PDA

View Full Version : Pouncey making a strong impression

fordfixer
11-12-2010, 02:42 AM
Pouncey making a strong impression

By Teresa Varley - Steelers.com
http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... 1d59cb130f (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Pouncey-making-a-strong-impression/658af61a-8ffb-4bd3-aef8-ea1d59cb130f)

Rookie center Maurkice Pouncey has impressed many with his play just eight games into his career, from his teammates to those who have to prepare to face him on Sundays.

He really is something special, said quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. He is as good as it gets, Ill tell you that much.

Those who play alongside him on the line are impressed with his ability to make the calls on the line, showing leadership and knowledge that rookies dont always possess.

You have to have the brains and football knowledge, said guard Trai Essex. I think that is what he has shown. You know what he has physically. To be an effective center you have to have the mental aspect and that is the most impressive thing. No matter what defense is thrown at him he has been on his game and hasnt made too many mental errors at all this year. He has been able to roll with the mental aspect of the game. He has been great at it.

New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick has seen Pouncey on film and has been impressed.

Hes played a lot for them, said Belichick. Hes like any young player a talented, young player - you see some things that are impressive, said Belichick. Hes athletic. Hes strong. He plays with good technique. There are certainly things, experience wise, that Im sure hes learning every week and every day. Hes done a good job for them and Im sure he will continue to get better because I know he is a hard worker, a tough kid. Hes shown that he can compete at this level no question about that and I think hes getting better. Hes like every rookie: there are things that Im sure hell be better at in time than he is right now, but hes certainly very competitive right now.

Patriots quarterback Tom Brady is on the teams injury report this week, listed with a shoulder and foot injury. He missed practice on Wednesday and participated in a limited basis on Thursday, but Steelers players expect him to be on the field Sunday night.

He is going to play, said Chris Hoke. He is going to be out there playing whether he just practices on Friday or doesnt practice at all and just shows up on Sunday. He has been in that offense for so long he can run it from the back of his hand. He is going to be out there.

Injuries came close to forcing the Steelers to use two players out of position when they played the Cincinnati Bengals.

There was a lot of scrambling on the sideline, said offensive coordinator Bruce Arians. We had Matt Spaeth ready to play offensive tackle.

And after running backs Mewelde Moore and Isaac Redman both suffered concussions in the game, the team almost had to go to an unlikely source to play running back when they got down to just one healthy back in Rashard Mendenhall.

We were getting Troy (Polamalu) ready to play running back, said Arians. It comes down to that sometimes. On our last drive we had one running back. He is our emergency running back.

After three games on the road, players are looking forward to being back at Heinz Field this week.

I am excited to be home, not to travel, said Hoke. That Saturday is always a long day before a game. You come in here in the morning, you have to travel and you are at the hotel. It will be nice to be able to spend Saturday at home.

It will be nice to have the home crowd and have Steelers Nation cheering for us, even though on the road we have had some good crowds.

Discipline of Steel
11-12-2010, 07:52 AM
So it was Matt Spaeth getting ready to go in at OT! I thought maybe it would be Hoke...

steelblood
11-12-2010, 08:53 AM
Troy at running back scares me a bit. He has a history of concussions and the last thing we need is to lose him for the rest of the season. I'm glad that didn't happen.