PDA

View Full Version : In a pinch, Polamalu can be running back

fordfixer
11-12-2010, 02:49 AM
In a pinch, Polamalu can be running back

By: Mike Bires
Beaver County Times
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sport ... -back.html (http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1373/2010/november/11/in-a-pinch-polamalu-can-be-running-back.html)
Thursday November 11, 2010 11:54 PM

PITTSBURGH — If one more Steelers running back would have gotten hurt Monday night, Troy Polamalu may have been called upon to carry the football.

“Troy is always our emergency running back,” offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said.

In the 27-21 win in Cincinnati, backups Mewelde Moore and Isaac Redman were sidelined with concussions. Moore left the game in the second quarter, Redman in the fourth.

Because rookie Jonathan Dwyer was a game-day inactive and not in uniform, the Steelers were down to just one running back.

If Rashard Mendenhall would have gone down, it would have been Polamalu, the all-star safety, who would have gone in at running back.

“Definitely,” said Polamalu, who played running back and defensive back in high school. “I practiced at running back during our bye week. It was nice. It was fun.”

Throughout his career, Polamalu has showed his talents running with the football after intercepting passes or recovering fumbles.

“That’s true, but it would be a different story if I had to run against real defenders,” Polamalu said.

Because of injuries on the offensive line in the win over the Bengals, the Steelers were also down to five O-linemen in the second half.

“There was a lot of scrambling going on along that sideline Monday night,” Arians said. “We had (tight end) Matt Spaeth getting ready to play tackle and we were getting Troy ready to play running back.”

The good news for the running back situation is that Moore and Redman both practiced Thursday. So they will probably be in uniform Sunday night when the Steelers (6-2) host the New England Patriots (6-2).

In other injury news, defensive end Brett Keisel (hamstring), guard Chris Kemoeatu (knee, ankle) and tight end Heath Miller (knee) missed practice. It’s doubtful that Keisel and Kemoeatu will play Sunday night against the Patriots. Miller could be back at practice today.

And even though Doug Legursky moved into the left guard spot when Kemoeatu was hurt in Cincinnati, he may not be the starter against the Patriots. It appears that the Steelers are leaning toward starting Ramon Foster, who didn’t dress the past two games.

LordVile
11-12-2010, 03:23 AM
yeah, i'd prefer Foster 2 Legursky.. He's been serviceable in the past :2c

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-12-2010, 09:14 AM
How's Foster's ankle? I wonder why they dressed Legursky instead of him.

Oviedo
11-12-2010, 09:28 AM
The last thing in the world I would want to see is Troy at RB getting his previously concussed head hammered as a RB. Put ARE or Ward back there but not Troy.

Starlifter
11-12-2010, 09:49 AM
actually, this again (to me) demonstrates just how whacked out BA is. Are we so committed to the run and afraid to put the game in Ben's hands that we're willing to risk our pro-bowl, dare I say injury prone, potential HOF safety by putting him in a position he has never once played in the NFL? What, Troy is going to run single back and dive up the middle? Jesus tap-dancing christ. Run a 4-wide set! quick hits and slants. a two yard pass to a receiver followed by YAC can be just as effective. At a minimum simply put spaeth in the backfield as an additional blocker and throw every friggin down. There's nothing wrong with that, Ben has shown he can do it - particularly when a Superbowl is on the line. Do our coaches somehow think we're incapable of that type of offense? Do we not have a diverse enough playbook to allow us to be a pass-only team in an emergency such as this? If so, shame on the coaches.

Now to be fair, this isn't just a BA issue. If troy ended up playing RB I would seriously question Mike Tomlin's football sense......

RuthlessBurgher
11-12-2010, 10:19 AM
How's Foster's ankle? I wonder why they dressed Legursky instead of him.

Legursky dresses ahead of Foster because of his versatility to be able to back up both center as well as guard (and he had to do both of those last game).

SteelAbility
11-12-2010, 10:43 AM
At this injury rate we may end with ...

Troy at RB
David Johnson at OL
Keyaron Fox at FB

We could also upgrade our kicker by using Casey Hampton. :P

RuthlessBurgher
11-12-2010, 11:06 AM

Troy at RB
David Johnson at OL
Keyaron Fox at FB

If Ndamukong Suh can do it...

(actually, Suh missed his only extra point try, but he looked pretty good doinking it off the right upright!)

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2010/football/nfl/11/07/suh.kicks.ap/ndamukong-suh-ap.jpg http://media.kansascity.com/smedia/2010/11/07/23/x_Suh_kick_1108_11-08-2010_EF1IAFLA.standalone.prod_affiliate.81.jpg

RussBII
11-12-2010, 11:07 AM

Troy at RB
David Johnson at OL
Keyaron Fox at FB

I would assume our FB spot would remain unfilled...

Sugar
11-12-2010, 11:11 AM
Does anyone think that Troy would be getting much in the way of carries? He might block some and get some slants out of the backfield. He's an emergency backup- nobody actually wants to use him as a RB. Much in the same way that nobody wanted to use ARE as a QB earlier in the year when our QB's were dropping like flies.

SteelAbility
11-12-2010, 08:08 PM

Troy at RB
David Johnson at OL
Keyaron Fox at FB

I would assume our FB spot would remain unfilled...

This is a BA offense. No FBs allowed. :wink:

Djfan
11-13-2010, 11:00 PM
Does anyone think that Troy would be getting much in the way of carries? He might block some and get some slants out of the backfield. He's an emergency backup- nobody actually wants to use him as a RB. Much in the same way that nobody wanted to use ARE as a QB earlier in the year when our QB's were dropping like flies.

Troy would be a great John L. Williams v. II.