PDA

View Full Version : The Anthony Smith Game

jj28west
11-15-2010, 07:26 PM
I did not know any other way to reference it but if you recall that game the Steelers probably blitzed 75% of the time the second half and we still could not get to Brady. He was dinking to Welker & dunking to Faulk, etc.
We brought the house and the piece of sh!t still got the ball to the intended receivers.
Not saying I have the answers except Brady burned the blitz pretty good that game.

steelerkeylargo
11-15-2010, 08:13 PM
Its as simple as this...great QB's will rip apart zone coverage and soft man coverage all day long. We need to play press man, blitz and take our chances with the long ball to beat Brady.

SteelCzar76
11-15-2010, 08:31 PM
Its as simple as this...great QB's will rip apart zone coverage and soft man coverage all day long. We need to play press man, blitz and take our chances with the long ball to beat Brady.

Your right Largo. But if you have corners with below average awareness, speed, instincts, intelligence and ball skills on the field with 'supposed' 5 tech ends whom can barely handle single blockers,.... how will playing in such a manner be any more effective than just taking the field with such "mix and match" personnel and expecting them to haul a very effective system that their shortcomings are already failing ?

steelerkeylargo
11-15-2010, 08:44 PM

Your right Largo. But if you have corners with below average awareness, speed, instincts, intelligence and ball skills on the field with 'supposed' 5 tech ends whom can barely handle single blockers,.... how will playing in such a manner be any more effective than just taking the field with such "mix and match" personnel and expecting them to haul a very effective system that their shortcomings are already failing ?

I think Ike could handle it...you would have to roll Troy to BMACs side and let Clark play single high safety. Damn we miss Smith and Kiesel

jj28west
11-15-2010, 08:50 PM

I think Ike could handle it...you would have to roll Troy to BMACs side and let Clark play single high safety. Damn we miss Smith and Kiesel

This actually worked well for three quarters in the Super Bowl :)

pfelix73
11-15-2010, 11:42 PM
That's why you run the ball, control the clock, and make sure Brady has as few of possessions as possible.

Getting a FB on the roster and actually using him in game situations would be a start. And I agree with regards to Spaeth- he sucks and I'd replace him with a FA FB.

:tt1

NJ-STEELER
11-16-2010, 12:22 AM
having an OL that gives you time whether the D sends 4 or 7 is something good to have as a QB

pepsyman1
11-16-2010, 12:43 AM
I'm sure many of you older fans will remember, but we went through this in the early 90's with the Buffalo Bills and Jim Kelly. He was always ripping us to shreds, exposing us very much the way Brady does now. We didn't have any consistent success against them until we REALLY got aggressive with them. We did give up some occasional big plays over the top, but we pressed them HARD. We blitzed from EVERYWHERE. I remember when we finally cracked them like an egg on Monday Night Football. I don't ever remember seeing a team blitz as much as we did that game and it literally was from EVERYWHERE. Linebackers, safeties, cornerbacks. (I still remember Woodson coming in from the backside corner at 100 mph to lay Kelly out!) It was a gamble, but it worked. We don't even have to ACTUALLY blitz all the time, but we have to create the impression that we might be blitzing on every play. And we have to be willing SOME OF THE TIME (not always) to play some bump and run with the receivers to disrupt the rhythm that Brady gets on those short passes....plus that puts people closer to the action on those dump passes into the flat.

SteelCzar76
11-16-2010, 01:49 AM

That's sounds good in theory Largo but i'm thinking MacFadden may be just be awful enough at this point in his career for that to prove to be a mere 'band aid on a 50 cal bullet wound' solution.

Especially when one considers the fact that,....Ryan Clark has been relatively slow since Pop Warner,... and he's not getting any younger.

Mister Pittsburgh
11-16-2010, 01:56 AM
That's why you run the ball, control the clock, and make sure Brady has as few of possessions as possible.

Getting a FB on the roster and actually using him in game situations would be a start. And I agree with regards to Spaeth- he sucks and I'd replace him with a FA FB.

:tt1

Bullsh*t. That is a loser mentality. How many Superbowls have we won turtling up with the burn the clock mentality? We didn't win crap until we got a franchise QB that could air it out.

Why with Steeler fans is it always burn clock, burn clock. How about your offense kicks so much azz that you want more clock? Why not have that mentality where you have success on offense as well? If they want to go to that loser mentality then they better trade Ben right now, draft linemen in the first round for the next 5 years, and get a scrub QB that can barely throw but hands off well and can throw the ball away.

As far as I can tell though, we have a good QB that can throw the ball, just a putrid offensive coordinator. I keep hearing Lebeau and Tomlin talk about how yards don't matter, their pass D wasn't giving up points and that is all that matters, but then see yinzer Steeler fans defend Arians, and even Tomlin defend Arians, with that very argument.

So I guess Arians offensive yards matter, not his redzone patheticism and lack of creativity, but on defense we are all good not giving up TD's, just FG's and yards.

Organization has no identity now because they are too scared to hand the reigns over to their QB full time and their D just looks worn out at this point. I think Lebeau's sack of tricks is depleted and Tomlin is just along for the ride.