PDA

View Full Version : Gay vs Mcfadden who is worst ?

Steelhere10
11-15-2010, 02:43 PM
Me and a co worker is arguing who is worst, what do you think?

Crash
11-15-2010, 02:47 PM
Gay is terrible. McFadden has trouble covering deep passes but is pretty decent on the quick stuff.

SteelCrazy
11-15-2010, 02:56 PM
take your pick.......same problems this year as last

NW Steeler
11-15-2010, 03:49 PM
Gay, by a landslide. At least McFadden made a play on the ball in last nights game. Gay is usually trailing the receiver by 5 yards. Is Keenan Lewis really THAT bad?

CanadianSteel
11-15-2010, 03:53 PM
Gay

Is he really the 3rd best CB in our system?
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Ghost
11-15-2010, 04:11 PM
W Gay. He has the occassional nice play but about 90% of the time he's on the field he's the worst player out there - for either team.

RuthlessBurgher
11-15-2010, 04:17 PM
Both have similar coverage issues, but at least when McFadden allows players huge cushions, he is typically able to come up and make the tackle which is something that Gay was unable to do as well when he played on the outside last year. However, Gay has been able to do more as a nickel corner in the slot this year (he has had some success with nickel blitzes this season).

drprwnap
11-15-2010, 05:14 PM
Neither one is worth a pint of piss

ikestops85
11-15-2010, 05:20 PM
I'm going with McFadden. I don't recall him having even one good game this year. At least Gay has had a few good games. In fact he had a couple of stellar plays against the Ravens down at the goal line. I can't think of any plays by McFadden which I would classify as stellar.

Although I must admit I'm confused by the thread. It's like asking which you would prefer contracting, Syphilis or Gonorrhea.

SteelCzar76
11-15-2010, 06:10 PM
Who's worse ? I think it's a push,..it's like saying whom was worse between Chard Scott and D-lame Washington. I mean,.. a sh#t sandwhich is a sh#t sandwich as far as i'm concerned,..no matter what variation of condiments and or bread is used between the two. :lol:

But on a serious note it's nothing personal,..these guys have lives off of the field and may be great an noble men. But on the field,...they are both amongst the worst of their peers.

And for the record,..it's not the cushions and or zones that are a part of coach Lebeau's system that are failing this defense. It's the lack of talent and speed on the field in regards to the DB's to close distance quickly, make plays on the ball, and cover and run with WR's and TE's.

This can be compensated for when (as i've said many times) you have a front seven that is creating almost superhuman pressure. But if not,..whether it's a matter of injuries and average backups,..or your a team whom just does not have the personnel at all to run it (3-4),....a below average secondary can and WILL be taken advantage of by an exceptional X and O's coach and or exceptional QB's.

Hell,..if the secondary is bad enough, even average Qb's will look great against them if given enough opportunity in terms of attempts.

Chadman
11-15-2010, 06:50 PM
Chadman is somewhat surprised at how far both players have fallen in many regards.

McFadden isn't the same player now that he was in his 2nd/3rd year. He's regressed in many ways- including his apparent confidence in attacking the WR with the ball in the air.

Gay showed promise in his first year. Once he became a starter we saw a dramatic regression- he simply showed up as a non-starting option. But his return to nickle hasn't solved many of his issues. He still struggles mightily.

One wonders if Joe Burnett was really bad enough to cut..

Keenan Lewis & Crezdon Butler will never have a better chance at promoting their status on the player roster than they will this off season.

feltdizz
11-15-2010, 07:14 PM
Both suck... I would say McFadden is worse but Gay was abused last night.

McFadden is better against the run but the guy is flat footed and even with a 10 yard cushion guys run right past him.

The DB coach is the real culprit.... what is he teaching these guys?

jj28west
11-15-2010, 07:45 PM
Last year I was watching the Green Bay/Cardinal playoff game and was witnessing BMAC getting abused as he was in man coverage. Supposedly he was injured and should not have played at all.

In the Steelers defense BMAC plays to his strength --> solid tacking, keeping everything in front, etc. What I guess I am trying to say is he is only as good as the pressure that comes from up front. If the pressure fails, everything becomes a domino effect in exposing a CB of his caliber IMO.

flippy
11-15-2010, 09:24 PM
Gay - Can't tackle

McFadden - Can't cover

Take your poison. I can live with Gay in the slot. And I can live with BMac when there's QB pressure. You can get around their weaknesses. But you gotta pressure the QB.

Shoe
11-15-2010, 10:49 PM
Gay - Can't tackle

McFadden - Can't cover

Take your poison. I can live with Gay in the slot. And I can live with BMac when there's QB pressure. You can get around their weaknesses. But you gotta pressure the QB.

That analysis would be fine, but then how do you explain Gay's inability to run with a 250+ lb. TE? On two of the 3 TE's by this kid, Gay got flat-out beat in coverage (frozen in his tracks by moves by this TE). That is ridiculous.

My answer: Gay, by a significant margin

SteelerNation1
11-15-2010, 10:52 PM
How the hell bad must Keenan Lewis be to not even get a sniff of the field behind these 2?

grotonsteel
11-15-2010, 11:01 PM
Time to play Crezdon Butler...worst case scenario he will give a TD..anyway Gay has been giving TD regularly....so nothin to lose...

SteelerNation1
11-15-2010, 11:23 PM
Time to play Crezdon Butler...worst case scenario he will give a TD..anyway Gay has been giving 3 TD to a rookie TIGHT END !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!regularly....so nothin to lose...
Fixed

Dee Dub
11-15-2010, 11:54 PM
I am in no way saying McFadden and Gay are good...but I will invite any Steeler fan to go back and watch these games over this year (DVR). Count the number of men LeBeau is bringing after the QB more times than not. He is dropping both Harrison and Woodley a lot more than he ever has. If you are only brining 3 or 4 after the QB, it may not matter who your corners are. If you give Scott Mitchell, who couldnt hit water if he fell out of a boat, 6-8 seconds to throw, eventually someone is going to get open.

See the big picture. Just record these games and count the rushers. It is hard to believe what LeBeau is doing.

pittpete
11-16-2010, 12:13 AM
The only time Gay should be on the field is when he is blitzing.
Other wise he is a liability and dont you think Belicheat and Brady knew this coming in.
I dont understand how this guy is still seeing playing time..
Can anyone say Hank Poteat :wft

RuthlessBurgher
11-16-2010, 01:55 PM
I'm going with McFadden. I don't recall him having even one good game this year. At least Gay has had a few good games. In fact he had a couple of stellar plays against the Ravens down at the goal line. I can't think of any plays by McFadden which I would classify as stellar.

Although I must admit I'm confused by the thread. It's like asking which you would prefer contracting, Syphilis or Gonorrhea.

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/300/430/dumbvick_herpes_display_image.jpg?1279179184

NW Steeler
11-16-2010, 02:06 PM
LMAO! THat was the funniest Chappelle skit ever!

RuthlessBurgher
11-16-2010, 02:17 PM

There were too many good Chappelle sketches to count.

The Charlie Murphy True Hollywood Stories of Prince and Rick James were epic. The Wayne Brady Show. The Racial Draft. Playa Hater's Ball (and Time Machine). Mad Real World. Wu Tang Financial. Samuel Jackson Beer. Ask a Black (or Gay) Dude. The Niggar Family. Clayton Bigsby.

Best show on T.V. for those 2 seasons.

AngryAsian
11-16-2010, 03:22 PM

There were too many good Chappelle sketches to count.

The Charlie Murphy True Hollywood Stories of Prince and Rick James were epic. The Wayne Brady Show. The Racial Draft. Playa Hater's Ball (and Time Machine). Mad Real World. Wu Tang Financial. Samuel Jackson Beer. Ask a Black (or Gay) Dude. The Niggar Family. Clayton Bigsby.

Best show on T.V. for those 2 seasons.

I have both seasons on DVD and they never disappoint. The guy was such a talent. I can't think of anybody out there better in situational comedy than Chappelle. One of my favorite lines (you must know which skit this was from)... "All you chinese people with your kung fu and your ching-chong talk, can go back to China... White Power!!!"

Back to the thread topic. McFadden was a huge mistake to bring back, but after Gay's performance in his absence last year, you really can't blame Colbert and Co. We need to bring in the young bucks and start integrating them ASAP (same with our WRs). On another thread Chadman and Brothervad pretty much nailed it. We are in flux... a combination of age, injuries and untalented depth = poor play and poor execution. Gay/McFadden are not the answer, so why not explore the others in our stable. I hope we see a change in the Steeler's culture in that we sit our players for a 2-3 seasons until they're ready. We expedited Woodley's maturation with the departure of Porter and look how he fared. We need to expedite Lewis/Butler how could they possibly be any worse than what we saw from Gay and McFadden?

LouSteel
11-16-2010, 07:48 PM
They are both serviceable nickel/dime corners.

They are simply not starting material.

McFadden should've never been brought back -- we should've invested a high pick for a #2 corner and kept Gay in the nickel. Of the two I'd keep Gay, but only for the nickel.

But what's done is done, I guess. It's too early in the season to give up on McFadden. It's time to work Butler and Lewis in the nickel and see what happens. Maybe one of them can push McFadden, because Gay clearly isn't starting material.

Realistically, if one of the young guys can step up at CB and let us end the season alternating with him & BMAC, I'd say the secondary will be improved. That would also let us know how big of a need CB is in the draft.

RuthlessBurgher
11-17-2010, 12:21 PM
we should've invested a high pick for a #2 corner and kept Gay in the nickel.

Who, though?

Would you have preferred that we take one of the mid-to-late first round CB like Kareem Jackson, Devin McCourty, Kyle Wilson, or Patrick Robinson instead of having Maurkice Pouncey? I sure wouldn't. The improvement from Hartwig to Pouncey is leaps and bounds over whatever improvement any of those guys would be over McFadden and Gay. In the second round, there were no CB's taken in the latter half of that round. The next CB's taken after Worilds were Jerome Murphy, Amari Spievey, and Myron Lewis at the top of round 3. Would any of those guys be starter-worthy as a rookie and a better pick than Worilds in the middle of round 2?