PDA

View Full Version : Mid-season projections for the elite off-season teams

HardlinerKC
11-11-2010, 11:45 AM
I thought it a good time to check back in here with some views of various teams at the midway mark and look ahead to the post-season along with some sage (maybe) comments on how the AFC is shaping up. An outside/in approach, if you will.

I'm going to boil it down this way:

The top 4 seeds at season's end and why

The contenders who could yet become elite

The pretenders who will most likely fade down the stretch

First up, the PRETENDERS:

Chiefs. Let me get this one out of the way early. Much progress has been made in the 2d full season under the new leadership of Pioli/Haley. Owner Clark Hunt blew the team up after the 2008 season and the shrapnel is still landing, meaning, still key parts missing to get the team back to a legit post season threat. Dire need of a blazer WR that can take the top off the defense. This should be the top priority in the off-season, along with a pocket crushing NT to anchor the 3-4 defense. Other needs include getting younger on the Oline and a pass rushing DE or OLB to complement Hali.

Raiders. Lots of team speed but still prone to make dumb mistakes and draw too many penalty flags.

Texans. Until they get consistency out of their QB, this team will continue to be like a high powered sports car stuck in low gear.

Bengals. Read Texans remarks.

Dolphins. Same deal

Chargers: The "Norv factor". Enough said.

CONTENDERS:

Titans, Patties

FINAL FOUR:

Steel. Well balanced team with excellent coaching. No glaring weaknesses apparent to the casual (me) observer.

Ravens. The continuing maturation of Flacco coupled with their traditional stingy defense makes this a team to reckon with .

Jets. Lots of talent all around although I'm not sold on Sanchez as a quality NFL type QB which could bite them when it counts most.

Colts. Injuries have slowed the pony express but they still have a healthy and productive Manning which means they'll be in every game.

OK, that's my take. What say you?

NW Steeler
11-11-2010, 02:50 PM
I agree with your assessment. Your pretenders are all dangerous teams though. Baltimore seems the most balanced of all the teams. Snatchez will not take the Jets to the SB. Not yet. He is inconsistent. AS are the Pats as a team. We will find out what they are all about this Sunday night. The Steelers have the experience and know how, but injuries could derail us from #7. This is going to be an interesting year, as there is not a single dominant team.

papillon
11-11-2010, 11:17 PM
The Chiefs don't look like pretenders to me, they're fast, they're physical and appear to be well coached as well. They gave one away to the Raiders, it happens. I'm liking the Chiefs to win the AFC West.

I don't like the Jets as a contender. Their offense struggled early, then played well and the last two games have been bad. I like the Chiefs better than the Jets.

Pappy

SidSmythe
11-12-2010, 06:45 AM
For the Record, I picked the Chiefs to win their division.

Of course I offset that brilliant prediction by jumping on the Niners and Texans bandwagons.

RuthlessBurgher
11-12-2010, 11:19 AM
For the Record, I picked the Chiefs to win their division.

Of course I offset that brilliant prediction by jumping on the Niners and Texans bandwagons.

I picked the Niners to win their division and the Texans to win a wild card. I actually picked Oakland to win the AFC West, and Miami to win the AFC East.

Pretty good with other picks (Steelers win the AFC North with Baltimore as a wild card, Indy to win the AFC South, Giants to win the NFC East, Packers to win the NFC North, Falcons to win the NFC South with New Orleans as a wild card).