PDA

View Full Version : How'd that "4th qtr collapse" happen against the Bengals?

cruzer8
11-12-2010, 12:56 PM
NFL says officials made 2 wrong calls against Steelers
Friday, November 12, 2010
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers have been informed by the National Football League that two penalties that almost cost them in Monday night's victory in Cincinnati should not have been called, the Post-Gazette has learned.

Coach Mike Tomlin sent a complaint to the league office earlier this week, challenging the roughing-the-passer penalty on nose tackle Casey Hampton and a pass interference penalty against cornerback Ike Taylor on back-to-back plays that allowed the Bengals to move to the Steelers 1 in the fourth quarter.

Two plays later, the Bengals scored on a 1-yard run by Cedric Benson to cut the Steelers lead to 27-21.

After Jeff Reed missed a 46-yard field goal that would have given the Steelers a nine-point lead, the Bengals drove to the Steelers 12 and had a chance to win the game until a fourth-down pass to rookie receiver Jordan Shipley was broken up by Taylor and linebacker James Harrison with 34 seconds remaining.

The league informed the Steelers the penalty against Hampton should not have been called because he hit quarterback Carson Palmer on the thigh, not below the knee or to the head, after an incomplete pass.

On the next play from the Steelers 21, Taylor was penalized for pass interference against Terrell Owens, a call that was made by the official in the back of the end zone, not the side judge who was right in front of the play on the left sideline. The league told the Steelers no penalty should have been called.

More details in tomorrow's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

First published on November 12, 2010 at 10:25 am

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10316/11 ... z155WTdl1u (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10316/1102790-100.stm#ixzz155WTdl1u)

Hmmmm.............

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-12-2010, 01:10 PM

The Steelers have been informed by the National Football League that two penalties that almost cost them in Monday night's victory in Cincinnati should not have been called, the Post-Gazette has learned.

Coach Mike Tomlin sent a complaint to the league office earlier this week, challenging the roughing-the-passer penalty on nose tackle Casey Hampton and a pass interference penalty against cornerback Ike Taylor on back-to-back plays that allowed the Bengals to move to the Steelers 1 in the fourth quarter.

Two plays later, the Bengals scored on a 1-yard run by Cedric Benson to cut the Steelers lead to 27-21.

After Jeff Reed missed a 46-yard field goal that would have given the Steelers a nine-point lead, the Bengals drove to the Steelers 12 and had a chance to win the game until a fourth-down pass to rookie receiver Jordan Shipley was broken up by Taylor and linebacker James Harrison with 34 seconds remaining.

The league informed the Steelers the penalty against Hampton should not have been called because he hit quarterback Carson Palmer on the thigh, not below the knee or to the head, after an incomplete pass.

On the next play from the Steelers 21, Taylor was penalized for pass interference against Terrell Owens, a call that was made by the official in the back of the end zone, not the side judge who was right in front of the play on the left sideline. The league told the Steelers no penalty should have been called.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10316/11 ... z155WTdl1u (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10316/1102790-100.stm#ixzz155WTdl1u)

Hmmmm.............

Crikey, it's scary how an entire season can turn on blown calls by the refs. In a sense, it would be better to NOT have instant replay - the pain would be less in cases like this (imagine if we had lost the game, and missed the playoffs by one game).

frankthetank1
11-12-2010, 01:14 PM
those two calls were obviously terrible but if jeff reed makes a 45 yd field goal those two calls are meaningless and the game would have already been decided.

birtikidis
11-12-2010, 01:18 PM
those two calls were obviously terrible but if jeff reed makes a 45 yd field goal those two calls are meaningless and the game would have already been decided.
I think the point was to say that perhaps D. Lebeau and his defense weren't quite as responsible for the near loss as it was the referee's. without those two penalties, we walk away with this game.

cruzer8
11-12-2010, 01:34 PM
I think the point was to say that perhaps D. Lebeau and his defense weren't quite as responsible for the near loss as it was the referee's. without those two penalties, we walk away with this game.

Correct.

proudpittsburgher
11-12-2010, 01:37 PM

Don't forget the fourth-down pass (fumble actually out of Palmer's hane) that went off of a defenders hand, then an arm, and was caught on the run for a first down. But none of that matters, donchaknow . . . Lebeau is old and the defense sucks. :stirpot

feltdizz
11-12-2010, 01:58 PM

Hmmmm.............
nonsense.. refs never make obvious mistakes :stirpot

feltdizz
11-12-2010, 01:59 PM
Ben threw a pick too :stirpot

LordVile
11-12-2010, 02:01 PM
http://www.postgazette.com/pg/10316/1102790-66.stm

Read more: http://www.postgazette.com/pg/10316/110 ... z155mnqI3u (http://www.postgazette.com/pg/10316/1102790-66.stm#ixzz155mnqI3u)

Oviedo
11-12-2010, 02:01 PM
Ben threw a pick too :stirpot

I knew it was Arians' and the offense's fault :stirpot

rpmpit
11-12-2010, 02:05 PM
Good example of how things in the NFL seem to even out over the length of a season. But good teams have the ability to win, despite mistakes being made.

Look at the Miami game - we got a break with Ben's fumble into the endzone. All Miami did afterwards was cry about that play. Hey, maybe score on your final possession and win the game instead of bellyaching about the bad call??

We get two back-to-back calls in the 4th quarter, but still have the ability to purge that from our minds and end the Bengal threat on that last drive.

We are AWESOME!!! :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2

LordVile
11-12-2010, 02:05 PM
Not only did Big Snack hit Palmer on the thigh, but we all saw on the replay that he was THROWN into Palmer, much like KEMO was a few years back. (One would think the stupid Bungles woulda learned from that past mistake) Regarding TO, they weren't going to call a penalty on IKE until TO started throwing a BITTTCH fit to the ref. looked like he was about to beat up on the ref and scared him into the call! lol We wouldn't of heard the end of it on that stupid reality show. ( I removed my last comment, I know how sensitive some of you are) :stirpot

LordVile
11-12-2010, 02:18 PM
would the ref's had apologized if the game went in favor of the Bungles??? I think not :roll:
If we lost the game we'd all be bitchin and moaning and throwing around blame, like we always do :stirpot

Either way, Reed is F'n up

feltdizz
11-12-2010, 02:53 PM
Good example of how things in the NFL seem to even out over the length of a season. But good teams have the ability to win, despite mistakes being made.

Look at the Miami game - we got a break with Ben's fumble into the endzone. All Miami did afterwards was cry about that play. Hey, maybe score on your final possession and win the game instead of bellyaching about the bad call??

We get two back-to-back calls in the 4th quarter, but still have the ability to purge that from our minds and end the Bengal threat on that last drive.

I'm not trying to be a smart azz but the Cincy call didn't cost us the lead. If they called those last 2 flags on Cincy's last drive we would have all cried foul and had pretty good proof to back it up.

I'm not going to give Miami our W but I'm not going to act like their fans didn't have a reason to gripe.

feltdizz
11-12-2010, 02:53 PM
Reed is definitely effin up.

rpmpit
11-12-2010, 02:57 PM

I'm not trying to be a smart azz but the Cincy call didn't cost us the lead. If they called those last 2 flags on Cincy's last drive we would have all cried foul and had pretty good proof to back it up.

I'm not going to give Miami our W but I'm not going to act like their fans didn't have a reason to gripe.

Didn't cost us the lead, but kept them in the game. All I'm saying is that good teams can withstand bad calls better than crappy teams. Good teams find a way to win. Bad teams lose and then cry about bad calls.

cruzer8
11-12-2010, 02:57 PM

QFMFT!

cruzer8
11-12-2010, 02:58 PM
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14586 (http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14586)

feltdizz
11-12-2010, 02:58 PM

Didn't cost us the lead, but kept them in the game. All I'm saying is that good teams can withstand bad calls better than crappy teams. Good teams find a way to win. Bad teams lose and then cry about bad calls.

:Agree

Dee Dub
11-12-2010, 03:08 PM

Yeah LeBeau was much more aggressive in the game versus the Bengals. He played it right. However he is responsible for the loss versus the Ravens. :wink:

What was more of why the Steelers nearly lost versus the Bengals was the 7 straight run plays with 9 minutes left and the opponent having just scored two unanswered TD's. The "lets just try not to lose mentality" on offense. That is more of the reason why.

LordVile
11-12-2010, 03:09 PM
http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14586

Yeah, I realized that the info was posted up already after the fact. Wasn't easy to spot since it wasn't specified in the title of the other thread. but it's all good, no harm.. no foul. besides I get to bump up my standing from BENCH WARMER to something better by posting to myself :HeadBanger :moon :tt2

If there is away to delete threads, I'd like to know how

birtikidis
11-12-2010, 03:17 PM

Yeah LeBeau was much more aggressive in the game versus the Bengals. He played it right. However he is responsible for the loss versus the Ravens. :wink:

What was more of why the Steelers nearly lost versus the Bengals was the 7 straight run plays with 9 minutes left and the opponent having just scored two unanswered TD's. The "lets just try not to lose mentality" on offense. That is more of the reason why.
In that situation I didn't mind it so much. we were using the clock and getting some good yards. i can't remember if that was the drive or not, but didn't been audible into like 2-3 runs (the ones that were more successful?). I don't know if I call pass plays, just because i don't think that LT could have kept been from getting dirty. it was safe.
the ratbirds game.. there was a lot wrong with that game. I gotta think that we win it with ben for sure.

RKSteel
11-12-2010, 03:45 PM

In that situation I didn't mind it so much. we were using the clock and getting some good yards. i can't remember if that was the drive or not, but didn't been audible into like 2-3 runs (the ones that were more successful?). I don't know if I call pass plays, just because i don't think that LT could have kept been from getting dirty. it was safe.
the ratbirds game.. there was a lot wrong with that game. I gotta think that we win it with ben for sure. The 7 straight run plays took 5+ min off the clock. If Legursky doesn't miss his block and redman subs for Mendy, then the Steelers convert that 3rd & 6. If Reed doesn't miss the FG, the Steelers have a 10pt lead.
Remember the Bengals got their last TD, from Ben "throwing" a bad pass instead of taking the sack and punting, then letting the Bengals drive the length of the field. The Bengals get a turnover and a 15yd personnel foul, next play 15yd PF on Big Snack then an endzone PI on Ike.

cruzer8
11-12-2010, 03:58 PM
http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14586

Yeah, I realized that the info was posted up already after the fact. Wasn't easy to spot since it wasn't specified in the title of the other thread. but it's all good, no harm.. no foul. besides I get to bump up my standing from BENCH WARMER to something better by posting to myself :HeadBanger :moon :tt2

If there is away to delete threads, I'd like to know how

No problem, amigo. :)

birtikidis
11-12-2010, 06:08 PM

the ratbirds game.. there was a lot wrong with that game. I gotta think that we win it with ben for sure. The 7 straight run plays took 5+ min off the clock. If Legursky doesn't miss his block and redman subs for Mendy, then the Steelers convert that 3rd & 6. If Reed doesn't miss the FG, the Steelers have a 10pt lead.
Remember the Bengals got their last TD, from Ben "throwing" a bad pass instead of taking the sack and punting, then letting the Bengals drive the length of the field. The Bengals get a turnover and a 15yd personnel foul, next play 15yd PF on Big Snack then an endzone PI on Ike.
yea absolutely. and you gotta think, pass plays with a patchwork line.. i mean damn, we were one player away from having spaeth play tackle... wouldn't have been pretty.

Discipline of Steel
11-13-2010, 11:58 AM
Not only did Big Snack hit Palmer on the thigh, but we all saw on the replay that he was THROWN into Palmer, much like KEMO was a few years back. (One would think the stupid Bungles woulda learned from that past mistake) Regarding TO, they weren't going to call a penalty on IKE until TO started throwing a BITTTCH fit to the ref. looked like he was about to beat up on the ref and scared him into the call! lol We wouldn't of heard the end of it on that stupid reality show. ( I removed my last comment, I know how sensitive some of you are) :stirpot

Why does the NFL not legislate against appeals for a flag? It is so unprofessional and tarnishes the image of the league. In soccer, players can get a yellow card for that kind of crap. If the NFL wants to go global, :roll: they better fall in line. International fans wont tolerate such BS.