PDA

View Full Version : Close win over Cincinnati

steelnavy
11-11-2010, 06:10 PM
Apologies for rehashing this...

I must be from another planet because I just can't grasp the numerous statements bemoaning how the defense almost LOST the game for the Steelers.

The D gave up 7 points in the first half and the O put 27 on the board. Both sides did very well. In the second half, the D gave up 14 points and the O SCORED NOTHING, but somehow, the D is fading again and its all Lebeau's fault. Why is BA given a bye and all the blame going to Lebeau? Why is the D expected to continue to keep every opponent out of the endzone in the 2nd half while the O doesn't get bashed for sucking during that time frame?

Read the posts and tell me who is getting most of the blame. Makes no sense.

And BTW, the D is still ranked near the top in the NFL while the O wallows near the bottom, but somehow its D!ck's fault every week.

NorthCoast
11-11-2010, 08:58 PM
It boils down to what each team does with their opportunities.

The Steelers are 25th in the NFL in 3rd down conversion percentage at 35%. This is actually down from last season. Meanwhile, they are allowing opponents 36% conversion. The Steelers are 16th in no. of plays allowed per game (62.8), which is more than last season's 60. More stunning, we are dead last in no. of offensive plays per game at 55.6, down almost 10% from last season. So this vaunted running game that is supposed to close games out seems to not be working out too well. We are giving our opponents too many opportunities late in games. NFL teams are too good to allow this and win consistently.

Opponents are attempting 10% more passes per game this season vs last. We are allowing opponents 20% more pass completions, but it is the dink and dunk because the defense is 3rd in the league in fewest yds per completion at 9.5 yd/pass (actually better than last year). Maybe I am one of the few but I actually think our pass defense has improved quite a bit from last year. Teams have pretty much abandoned the run on us, we are No. 1 in rush attempts allowed and rushing yards allowed, and rushing yds per attempt.

AkronSteel
11-11-2010, 09:39 PM
All that matters to me is that last year we couldn't finish the game in Cincinnati. This year we did finish the game in Cincinnati!! Whether the team gave up some points late or what not....it doesn't really matter!! A win is a win!!! We are 6-2 and have 5 home games left and are 3-1 on the road!! I see no less than 12 wins on the schedule and this team will make a deep run into the playoffs! That is all we can ask for!!! Perfection doesn't happen too often, so I'll take what I can get! This team is as good as any in the league and they will compete for #7....as for me, I'll enjoy the ride!!! Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go!!

:tt1

proudpittsburgher
11-12-2010, 09:56 AM
It boils down to what each team does with their opportunities.

The Steelers are 25th in the NFL in 3rd down conversion percentage at 35%. This is actually down from last season. Meanwhile, they are allowing opponents 36% conversion. The Steelers are 16th in no. of plays allowed per game (62.8), which is more than last season's 60. More stunning, we are dead last in no. of offensive plays per game at 55.6, down almost 10% from last season. So this vaunted running game that is supposed to close games out seems to not be working out too well. We are giving our opponents too many opportunities late in games. NFL teams are too good to allow this and win consistently.

Opponents are attempting 10% more passes per game this season vs last. We are allowing opponents 20% more pass completions, but it is the dink and dunk because the defense is 3rd in the league in fewest yds per completion at 9.5 yd/pass (actually better than last year). Maybe I am one of the few but I actually think our pass defense has improved quite a bit from last year. Teams have pretty much abandoned the run on us, we are No. 1 in rush attempts allowed and rushing yards allowed, and rushing yds per attempt.

See, that's why I don't get caught up in all of the stats. You say it boils down to what each team does with it's opportunities, then start to break down the Steelers failures. Yet, we are 6-2. People who stand behind the stats . . . and I am not necessarily referring to you, NC, just using your post as an example . . . always say it helps to better understand the game. They continue to rail on Ariens and sometimes even Tomlin, say how Ben does this wrong, talk about how the defensive schemes are too predictable and how Lebeau is too old, yet we are 6-2 with wins over Atlanta, Tennessee to name a few of the more impressive wins, and continue to be No. 1 on a lot of power polls around the league. Sometimes, we break it down too much, IMO.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-12-2010, 10:27 AM
I think stats are too easily taken in isolation, have some usefulness going forward, but can't compensate for heart and will. The stats would have predicted the Bengals would have scored on their last series, but our players had something to say about that!

Even using stats straight up can be difficult. For example, people are passing more on us this year, I guess that is a stat. But is that because our running D is so good, or our passing D is so poor? The stats can't answer that, but the difference in emphasis is enormous.

BTW - we've read and heard how our D gives up a huge percentage of its points in the 4th quarter. Has anyone seen a graphic of our scoring by quarter? My gut tells me that this is heavily front-loaded as well, but I don't know for sure.