PDA

View Full Version : Brucie's gonna have to have a good scheme now....

Starlifter
11-10-2010, 12:12 PM
Starks is gone. Kemo is probably out. Pouncey may be hurting. 'Ol billy boy will certainly be planning to take advantage. Think there's gonna be lots of pressure? Think they'll be overloading the left side? I think this is a game that will not be won by simply 'imposing our will'. BA better have a plan for quick releases, quick hits to the hole etc. Many have defended him. We'll see.

Of course if Lebeau gives up another 4th quarter none of the above may matter.

steelerkeylargo
11-10-2010, 12:40 PM
It sounds stupid to boil it down to this BUT we have to run when they think were gonna pass and pass when they think were gonna run. If Benny comes out throwing....ala Colts playoff game in 2005 that will go along way!!!

Oviedo
11-10-2010, 12:47 PM
Or we have to rely on LeBeau to come up with a defensive scheme that doesn't allow teams to march up and down the field and almost blow 21 point leads :stirpot

Sometimes the defense has to win games for you. Now is the time.

feltdizz
11-10-2010, 12:50 PM
Starks is gone. Kemo is probably out. Pouncey may be hurting. 'Ol billy boy will certainly be planning to take advantage. Think there's gonna be lots of pressure? Think they'll be overloading the left side? I think this is a game that will not be won by simply 'imposing our will'. BA better have a plan for quick releases, quick hits to the hole etc. Many have defended him. We'll see.

Of course if Lebeau gives up another 4th quarter none of the above may matter.

I wouldn't change a thing... LOL. We have a week to get these guys on point. They will be fine. It's not like the Pats are dominating on D.

32nd D in the league on 3rd downs. It will come down to the D stopping Brady in the flats.

SteelTorch
11-10-2010, 01:45 PM
Or we have to rely on LeBeau to come up with a defensive scheme that doesn't allow teams to march up and down the field and almost blow 21 point leads :stirpot

The D did fine in the 4th quarter, save for one TD drive. The other TD came from a drive completely set up by penalties. A drive, by the way, that started when Reed missed another field goal.

feltdizz
11-10-2010, 01:48 PM

The D did fine in the 4th quarter, save for one TD drive. The other TD came from a drive completely set up by penalties. A drive, by the way, that started when Reed missed another field goal.

and the second TD was set up by Reed's terrible kick off to the 20

Starlifter
11-10-2010, 03:12 PM
I wouldn't change a thing... LOL. We have a week to get these guys on point. They will be fine. It's not like the Pats are dominating on D.

32nd D in the league on 3rd downs. It will come down to the D stopping Brady in the flats.

not changing a thing is the arians way........ :HeadBanger

Oviedo
11-10-2010, 03:17 PM

same with LeBeau............ :HeadBanger

They are the perfect match of coordinators.

RuthlessBurgher
11-10-2010, 04:44 PM

And yet we somehow manage to have the best record in the NFL in spite of a month long suspension of our franchise QB and countless injuries in the trenches on both sides of the ball.

Man, those coaches sure suck!

Chavezz
11-10-2010, 04:53 PM
What they need to do is work on their frickin hot routes. How they haven't fixed this yet I don't know. I expect the missed hot routes from Wallace, Sanders and Brown. But it's Hines and EL that aren't making the correct reads.

When you have the pressure that we had against the Saints they only way to counter that in the passing game is to hit those quick slants. You hit Wallace on a few of those and with his speed we're looking at some long gainers.

AngryAsian
11-10-2010, 06:37 PM

That's too much logic and data, Torch... remember that LeBeau's D has to be measured with the same standards as BA's offense... because LeBeau doesn't have a track record of being top rated D, unlike BA of course who has orchestrated explosive offenses for years that have dominated teams in the trenches, amassing ground yardage with a running attack that yields 150+ per game, and with Ben chucking 400 yards per... how can BA suffer any scrutiny. :lol:

skyhawk
11-10-2010, 11:51 PM
Run, run, pass! :stirpot

I think all the stops were pulled against the Bengals. BA showed alot of creativity and new plays we haven't seen yet. I don't expect much more out of him compared to the genius Bill Belichick-- Bill will expose weaknesses on both sides of the field. The only thing we don't know is if his players will execute on the road. Steelers and BA better be ready to play! I'm traveling 2500 miles to watch!

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-11-2010, 10:54 AM

and the second TD was set up by Reed's terrible kick off to the 20

Despite the short kick.......

The D then gave up a 5 play, 66 yard TD drive in 1:38. A short kick is not a free pass to play poor defense.

pittpete
11-11-2010, 11:23 AM
BA showed alot of creativity and new plays we haven't seen yet

The fake end around that gained 2 yards to setup the ARE pass that should have been picked off?
Maybe your talking about the handoff to Redman that gained a half a yard when we were on our on 1 yard line.Same play that lost 4 yards the previous week against the Saints when we were on the 6 inch line.
Perhaps the bubble screen to Hines that netted 1 yard and then comes back to the same play to Hines on the other side that would have gained 2 yards.
The same old double TE sets when the defensive is consistently getting penetration up the middle and our RBs are hit in the backfield.
Using Heath as an extra blocker instead of him getting into the seams.
Should I go on?
Yes that Arians is really showing us why he gets paid the big bucks and so many NFL teams are courting him as an up and coming head coach.
Whisenhunt was creative.
Mularkey was creative.
Arians game plans or lack of made me want to FN puke my guts out.
The announcers even pointed out on the last drive before the missed FG that Ben audibled at least 4 times on the successful run plays by Mendy.
So what does Brucey do after 6 running plays, he leaves an clearly exhausted Mendenhall in to run a 7th time.Yes Legursky slipped on the block but it shows that Arians is an absolute bonehead.He is crap and he will always be crap!!!
Ok I feel better 8)

feltdizz
11-11-2010, 11:35 AM

And yet we somehow manage to have the best record in the NFL in spite of a month long suspension of our franchise QB and countless injuries in the trenches on both sides of the ball.

Man, those coaches sure suck!

:D

this is why they are fans and not coaches.

I've read so many people complaining about a play call that they admit would have worked if Legursky made his block.

Is it really too hard to blame the players instead of BA? I guess so.

BradshawsHairdresser
11-11-2010, 11:37 AM

The fake end around that gained 2 yards to setup the ARE pass that should have been picked off?
Maybe your talking about the handoff to Redman that gained a half a yard when we were on our on 1 yard line.Same play that lost 4 yards the previous week against the Saints when we were on the 6 inch line.
Perhaps the bubble screen to Hines that netted 1 yard and then comes back to the same play to Hines on the other side that would have gained 2 yards.
The same old double TE sets when the defensive is consistently getting penetration up the middle and our RBs are hit in the backfield.
Should I go on?
Yes that Arians is really showing us why he gets paid the big bucks and so many NFL teams are courting him as an up and coming head coach.
Whisenhunt was creative.
Mularkey was creative.
The announcers even pointed out on the last drive before the missed FG that Ben audibled at least 4 times on the successful run plays by Mendy.
So what does Brucey do after 6 running plays, he leaves an clearly exhausted Mendenhall in to run a 7th time.Yes Legursky slipped on the block but it shows that Arians is an absolute bonehead.He is crap and he will always be crap!!!
Ok I feel better 8)

I'm no fan of Arians, but...
It's not like Mendenhall had run 6 100-yard sprints in a row. If he's that "exhausted" after just 6 running plays, then maybe someone ought to look at what he's doing for conditioning.

If Legursky makes that block, nobody is complaining this week about 7 running plays in a row.

feltdizz
11-11-2010, 12:20 PM

Should I go on?
Whisenhunt was creative.
Mularkey was creative.
Ok I feel better 8)

It's not like Mendenhall had run 6 100-yard sprints in a row. If he's that "exhausted" after just 6 running plays, then maybe someone ought to look at what he's doing for conditioning.

If Legursky makes that block, nobody is complaining this week about 7 running plays in a row.

Just 6 running plays? More like 5 or 6 straight runs for 45 yards in the 4th quarter. Most RB's ask for a wind break in that situation... especially when another RB is used in the 3rd down packages.

I agree with the draw play... it burned 30 more seconds and was block away from another long gain.

BradshawsHairdresser
11-11-2010, 01:14 PM

Should I go on?
Whisenhunt was creative.
Mularkey was creative.
Ok I feel better 8)

Just 6 running plays? More like 5 or 6 straight runs for 45 yards in the 4th quarter. Most RB's ask for a wind break in that situation... especially when another RB is used in the 3rd down packages.

I agree with the draw play... it burned 30 more seconds and was block away from another long gain.

I say again, if Mendenhall can't handle six straight run plays for 45 yards, somebody ought to look at his conditioning. He is a first-round pick, an "elite" athlete who is all of what, 21 years old? This is not an old Jerome Bettis with asthma that we're talking about. This is a young man who supposedly is in premium physical condition. I realize it was the fourth quarter, but it wasn't like he had been used heavily all game long. Prior to this string of six straight runs, he had only had 16 carries.

feltdizz
11-11-2010, 01:29 PM
Doesn't matter IMO. When you are called on 6 straight times and run as hard as he did to get those 45 yards I have no problem with him sucking wind.

You make it sound like Mendenhall was chilling all game... he ran hard and had a pretty good game. I see nothing wrong with Mend looking for a breather after 6 straight runs. He had an 18 yard run in the middle of that stretch.

Oviedo
11-11-2010, 05:12 PM
Doesn't matter IMO. When you are called on 6 straight times and run as hard as he did to get those 45 yards I have no problem with him sucking wind.

You make it sound like Mendenhall was chilling all game... he ran hard and had a pretty good game. I see nothing wrong with Mend looking for a breather after 6 straight runs. He had an 18 yard run in the middle of that stretch.

I agree. This just isn't running, it is running with 250+lb men hanging on you. That takes the level of exertion up exponentially.

Try running a mile and then do it with a 25lb rucksack on your back. Totally apples and oranges.

BradshawsHairdresser
11-11-2010, 05:47 PM
Where did I say Mendy DIDN'T have a good game? I thought he played very well.
And of course, it's tougher to run when you're getting hit by 250+ pound men running at you. I get that.

Still, I don't buy that him running six straight times was any more taxing than what
Polamalu, or Timmons, or Harrison, or Ike, or Hines, or Wallace are called upon to do in nearly every game.

I'm not saying it's always smart playcalling to run the same guy six or seven times in a row. But when its working, and you can run clock and keep the ball away from your opponent late in the game, it's difficult for me to get upset about doing it.

Again, if Bronco makes that block, you guys aren't even talking about it today.

SteelTorch
11-11-2010, 06:17 PM
And of course, it's tougher to run when you're getting hit by 250+ pound men running at you. I get that.

Still, I don't buy that him running six straight times was any more taxing than what
Polamalu, or Timmons, or Harrison, or Ike, or Hines, or Wallace are called upon to do in nearly every game.

I'm not saying it's always smart playcalling to run the same guy six or seven times in a row. But when its working, and you can run clock and keep the ball away from your opponent late in the game, it's difficult for me to get upset about doing it.

I understand what you're saying. However, unlike DL, BA has no track record of fielding a dominating unit that you can count on. Our defense may have its faults, but it's proven to be one of the best in the league year in and year out.

Meanwhile, BA has only a record of fielding inefficient, unreliable offenses. These past few seasons, the O has struggled, and BA is the only common denominator. I'm not freeing the players from blame, but BA has done nothing to make the situation better.

feltdizz
11-11-2010, 07:28 PM

I understand what you're saying. However, unlike DL, BA has no track record of fielding a dominating unit that you can count on. Our defense may have its faults, but it's proven to be one of the best in the league year in and year out.

Meanwhile, BA has only a record of fielding inefficient, unreliable offenses. These past few seasons, the O has struggled, and BA is the only common denominator. I'm not freeing the players from blame, but BA has done nothing to make the situation better.

phuck the track record... it's an excuse being used to deflect from our passing D and those who have a history of carving it up. Track record didn't stop teams in the 4th quarter last year. Track record isn't giving us the confidence we used to have when we need one stop in the 4th. I give Lebeau his due... he is a legend and the guy created a D from scratch.. of course he will have an impact and great track record. All I know is our recent track record has me nervous in the 4th qtr even when up by 20 points.

You won't see an OC with anywhere near a track record of Lebeau unless his name is Bill Walsh. You have to create something new to compete with Lebeau IMO.

Our O has actually been pretty damn productive the last few seasons but we haven't been consistent. Over the last 2 or 3 seasons I think we have led the league in gains of 20+ yard gains. Our run game has suffered but we have gone WR the last few years to give Ben what he needs and didn't address the OL needs until last year.

Look at Whiz in AZ without a Ben or Kurt... where is his genius? People love some of our OC's because they had to be ultra creative because we had average QB's... these guys wouldn't have a million wrinkles with Ben as the QB. There is no need. With a guy like Ben you call the play and let him drop back and do his thing...

you can't seriously say these last 3 years BA has shown nothing...

BradshawsHairdresser
11-11-2010, 07:31 PM

I can't disagree with that at all.

feltdizz
11-11-2010, 07:34 PM

you should... did the track record last year get us to the playoffs? You guys keep bobbing and weaving when someone says something about the D but the O? All day every day. :wink:

BradshawsHairdresser
11-11-2010, 07:53 PM

you should... did the track record last year get us to the playoffs? You guys keep bobbing and weaving when someone says something about the D but the O? All day every day. :wink:

I was talking about the last sentence of SteelTorch's post...I should have made that clear in my response.

Like you, I'm unhappy about the way DL's defenses have collapsed late in games the past couple of years. But it is downright ridiculous that BA is still employed as the Steelers' OC.

BURGH86STEEL
11-11-2010, 08:25 PM

BA is not the only common denominator. How do the QB's and Oline's play factor into the equation? Difficult to separate all the factors in a team sport.

RuthlessBurgher
11-12-2010, 11:29 AM

I agree. This just isn't running, it is running with 250+lb men hanging on you. That takes the level of exertion up exponentially.

Try running a mile and then do it with a 25lb rucksack on your back. Totally apples and oranges.

The only other time I have heard the term "rucksack" being used is by a lederhosen-clad Swedish version of Jamie Lee Curtis.

http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/091217/new-years/TRADING-PLACES_400.jpg