PDA

View Full Version : Poor clock management....

SteelCrazy
11-15-2010, 12:59 AM
....by BIG BEN!!! If he didnt hold on to the ball for 15 seconds every pass play this game would still be in the 3rd quarter. I swear his desire to hold onto the ball forever makes me see red!!! He has receivers open but he doesnt trust himself or the receivers to make a play.

Yes, the D has major problems too.......

steelblood
11-15-2010, 02:01 PM
I've been to some games in the last 2 years. That is the only way to see if receivers are getting open. Ward, El, and Heath don't get much separation at all. They are all very slow. Wallace has killer speed, but really has to gather himself to come back or cut at 90 degree angles. For my money, Sanders, Mendenhall, and Brown offer Ben the best opportunity to get rid of the ball quickly. But, until Ward got injured we didn't use any of them extensively in the passing game. Using these three underneath with Wallace taking 2 men deep with him will open up everything. Ben can begin to become a rhythm passer, Wallace will have more opportunities, the running game will be better, the screen game will improve, and Miller will be open again. But, most importantly, Ben won't rely on a poor offensive line to hold their blocks for so long.

We need to take a page from the Pats, Colts, and Packers.

AngryAsian
11-15-2010, 02:12 PM
I've been to some games in the last 2 years. That is the only way to see if receivers are getting open. Ward, El, and Heath don't get much separation at all. They are all very slow. Wallace has killer speed, but really has to gather himself to come back or cut at 90 degree angles. For my money, Sanders, Mendenhall, and Brown offer Ben the best opportunity to get rid of the ball quickly. But, until Ward got injured we didn't use any of them extensively in the passing game. Using these three underneath with Wallace taking 2 men deep with him will open up everything. Ben can begin to become a rhythm passer, Wallace will have more opportunities, the running game will be better, the screen game will improve, and Miller will be open again. But, most importantly, Ben won't rely on a poor offensive line to hold their blocks for so long.

We need to follow the lead of the Giants:

Steve Smith: 4th Season

Hakeem Nicks: 2nd Season

Mario Manningham: 3rd Season

Ramses Barden: 2nd Season

These guys are already stellar with regards to route running and knowing the scheme in which they play in. When one drops off, due to injury or extensive coverage... the others pick up the slack. Even with someone as hot and cold as their QB, they collectively run great numbers. And they just didn't magically get there, they were integrated early... if Sanders and Brown are the future, we need to start integrating them now. ARE should be benched.

Dee Dub
11-15-2010, 02:16 PM

Ill tell you what poor clock management is. With 15 seconds left in the half you let 7 seconds tick off before you decide to call a time out. There was doubt whether or not they should spike the ball or call a time out and it took them 7 seconds to figure it out. In that situation the coach has got to know ahead of time whether he wants to spike the ball or call a time out. You cant make that decision after the play. It must be decided before the play ever happens. So as a result the Steelers are left with 8 seconds, a time out left, and the only play available is a Hail Mary.

That my friend is poor clock management. And if you are going to put that on the QBI say then give him complete control over the offense.

BURGH86STEEL
11-15-2010, 02:30 PM

Ben is not a consistently good timing and rhythm passer. I am not sure why he's not been able to become that type of passer. Maybe it's just not his game? If we are going to live with Ben as the QB of the team, gotta take the negatives with the positives.

If we want to be like the Pats, Colts, or Packers we need their QB's.

steelblood
11-15-2010, 03:41 PM

Ben is not a consistently good timing and rhythm passer. I am not sure why he's not been able to become that type of passer. Maybe it's just not his game? If we are going to live with Ben as the QB of the team, gotta take the negatives with the positives.

If we want to be like the Pats, Colts, or Packers we need their QB's.

Totally disagree. If our receivers got better separation and ran more precise shorter routes, we could get the ball out on time. Ben has done it for spurts this year. I'm not saying Ben should never hold the ball to make a play. Hell, he is great at it. But, if we want him to have better rhythm, we need to install a system more conducive to it. The current system is only conducive to him holding the ball. A balance would be nice and it would lengthen his career and take some stress off a poor o-line.