PDA

View Full Version : Make your call for Sunday night

Oviedo
11-12-2010, 09:20 AM
Ok, another tough opponent. I have the same apprehension about this game as I did before the Saints game. You have a top QB coming off a very bad game against Cleveland. I also have the same apprehension that our pass defense doesn't know how to stop an offense once they give up on the run and go max protect and commit to the short to mid-range passing game of which Brady is a master.

My inctincts say Pats 31-27 but the fan and eternal optimist in me wants to say Steelers 30-23 with the home crowd being the difference.

I'll go with Steelers 30-23. Hopefully the defense (and Jeff Reed) does not let me down.

proudpittsburgher
11-12-2010, 10:10 AM
I'm sure I will get more nervous about this game the closer we get, but unless the Pats open up their offense and try to stretch the field against us, I can't see them winning this game. In the past, we have been forced to allow them to get some decent runs and underneath passes because they had their share of downfield threats we had to protect against. That isn't the case anymore, at least it hasn't been over the past few games. I can see the Steelers opening up a lead against the Pats and holding on for a, say, 28-17 win.

RuthlessBurgher
11-12-2010, 11:12 AM
I say it goes down similar to our last PlanetSteelers tailgate primetime game against the Chargers last year (which we ultimately won 38-28). In that game, we went up 28-0 in the first half with our most impressive showing of the season against a quality opponent, and then allowed them to come within one score with four-and-a-half minutes to go, just to grate on our collective nerves once again.

AngryAsian
11-12-2010, 11:37 AM
I say it goes down similar to our last PlanetSteelers tailgate primetime game against the Chargers last year (which we ultimately won 38-28). In that game, we went up 28-0 in the first half with our most impressive showing of the season against a quality opponent, and then allowed them to come within one score with four-and-a-half minutes to go, just to grate on our collective nerves once again.

I've had the same vibe all week. I think that this game will not be close and we put a clamp on their high octane offense. We'll be 7-2 post this week and if the Browns can put a magic whammy against the Jets, we'll own the conference.

Steelgal
11-12-2010, 11:42 AM
I've been reading on the Pats forums this week and they are genuinely nervous about this game. First time they've been nervous about playing us in years, it seems. I haven't watched the Pats yet, but they said their D isn't generating enough pressure on the quarterback and fears Ben will tear them apart. Also a loss of Moss is huge for them, even if some don't want to admit it.

I feel better about this game, than I did the Saints only because it's at Heinz. I think it will be a close game.

My prediction:

Steelers - 27

Pats - 24

AngryAsian
11-12-2010, 11:56 AM
I've been watching a lot of Pats* games this season. Their defense is suspect because their LB, CB and Safety tiers are EXTREMELY young. Besides Meriweather, Ninkovich and Mayo, everybody else playing LB, CB or safety is either in their second year or a rookie. I think if BA comes up with a very imaginative scheme, they can exploit this D. But don't be fooled by their youth. The Miami game on Monday night several weeks back showed their explosive takeaway powers.

The thing that worries me most is getting to Woodhead and Welker. They run a lot of screens and 5 yard dumps to these two. If we find a way to shut these two down, we take Brady's favorite targets away. Brandon Tate has basically taken over Moss' routes and I'm confident, Troy and Clark will nullify the deep threat. My main hope in this game is penetration and keeping Brady on his back.... I notice once he's rattled his composure isn't as elite as his admirers say it is under pressure.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-12-2010, 11:59 AM
I will refuse to get excited when we go up 14-0 in the 1st quarter. Then my head won't explode AGAIN when they pull to within 4 points and are driving with 2 timeouts and 2:07 on the clock.

30-24 Steelers. Woodley gets a strip/sack/fumble and Harrison recovers on our 3 yard line.

Woooooooooooooo!

:tt1 :tt2 :Steel :Cheers :Boobs :Boobs :Cheers :tt2 :tt1

ROLROC
11-12-2010, 12:48 PM
We win by 10+.

As long as we pass to set up the run on O. We need to apply plenty of pressure on D. Play a lot of nickel on D with Ziggy at nose- use Worilds as a speed rusher with Woodley and Harrison in as well. BGE/Pats running will do nothing.

SteelCrazy
11-12-2010, 01:05 PM
We run 55-60% in the 1st half and we run 65-70% in the second half. We have a 13 point lead going into the fourth and give up the lead with 1:45 remaining. Reed makes a 38 yd FG to end the game.

Pats-28
Pitt- 30

Oviedo
11-12-2010, 01:55 PM
We run 55-60% in the 1st half and we run 65-70% in the second half. We have a 13 point lead going into the fourth and give up the lead with 1:45 remaining. Reed makes a 38 yd FG to end the game.

Pats-28
Pitt- 30

Not saying it is the best policy but that is definitely putting yourself on the record :wink:

You have more faith in Reed than I do right now.

AkronSteel
11-12-2010, 02:04 PM
Steelers win by double digits in this one!!! Our Strengths are their weaknesses!!! They struggle to rush the passer, they struggle to stop the run and their 3rd down defense stinks (last in the league). Ben is the highest rated QB on 3rd down in the league! They do not have a WR to stretch the field which will allow the D to sit on routes. Welker has done nothing since Moss left!! I just see Mendy having a big day, Ben making plays on 3rd down and the D getting to Brady often!!

Steelers 31
Patriots 13

Oviedo
11-12-2010, 02:06 PM
Steelers win by double digits in this one!!! Our Strengths are their weaknesses!!! They struggle to rush the passer, they struggle to stop the run and their 3rd down defense stinks (last in the league). Ben is the highest rated QB on 3rd down in the league! They do not have a WR to stretch the field which will allow the D to sit on routes. Welker has done nothing since Moss left!! I just see Mendy having a big day, Ben making plays on 3rd down and the D getting to Brady often!!

Steelers 31
Patriots 13

You're starting to convince me, keep it going!!!!!

NW Steeler
11-12-2010, 02:43 PM

Steelers 31
Patriots 13

You're starting to convince me, keep it going!!!!!

I like it too! What a better way to end the week and start the new one with a thorough ass-kicking of the Patsies? Yea-YEAH!!

:tt2

SteelAbility
11-12-2010, 04:39 PM
This one will be close ... I think. They are built to be more effective against our D than most other teams. Their D obviously has problems and they are a very different personality on the road than at home. If we lose it will be because of ineffectiveness getting TDs in the RZ. Nontheless, I'll go with Steelers 21-17.

SteelCrazy
11-12-2010, 05:17 PM

Pats-28
Pitt- 30

Not saying it is the best policy but that is definitely putting yourself on the record :wink:

You have more faith in Reed than I do right now.

Faith wouldn't be he word I'd use, more like rebound. He rebounds after a poor showing, which are coming a lot more often these days.

Djfan
11-13-2010, 06:23 AM
Sorry but this one scares me. Marsha is the queen of short passes with RAC as the focus.

Please D be bigger than my fears!!!

papillon
11-13-2010, 07:09 AM
Steelers: 27
Patriots: 13

Pappy

1st and Goal--
11-13-2010, 07:56 AM
I have been looking forward to this game for several weeks now. The Pats had been on TV quite a lot this year and watching their games I got the same impression most of the other posters here stated, that this could be the year we finally actually beat a Tom Brady QB'd team.

The facts are he is 5-1 vs the Steelers. All week I was waiting for some threads like this and was going to start one called "There has not been enough Tom Brady talk" or something like that. The idea being, what is this, a case of denial? Even though the Steelers did win in 2004, IMO the only game this decade I thought the Steelers were the better team[in games we played them] was in the 2001 season AFCCG.

The facts are we did not have to go to New England in 2005 since they got bounced in Denver. I saw the end of that game. I don't think I ever rooted harder. Not that it wouldn't have been nice and also possible to win in New England, but I liked that outcome better. Incidentally, the Pats did beat the Steelers in Pittsburgh that year 23-20.

In 2008 we crushed them in their house , it was great, and we were on the way to SIX. But Mr. Brady was watching.

Anyway, like I said, I was looking forward to this game fully expecting the Steelers to finally beat the Pats in a convincing manner and with Brady at the helm. Then those freaking sob Browns have to get in the act and mess up my plans.

One other thing there are still some players on the roster who were there in 2001. Hines Ward, Casey Hampton, Aaron Smith (IR) and Brady and Branch were there for the Pats.

As I said at the beginning I was wondering when someone would recap the decade. Well, in yesterday's PG there it is. My take on the article was the Steelers have a lot of respect for the Pats and it is not phony. Worth reading.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10316/1102715-66.stm

1st and Goal--
11-13-2010, 08:10 AM
Oops! Forgot to make a call.

It's going to take some points to win. Steelers get their act together and get 34. 34-17

Discipline of Steel
11-13-2010, 08:19 AM
For those of you predicting 30 for the Steelers....thats counting on 3 FGs :nono

TDs or bust vs these Losers :loser and give them the FGs

35-9 :Beer

Flasteel
11-13-2010, 12:29 PM
I think Brady is going to drop back 45-50 times in this game and just chew us up underneath. Whatever lead we may or may not have entering the 4th quarter is irrelevant. I have zero confidence that we can stop a team with an accurate quarterback, when they are attacking our secondary.

To me, it comes down to whether or not Ben has enough time at the end of the game to engineer a TD drive, while leaving Brady no time to answer. I say TD drive, because I have about as much confidence in Jeff Reed as I do our pass defense...I just don't want to see the game come down to his foot.

Fortunately, I think we can really hammer their defense any way we choose. As long as turnovers or Bruce Arians don't get in the way, I see us finally lighting up the scoreboard.

I'm going with a 34-30 Steelers victory, on a last minute TD drive...in the no-huddle :tt2

SteelCzar76
11-13-2010, 07:47 PM
I want to believe that we blow them out. However,...i think they spread us out and Brady exploits out secondary with Hernandez and Co. And in turn our offense will sputter in terms of scoring.

I also believe that they will be playing with a considerable chip on their shoulders defensively in light of the Cleveland game and come up with a few costly turnovers.

As much as i hate to say it,...

Patsies 24 Steelers 17

Starlifter
11-13-2010, 08:56 PM
I think Brady is going to drop back 45-50 times in this game and just chew us up underneath. Whatever lead we may or may not have entering the 4th quarter is irrelevant. I have zero confidence that we can stop a team with an accurate quarterback, when they are attacking our secondary.

To me, it comes down to whether or not Ben has enough time at the end of the game to engineer a TD drive, while leaving Brady no time to answer. I say TD drive, because I have about as much confidence in Jeff Reed as I do our pass defense...I just don't want to see the game come down to his foot.

Fortunately, I think we can really hammer their defense any way we choose. As long as turnovers or Bruce Arians don't get in the way, I see us finally lighting up the scoreboard.

I'm going with a 34-30 Steelers victory, on a last minute TD drive...in the no-huddle :tt2

I tend to agree with this assessment. bellichick is going to look at which teams had success against us and how they did it. they will look at the 2nd half of the saints game. they will look at the 4th quarter of the bungles. the only way we win is if they foolishly try to establish and stay with the run. If they go spread from the start and dink and dunk us - it could be a long night.

buckeyehoppy
11-14-2010, 01:10 AM
We are NOT losing this game!

Short dump passes are only as good as the RAC. We excel at running those plays down. The Patophiles will have a hard time getting that kind of game going v. the Steelers.

Also need to see Ben set the tempo for the game... and keep it there! There's nothing wrong with shoving a cleat into the other guy's throat when he's down. Ben needs to learn this when he gets an early lead. Coupled with Mendy, our O should be a force v. the Patophile D.

Final score: Steelers 35, Patophiles 14. Keep Skippy's @$$ on the sidelines for this prime time win!

stlrz d
11-14-2010, 01:28 PM
27-20 Steelers

BradshawsHairdresser
11-14-2010, 06:40 PM
Steelers narrowly avert another collapse. They build a 17 point lead, but the *'s take them to overtime, where Skippy kicks the game winning FG.

sentinel33
11-14-2010, 07:07 PM
With starks and kemoeatu out Bens left side is really exposed. that, to me, is real scary. they will dial up some defensive pressure on that side and we will see waht scott is made of. this is an opportunity for him to assert himself on this team. this will be key.
an additional point here is will we lose this game because of penaltys. 2 new players at key positions on the line? the fans at heinz field better be on there game.
I certainly dont want the game to come down to reed. he brings a weak attitude and performance into this season just because he didnt get a new contract. Woodley is in the same boat and hes playing like THE MAN that he is. Boot reed. and if he is a factor in this game, it wont be to help us to a victory.
Never the less, this game is way to important for us to lose and the team knows this. this is mendenhalls game. and its perfect because of there weakness against the run.

We are behind at half. we take the lead in the fourth and our defense comes up with a big turnover near the end and mendenhall ices the game.

20-16 Steelers in a nail-biter.

Djfan
11-15-2010, 02:33 AM
Sorry but this one scares me. Marsha is the queen of short passes with RAC as the focus.

Please D be bigger than my fears!!!

The D wasn't bigger than my fears.