PDA

View Full Version : SidSmythe's Monday Morning Thoughts

SidSmythe
11-15-2010, 06:32 AM
SIDSMYTHE'S MONDAY MORNING THOUGHTS!!

Since when did we become a Man to Man Team??? - I don't recall the Steelers running man to man this much
- Troy P. is now a 2 deep safety??? That takes him out of run defense and the hook/curl underneath zone.
- IKE obviously can cover, but Gay and McFadden can't.

FOUR MAN RUSH???? - Timmons gets hurt and Foote comes in and they start blitzing???
- Absolutely no pressure from Hood or Eason. That would be ok if they were actually stopping the run

DROPPED PASSES IN THE RED ZONE??? - this IMO is what killed us. Led to a missed FG and then the game got out of hand. We know Ward was out and that didn't help, but where's the TE's in this situation??

BIG PLAY BEN??? - Ben was at his best when he got rid of the ball quickly and in a timely manner. Stop taking sacks on 3rd down and just wing it downfield. What's the worst that could happen??

WHERE'S THE FULLBACK?? - I'm really sick of the Singleback offense. Think about it. A MLB gets to read a play from 5 yards deep against a less agile lineman. If he beats the Lineman it's 1 on 1 w/ the RB. A FB is the great equalizer ... giving the RB someone to make a read off of.

ARIANS SUCKS!!!! 'nuff said!

steelblood
11-15-2010, 08:28 AM

Since when did we become a Man to Man Team??? - I don't recall the Steelers running man to man this much
- Troy P. is now a 2 deep safety??? That takes him out of run defense and the hook/curl underneath zone.

FOUR MAN RUSH???? - Timmons gets hurt and Foote comes in and they start blitzing???
- Absolutely no pressure from Hood or Eason. That would be ok if they were actually stopping the run

DROPPED PASSES IN THE RED ZONE??? - this IMO is what killed us. Led to a missed FG and then the game got out of hand. We know Ward was out and that didn't help, but where's the TE's in this situation??

BIG PLAY BEN??? - Ben was at his best when he got rid of the ball quickly and in a timely manner. Stop taking sacks on 3rd down and just wing it downfield. What's the worst that could happen??

WHERE'S THE FULLBACK?? - I'm really sick of the Singleback offense. Think about it. A MLB gets to read a play from 5 yards deep against a less agile lineman. If he beats the Lineman it's 1 on 1 w/ the RB. A FB is the great equalizer ... giving the RB someone to make a read off of.

we've always played some man and some zone. last night was no exception. they carved up our zone even worse than our man defense.

the TE's? they are blocking in max protect because Scott is terrible.

Hood and Eason were terrible. They could stop the run and were easily blocked in the pass game.

Troy has played a ton of 2 deep safety since Tomlin got here. That got him 7 interceptions a few years ago. The problem right now is he freelances and comes to the line too much. QBs simply throw to the void he leaves open when he guesses. Troy is our most capable DB when he shows good discipline.

when did Ben stop taking sacks?

A fullback might help. But, it isn't happening this season.

BURGH86STEEL
11-15-2010, 10:40 AM

Man, Zone, or combination Brady was on last night. He did a good job getting the ball to the open WR's. Most plays, he had a quick release and that appeared to make it difficult to get to him.

They blitzed when Tiimmons was in the game. The players up front had a difficult time winning one on one match ups. When they won, Brady did a good job getting rid of the ball quickly.

The drops in the red zone hurt the team. There were other mistakes on offense and defense that hurt.

There are times when I think Ben wants to make every play. Sometimes throwing it to the short option and playing for field position will be better. I guess that's the risk with a player like Ben.

I don't have a problem with single back, I formation, or any other offenses. What ever offense or defense they employ, the players need to execute. A couple of times, the RB's made the wrong decisions in pass protection and every Olinemen was beaten at one time or another.

AngryAsian
11-15-2010, 10:55 AM
This game was lost in the trenches. We can blame lack of coverage on D or lack of success sustaining a drive on O... but our D coverage could of been aided with a rattled Brady being crunched frequently and some pass protection for Ben. Our holes on both lines were exploited and we got owned.