PDA

View Full Version : Steelers will bring in kickers, could cut Jeff Reed

calmkiller
11-15-2010, 05:50 PM
Per PFT

Jeff Reedís bad game in Pittsburgh Sunday night could be his last.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that Pittsburgh is contemplating cutting Reed, the kicker whom the Steelers used the franchise tag to retain during the offseason.

The Steelers will bring in kickers for workouts on Tuesday, and if one of them is impressive enough, Reed will be out of work.

On Sunday Reed missed a 26-yard field goal against the Patriots and complained afterward about the fans, the media and the turf at Heinz Field.

todd1974
11-15-2010, 05:56 PM
Per PFT

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that Pittsburgh is contemplating cutting Reed, the kicker whom the Steelers used the franchise tag to retain during the offseason.

The Steelers will bring in kickers for workouts on Tuesday, and if one of them is impressive enough, Reed will be out of work.

On Sunday Reed missed a 26-yard field goal against the Patriots and complained afterward about the fans, the media and the turf at Heinz Field.

I think Reed's comments in his press conference last night talked his way out of town.

ikestops85
11-15-2010, 06:00 PM
Per PFT

I think Reed's comments in his press conference last night talked his way out of town.

I think you might be right. Especially that comment where he thought he had an 'average' game.

steelerkeylargo
11-15-2010, 06:32 PM
I would take a look at Nick Novak (the old Maryland kicker). I think he is in the UFL.

LordVile
11-15-2010, 06:46 PM
Adios Skippy.. :moon

DukieBoy
11-15-2010, 06:59 PM
FReed at last!

Discipline of Steel
11-15-2010, 07:03 PM
Im all for getting rid of the man who missed a 26 yard FG (xp) during a crucial moment of a big game. He has pretty much sucked this year. But Im not seeing this as a good thing because, lets face it, only lower ranked kickers remain free agents at this point and it could be a while before we settle that position (see punting before Sepulveda).

_SteeL_CurtaiN_
11-15-2010, 07:35 PM
See Ya! Don't let the door hit you where the good lord split you!

Crash
11-15-2010, 07:37 PM
I don't like this. Knee-jerk. What kicking dreak is left?

Skippy can't struggle once but we continue to play that asshat Matt Spaeth who has sucked for three years now?

todd1974
11-15-2010, 07:58 PM

Skippy can't struggle once but we continue to play that asshat Matt Spaeth who has sucked for three years now?

Matt Spaeth is a waste of a roster spot!!!!!!

Discipline of Steel
11-15-2010, 07:59 PM
Its not a done deal yet. Could very well be a ploy to motivate Reed....and see whats out there.

BradshawsHairdresser
11-15-2010, 07:59 PM

$$$$

Fans need to be careful what they wish for. Any kicker we bring off the scrap heap this time of year is not likely to successful, especially at Heinz Field, and may even be worse.

A better kicker would be good, but making this move at this time is just an attempt to take the focus off all the other ineptitude that's going on.

_SteeL_CurtaiN_
11-15-2010, 08:31 PM

$$$$

Fans need to be careful what they wish for. Any kicker we bring off the scrap heap this time of year is not likely to successful, especially at Heinz Field, and may even be worse.

A better kicker would be good, but making this move at this time is just an attempt to take the focus off all the other ineptitude that's going on.

I agree but Reed, Spaeth, McFadden, Gay, Essex, Randle El and G0d Da#Med Arians can all go with him as far as I am concerned. Last night was as embarrasing as it gets, that Oline should have given back their gamne checks for that alleged "effort". Skippy isn't a knee jerk reaction how many games has he cost us in the past two years, 3, 4 ,5? At least bring someone in to try and shake his a$$ up.

And for the F&*King love of christ could the refs ignore more of those holds being used against Silverback. He loooks like a shell of his former self out there thanks Commisioner Pantywaist.

CanadianSteel
11-15-2010, 09:50 PM

I hate that about Steeler fans, same thing happened to FWP. Love them when all is good but lynch them on the way out. If this is it for Reed, he did a great job while he was here (this year aside) and i thank him for being part of 2 SB winning teams. It's one thing to release guys when their time is up, it's another thing to crap on them just because they can't stay in their prime forever.

Herewegosteelers!
11-15-2010, 10:12 PM
It is a knee-jerk reaction. Remember Chris Brown and Todd Peterson kicking at Heinz field? Don't give up on Skippy yet unless there is a suitable replacement. Almost every kicker gets into a slump.

Starlifter
11-15-2010, 10:19 PM
this is win win win. we either motivate skippy to start making FG's. we replace him with someone who can or at the very least we get him back next year at a bargain basement price.

Steelhere10
11-15-2010, 10:34 PM
I love the move, don't wait till he cost us a playoff game and at the same time let the other know that not performing will cost you!

Steelhere10
11-15-2010, 10:35 PM
Randall El do you heat it .

Shoe
11-15-2010, 10:46 PM

$$$$

Agreed, and if I think with my head, we gotta stick with this fat, pear-shaped loser til the end of the year. Because (at least) he is familiar with Heinz Field kicking conditions... and--having this could light a fire for him, UNTIL WE CERTAINLY DUMP HIM NEXT YEAR.

Man... I look at *professionals* like Akers in Philly tonight... how fit he is. And then I look at our kicker. F'n seriously always looks disheveled, like he just came stumbling in from the club... and his obese f'n thighs... I swear, he's shaped like my HS Spanish teacher.

SteelerNation1
11-15-2010, 10:57 PM
Remember Chris Brown and Todd Peterson kicking at Heinz field?

Let me refresh your memories....
http://americalovescountdowns.com/images/alc10_brown.jpg

Chucktownsteeler
11-15-2010, 11:01 PM
There are others I would rather see go/benched before Reed, BA, Speath, Gay, McFadden.

All kickers slump.

You have much deeper problems when you rely on your kicker to win games.

If he goes it won't solve much.

ChucktownSteeler

Herewegosteelers!
11-15-2010, 11:37 PM
Remember Chris Brown and Todd Peterson kicking at Heinz field?

Let me refresh your memories....
http://americalovescountdowns.com/images/alc10_brown.jpg

UUhhgg! I was there for that fiasco. Five missed field goals by Brown... :oops:

pittpete
11-16-2010, 12:15 AM
Reed is an absolute pig

AngryAsian
11-16-2010, 01:19 AM

I hate that about Steeler fans, same thing happened to FWP. Love them when all is good but lynch them on the way out. If this is it for Reed, he did a great job while he was here (this year aside) and i thank him for being part of 2 SB winning teams. It's one thing to release guys when their time is up, it's another thing to crap on them just because they can't stay in their prime forever.

Bro, its not like we're talking about Adam Viniateri here, where there were many memorable kicks that one playoff games... we're talking about a disgrace to the team when he's not in uniform, probably the most out of shape kicker I've seen since Janikowski (at least he has a leg), he's not a prolific tackler on ST and his percentage this year blows. I can't say I'm on board with this Knee Jerk reaction, but its not like he's produced as of late... if anything he's declined. Plus that press conference post game was beyond ridiculous... talk about no culpability.

Mister Pittsburgh
11-16-2010, 01:25 AM

Matt Spaeth is a waste of a roster spot for the same reason that the best FB in the league would be a waste of a roster spot in our offense. That reason is that our offensive coordinator is worthless.

If Rooney had any sack about him he would have been down in Tomlin's office this morning telling him to inform Randy Fichtner he better start working on this weeks gameplan and to send Bruce Arians to his office.

Then he would call DL into his office, sit there and watch the past 6 Steelers vs. Patriots games and ask Lebeau why they look like a F'n re-run with the Pats attacking our D the same way every game and our gameplan each time was the same, with the same outcome.

Ghost
11-16-2010, 09:10 AM
In case you forgot - the Steelers found Reed bailling hay on a farm when they held mid-season tryouts for a replacement kicker (Todd Perterson was hurt). He had been cut by the Saints and not picked up by anyone.

Whenever you talk about cutting a guy or a coach, the first question should always be - so who will replace him? In this case, with the way this situation has developed, it might not be that hard to find a guy.

Worst percentage of made FG's in the NFL. Missing kicks in a dome. Missing chip shot field goals. Missing highly makeable FG's that are game deciders. Short kickoffs. Blaming the field. Home field no longer an advantage. What in the @#$% is knee jerk about trying out some kickers? I'd consider it a proactive step to make the team better.

I liked Jeff Reed when he came here. He was clutch for many years and helped with 2 Super Bowls. Now it's 50/50 when he walks out there. Can't be sentimental. A kicker is paid (good money) to make kicks and he's not performing and doesn't think anything is wrong. Bring in some guys so Reed understands his play is not acceptable.

Chadman
11-16-2010, 09:51 AM
Chadman has no problem trying out new kickers at this stage. Reed has shown that he can't be relied upon this season- which is a big problem when you talk about a player in a position that is OFTEN relied on to come in and do what is, a reasonably simple job, compared to that of most of his team mates.

When games can be decided by 3 points or less, you can't have a kicker performing poorly. You just can't.

More to the point though- when you look at his press conference responses, you see a guy that is blaming others- not himself. When a player starts to blame the fans for their reactions- it's time to consider where you stand. Wasn't it Kordell that took a shot at the fans reaction to him? (Or is Chadman thinking of someone else?). Once a player gets to that stage, they are moving out of town.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
11-16-2010, 10:37 AM
And to think...Rob Bironas walked in our door and back out again because Jeff Reed was in the room.

ikestops85
11-16-2010, 10:39 AM
Chadman has no problem trying out new kickers at this stage. Reed has shown that he can't be relied upon this season- which is a big problem when you talk about a player in a position that is OFTEN relied on to come in and do what is, a reasonably simple job, compared to that of most of his team mates.

When games can be decided by 3 points or less, you can't have a kicker performing poorly. You just can't.

More to the point though- when you look at his press conference responses, you see a guy that is blaming others- not himself. When a player starts to blame the fans for their reactions- it's time to consider where you stand. Wasn't it Kordell that took a shot at the fans reaction to him? (Or is Chadman thinking of someone else?). Once a player gets to that stage, they are moving out of town.

Spot on Chadman! I would normally not be calling for Reed's head based on his performance this year. It has been horrible but getting a new kicker doesn't mean getting a better kicker. What I can't put up with is bad performance WITH bad attitude. Anyone who thinks his performance in that game was "average" is delusional. The guy has to go.

RuthlessBurgher
11-16-2010, 11:13 AM

The parking lots of Pittsburgh aren't going to pee on themselves!

feltdizz
11-16-2010, 12:18 PM
There are others I would rather see go/benched before Reed, BA, Speath, Gay, McFadden.

All kickers slump.

ChucktownSteeler

it won't solve all of our problems but you know what? It sends a message....

and I would rather field a team that knows they can't rely on their kicker instead of fielding a team who keep thinking their kicker will get out of his slump and makes excuses after every kick.

proudpittsburgher
11-16-2010, 01:54 PM

All kickers slump.

ChucktownSteeler

it won't solve all of our problems but you know what? It sends a message....

and I would rather field a team that knows they can't rely on their kicker instead of fielding a team who keep thinking their kicker will get out of his slump and makes excuses after every kick.

^^this. Seriously, it's the excuses that really got me. Really, how hard is it to say "I played really horrible out there, I'll take this loss." Ben did it, do we really think he was the sole reason for the loss? Farrior said it, do we really think it was all his fault? Willie Gay said it . . . do we really . . . OK, bad example. :) Just be fricken humble for a change you insufferable jerk.