PDA

View Full Version : Reed blames turf

feltdizz
11-15-2010, 09:18 AM
Listening to The Fan online and reed said he has complained about the turf moving for 9 years? Said the turf moved on the first one too. Also said the fans keep focusing on the negative and not the positives. I guess we should ignore the misses and be happy to have him.

I think making FG,s on our field is what set him apart from others. I don't particularly like Reed. He seems to never take the blame for his kicks in a mature manner. Just admit you suck. LOL

Ghost
11-15-2010, 09:22 AM
I'll focus on the positive - I'm positive Reed has the WORST FG completion rate in the entire NFL. I'm positive there is no excuse outside an F5 hurricane to miss the one he missed last night. I'm positive that every time he comes out I have very little confidence he'll do his job.

TD386Steel
11-15-2010, 09:40 AM
All I hear is excuses what does that say about Reed?

Oviedo
11-15-2010, 09:42 AM
See ya Jeff. Won't miss you.

Go get Kai Forbath from UCLA.

frankthetank1
11-15-2010, 09:42 AM
how many seasons has reed been kicking at heinz for? he should act like a man and take some blame.

steelblood
11-15-2010, 09:46 AM
turf is terrible, but reed had misses the last two weeks (on the road) as well.

Tomlinator
11-15-2010, 10:03 AM
I just blame Reed.

SteelBucks
11-15-2010, 10:24 AM
Listening to The Fan online and reed said he has complained about the turf moving for 9 years? Said the turf moved on the first one too. Also said the fans keep focusing on the negative and not the positives. I guess we should ignore the misses and be happy to have him.

I think making FG,s on our field is what set him apart from others. I don't particularly like Reed. He seems to never take the blame for his kicks in a mature manner. Just admit you suck. LOL

I was listening to The Fan online during the week and they asked Reed to grade his performance this year and he actually responded "Average". Unbelievable.

feltdizz
11-15-2010, 10:41 AM
he blamed the media for focusing on the negatives after a loss. LOL

AngryAsian
11-15-2010, 11:01 AM
I can't believe he's not kicking lights out this season, because he'll be unemployed after this season. Like some team will hire someone with the worst field goal percentage and the shortest kickoffs in the league. Oh well, there's always beauty school.

Shoe
11-15-2010, 11:08 AM
He'd certainly be less vilified if he was more mature individual... fans don't want to hear you blame this, blame that--they want you to say, I fd up.

And when you add in the fact, that he appears to have the body of a 50-year old elementary schoolteacher (female) and that his appearance doesn't denote someone who dedicates himself to being a professional athlete (like say, a Daniel Sepulveda--who's very fit), you get no sympathy.

:loser

ikestops85
11-15-2010, 11:09 AM
I always thought we should keep Reed because he was clutch with his FGs. Not any more. Guys usually step it up in a contract year. He seems to have partied his way off the best F'in organization in football.

Buh bye

grotonsteel
11-15-2010, 11:33 AM
Reed needs to go...only problem is he has a franchise tag this year..will Steelers kick him out is the million dollar question???

Next season he should not be there....draft a kicker in the draft or sign a free agent..

feltdizz
11-15-2010, 12:24 PM
and he needs to shave that stupid beard. These guys seem to be more worried about corny hairdo's and locker room idiocy than playing a sound football game.

Ever since Ben returned it seems like we stopped playing with something to prove. Ben can't win games all by himself although fans and media like to think he can. He needs help and these guys aren't stepping up.

sentinel33
11-15-2010, 12:52 PM
i always thought it was odd how the team chastized ben and jettisoned holmes but not a thing was done to the out of control Reed. i didnt want him back this year because of his off field issues and i certainly dont want him back next year not to mention the rest of this year. he doesnt care anymore. not about himself(dude looks like a bum) and not about the team(no accountability). have fun drinking yourself into a 6 foot hole Reed. cause thats exactly what you are gonna do.

steelblood
11-15-2010, 01:35 PM
once again the FO was right not to sign this vet long term.

see ya, skippy. I think there are some pristine paper towel dispensers up in Calgary.

SteelBucks
11-15-2010, 04:22 PM
Here are some of his comments in the post game......

Steelers' Reed says bad turf contributed to missed field goal
Monday, November 15, 2010
Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Jeff Reed, who in the past has refused to publicly knock Heinz Field as a poor place to kick, ended his diplomacy after he missed a 26-yard field goal Sunday night, his seventh of the season, in a 39-26 Steelers loss to the New England Patriots.

And he tossed in a few critical remarks about Steelers fans as well.

"I'm not one to make excuses," Reed began. "I'll take the credit for the miss. It was a great snap, a great hold, great protection. It's kind of hard when you plant your foot and the hole -- a piece of ground moves where the ball's under the holder. I almost missed the ball completely.

"I'm not going to make excuses. If you've played any kind of sports in your life, you realize that what we play on is not very good turf. It happens."

It was the seventh missed field goal attempt this season for Reed, who missed just 10 total in the three previous seasons combined. He is 15 of 22, the most he's missed since he was 20 of 27 for the 2006 season. He only missed more in 2003, his second season with the Steelers when he was 23 of 32.

Reed said he's not in a slump.

"Not at all, man. Some big kicks, I've missed some important kicks. It's sports. It's not an excuse, but it's life. You can't sit here and say, man, you've been an 85 percent here and there and now you're whatever percentage. I've lost track. It hurts me that I don't help this team get points. But percentages are way overrated, and on a night like tonight when I felt great, kicked off well, did everything I was supposed to do and you miss a 20-something yard field goal, everyone wants to focus on that in a game like this.''

Reed's short miss came late in the third quarter with the Steelers behind 17-3. When he next kicked, an extra point following a touchdown early in the fourth quarter, fans in Heinz Field let out a loud, seemingly mock cheer.

Did he notice that reaction from the fans?

"I don't really know what you're talking about, but it doesn't surprise me. If you're not perfect in this city, man, then you're going to hear about it. It's been like that for nine years, and why would they stop now?

"Like I said there's 95 percent of those fans that got my back totally and then 5 percent you always hear. They're right by the kicking net, they were bashing me, but that's life, man, you got to move on. The worst thing for me to do would be to fight back at them.

"They started before the game even started. You know, like I said, they buy tickets just to bash me and Dan [Sepulveda] and Greg [Warren]. It's more me because points come off my foot."

Read more: http://post-gazette.com/pg/10319/110353 ... z15Nth9jSS (http://post-gazette.com/pg/10319/1103534-66.stm#ixzz15Nth9jSS)

Crash
11-15-2010, 04:23 PM
That article didn't mention that he also said he would play here forever if he had the chance.

AngryAsian
11-15-2010, 04:31 PM
Let's hope he doesn't get the chance. The guy is moron, on and off the field. A professional athlete and his physical stature denotes some beer guzzling bar fly.

Ghost
11-15-2010, 04:37 PM
If you were a profesional athlete - wouldn't you want the fans that expected and demanded perfection? He sounds as if he'd prefer playing for Jacksonville, where they routinely have blalck-outs and are constantly the forerunner of teams moving to a new city. :roll:

He had such a cool story - wins the job during open tryouts on a crap weather day in Pittsburgh - to now complaing when the fans expect him to actually make field goals. What a shame.