PDA

View Full Version : A look ahead at LEFT TACKLE prospects...

StarSpangledSteeler
11-12-2010, 05:32 PM
For those of you who are college football buffs, I'm wondering what your takes are on the following players?

Joseph Barksdale LSU 65 310
Jason Pinkston PITT 64 305
Benjamin Ijalana VILLINOVA 63 317

Anyone remember watching these guys specifically?

I've heard/read varying reviews on Barksdale but he's looked pretty good to me so far, disproving some of his critics. I don't get the Pitt games but I'm sure some of you might have a good handle on Pinkston? Ijalana looks very fluid and smooth in the clips i've watched, i just haven't seen him against top tier competition.

Any info would be helpful. Thanks.

Dee Dub
11-12-2010, 05:51 PM
For those of you who are college football buffs, I'm wondering what your takes are on the following players?

I've heard/read varying reviews on Barksdale but he's looked pretty good to me so far, disproving some of his critics. I don't get the Pitt games but I'm sure some of you might have a good handle on Pinkston? Ijalana looks very fluid and smooth in the clips i've watched, i just haven't seen him against top tier competition.

I like Barksdale. I think he will be one of the risers come the off season.

StarSpangledSteeler
11-12-2010, 05:59 PM

Agreed. He reminds me a lot of Marvel Smith. Good size, solid technique, and his brute strength will increase over time. I think by the time draft day comes around, he'll be a lot like Roger Saffold. Early second round. Maybe even good value at (dare i say) 1:32?

birtikidis
11-12-2010, 06:09 PM

Agreed. He reminds me a lot of Marvel Smith. Good size, solid technique, and his brute strength will increase over time. I think by the time draft day comes around, he'll be a lot like Roger Saffold. Early second round. Maybe even good value at (dare i say) 1:32?
tackle isn't going to be a huge priority. they seem to like Hills, Foster, Essex, Starks, and Colon. we may draft one, but it won't be to replace starks...

steelerkeylargo
11-12-2010, 06:26 PM
It all hinges on what they do with Colon....in theory we could have Max, Willie and Flozell all healthy next year. Both guard positions could stand an upgrade. Having said that I think a guy like James carpenter from Alabama would be a guy that would be in range at 1/32 if they wanted to go OT. Carpenter has much better feet and isn't the "catch blocker" that Barksdale is.

StarSpangledSteeler
11-12-2010, 06:29 PM

tackle isn't going to be a huge priority. they seem to like Hills, Foster, Essex, Starks, and Colon. we may draft one, but it won't be to replace starks...

I have to disagree on that one. We just lost both our starting tackles, and are unsure of how they how they (Colon, Starks) will recover from surgery. Adams was a stop gap. And Hills (after 2 full years) couldn't even overtake Jonathan Scott in the pre-season. Neither could Essex or Foster. Just because they're on the roster doesn't mean they're left tackle starting material. I think it's highly likely we take a true left tackle somewhere in rounds 1-3.

birtikidis
11-12-2010, 06:35 PM

I have to disagree on that one. We just lost both our starting tackles, and are unsure of how they how they (Colon, Starks) will recover from surgery. Adams was a stop gap. And Hills (after 2 full years) couldn't even overtake Jonathan Scott in the pre-season. Neither could Essex or Foster. Just because they're on the roster doesn't mean they're left tackle starting material. I think it's highly likely we take a true left tackle somewhere in rounds 1-3.
they won't over react over injuries. if they bring colon back they'll let competition decide who starts at RT. And I haven't heard anything that says how serious Starks' injury is. it doesn't appear to be career ending... hopefully it doens't linger like marvel smiths. i could see us taking a tackle in the 2nd. but probably not the first.

StarSpangledSteeler
11-12-2010, 08:48 PM
It all hinges on what they do with Colon....in theory we could have Max, Willie and Flozell all healthy next year. Both guard positions could stand an upgrade. Having said that I think a guy like James carpenter from Alabama would be a guy that would be in range at 1/32 if they wanted to go OT. Carpenter has much better feet and isn't the "catch blocker" that Barksdale is.

Good call. I'll keep my eye on Carpenter from here on out..

birtikidis
11-12-2010, 09:14 PM
I just don't see us going after a position because it's a perceived need (that was my point). I'm not saying we don't NEED one, i just don't think we'll take one where we pick.. especially a LT, because it'll probably be a bit of a reach.

Shawn
11-12-2010, 09:26 PM

Birt you have been dead on lately. I don't see us drafting a LT. If Colon doesn't recover like they would wish then they might draft a RT. Starks is a solid LT...not great but solid. I believe we need to go interior line. OG would be my prediction.

birtikidis
11-12-2010, 09:32 PM

Birt you have been dead on lately. I don't see us drafting a LT. If Colon doesn't recover like they would wish then they might draft a RT. Starks is a solid LT...not great but solid. I believe we need to go interior line. OG would be my prediction.
OG would be my first wish. D-Line would be second. If Pouncey is gone I could see us going NT. I think we can find a good RT in the second round. and that's probably where we should target (2nd or 3rd round).
Sure I'd love to have a stud corner
or a monster Left Tackle
but those guys will be gone.. Why would we reach for a guy at LT or Corner when we can find a guy in the 2nd roudn with the same skill set.. especially when the drop off from the top guard to the next guy down is so great?

steelblood
11-12-2010, 10:46 PM
I don't like any of those dudes too much. Barksdale could be a good LT in a year or two, but he is an average run blocker at best.

I like DeMarcus Love of Arkansas. He is very raw technique wise, but he has great athleticism and good functional strength. You'd probably start him out on the right side or at guard.

I also like Cannon from TCU. Even though he plays LT, I see him as a RG in the pros and a great one. He is 350 pounds, nasty, strong, long arms and would be moderately athletic for a guard. Cannon may also be able to play RT.

papillon
11-13-2010, 07:20 AM

The Steelers won't be unsure of their status come draft time. They will have had time to evaluate the health and capability of all three tackles, Colon, Starks and Adams. As always the Steelers know their players and never reach for talent, they will take BPA at a position that they haven't eliminated. Like last year they eliminated quarterback and TE from the first round, they'll do the same this year, but probably different positions.

Pappy

SteelerOfDeVille
11-13-2010, 03:43 PM
on a side note - i wouldn't be surprised to see an OLB before a Tackle in this draft...

Woodley's unsigned, 49ers claimed Gibson, and you'd have to move Timmons to OLB to fill the void.... i think he's better suited inside.

They've drafted a lot of them under Mikey T...

birtikidis
11-13-2010, 03:53 PM
on a side note - i wouldn't be surprised to see an OLB before a Tackle in this draft...

Woodley's unsigned, 49ers claimed Gibson, and you'd have to move Timmons to OLB to fill the void.... i think he's better suited inside.

Don't forget about Worilds.

SteelerOfDeVille
11-13-2010, 04:03 PM

I'm not... not at all. But, by my math, even with Worilds, that's losing 2 (Gibson + Woodley, assuming Woodley doesn't re-sign)...

SteelCzar76
11-13-2010, 04:19 PM
You guys may think i'm "tripping" here,...but i think if given the opportunity at this point in his career Hills is would perform exceptionally well for us. It's just a gut feeling.

birtikidis
11-13-2010, 04:33 PM

I'm not... not at all. But, by my math, even with Worilds, that's losing 2 (Gibson + Woodley, assuming Woodley doesn't re-sign)...
True, but we won't go after one early. maybe a guy for depth but that's it.

birtikidis
11-13-2010, 04:34 PM
You guys may think i'm "tripping" here,...but i think if given the opportunity at this point in his career Hills is would perform exceptionally well for us. It's just a gut feeling.
I would love to see Hills perform... but my sleeper is gonna be Foster... sure he's play guard now.. but I could see him slipping out to RT when we bring Pouncey in and I could see him playing real well.

SteelerOfDeVille
11-13-2010, 04:48 PM

True, but we won't go after one early. maybe a guy for depth but that's it.
if we lose 'em both, I say round 3 or earlier...

Oviedo
11-14-2010, 10:09 AM
I would love to see Hills perform... but my sleeper is gonna be Foster... sure he's play guard now.. but I could see him slipping out to RT when we bring Pouncey in and I could see him playing real well.

The real sleeper could be CHRIS Scott. The foot injury held him back but I think he could be a RT. Played LT at Tennessee against SEC talent. Has good feet and strength. Not straight line fast but as a RT has enough speed.

grotonsteel
11-14-2010, 12:50 PM

The real sleeper could be CHRIS Scott. The foot injury held him back but I think he could be a RT. Played LT at Tennessee against SEC talent. Has good feet and strength. Not straight line fast but as a RT has enough speed.

:Agree

He has all the physical tools...does he have the will is another question and hopefully Steelers will find it out before the season ends.