PDA

View Full Version : Veteran's Day

D Rock
11-11-2010, 09:13 AM
Let's all take a break from thinking about the steelers for a moment and thank our veterans, both on this board and around the world.

THANK YOU!

http://www.nyu.edu/src/images/veterans_day.jpg

Oviedo
11-11-2010, 09:44 AM
You're welcome :D

drprwnap
11-11-2010, 10:06 AM
The older I become, the more THANKFUL I am to all our Veterans. It is through their service and sacrifice that we enjoy the freedom in this great country.

THANK YOU :Bow :Bow :Bow

Starlifter
11-11-2010, 10:11 AM
I hope this doesn't sound cheap, but my wife and I are planning lunch at applebees and dinner at outback! wooooooo!

thank you very much!

Oviedo
11-11-2010, 10:15 AM
I hope this doesn't sound cheap, but my wife and I are planning lunch at applebees and dinner at outback! wooooooo!

thank you very much!

We have the same idea!!!!!

flippy
11-11-2010, 11:03 AM
Thanks to all.

I was just wondering what changed where today there's universal respect for veterans. But when guys came home from Vietnam, no one really cared about them.

Is it the popularity of the wars? Is it the impact of 9/11 happening on US soil?

I was just curious and really haven't been able to figure out the change in sentiment.

And if you think about it, many of the guys who went to Vietnam got drafted and didn't have a choice. Todays military men and women do have a choice. So I have to assume many of the Vietnamers didn't want to go. Or they weren't as prepared mentally as those that choose the military today. So it's almost like those older guys got a double whammy.

Todays guys get their college paid for and is a reason for many to enroll. There's more to be gotten out of the military today. The older guys kinda got shafted compared to todays guys. But we respect todays guys more. It doesn't make sense.

No disrespect is meant to todays guys and gals by what I said. I just feel bad for the way these folks used to get treated. So while I'm thankful for the young vets. I'm more thankful for the older vets today.

Aw, heck, I'm thankful for all yinz. But yinz know what I mean. I think.

Starlifter
11-11-2010, 11:24 AM
my opinion only.

the regard held for todays veterans is to a large extent, the result of a hard lesson learned from the vietnam era. As to the popularity of war, it is directly related to our performance in it. Vietnam didn't start out unpopular, nor did Korea for that matter. Long wars that result in large american losses do however. While WWII was long and costly in terms of american lives, you had a media that was working to keep public opinion strong and while there were occasional setbacks, the U.S. methodically beat back the enemy from the time we entered. Everyone loves a winner! Times have changed since then and the days of armies on the field (against us at least) are for the most part over. Insurgency and terror appear to be the strategy of choice. As I've said for years, the modern U.S. can't be beat on the battlefield. The only way we lose wars is when the enemy and the media work in tandem to break the will of the american people - and we leave of our own accord.

back to your original question however - while it's true there are incentives these days to pursue a military career, it's been my experience the vast majority of service men and women do so first for love of country. The veterans of the Vietnam era have paid a huge price both during and after that war so that our nation can mature in it's treatment and respect of veterans. There is nothing wrong in opposing a war. We've learned however the target of that opposition is not the soldier who's simply trying complete the mission while desperately hoping the fire I'm taking won't kill me or compel me to order my crew to bailout over enemy territory - rather it's to the politicians who put us in jeopardy. War is ALWAYS a political statement. The soldier is simply the mechanism.

Thus endeth my sermon, I shall finish with the usual...........Bruce Arians sucks....
:tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1

BradshawsHairdresser
11-11-2010, 11:32 AM
I'm not a veteran, but I am going to give EXTRA business to both Outback's and Applebee's in appreciation of their support for those of you who served.

And, from this house, to ALL of you who put your lives on the line for our country:
:Bow :Bow :Bow :Bow :Bow :Bow :Bow :Bow :Bow :Bow :Bow :Bow :Bow :Bow
THANK YOU!

Flasteel
11-11-2010, 11:40 AM

thank you very much!

We have the same idea!!!!!

Me too! Applebees anyway. :D

Bruce Arians sucks :tt2

papillon
11-11-2010, 02:49 PM
First and foremost thank you to the veterans all around globe and to those here at home in the USA. As Jack Nicholson (A Few Good Men) said (paraphrased), "You sleep under the very blanket of security that we provide." I appreciate it very much, thank you.

My dad is a WWII vet and I can't really get much out of him, other than, "It's what had to be done, we went and did it, it was ugly, but we did it." Almost every WWII vet I know has the sane sentiments, they don't want congratulated or adored, only respected and they did what they had to do. They also don't like to talk about it and my dad won't tell me why, so, I've stopped asking. I believe after all these years he'd still like to just wish it never happened and forget about it.

WWII vets - The greatest generation (and, with good reason)

Pappy

birtikidis
11-11-2010, 02:57 PM
Thanks to all.

I was just wondering what changed where today there's universal respect for veterans. But when guys came home from Vietnam, no one really cared about them.

Is it the popularity of the wars? Is it the impact of 9/11 happening on US soil?

I was just curious and really haven't been able to figure out the change in sentiment.

And if you think about it, many of the guys who went to Vietnam got drafted and didn't have a choice. Todays military men and women do have a choice. So I have to assume many of the Vietnamers didn't want to go. Or they weren't as prepared mentally as those that choose the military today. So it's almost like those older guys got a double whammy.

Todays guys get their college paid for and is a reason for many to enroll. There's more to be gotten out of the military today. The older guys kinda got shafted compared to todays guys. But we respect todays guys more. It doesn't make sense.

No disrespect is meant to todays guys and gals by what I said. I just feel bad for the way these folks used to get treated. So while I'm thankful for the young vets. I'm more thankful for the older vets today.

Aw, heck, I'm thankful for all yinz. But yinz know what I mean. I think.
cause all those damn dirty hippy reporters.

i have great respect for Vets. God bless em!

ColumbusSteelerFan
11-11-2010, 06:58 PM
As someone with a military family background on both my wife and I's side of the family (from the Civil War up to WW II), thanks to all the vets for their service and sacrifice to our country. I can't thank you enough!