PDA

View Full Version : OUR OL - Current and Future

StarSpangledSteeler
11-10-2010, 01:02 PM
J. Scott - C. Kemo - M. Pouncey - T. Essex - F. Adams

(This is probably how we start the game against N.E. Legursky may get quite a few snaps at RG. And i imagine T. Hills will see some action at LT as well. With Allen, Moore, and Redman questionable, Chris Scott could very likely get a hat as a 3rd stringer at both OG and OT.)

I want to be very clear on this next point... I am NOT saying Max Starks sucks. But i have (and always will) believe he is an average left tackle. He is the "Larry Foote" of the OL. Sometimes we get so used to seeing someone play mediocre, we forget what a dominate player truly looks like. The drop off between Willie Colon to Flozell Adams has been minimal (if any). I believe it will be a similar case with Starks. Scott was serviceable last game and he will be even better this week with 6 days of preparation. Tony Hills showed flashes of talent this preseason. He has improved his punch and his feet appear to me to be quicker than Starks or Scott. The Patriots pass rush is decent but not great. If they start blitzing LB's we should be able to dump short passes to Miller, Mendy, Ward, (and possibly even Spaeth), all day long. Plus we can always max protect with an extra TE/FB in the backfield if necessary. Ben has played with a leaky OL his entire life. This will be nothing new. He will be fine.

The interesting aspect here is the future. While i'm not happy Starks is gone, I am very interested to see how Scott and Hills look at left tackle. These next 8+ games will give us a very good idea of if either of them can start in the NFL or if we need to draft an OT at 1:32 next year. Remember when we lost Joey Porter? Nobody in all of Steeler nation (even our own coaches) knew what James Harrison was about to do. Sometimes guys will surprise you if given a chance. I'm tired of the philosophy that young/inexperienced players can't perform in the NFL. They may make some mistakes but so do Essex and Kemo. This may (i'm saying "may") be a blessing in disguise. I fully expect one or two of our young guys to step up and play decently. They couldn't do that much worse considering how badly we suck already. We went 3-1 without Ben. We can finish 5-3 without Starks.

RuthlessBurgher
11-10-2010, 01:06 PM

(This is probably how we start the game against N.E. Legursky may get quite a few snaps at RG. And i imagine T. Hills will see some action at LT as well. With Allen, Moore, and Redman questionable, Chris Scott could very likely get a hat as a 3rd stringer at both OG and OT.)

I want to be very clear on this next point... I am NOT saying Max Starks sucks. But i have (and always will) believe he is an average left tackle. He is the "Larry Foote" of the OL. Sometimes we get so used to seeing someone play mediocre, we forget what a dominate player truly looks like. The drop off between Willie Colon to Flozell Adams has been minimal (if any). I believe it will be a similar case with Starks. Scott was serviceable last game and he will be even better this week with 6 days of preparation. Tony Hills showed flashes of talent this preseason. He has improved his punch and his feet appear to me to be quicker than Starks or Scott. The Patriots pass rush is decent but not great. If they start blitzing LB's we should be able to dump short passes to Miller, Mendy, Ward, (and possibly even Spaeth), all day long. Plus we can always max protect with an extra TE/FB in the backfield if necessary. Ben has played with a leaky OL his entire life. This will be nothing new. He will be fine.

The interesting aspect here is the future. While i'm not happy Starks is gone, I am very interested to see how Scott and Hills look at left tackle. These next 8+ games will give us a very good idea of if either of them can start in the NFL or if we need to draft an OT at 1:32 next year. Remember when we lost Joey Porter? Nobody in all of Steeler nation (even our own coaches) knew what James Harrison was about to do. Sometimes guys will surprise you if given a chance. I'm tired of the philosophy that young/inexperienced players can't perform in the NFL. They may make some mistakes but so do Essex and Kemo. This may (i'm saying "may") be a blessing in disguise. I fully expect one or two of our young guys to step up and play decently. They couldn't do that much worse considering how badly we suck already. We went 3-1 without Ben. We can finish 5-3 without Starks.

I highly doubt that Chris Scott will dress immediately after being promoted to the 53 man roster from the PUP. If Jon Scott starts and Kemo is good to go as you suggest, we still have Doug Legursky, Tony Hills, and Ramon Foster ahead of Chris Scott.

Oviedo
11-10-2010, 01:09 PM

Let me help you. If J. Scott and Hills were starter capable we would not have needed to go and get Flo Adams. They are both back ups and spot starters not the future.

StarSpangledSteeler
11-10-2010, 01:14 PM

Let me help you. If J. Scott and Hills were starter capable we would not have needed to go and get Flo Adams. They are both back ups and spot starters not the future.

That's what you said about James Harrison when we lost Porter, isn't it? (be honest)

All I'm saying is give these guys a shot. It's not like they're replacing a pro-bowler in Starks. How much of a drop off do you really think there will be?

And PS - I've been all for drafting a LT in the first round for the last 3 years. (as have you, i believe)

StarSpangledSteeler
11-10-2010, 01:22 PM

I highly doubt that Chris Scott will dress immediately after being promoted to the 53 man roster from the PUP. If Jon Scott starts and Kemo is good to go as you suggest, we still have Doug Legursky, Tony Hills, and Ramon Foster ahead of Chris Scott.

You may be right on this one, only because Foster could play RG or RT in a pinch. I just think that with 1-3 guys "possibly" down with concussions, we will would likely activate Dwyer, and an extra OL over a safety. Chris Scott probably wouldn't play, but if Mundy doesn't dress it makes more sense to me to give the hat to Scott, since Madison or Lewis could back up at safety.

RuthlessBurgher
11-10-2010, 01:33 PM

You may be right on this one, only because Foster could play RG or RT in a pinch. I just think that with 1-3 guys "possibly" down with concussions, we will would likely activate Dwyer, and an extra OL over a safety. Chris Scott probably wouldn't play, but if Mundy doesn't dress it makes more sense to me to give the hat to Scott, since Madison or Lewis could back up at safety.

With Will Allen also getting concussed in the Cincy game Monday night, I don't think there is any way Mundy doesn't dress against New England on Sunday night.

Oviedo
11-10-2010, 01:40 PM

That's what you said about James Harrison when we lost Porter, isn't it? (be honest)

All I'm saying is give these guys a shot. It's not like they're replacing a pro-bowler in Starks. How much of a drop off do you really think there will be?

And PS - I've been all for drafting a LT in the first round for the last 3 years. (as have you, i believe)

No, I was thrilled when Porter left.

I agree in giving them a shot but Starks was better than he ever got credit for so I think we will se problems.

StarSpangledSteeler
11-10-2010, 01:46 PM

With Will Allen also getting concussed in the Cincy game Monday night, I don't think there is any way Mundy doesn't dress against New England on Sunday night.

Sorry I meant if "Allen" doesn't dress... (obviously Mundy is back up #1 at both safety spots)

flippy
11-10-2010, 02:17 PM
Starks is underrated. He's a great LT imho. He's shut out quite a few premeire rushers over the last year.

But Ben's Ben. He's just as good with or without a line.

Expect Belichick to drop 8 into coverage most of the time to try and confuse Ben.

SteelerNation1
11-10-2010, 02:20 PM
I'll be honest...I'm just sick about losing Max. He was an above avg LT. However, as long as we have #7, we'll have a chance to win any game we play. My concern is he loss of Max leads to the loss of Ben.

steelblood
11-10-2010, 05:21 PM
Starks is a good starting LT. He is an average run blocker (even with his size), but his pass blocking is really quite good (and this is what you pay a LT for). He is highly intelligent, big game experienced, and will be very tough to replace (production/understanding of offense). Ben will get crunched with Max out. It is only a matter of time. Hopefully, Ben's body will be able to withstand it.

We will see a lot of max protect looks which will hurt our pass production and further limit Ben's options. This is not a good thing. My hope is that we work Hills in slowly and he shows the feet to be a capable pass blocker. Jonathan Scott is just a utility guy. He may play well for a few games, but he is not a long term answer.