010, 01:22 PM

Just had a text from a buddy who said Tomlin just announced they only brought in Suisham

I heard that too. The report regarding the 4 kickers came from The Fan's website. Guess they were wrong.

All I know is that when I get estimates for a job, etc. I try to get 3. Wouldn't it make sense to try out multiple kickers and then take the best one? Sounds like they rushed into a judgment here... Hope it works out.

RuthlessBurgher
11-16-2010, 01:27 PM
In the past 3 seasons before this one, Jeff Reed was 77 out of 87 on FG's and 121 out of 122 on PAT's.

In the past 3 seasons before this one, Shaun Suisham was 75 out of 95 on FG's and 74 out of 76 on PAT's.

I'm no math whiz, but that looks like twice as many misses to me.

Also, Jeff Reed's career kickoff depth is 61.5 yards. Suisham's is 60.8 yards. He actually has a worse kickoff leg than Reed too. Ugh...

feltdizz
11-16-2010, 01:31 PM

I heard that too. The report regarding the 4 kickers came from The Fan's website. Guess they were wrong.

All I know is that when I get estimates for a job, etc. I try to get 3. Wouldn't it make sense to try out multiple kickers and then take the best one? Sounds like they rushed into a judgment here... Hope it works out.

I think they did a Holmes 2.0 with Reed. you can't talk recklessly about the organization.

feltdizz
11-16-2010, 01:33 PM
In the past 3 seasons before this one, Jeff Reed was 77 out of 87 on FG's and 121 out of 122 on PAT's.

In the past 3 seasons before this one, Shaun Suisham was 75 out of 95 on FG's and 74 out of 76 on PAT's.

Also, Jeff Reed's career kickoff depth is 61.5 yards. Suisham's is 60.8 yards. He actually has a worse kickoff leg than Reed too. Ugh...

I don't care... I would rather have a kicker who I know is a liability and game plan for it instead of hearing these excuses from Reed.

We know what to expect from the new guy.. not much. But we expected Reed to kick like Reed has always kicked and he is woeful and he is making excuses and blaming the media and organization for it. That isn't the kind of guy we need in the locker room IMO.

pfelix73
11-16-2010, 01:39 PM
I agree. I would bet that Rooney didn't like the talk coming from his mouth and told them to dump him ASAP.

Leper Friend
11-16-2010, 01:40 PM

I don't care... I would rather have a kicker who I know is a liability and game plan for it instead of hearing these excuses from Reed.

We know what to expect from the new guy.. not much. But we expected Reed to kick like Reed has always kicked and he is woeful and he is making excuses and blaming the media and organization for it. That isn't the kind of guy we need in the locker room IMO.
Plus , I don't think there is a huge difference in talent between any kickers at this level. They all can kick. It comes down to the mental game.Reed's misses seem to have been messing with his head.You can see he has no confidence.

Retired Marine
11-16-2010, 01:44 PM
This is not about kicking a football. This is a message being sent to the players about their porformance Sunday Night. Sure Jeff might have mouth off (so what), he's grown (some times). This is a message to the players; "Keep up that kind of performance, and your next".

proudpittsburgher
11-16-2010, 01:44 PM

Plus , I don't think there is a huge difference in talent between any kickers at this level. They all can kick. It comes down to the mental game.Reed's misses seem to have been messing with his head.You can see he has no confidence.

I agree with you to a degree, but I somehow saw a marked difference between Reed's level of confidence and say, Kris Brown's. KrissMiss was totally a head case, Reed still looked confident. But, you pretty much have to chalk it up to a confidence thing . . . he was absolute money until a year ago.

snarky
11-16-2010, 01:54 PM
After Sunday's performance, this is sort of like rearranging deck chairs on the titanic.

Not saying that we are a sinking ship but there are about 50 things in front of Jeff Reed that we need to be worried about -- and I don't think this will be much of an upgrade for us.

steelblood
11-16-2010, 01:59 PM
What's with all the towel waiving? This won't improve our team. Sep better be kicking off this week.

BradshawsHairdresser
11-16-2010, 02:02 PM
After Sunday's performance, this is sort of like rearranging deck chairs on the titanic.

Not saying that we are a sinking ship but there are about 50 things in front of Jeff Reed that we need to be worried about -- and I don't think this will be much of an upgrade for us.

$$$$

I doubt Suisham kicks into the end zone any more than Reed did, and I'm skeptical that he will be any kind of improvement on FG's.

To me, this looks like Tomlin's equivalent of last year's promise to "unleash hell."

Kid
11-16-2010, 02:03 PM
This is not about kicking a football. This is a message being sent to the players about their porformance Sunday Night. Sure Jeff might have mouth off (so what), he's grown (some times). This is a message to the players; "Keep up that kind of performance, and your next".

I would have to strongly disagree. This team has numerous players that have played poorly but still are on the team and starting. our oline, wrs and dbs all suck and non of them have been removed.

costanza2k1
11-16-2010, 02:03 PM
While this move may not improve our team it certainly won't make it worse. You just can't bad mouth the team, ask for more money, be in the public eye a couple of times, while you're just only a kicker...odds are we'll probably end up regretting this more and cutting Sushi too before the season ends...time will tell I guess.

JAR
11-16-2010, 02:08 PM

You only have one kicker, it's not like you can bench him for another guy to send a message..... There is only on way to make a move with a kicker, give him the boot.

ANPSTEEL
11-16-2010, 02:09 PM
They exchanged one ****ty kicker for another ****ty kicker.

Vanderjagt or suisham or whatever... is no better.

He may, however, have a better attitude... and maybe actually be able to get the ball into the endzone on kick offs. Towel dispensers and car tires are all breathing easier today.

steelblood
11-16-2010, 02:13 PM
If you wanted to send a message to the team, you'd sit El, Essex, or McFadden and put in someone on the roster who had a shot of playing better.

Oviedo
11-16-2010, 02:14 PM
Message sent. If you don't perform keep your punk a$$ mouth shut. Don't care about the historical comparison between Reed and the new guy because Reed's performance THIS SEASON hasn't been close to his historical performace. If the new guy falters then send him on his way.

Now send another message and keep ARE in civies this Sunday and dress Antonio Brown. ARE has no right to expect he deserves to be on the field after Sunday night. I'd do the same thing for Gay. Put him on the sidelines and let Lewis play.

SteelerNation1
11-16-2010, 02:17 PM
Don't like this move.

sentinel33
11-16-2010, 02:18 PM
you had a good run jeff. 'ppreciate all you did for us .

steelblood
11-16-2010, 02:28 PM
Message sent. If you don't perform keep your punk a$$ mouth shut. Don't care about the historical comparison between Reed and the new guy because Reed's performance THIS SEASON hasn't been close to his historical performace. If the new guy falters then send him on his way.

Now send another message and keep ARE in civies this Sunday and dress Antonio Brown. ARE has no right to expect he deserves to be on the field after Sunday night. I'd do the same thing for Gay. Put him on the sidelines and let Lewis play.

Lewis is a head case. I imagine he makes mistakes putting on his socks. That said, some change in the secondary would be a good idea.

cruzer8
11-16-2010, 02:28 PM
Shaun Suisham sucks. He's the kicker equivalent of having to put up with the likes of Paul Ernster and Mitch Berger for a year. This is bad news.

There had to be something going on behind the scenes because this is really bad news.

NW Steeler
11-16-2010, 02:31 PM
Kickers are a dime a dozen. I think we may be overreacting a bit here. This has more to do with Reed's mouth and actions off of the field as much as anything else, I believe. This team has a lot more problems that its' kicker. Injuries have threatened to completely derail our season more than some guys not performing. But, I would love to see Tomlin at least give Lewis a shot in Gay's position and for the love of God, sit El already!

ikestops85
11-16-2010, 02:34 PM
Don't like this move.

I'm with you, Ruthless, Cruzer and company. This is not a good move. Suisham stinks! If Reed could have just kept his fat mouth shut he would have stayed on the team and maybe found his mojo again. But No ... he had to whine and complain about the field, the fans, the sun in his eyes ... whatever. Now we have a guy trying to kick field goals who is the equivalent of, what did Ruthless say? Oh yeh, Mitch Berger!! :HeadBanger

snarky
11-16-2010, 02:36 PM
Will be interesting to see if Reed is picked up. If he is, perhaps we will make a move on whomever is cut to make room for him. Present form aside, the guy is 12th all time in terms of accuracy. There might be a team out of the hunt this year that wants to get him as a long term upgrade.

BDESteel
11-16-2010, 02:43 PM

You only have one kicker, it's not like you can bench him for another guy to send a message..... There is only on way to make a move with a kicker, give him the boot.

You're exactly right. There's no punter or kicker sitting the bench waiting for their chance to replace the starter. If you suck, you have to go. Reed's misses are all mental IMO.

I did hear something else about a T-shirt he wore last game that was pretty disrespectful to the fans at Heinz Field. Does anyone know anything about this?

The Rooney's aren't going for players dissin the fans.

RuthlessBurgher
11-16-2010, 02:47 PM

You're exactly right. There's no punter or kicker sitting the bench waiting for their chance to replace the starter. If you suck, you have to go. Reed's misses are all mental IMO.

I did hear something else about a T-shirt he wore last game that was pretty disrespectful to the fans at Heinz Field. Does anyone know anything about this?

The Rooney's aren't going for players dissin the fans.

They were talking about it on the radio after the game. It said "Hater's Hate"

NW Steeler
11-16-2010, 02:59 PM
Hater's Hate? Lame.

:Hater

:moon

:lol:

snarky
11-16-2010, 03:09 PM
Anybody else find it a bit, err, odd that he just happened to have this t-shirt in his locker? That's a serious combination of hubris and victimization complex right there.

Oviedo
11-16-2010, 03:18 PM
Anybody else find it a bit, err, odd that he just happened to have this t-shirt in his locker? That's a serious combination of hubris and victimization complex right there.

You're not talking about a rocket scientist here. There is a reason that he was bailing hay before we picked him up. The guy is an egotistical, moron who became a millionaire because he could kick a football.

RuthlessBurgher
11-16-2010, 03:22 PM
Hater's Hate? Lame.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_UF1wOqWDVMo/RbVhpiArK2I/AAAAAAAAAAw/Eb2A7KuMcBY/s320/56095738_15d318e014_m.jpg

BradshawsHairdresser
11-16-2010, 03:22 PM
If you wanted to send a message to the team, you'd sit El, Essex, or McFadden and put in someone on the roster who had a shot of playing better.

$$$$

Get the "El" out of there and bring up Brown to take his place.
Sit Essex and try almost anyone else.
Call up some LT's that have retired in the last year or two.
Try out Butler or Lewis at CB...
Get in someone who can rush the passer on passing downs. Find a way to get Worilds in for that duty, at least part of the time.
Take away play-calling from LeBeau and Arians for a week.

snarky
11-16-2010, 03:23 PM

You're not talking about a rocket scientist here. There is a reason that he was bailing hay before we picked him up. The guy is an egotistical, moron who became a millionaire because he could kick a football.

This is why I keep telling my nephew, who is a pretty damn good soccer player, to try out for kicker at his school.

NW Steeler
11-16-2010, 03:27 PM
Hater's Hate? Lame.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_UF1wOqWDVMo/RbVhpiArK2I/AAAAAAAAAAw/Eb2A7KuMcBY/s320/56095738_15d318e014_m.jpg

Ruthless, you are cracking me up!

CanadianSteel
11-16-2010, 03:57 PM
Reed was clutch for so many years, like so many others before him i'm sad to see him go.
however it was obvious that he just lost it this year. Calling out the fans, blaming the grass ect was the nail in the coffin.
Thanks Jeff for many great kicks you have made for us over the years, but like Porter, Faneca and so many others your time is up.

Djfan
11-16-2010, 04:01 PM

This is why I keep telling my nephew, who is a pretty damn good soccer player, to try out for kicker at his school.

I have a student at my school who is a natural kicker. He punts 50+ yards and kicks off / FGs about 40+ yards. All of this with no training. I keep telling him to keep his priorities in line so he can get rich. He keeps flopping out. It kills me.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
11-16-2010, 04:26 PM
Don't worry guys...We will see enough of Reed to last a lifetime. He will be a Bengal before the weekend.

Steelerphile
11-16-2010, 05:28 PM
I think his attitude got him cut, not his lack of proficiency. He blamed the turf and the fans. He gave himself pretty good marks all the time and took very little personal responsibility. He claims he hit all his kicks just right this year and that nothing was really his fault. When I know he especially didn't hit that kick in NO on artificial turf just right. It was a miss as soon as it left his foot.

This new guy may be a downgrade, but I am not shocked at this move and I think it was fitting.

ikestops85
11-16-2010, 05:40 PM
I think his attitude got him cut, not his lack of proficiency. He blamed the turf and the fans. He gave himself pretty good marks all the time and took very little personal responsibility. He claims he hit all his kicks just right this year and that nothing was really his fault. When I know he especially didn't hit that kick in NO on artificial turf just right. It was a miss as soon as it left his foot.

This new guy may be a downgrade, but I am not shocked at this move and I think it was fitting.

C'mon, the dome was windy that night. :wft

frankthetank1
11-16-2010, 06:06 PM
suisham does suck but reed sucks just as much and he happens to have a bad attitude. what a cry baby to blame the turf at heinz. i would rather have a crap kicker that has a good attitude and will try to make a tackle if needed on a kick off. i also think they should start lewis or butler instead of bmac or gay. why not both gay and bmac suck. when you cant do any worse you explore other options.

NW Steeler
11-16-2010, 06:09 PM
suisham does suck but reed sucks just as much and he happens to have a bad attitude. what a cry baby to blame the turf at heinz. i would rather have a crap kicker that has a good attitude and will try to make a tackle if needed on a kick off. i also think they should start lewis or butler instead of bmac or gay. why not both gay and bmac suck. when you cant do any worse you explore other options.

Tomlin said in his PC that he is absolutely not considering any changes in the secondary. I guess Butler and Lewis suck even more than BMac and Gay.

frankthetank1
11-16-2010, 06:13 PM

Tomlin said in his PC that he is "absolutely not" considering any changes in the secondary. I guess Butler and Lewis suck even more than BMac and Gay.

that is pretty dissapointing. i dont think its possible to suck more than bmac and gay. they could be equally bad but i cant see them doing any worse.

Starlifter
11-16-2010, 06:20 PM
the question lebeau has never answered is: are those 10 yard cushions a result of scheme? or the fact these guys simply can't press up and cover? I think it would be quite ironic if we scheme due to the physical limitations of our players yet fail to change our game plans on both offense and defense to take advantage of the limitations of our opponents.

LouSteel
11-16-2010, 06:33 PM
the question lebeau has never answered is: are those 10 yard cushions a result of scheme? or the fact these guys simply can't press up and cover? I think it would be quite ironic if we scheme due to the physical limitations of our players yet fail to change our game plans on both offense and defense to take advantage of the limitations of our opponents.

If our corners can't hope to cover without spotting the other receiver a first down, our secondary is even worse than I otherwise thought :lol:

Starlifter
11-16-2010, 06:37 PM
If our corners can't hope to cover without spotting the other receiver a first down, our secondary is even worse than I otherwise thought :lol:

I believe on his first 3 TD's brady never got to 3rd down. yep, i'd say we're spotting them the first down.

ALLD
11-16-2010, 06:47 PM
Today Reed, tomorrow Arians?

Good thing Harrison doesn't wear a headband with the word, "GOODELL" written on it.

Some old O-line/secondary problems.

You all forgot the TD pass ARE threw a couple weeks ago.

LouSteel
11-16-2010, 06:52 PM
I believe on his first 3 TD's brady never got to 3rd down. yep, i'd say we're spotting them the first down.

That right there is an indication of exactly how bad this D is broken.

They ate us alive underneath and we did zilch to stop it. We were too busy trying to Impose Our Will to realize that they were taking exactly what we gave them.

It's time to retool this D. If the players can't press at the LOS, time to get some that can. And if our coordinator won't adjust to take away the short game, it's time to get one that will.

NW Steeler
11-16-2010, 07:00 PM

That right there is an indication of exactly how bad this D is broken.

They ate us alive underneath and we did zilch to stop it. We were too busy trying to Impose Our Will to realize that they were taking exactly what we gave them.

It's time to retool this D. If the players can't press at the LOS, time to get some that can. And if our coordinator won't adjust to take away the short game, it's time to get one that will.

There has to be more to it than that, right? Our corners must be incapable of press coverage, because I can't believe that our coaching staff is that stubborn to not adjust their defense to take away the short passes. But we all see how easy it was. Brady threw deep twice all night, yet our cb's were playing 10 yards off the receivers, as usual. Maybe Lewis and Butler don't fit the current Steelers mold because they are better at pressing the receivers? I can't believe how this can continue to be a problem year after year.

isonator07
11-16-2010, 07:23 PM
Today Reed, tomorrow Arians?

Good thing Harrison doesn't wear a headband with the word, "GOODELL" written on it.

Some old O-line/secondary problems.

You all forgot the TD pass ARE threw a couple weeks ago.

I think the fact that the biggest impact ARE can make is throwing the football says it all. I've read in other posts how Wallace has replaced Holmes but we still havent replaced Wallace. I think Brown is the answer. Blazing speed and run deep. It doesn't take long to pickup the playbook when your assignment is go long.

LouSteel
11-16-2010, 07:34 PM
I think the fact that the biggest impact ARE can make is throwing the football says it all. I've read in other posts how Wallace has replaced Holmes but we still havent replaced Wallace. I think Brown is the answer. Blazing speed and run deep. It doesn't take long to pickup the playbook when your assignment is go long.

:Agree

I was cool bringing ARE back for a veteran presence, as a reliable possession receiver, and for the occasional trick play.

But if all we get from him is a few trick plays and completely unreliable hands, he can enjoy the bench.

Deactivate Battle, bench ARE, and get someone else in the mix.

fordfixer
11-16-2010, 08:00 PM
Tuesdays in November signal PK changes

By Bob Labriola – Steelers Digest

Posted 3 hours ago
http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... 31dac31cf2 (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Tuesdays-in-November-signal-PK-changes/baac6e3b-3305-40e1-9fb3-1831dac31cf2)

It was, in a lot of ways, a typical Pittsburgh Tuesday in November. Gray, rainy, not cold but not a nice day to be outside, either. And the Steelers trying out a new kicker.

It was a Tuesday in November 2002 – Nov. 19 – a day not unlike today in terms of climate, when the Steelers conducted a workout at Heinz Field that found them a placekicker. On that 2002 Tuesday, Jeff Reed emerged from the pack and took Todd Peterson’s job. On this 2010 Tuesday, Shaun Suisham emerged from a workout at Heinz Field and took Reed’s job.

“Jeff has had a distinguished career here,” said Coach Mike Tomlin about the team’s decision to cut Reed. “He has had a lot of individual success and contributed to our success as a team, but at this juncture we thought it was appropriate for us to make a change on our football team at that position.”

And so it was that the Steelers parted ways with Reed, who had carved out a nine-year career where he rose to No. 2 on the franchise’s points scored list with 919. Reed had come into 2010, his ninth NFL season, having made 83.3 percent of his field goals, and in the playoffs he was 16-of-18 for his career, with the only two misses coming in his rookie season of 2002. But after nine games this season, Reed was making only 68.2 percent (15-of-22).

“It’s more of an accumulation with where we are,” said Tomlin in explaining the decision. “The kicking position is one that merits a special consideration. It is unlike other positions where you can simply bench someone and go to the backup. There’s only one kicker on a football team, so you don’t take these decisions lightly when you have to make a move. We are very respectful to the work that Jeff has done here, but at this time we thought it was appropriate we make a change.”

Back in 2002, the Steelers were hunting for a kicker who wouldn’t be intimidated by Heinz Field, and the search wasn’t going well. Kris Brown decided to leave the team via free agency after one season kicking at Heinz Field, and Peterson didn’t even last a full year. Reed was the next choice, at least partly because he seemed to be immune to the many issues that make Heinz Field so difficult for kickers, from it being at outdoor venue in the Northeast, to its open end that faces the rivers, to the natural grass surface that cannot be pristine once winter sets in.

But in 2010, Reed seemed to lose a bit of his mojo at Heinz Field. He missed a 40-yarder vs. the Falcons on Sept. 12 that would have ended a game in regulation the Steelers then won in overtime on Rashard Mendenhall’s 50-yard touchdown run; he missed two attempts (49 yards and 45 yards) in a 17-14 loss to the Ravens on Oct. 3; and then he missed a 26-yard attempt last Sunday night against the Patriots.

After the game, Reed didn’t help himself with his comments to the media. “I’m not one to make excuses. I’ll take the credit for the miss. It was a great snap, a great hold, great protection. It’s kind of hard when you plant your foot and the hole – a piece of ground moves where the ball’s under the holder. I almost missed the ball completely. I’m not going to make excuses. If you’ve played any kind of sports in your life, you realize that what we play on is not very good turf. It happens.”

When asked specifically about what Reed said and whether that was a contributing factor in the decision, Tomlin again focused on what was happening on the field. “Again we just looked at the cumulative body of work, where we are and how we move forward. We felt like at this time it justified a change.”

During the playoffs, specifically the team’s two Super Bowl championships in 2005 and 2008, Reed was money. He was 3-for-3 in 2005, including a 47-yard field goal to open the scoring in the AFC Championship Game in Denver, and he was 5-for-5 in 2008, including field goals of 34, 42 and 46 yards in that AFC Championship Game vs. the Ravens at Heinz Field.

But now the job belongs to Suisham, whom the Steelers originally signed as an undrafted rookie in 2005. His role that summer was as an extra leg in training camp, and he made his only field goal attempt of the preseason – from 46 yards.

Suisham has had two separate stints with both the Redskins and Cowboys, and he has made 87-of-110 field goal attempts (79.1 percent), with a long of 52 yards.

“Shaun Suisham was available, we worked him out, we like his resume and how he performed here today,” said Tomlin. “He’s experienced, of course, being here before. He is a veteran guy, no stranger to NFL competition, so we are extremely comfortable with the change and moving forward.”

With nine years as the Steelers kicker, Reed was in a longevity class with the likes of Roy Gerela (eight seasons) and Gary Anderson (13 seasons) as far as recent franchise history. Gerela was the kicker on three Super Bowl championship teams, Matt Bahr on one and Reed on two.

“It comes with this position,” said Tomlin about having to cut Reed. “I have to embrace the unpleasant things that come with this position like I embrace the pleasant things. I don’t shy away from it by any stretch. It’s apart of this business, one that I acknowledge. It’s not an easy conversation, but we did have it.”

INJURY UPDATE: Said Tomlin, “Will Allen (concussion) is still a question mark. Crezdon Butler had a quad strain in the game. He can be characterized as questionable. Brett Keisel is still working on his hamstring. We’ll see where he is later in the week. Chris Kemoeatu has an ankle sprain. We’re going to get him going here, and hopefully he’s going to be available to us. Lawrence Timmons has a hip contusion. It may limit him in the early portion of the week. We expect him to come back. Troy Polamalu has a right Achilles strain. We’re probably going to slow him down for the early portions of the week just like Heath Miller last week, with an eye towards practicing at the latter part of the week, and being able to play. We expect him to be able to play.”

About Hines Ward, Tomlin said, “I expect Hines Ward to be available for this upcoming game. He was diagnosed with a concussion, and he cleared the post-concussion test. We will continue to be conscious as we move forward. We’ve seen things change courses, as we saw last week with Will Allen. He had sustained a concussion a few weeks ago and cleared. As the week wore on, he had experienced a headache Saturday morning. We acted appropriately, as we will do.”

winwithd
11-16-2010, 08:21 PM
All I recall of Suisham is times he missed kicks for Washington and I believe Dallas. I don't feel real confident about this move. Reed had been nearly perfect in the postseason. Then again had Reed made the 26 yder we'd have been down only 8 midway thru the 4th and we wouldn't have had to give the Patsies a short field trying to come back from 2 scores down. I don't think I would have onside kicked on either of the times we did, especially not the first time. Otherwise, misses against NO and Balt. may have cost us those games.

But cant a guy also turn it around just as quick.

There is a reason Suisham is available. No other team liked him. Maybe Suisham is great at kickoffs.

I got to say though that KO coverage has been much improved this year.

Sanders and Brown have had to compete to see who gets a hat. I say we throw ARE into the mix and make him have to compete with the young bucks to earn a hat.

phillyesq
11-16-2010, 10:22 PM

I agree completely.

It's a shame that Reed fell apart this year. I'd gladly take the 2009 version of Jeff Reed, poor kickoffs and all, over Suisham any day of the week.

Kicker is now added to the list of positions the Steelers need to address in the offseason.

Herewegosteelers!
11-16-2010, 10:24 PM
I think the Steelers just signed David Trout II to take over Reed's job. I hope it doesn't turn out that way though...

fordfixer
11-16-2010, 10:36 PM
Shaun Suisham
FGM XPM Pts
- - -
Team: St. Louis Rams Height: 6-0 Born: 12/29/1981
Position: K Weight: 197 Birthplace: Wallaceburg, ON
College: Bowling Green Draft: Undrafted

Stats
News
Latest News
May 20 9:29 PM PT10:29 PM MT11:29 PM CT12:29 AM ET4:29 AM GMT12:29 PM ????9:29 PM MST11:29 PM EST10:29 PM CT-The Cleveland Browns have signed free agent kicker Shaun Suisham. With veteran Phil Dawson skipping the team's voluntary workouts in an apparent contract dispute, the Browns signed Suisham, who spent last season with Dallas and Washington. Suisham made 20 of 24 field goals last season.
Analysis: Suisham was cut by the Redskins after missing a 23-yard attempt in a game the Redskins lost to New Orleans in overtime. He also missed from 39 and 50 yards in a 7-6 loss to Dallas, which later signed him.

Regular Season Stats
Career Kicking Stats
Year Team G FGM FGA Pct XPM XPA Pct Pts
2005 Dal 3 3 4 75.0 8 8 100.0 17
2006 Dal 3 1 2 50.0 2 2 100.0 5
2006 Was 5 8 9 88.9 12 12 100.0 36
TOTAL 8 9 11 81.8 14 14 100.0 41
2007 Was 16 29 35 82.9 29 30 96.7 116
2008 Was 16 26 36 72.2 25 25 100.0 103
2009 Was 12 18 21 85.7 20 21 95.2 74
2009 Dal 2 2 3 66.7 5 5 100.0 11
TOTAL 14 20 24 83.3 25 26 96.2 85
Totals 57 87 110 79.1 101 103 98.1 362

Career Kickoff Stats
Year Team G KO TB Pct Yds Avg Ret Ret Yds Avg Start
2005 Dal 3 13 0 0.0 810 62.3 13 264 27.2
2006 Dal 3 14 4 28.6 928 66.3 11 279 30.1
2006 Was 5 26 0 0.0 1667 64.1 25 487 24.7
TOTAL 8 40 4 10.0 2595 64.9 36 766 26.6
2007 Was 16 72 6 8.3 4357 60.5 64 1265 29.1
2008 Was 16 67 9 13.4 4276 63.8 55 1103 27.9
2009 Was 12 49 5 10.2 3093 63.1 42 824 27.6
Totals 57 241 24 10.0 15131 62.8 210 4222 28.0
:HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger

NorthCoast
11-16-2010, 10:43 PM
Well, we can whine all we want about this move but give Tomlin credit for pulling the trigger. Cowher would have kept Reed all the way to miss No. 15 on the season before batting an eye.

You guys are saying Suisham's kicking is a crap shoot. I say the Reed this season is the equivalent, and he brings some bad attitude as well. Sad how much these kickers make when all they need to do is be good on a half dozen plays a game.

aggiebones
11-16-2010, 11:15 PM
Horrible move.
Squeezem is a HORRIBLE kicker. He very likely will lose a game for us in the playoff.
Don't just look at his FG%, but also his clutch attempts. I bet he's 0-10 of similar.

Wow, this could not be a worse blunder.. Can't kick off either.

He lets cut Big Ben and sign Russell. Its about the same.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
11-17-2010, 10:21 AM
I'll comment by saying...Suisham won't be the last PK we sign before the year is out.

papillon
11-17-2010, 11:19 AM
I'll comment by saying...Suisham won't be the last PK we sign before the year is out.

I agree with this 100% and this weekend could be his last as a Steeler. I have a bad feeling about this move. He's never kicked under pressure in Heinz field and there's sure to be a couple kicks this weekend involving game changing pressure. Unless, the offense, actually scores some TDs this weekend the game will probably be closer than it should be.

Pappy

Oviedo
11-17-2010, 11:19 AM
Horrible move.
Squeezem is a HORRIBLE kicker. He very likely will lose a game for us in the playoff.
Don't just look at his FG%, but also his clutch attempts. I bet he's 0-10 of similar.

Wow, this could not be a worse blunder.. Can't kick off either.

He lets cut Big Ben and sign Russell. Its about the same.

I think this is far from a blunder. The lack of faith that Reed could get right is exactly the issue. He is a sinking ship taking on water fast!!!!

Reed before 2009 and early IS NOT Reed in 2010. He is not better than Suisham right now and from giving a damn may actually be much worse.

Look at it this way. Reed wanted a big long term contract and did not get it and was tagged. Reed wasn't happy. Advantage Steelers.

He knew he had to perform at a high level to get the contract he wanted. He hasn't and his market value is dropping with every game based on his performance. Reed isn't happy because he sees the dollars fading away.

Now he even more resents the tag he got. His attitude gets worse and lashes out at fans, field, anything but himself.

Does anyone think his attitude was going to get better? Does anyone think as his performance slips the presssure won't get to him even more? He was a train wreck waiting to happen and given his demenor I'm betting the team was concerned he was just going to start mailing it in.

The guys who see him and deal with him first hand everyday probably saw warning signs popping up all over the place and made the move for the benefit of the team.

Will the new kicker miss kicks? You bet! But so is Reed and the new guy probably won't be a problem waiting to explode.

Let's let Suisham actually kick his first ball as a Steeler before we run around screaming the sky is falling. Do you have any doubts that the front office doesn't have a Plan B and Plan C? That just shows how concerned they really were about Reed.

Anyone want to bet that if one of Suisham's kick-offs reaches the endzone that there is cheer like never heard before at Heinz Field?

Leper Friend
11-17-2010, 12:24 PM
He lets cut Big Ben and sign Russell. Its about the same.That's the dumbest comparison I've probably ever read.

aggiebones
11-17-2010, 12:39 PM
Well that was an exaggeration obviously. But the point of cutting one guy and picking up someone worse is identical.

I live in DC. The kicker shuffle is dumb to get involved in. He missed SEVERAL game winning chances from close range for the Skins, they cut him. Then Dallas has had enough of Folk and they cut him and pick up Suisham...who promptly missed a game winner for Dallas. Then the Jets pick up Folk, who promptly misses several close rangers including some that could ice games. They will regret that move.

I mean go find some new kid or some old vet. Why pick up a choke artist who lost games with 2 other teams. I don't care much about Reed. Reed could have fixed things, who knows, but Suisham can't fix his 10 cent head. He can't kick in the clutch. Reed can, but has a glitch. He doesn't choke, but is missing all FGs from all ranges currently.

Point is if we are relying on Suisham in the playoffs...we won't last long. He WILL choke when we need him most.

Leper Friend
11-17-2010, 12:53 PM
Well that was an exaggeration obviously. But the point of cutting one guy and picking up someone worse is identical.

I live in DC. The kicker shuffle is dumb to get involved in. He missed SEVERAL game winning chances from close range for the Skins, they cut him. Then Dallas has had enough of Folk and they cut him and pick up Suisham...who promptly missed a game winner for Dallas. Then the Jets pick up Folk, who promptly misses several close rangers including some that could ice games. They will regret that move.

I mean go find some new kid or some old vet. Why pick up a choke artist who lost games with 2 other teams. I don't care much about Reed. Reed could have fixed things, who knows, but Suisham can't fix his 10 cent head. He can't kick in the clutch. Reed can, but has a glitch. He doesn't choke, but is missing all FGs from all ranges currently.

Point is if we are relying on Suisham in the playoffs...we won't last long. He WILL choke when we need him most.
I don't know much about him honestly but I hope you're wrong.

To me , kickers are a dime a dozen.I really don't think a whole lot seperates them and the biggest factor is frame of mind.Something obviously wasn't right with Reed.Getting a new start might be exactly what this new kid needs.If he makes a few kicks early , maybe his confidence skyrockets. He's playing for a winning organization , he knows this may be his last shot , so who knows ?

Like someone said earlier, the way it was going with Reed, this year was probably his last hear.This kid is probably a stop gap until the offseason but he can't do a whole lot worse.

hawaiiansteel
11-17-2010, 06:37 PM
Suisham happy to be back

By Teresa Varley - Steelers.com

http://www.steelers.com/assets/images/imported/PIT/photos/article/Suisham__0013.jpg

When the call came in and it was the Steelers looking to sign him, there was no hesitation on kicker Shaun Suisham’s part. Coming back to Pittsburgh was exactly what he wanted.

“It’s a really neat place,” said Suisham, who signed with the team after Jeff Reed was waived on Tuesday. “It’s funny how the NFL works. I was presented with three opportunities to go to different teams because of injury. When Pittsburgh called it was a no-brainer to come here.”

“It is a wonderful opportunity,” said Suisham. “I certainly wanted to come here. When you are on the outside looking in, you work out for teams and you hope they choose you. I couldn’t have asked for anything better, to end up with the Steelers is what I wanted.”

Suisham began his NFL journey as a rookie free agent with the Steelers in 2005 out of Bowling Green, spending training camp with the team before being waived prior to the start of the season.

“In 2005 I would have paid the Steelers to let me come here,” said Suisham. “It was really a special opportunity. I wasn’t sure if I was even going to get in to an NFL camp. The Pittsburgh Steelers did that for me. I had a lot of fun here and I was excited to get the phone call.”

Suisham spent time off and on kicking for the Dallas Cowboys in 2005 and 2006, before being signed to the Washington Redskins active roster on December 2, 2006. He was waived by the Redskins in December, 2009. Suisham has made 87 of 110 of his career field goal attempts (79.1 percent) and 101 of 103 extra points (98.1 percent).

“In my career I have bounced around,” said Suisham. “It’s year six now. I have adjusted to it. It’s been our life bouncing around and adjusting to new teams. I feel great. I feel comfortable. I am really looking forward to it.”

He hasn’t played in a game yet this season after he was waived in training camp by the St. Louis Rams. He moved back to Ohio where his wife’s family lives, spending time renovating his home. He also went through a tough time when his mother-in-law unexpectedly suffered a heart attack and died two weeks ago.

“It’s funny how things work out for us to get to spend that extra time with her family,” said Suisham. “I was thankful to not play then and get to spend time with family. Looking back at things I wouldn’t have it any other way.”

He also has been spending time working out, staying in shape and keeping his leg ready in case a team did call.

“To be back kicking in the NFL is great. To be back here with the Pittsburgh Steelers is great. I am really excited.

“I am here to kick field goals because the Steelers asked me to. I am going to do everything I possibly can to put myself in the best positive position and I hope I can help this team win games. “

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... e5900f0a13 (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Suisham-happy-to-be-back/8b000b28-a4ed-419b-b301-d2e5900f0a13)

fezziwig
11-17-2010, 06:52 PM
I never thought Reed was as good as people said or thought. Lousy kickoffs aside, he never impressed me. Maybe I'm wrong but he padded his stats with pretty short field goals.

I would like to see the stats of his 30 yarders and less compared to 30 yards and beyond. I would like to see his 40 yard attempts and beyond. I do not recall many field goal attempts for reed being much more than 40 yards. They never really placed him in that spot that I remember.

I remember Gary Anderson best for making the 46, 52 yard field goals. We used to joke if it wasn't for Gary Anderson carrying our offense, we could have had higher draft picks all those seasons.

Jeff may have the title of being the more accurate kicker but, he was placed in better spots with better teams.

Did Jeff or Gary ever make the Pro Bowl ?

hawaiiansteel
11-17-2010, 06:58 PM
Did Jeff or Gary ever make the Pro Bowl ?

Gary Anderson was a 4-time Pro Bowler & 1-time First-Team All-Pro.

fezziwig
11-17-2010, 07:02 PM
thanks

hawaiiansteel
11-17-2010, 10:17 PM
Steelers release Reed, sign Suisham

Wednesday, November 17, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201011/201011117steelers_500.jpg

Peter Diana/Post-Gazette

The Steelers declined to give specifics why they released kicked Jeff Reed.

The Steelers released their franchise player, one of football's best kickers, because he apparently stubbed their toe.

Coach Mike Tomlin informed Jeff Reed by telephone Tuesday morning, then declined to give specifics why he released the Steelers' No. 2 all-time leading scorer, but it could not have been solely because he missed a few kicks this season.

It cannot be that because the kicker they signed to replace him, Shaun Suisham, cannot match Reed's statistics and carries a reputation for not getting the job done in the clutch. A kick by Suisham last Dec. 6 is known by Washington Redskins fans as "The Choke" because he missed a 23-yard field goal with 1:56 left as Washington wound up losing to New Orleans in overtime, 33-30.

The Redskins cut him two days later. The Cowboys signed him, and, in a playoff game against Minnesota, Suisham missed two of his three kicks, from 48 and 49 yards in a Dallas loss and the Cowboys did not re-sign him.

Since the Steelers cut Suisham after he spent his first NFL training camp with them in 2005, he has been with the Cowboys, San Francisco 49ers, the Redskins, back to the Cowboys, to the Cleveland Browns for one month before camp this summer, and to the St. Louis Rams, who cut him after four days in August. He was out of work until the Steelers signed him to a one-year contract Tuesday after he kicked for them at Heinz Field.

"We like his resume," Tomlin said. "We like how he performed today. He's been here before. I think he was in camp here in '05. He's a veteran guy. He's no stranger to NFL competition."

Suisham has a career success rate of 79.1 percent (87 of 110) and is relatively strong on kickoffs. Reed's career success is 81.9 percent, including his 15 of 22 this season -- one from 55 banged off the upright, he missed two others from 51 and 49, yet he made another from 52 in Heinz Field and he kicked one from 53 (tying his career long) in Cincinnati, a game in which many point to his missed 46-yarder for not sealing a game the Steelers ultimately won.

Reed has been known for clutch kicks throughout his nine-year career, all with the Steelers. He even was better in the postseason. He made 16 of his 18 field-goal tries in 12 postseason games, making every one since 2004 after missing two (3 of 5) as a rookie in '02.

So, it cannot be his kicking that prompted his ouster. If that were the case, the Steelers would have released him after his second season, when he missed nine kicks (23 of 32). It must be something else, it must be something he said, such as:

"If you're not perfect in this city, man, then you're going to hear about it. It's been like that for nine years, and why would they stop now?"

Or:

"I'm not going to make excuses. If you've played any kind of sports in your life, you realize that what we play on is not very good turf. It happens."

Again, Tomlin declined to address those comments by Reed or ones he made this summer when he called the Steelers liars for not fulfilling a promise on his contract, which was $2.8 million as their franchise player, $1 million of which they still owe him no matter what he earns from another team, unless he is claimed off waivers. He also had a few minor tiffs with the law, one not much more than a traffic ticket.

"We just looked at the cumulative body of work and where we are and how we move forward," Tomlin said. "We felt like at this time it justified a change."

Suisham comes in with a clean slate in many respects. He has not missed a kick for the Steelers, he has not bashed their fans nor Heinz Field nor the Rooneys. He also does not know the intricacies of kicking in the notorious Heinz Field winds, nor on its sloppy field.

Reed went on waivers Tuesday with 31 teams getting an opportunity to claim him, although they would have to assume his contract if they did. If he clears waivers by 4 p.m. today, he is a free agent.

Several teams are hunting for kickers, most seriously the Cincinnati Bengals, who placed Mike Nugent on injured reserve and Tuesday signed a kicker with no regular-season NFL experience. The Jets nearly lost Sunday to Cleveland because Nick Folk missed three field goals, including one from 24 yards.

"We want to get back out and kick and finish the year on a positive note," said Don Henderson, Reed's agent. "Who knows at this point in the season? A lot of things can happen."

The Bengals play in Heinz Field Dec. 17, and the Jets pay a visit one week later.

Injury updates
Tomlin issued a mixed bag for the state of Steelers injuries, including a potential bothersome one to Troy Polamalu, who has a right Achilles tendon strain.

"We're probably going to slow him down here in the early portions of the week, just like we did with Heath Miller, with an eye toward practicing in the latter part of the week," Tomlin said. "We expect him to play."

He also expects Chris Kemoeatu to return to start at left guard after he missed the game against New England Sunday night with knee and ankle sprains. Defensive end Brett Keisel, who has missed three of the past four games, "is still working with his hamstring. We'll see where he is later in the week."

Linebacker Lawrence Timmons left Sunday night's game with a hip bruise and "that may limit him in the early portion of the week. We expect him to come back."

Safety Will Allen experienced headaches Saturday from his concussion Nov. 8 and will undergo more tests this week.

Cornerback Crezdon Butler has a thigh strain.

Tomlin said Jonathan Scott performed well enough to keep his job at left tackle after making his first start for injured Max Starks.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10321/11 ... z15b28Jv7e (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10321/1103827-66.stm#ixzz15b28Jv7e)