PDA

View Full Version : OUTCOACHED.......

Starlifter
11-15-2010, 02:17 AM
look, i get it. players have to make plays. but I don't want to hear any excuses. we simply had no plan on either offense or defense to put our guys in a position to MAKE plays. all week I and others were saying that pats would small ball us. shockingly, they did just that. All week I and others were saying the pats would stack the line against the run and attempt to confuse the two new linemen to get pressure on ben. shockingly, they did just that. all week I and others were saying we needed to develop a scheme to get quick outs, slants etc so that ben wouldn't get pummeled but didn't think BA would stray from his master plan. not shockingly, the steelers used the same playbook from the previous 8 games.

there are many glaring examples to point out here but let me talk about one that really gets to me. On the bomb to wallace where there was pass interference. I was at the stadium and flozell got rolled up on. he was visibly limping down the field. I turned to my wife and said if this next play is a pass flozell will be too slow and have no chance. we need to sprint out left to give ben time to throw. what do we do? straight back drop, flozell totally fans and it's only a miracle play by ben that avoids the sack and he gets a gift to heath. now, that play had a good result but if the friggin offensive coordinator down on the field can't see what an amateur like me sitting 300 yards away can figure out - that speaks volume to his ineptitude. speaking of the offense. 2:48 to go in the first half and two timeouts. run, run, sack punt. what an absolutely embarrassing surrender monkey BA is. for that matter, tomlin too for allowing that to happen. then when we get the ball back with 47 seconds they decide to open it up. I guess the 2:48 simply wasn't challenging enough.

as for the defense. the stats are meaningless. it's easy to hold a runner under 100 yards per game when they don't even try. as I said above, we KNEW brady would dink and dunk us to death. I think it's a pretty poor scheme to rush only 3 to ensure he has plenty of time, but more importantly to give that 10 yard cushion. On his first 3 TD drives, I don't believe brady EVER got to 3rd down. so the question for coach lebeau, are they physically better than us or just smarter?

lastly, I'm sorry. randel el, is not worth even the league minimum. as for mcfadden, every QB who's left on our schedule has now identified their new biatch.

6-3 is still good and I think with our schedule we make the playoffs but when we do we're gonna face some QB's who will dink and dunk and NOT make mistakes. We got big problems.

Djfan
11-15-2010, 02:24 AM
There are volumes about BA's ineptitude already. My best guess is that more will be written soon.

pepsyman1
11-15-2010, 02:26 AM
look, i get it. players have to make plays. but I don't want to hear any excuses. we simply had no plan on either offense or defense to put our guys in a position to MAKE plays. all week I and others were saying that pats would small ball us. shockingly, they did just that. All week I and others were saying the pats would stack the line against the run and attempt to confuse the two new linemen to get pressure on ben. shockingly, they did just that. all week I and others were saying we needed to develop a scheme to get quick outs, slants etc so that ben wouldn't get pummeled but didn't think BA would stray from his master plan. not shockingly, the steelers used the same playbook from the previous 8 games.

there are many glaring examples to point out here but let me talk about one that really gets to me. On the bomb to wallace where there was pass interference. I was at the stadium and flozell got rolled up on. he was visibly limping down the field. I turned to my wife and said if this next play is a pass flozell will be too slow and have no chance. we need to sprint out left to give ben time to throw. what do we do? straight back drop, flozell totally fans and it's only a miracle play by ben that avoids the sack and he gets a gift to heath. now, that play had a good result but if the friggin offensive coordinator down on the field can't see what an amateur like me sitting 300 yards away can figure out - that speaks volume to his ineptitude.

as for the defense. the stats are meaningless. it's easy to hold a runner under 100 yards per game when they don't even try. as I said above, we KNEW brady would dink and dunk us to death. I think it's a pretty poor scheme to rush only 3 to ensure he has plenty of time, but more importantly to give that 10 yard cushion. On his first 3 TD drives, I don't believe brady EVER got to 3rd down. so the question for coach lebeau, are they physically better than us or just smarter?

lastly, I'm sorry. randel el, is not worth even the league minimum. as for mcfadden, every QB who's left on our schedule has now identified their new biatch.

6-3 is still good and I think with our schedule we make the playoffs but when we do we're gonna face some QB's who will dink and dunk and NOT make mistakes. We got big problems.

You're observations are right on the money. I think both of our coordinators were made to look like morons today. I expect BA to look like a moron (cause he is...lol), but for the life of me I can't figure out what's happened to Lebeau over the last 2 seasons. For all the talk of the vaunted zone blitz he created, we are rarely seeing it (or even faking it) and the threat of that blitz is part of what makes our D work.

StarSpangledSteeler
11-15-2010, 02:39 AM
I honestly wonder... When B.A. watches the opposing team's film, what does he do? what does he see? what does he look for? what does he identify? It seems to me he rarely game plans to expose another teams weaknesses. He simply keeps calling the same plays that he "likes" (bubble screen, deep bomb into cover two, that drawn out halfback run with no lead blocker where Mendy slides down the line looking for a cutback lane that never opens then tries to bounce it outside around the DE but loses 2 yards, etc). I am an amatuer fan, but here is what I know. The Pats crowd the box with their LB's. You beat the Pats with quick slants to your TE's, crossing routes to your WR's, and play action deep bombs to Wallace (especially anytime he's 1-on-1). Does B.A. not know this?

Also, DIck LeBeau is a master mind defensive coordinator (give him his props). But when your 3-4 man pass rush is not working you've got to start mixing in a few blitzes. What's the worst thing that can happen if you blitz every down? Your secondary gets torched for 39 points? ... Oh, wait...

Djfan
11-15-2010, 02:48 AM
Does B.A. not know this?

That is correct.

anger 82&95
11-15-2010, 07:31 AM
I honestly wonder... When B.A. watches the opposing team's film, what does he do? what does he see? what does he look for? what does he identify? It seems to me he rarely game plans to expose another teams weaknesses. He simply keeps calling the same plays that he "likes" (bubble screen, deep bomb into cover two, that drawn out halfback run with no lead blocker where Mendy slides down the line looking for a cutback lane that never opens then tries to bounce it outside around the DE but loses 2 yards, etc). I am an amatuer fan, but here is what I know. The Pats crowd the box with their LB's. You beat the Pats with quick slants to your TE's, crossing routes to your WR's, and play action deep bombs to Wallace (especially anytime he's 1-on-1). Does B.A. not know this?

Also, bad word LeBeau is a master mind defensive coordinator (give him his props). But when your 3-4 man pass rush is not working you've got to start mixing in a few blitzes. What's the worst thing that can happen if you blitz every down? Your secondary gets torched for 39 points? ... Oh, wait...Hubris…

Oviedo
11-15-2010, 09:00 AM
What you see on the defense is the result of a coordinator getting elevated to the status of a demi-god. Never held accountable, never questioned, always someone elses fault. Maybe now people will start to realize that what a small minority of us has saying and has been dismissed over for over year is actually true.

1. Our defense is figured out. Just max protect and we will do nothing to change so pick us apart.
2. With so many teams running the 3-4 no one is surprised by anything anymore.
3. Our DBs are mediocre.

ANPSTEEL
11-15-2010, 09:08 AM
What you see on the defense is the result of a coordinator getting elevated to the status of a demi-god. Never held accountable, never questioned, always someone elses fault. Maybe now people will start to realize that what a small minority of us has saying and has been dismissed over for over year is actually true.

1. Our defense is figured out. Just max protect and we will do nothing to change so pick us apart.
2. With so many teams running the 3-4 no one is surprised by anything anymore.
3. Our DBs are mediocre.

this is being way too kind.

I'm not sure what is going on with Troy. I'll give him a pass for services rendered, and possibly not being back to 100% in respect to his knee.

Clark: wtf? seriously. take away his ability to level the receivers, and you have a slow FS who would appears to be out of position regularly.

Gay: useless- should be the dime corner, if even on the field.
McFadden: See Gay. Marginal zone corner, who needs safety help on every play. He's the nickle or dime on a lot of teams.

fezziwig
11-15-2010, 03:44 PM
Heck yeah we are being out coached. Bellicheat out coached Lebeau for years and now he is out coaching Tomlin and Arians. A two year old could out coach Arians but, Tomlin isn't as bad. It would take a a three year old to out coach Tomlin.

When you see Brady laughing in delight along the sidelines, " you know your defense doesn't get to him or can stop him.

Why is Randel El on this team ?

I hope Randel El and Jeff reed are off this team after the season. I also hope Arians is too and you might as well throw Lebeau in the mix because he has never learned how to handle the Patriots and Brady.

Tomlin isn't jack either and these coaches do not know how to use the talent that they have.

Again, why is randell El on this team ?

Leper Friend
11-15-2010, 03:50 PM
Those punts aren't going to fair catch themselves.

Steelers>NFL
11-15-2010, 04:33 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Crash
11-15-2010, 04:36 PM
Troy isn't Troy anymore. It's Timmons who plays the rover and Troy is basically a traditional SS now.

If this is going to continue I would move Troy to FS next year and have him be a ball hawk and send Clark on his way. Troy being a regular SS in this defense is a complete mis-use of his skills.

buckeyehoppy
11-15-2010, 04:45 PM

Cha-ching!... do I hear a cash register opening somewhere?

As a friend so aptly put it last night "ARE waves more than the Queen of England"

pittpete
11-15-2010, 04:53 PM
Wow, I was going to type up a long rant here today to release my frustrations but you guys pretty well summed it up.
One thing Id like to add is the lack of Special teams play on punt coverage.
Is it Sepulveda not getting enough hangtime or are our gunners not getting down there to grab the punt before it rolls into the endzone, which seems to be the norm now.

ikestops85
11-15-2010, 05:07 PM
Wow, I was going to type up a long rant here today to release my frustrations but you guys pretty well summed it up.
One thing Id like to add is the lack of Special teams play on punt coverage.
Is it Sepulveda not getting enough hangtime or are our gunners not getting down there to grab the punt before it rolls into the endzone, which seems to be the norm now.

and I'd like to ask is Supulveda taking lessons from Reed on the benefits of kicking the ball short?

and how does Madison not know he can't be the first one back in bounds to touch the ball? It's not like he has position play to worry about. Hell, he pushed another Steeler out of the way just so he could touch that ball and get a penalty. WTF

ANPSTEEL
11-15-2010, 05:14 PM
Crash- I tend to agree with your idea of moving Troy to FS... with the caveat:

Let him come back next camp, and see how he is moving- health wise. If you recall, he was very open about his knee not feeling completely healed this camp.

If he is healed and still doesn't have the "old Troy" in him- then it is time to move him.

Of course the Challenge here is, who is the SS.

Will Allen?
Ryan Mundy?
Kennan Lewis?

With the new emphasis on protecting the players... Those options might work.

But the reality is that the Steelers scheme really changes if Troy is not Troy.

and more than anything else- that would mean they have to get a legit starting corner opposite Ike next off season.

pittpete
11-15-2010, 05:16 PM
and how does Madison not know he can't be the first one back in bounds to touch the ball? It's not like he has position play to worry about

Wasnt that boneheaded move Keenan Lewis?
The guy who cant get on the field to replace William Gay the human yardage giver upper machine :wink:

birtikidis
11-15-2010, 05:33 PM
and how does Madison not know he can't be the first one back in bounds to touch the ball? It's not like he has position play to worry about

The guy who cant get on the field to replace William Gay the human yardage giver upper machine :wink:
yea, it was Lewis. I figured someone would chew his a$$ out, but it didnt' really happen

ikestops85
11-15-2010, 05:42 PM

I looked it up and you are correct. The penalty was on Lewis. My apology to Madison for the venom that spewed from my mouth in his direction last night. I was not in a good mood at that point in time.

LouSteel
11-16-2010, 07:10 PM
Sunday night, I watched the Pats* make a questionable pass. The TV guys barely got it queued it up for replay before Brady had everyone up at the LOS and ran a play.

THAT is a well coached football team. They recognized the that we might challenge and got a play off before we could.

When was the last time you saw the Steelers run a play before review could be conducted?

When was the last time you saw this team run a crisp, clean hurry-up?

When was the last time you saw either of these coordinators adjust their gameplan to take what was given, instead of running up the middle every first down or constantly giving 10 yard cushions to their WRs?