PDA

View Full Version : Anyone catch SI's NFL Passing article last week..?

NorthCoast
11-11-2010, 08:23 PM
A good article on "The Art of the Pass" in the NFL. Some tidbits:

Bradshaw had one of the strongest arms in the NFL ever. Some claim there was none stronger than Sammy Baugh (don't know, never saw him play).

Something else caught my eye: Matt Schaub stated "so many passes now in the NFL are based on faith. You throw an 18 yd pass between the numbers and the hash marks, you have to trust that your receiver will be there."

The best "anticipatory" passer in the league? According to Aikman, it's Brady. (Marino was also mentioned, and I would have to agree with that one. The guy was uncanny in the quick release.)

Others will argue but I think this "faith" is something Ben struggles with. He throws very few passes based on timing or to a spot the WR is supposed to get to. It is the reason he holds the ball a lot of times. Is this a bad thing?, maybe not but taking a lot of hits in the pocket will likely shorten his career.

BURGH86STEEL
11-11-2010, 08:34 PM

Bradshaw had one of the strongest arms in the NFL ever. Some claim there was none stronger than Sammy Baugh (don't know, never saw him play).

Something else caught my eye: Matt Schaub stated "so many passes now in the NFL are based on faith. You throw an 18 yd pass between the numbers and the hash marks, you have to trust that your receiver will be there."

The best "anticipatory" passer in the league? According to Aikman, it's Brady. (Marino was also mentioned, and I would have to agree with that one. The guy was uncanny in the quick release.)

Others will argue but I think this "faith" is something Ben struggles with. He throws very few passes based on timing or to a spot the WR is supposed to get to. It is the reason he holds the ball a lot of times. Is this a bad thing?, maybe not but taking a lot of hits in the pocket will likely shorten his career.

I agree that it's not one of Ben's strong areas. Not sure if he trusts the WR's or not. There were times that he's thrown the ball well in those situations. The consistency is what's lacking.

jj28west
11-11-2010, 08:40 PM
I hate to admit this but Peyton/Harrison & Aikman/Irvin were some of the best tandems when it came to throwing to a spot before the receiver would make his break.

papillon
11-11-2010, 11:09 PM

Put yourself in Ben's shoes this year and answer the following question: Which of the Steeler receivers would you trust to be open on an 18 yard out, 18 yard in route or 18 yard curl? Now you probably understand why Ben doesn't seem to have faith in his receivers. They can get open, but they need Ben to improvise to give them time to get open.

Wallace is running such deep patterns and with his speed if Ben waits too long Wallace outruns his arm. Randel El and Ward are struggling to get off the LOS and get separation. Right now the Steeler passing offense has to wait for the WRs to get open or Ben has to improvise.

Pappy

proudpittsburgher
11-12-2010, 10:24 AM
I hate to admit this but Peyton/Harrison & Aikman/Irvin were some of the best tandems when it came to throwing to a spot before the receiver would make his break.

There is bad that comes from this as well. When Manning and the WR are not on the same page on these faith-based routes, he throws picks where there isn't a reciever within 10 yards of the ball.

feltdizz
11-12-2010, 12:02 PM

There is bad that comes from this as well. When Manning and the WR are not on the same page on these faith-based routes, he throws picks where there isn't a reciever within 10 yards of the ball.

and our WR's aren't as fluid as the Colts...

proudpittsburgher
11-12-2010, 12:31 PM

and our WR's aren't as fluid as the Colts...

The last time I remember a Steelers quarterback who threw to a spot where the reciever was supposed to be, it didn't turn out too well.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2010/0122/nfl_g_brown1_sw_200.jpg

Oviedo
11-12-2010, 12:39 PM

Put yourself in Ben's shoes this year and answer the following question: Which of the Steeler receivers would you trust to be open on an 18 yard out, 18 yard in route or 18 yard curl? Now you probably understand why Ben doesn't seem to have faith in his receivers. They can get open, but they need Ben to improvise to give them time to get open.

Wallace is running such deep patterns and with his speed if Ben waits too long Wallace outruns his arm. Randel El and Ward are struggling to get off the LOS and get separation. Right now the Steeler passing offense has to wait for the WRs to get open or Ben has to improvise.

Pappy

I totally agree. Hines and ARE cannot get separation which is why the hot routes, which require faith, are not working. They need to get Sanders in there in place of ARE. If they do not we are going to have a pedestrian passing game all season long.