PDA

View Full Version : Some "Feel Good" facts

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-12-2010, 09:38 AM
Even though nothing matters except taking care of our own business, it's still nice to think about a few things:

1) We have beat some teams that have some pretty good records - Falcons (7-1 when not playing us) Bucs (5-2 when not playing us), and even the Titans (5-2 when not playing us).

2) The only teams we've lost to have some pretty good records (Ravens 6-3, Saints 6-3), meaning that we have won the games against lesser teams that we should have. Not earthshaking, but last year that is something we couldn't do - GREAT to see that improvement.

3) Oh, and the Saints (one of the two teams we lost to), beat the red hot Falcons (7-2) ... who beat the Ravens, our only other loss this year.

4) We're not the only team that suckily gives up 4th quarter leads (see Ravens letting Falcons go 80 yards in roughly 60 seconds for a come from behind, game winning TD).

So ... "Beat the Cheats" and let's keep on going! :tt2 :tt1

Oviedo
11-12-2010, 10:01 AM
Those are good facts but for that to continue we need to overcome the following fact:

We have given up 123 points this season. Ine the first three quarters of all games (24 quarters) we have given up 60 points. In just the eight 4th quarters we have given up 63.

That last stat is very concerning going forward.

cruzer8
11-12-2010, 11:11 AM
Those are good facts but for that to continue we need to overcome the following fact:

We have given up 123 points this season. Ine the first three quarters of all games (24 quarters) we have given up 60 points. In just the eight 4th quarters we have given up 63.

And yet we're 6-2 and in first place in the division.

*shrugs*

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
11-12-2010, 04:08 PM
Throw out the 6-2...The season starts Sunday night. The Steelers have put themselves in the position they needed to. The last 8 games is what dictates where this team will go. All the 6-2 did was thin out the herd. The Steelers need to go at least 5-3 with a victory over the Ravens & take one more division game from the Bengals or Browns. Mark the Ravens game on your calendar because we are not winning the division without a split. The games against the Pats, Jets, & Raiders could very well be looked at as a "head to head" wild card elimination games. Hopefully, 5 home games to finish will be helpful.

Oviedo
11-12-2010, 04:17 PM
Throw out the 6-2...The season starts Sunday night. The Steelers have put themselves in the position they needed to. The last 8 games is what dictates where this team will go. All the 6-2 did was thin out the herd. The Steelers need to go at least 5-3 with a victory over the Ravens & take one more division game from the Bengals or Browns. Mark the Ravens game on your calendar because we are not winning the division without a split. The games against the Pats, Jets, & Raiders could very well be looked at as a "head to head" wild card elimination games. Hopefully, 5 home games to finish will be helpful.

You accurately describe the situation. At a minimum you have to be 5-3. I think even 4-4 puts you in a dilemma with tiebreakers if you don't have two out of three victories against the Pats, Jets and Ravens.

We were 6-2 last year too before the defensive collapse of the second half of the season finished our play off hopes.

cruzer8
11-12-2010, 05:33 PM

You accurately describe the situation. At a minimum you have to be 5-3. I think even 4-4 puts you in a dilemma with tiebreakers if you don't have two out of three victories against the Pats, Jets and Ravens.

We were 6-2 last year too before the defensive collapse of the second half of the season finished our play off hopes.

And we were 6-2 the season before that and won the whole thing.

*shrugs*

SteelCzar76
11-12-2010, 05:50 PM

Not to mention that we have an offense which is not in the top 10 in Rushing (12th) or Scoring. (16th) And it (Offense) also ranks near the bottom of the league in passing (27th) and Total yards. (28th) :lol:

Perhaps it's just me,...but i think it might be fair to say that were the aforementioned facts about the Backyard Ben, Fast Mendy, JUCO Wideout bunch Offense not the case, ....we would not be in as many 'close' games.

It's hilarious to me how many of the Nation are now talking real slick about the defense completely oblivious to the fact that our offense as a whole more often than not for at least the last three seasons has been one of the most unreliable and inconsistent in terms of scoring in the entire league.

The defense is damn near the sole reason we even won the last two World Titles. They are giving up points late as of last season up until now simply because of suspect DB's. No more,...no less.

And this will not change until your Boy Tomlin decides, "You know what,..this defensive system is one of the best ever devised. I wonder how effective it would be with more than just a single above average DB on the field ? I think i will try this" :lol:

AngryAsian
11-12-2010, 06:29 PM
Not to mention that we have an offense which is not in the top 10 in Rushing (12th) or Scoring. (16th) And it (Offense) also ranks near the bottom of the league in passing (27th) and Total yards. (28th) :lol:

Perhaps it's just me,...but i think it might be fair to say that were the aforementioned facts about the Backyard Ben, Fast Mendy, JUCO Wideout bunch Offense not the case, ....we would not be in as many 'close' games.

It's hilarious to me how many of the Nation are now talking real slick about the defense completely oblivious to the fact that our offense as a whole more often than not for at least the last three seasons has been one of the most unreliable and inconsistent in terms of scoring in the entire league.

The defense is damn near the sole reason we even won the last two World Titles. They are giving up points late as of last season up until now simply because of suspect DB's. No more,...no less.

And this will not change until your Boy Tomlin decides, "You know what,..this defensive system is one of the best ever devised. I wonder how effective it would be with more than just a single above average DB on the field ? I think i will try this" :lol:

The scariest part of the above noted post, is that I agree with most of it. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Everyone talks about individual statistics (Ben's mostly) and how our franchise QB has had such success since BA has been around, but its safe to say that success throughout the season hinges upon balance, which we need to improve in. I think we're on our way there, but the mounting injuries on the line will have to be offset by stellar play and precision execution of flawless schemes engineered by our much beloved OC.

skyhawk
11-13-2010, 12:57 AM
Sorry to tag on late, but this season is looking scarily alot like last season, record wise and upcoming schedule wise. I hope this one is better than a 5 game losing streak.

With all the injuries and Brady on tap, I hope someone can step up on both sides of the football.