PDA

View Full Version : Starks to IR; Scott activated

SteelerNation1
11-10-2010, 10:48 AM
Crap!

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Starks-placed-on-IR-Scott-activated/91e0a6d0-f6c7-47cb-afb3-e3a8090449a8

MeetJoeGreene
11-10-2010, 10:52 AM
Not good at all.

I wonder what the new offensive line will be? Do they slide Essux over and put Bronco in his place or Put Adams over at LT and put Hills at RT??

SteelerNation1
11-10-2010, 10:55 AM
Not good at all.

I wonder what the new offensive line will be? Do they slide Essux over and put Bronco in his place or Put Adams over at LT and put Hills at RT??
There's got to be an option #3 right? RIGHT? PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RuthlessBurgher
11-10-2010, 11:04 AM
I highly doubt they do something complicated like changing three positions because of one injury (move Adams to LT, move Essex to RT, and insert Legursky at RG).

More likely scenarios:

Jon Scott at LT and keep everything else the same?

Tony Hills at LT and keep everything else the same?

Move Hotel over to LT and insert Jon Scott at RT?

This sucks.

Oviedo
11-10-2010, 11:17 AM
Not good at all.

Tomlin has been pretty consistent in his position that he dowsn't like to make two changes to correct one problem. Not sure he would in this case either. My bet is that Scott will get the LT position since he is the one who replaced Starks Monday night. I also expect we will see tons of two TE sets to have Spaeth helping him out on nearly a full time basis.

The question is now what if Kemo is out too? That is the entire left side of our OL. I would guess Legursky get first shot in there. Interestingly, Ramon Foster seems to have fallen back in the OL battles since last season when he seemed like a steal but under Kugler may not be as effective in his system.

papillon
11-10-2010, 11:18 AM
I'd kind of like to see Adams moved to LT and give Hills a shot at RT and leave everything else the same.

Pappy

Ghost
11-10-2010, 11:20 AM
What's better (or worse)? Keeping hotel at the RT spot since he's been there all season and putting one guy in on the left side or moving 2 guys around, knowing FA played on the left all his time in Dallas. Is it diruptive to move 2 or will he slide to his regular posistion without issue?

Anyone know anything about the kid out of Tennessee, Chris Scott, other than he's big? I pinged a die hard Vols fan to see if how he played for them.

Steelskin
11-10-2010, 11:20 AM
I highly doubt they do something complicated like changing three positions because of one injury (move Adams to LT, move Essex to RT, and insert Legursky at RG).

More likely scenarios:

Jon Scott at LT and keep everything else the same?

Tony Hills at LT and keep everything else the same?

Move Hotel over to LT and insert Jon Scott at RT?

This sucks.

In retrospect, the Flozell signing this past Summer was awesome.

Just trying to look at this in a positive light :HeadBanger

But seriously, how screwed would we be without him?

steelblood
11-10-2010, 11:21 AM
Interesting Pap. I don't think Hills would be a good RT as he isn't much of a road grader. Do you see him as such?

RuthlessBurgher
11-10-2010, 11:22 AM
I'd kind of like to see Adams moved to LT and give Hills a shot at RT and leave everything else the same.

Pappy

I think if they decide to use Hills, he'd be considered for LT only.

He more of an athlete for the left side than a mauler for the right.

If they moved Hotel to the left, then they'd likely use Jon Scott on the right.

If I had to guess, though, I think they'll keep Hotel at RT and insert J. Scott at LT for now.

If Legursky also has to start for Kemoeatu as well, then both Foster and Hills would be active backups for us against New England.

pfelix73
11-10-2010, 11:25 AM
I think it would be best to start the Pats game the way the Bengals game ended. Scott will play LT and Adams will stay at RT. Makes the most sense, but I have wrong before....

:tt1

Oviedo
11-10-2010, 11:27 AM
I think it would be best to start the Pats game the way the Bengals game ended. Scott will play LT and Adams will stay at RT. Makes the most sense, but I have wrong before....

I'm betting that is how it plays out. Scott will play until he proves he can't.

feltdizz
11-10-2010, 11:28 AM
while Adams just switched to RT this year I wouldn't want to move him back to LT. He spent all preseason getting in sync at RT...

SteelBucks
11-10-2010, 11:31 AM

I'm betting that is how it plays out. Scott will play until he proves he can't.

I agree.

aggiebones
11-10-2010, 11:36 AM
Frankly its time if we can coax some recent retiree out of retirement for the last half of the season. Get them on the roster, get them in relative shape over the next month and ready for the playoffs.

Roaf, Ogden, someone of that caliber that might have the knowledge to play and a bit left in the tank, especially after some time off to heal. Some knowledgeable T out there might see this team as a top 4 team and have another shot at a Super Bowl.

Yea, its a long shot, but what if Scott or Hills go down?
Dump enough money at them to make it happen. Its a very important position to be left to guys that really don't have the ability to help get us to the Super Bowl.
If we do nothing, then I'm convinced we aren't trying.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
11-10-2010, 11:36 AM
It is bad news. I guess the only good news is C Scott is healthy enough to play this year. I think Ruth is right and at least for this game only change up one position. I anticipate J Scott at LT. One thing that I would watch for is C Scott. If the bits & pieces we here are accurate, he stayed in good shape. Maybe he could push for that RG spot because that is the biggest flaw by far. You could help your tackles but to hard to do anything as far as help on the interior and that pressure negates everything.

I still expect the Steelers to do their "Due diligence" and work out some vet OTs in case the experiments goes bad or more injuries occur. Here is some names out their.

Tony Ugoh - His Facebook account says he is healthy enough to play and looking for workouts.

Mike Gandy - Seasoned vet and LT experience.

Eric Pears - Just released by Jags for Terry. Has starts both sides and still young.

Levi Jones - Not officially retired yet.

Ephraim Salaam - Has experience both sides but might be headed to RT this late in career. Possible option if the have no choice in moving Adams to LT.

Orlando Pace - Same as above. Only if Adams has to be moved to LT.

This is still a "go about our business" team regardless of Starks injury. They are going to have to make sure they have another guy for LT in place if Scott doesn't provide adequate play. I think you have to really look at Hills right now. How much confidence do the Steelers have in him. If they don't think he could start and hold his own, I think they should at some point bring in a vet, release Hills, and try to put him on the PS. Jolly could be released. Hills would be the back-up plan to the back-up. At this point in the season, you have to push the reload button because time is a factor and another injury at OT could really decimate any sense of chemistry down the stretch. That is a situation that needs to be avoided and getting a capable vet in here to learn the system should be something of importance. But like I said, this all depends on what their "True Feelings" of Hills ability is. I think we will see what that is now.

ikestops85
11-10-2010, 11:50 AM
I think it is time for Hills to either sh!t or get off the pot. No more free ride for the guy. We need him now or he needs to be replaced by someone we have faith in.

D Rock
11-10-2010, 12:08 PM
What does Arians need to change in the game plan to account for this? And what does Ben need to change?

This isn't just about who to plug into what spot, the whole philosophy may need to change to a quick throw offense.

RussBII
11-10-2010, 12:08 PM
I think it is time for Hills to either sh!t or get off the pot. No more free ride for the guy. We need him now or he needs to be replaced by someone we have faith in.

This. For sure. We need to get some return out of this investment. I'd like to see what he's got.

BradshawsHairdresser
11-10-2010, 12:43 PM
What does Arians need to change in the game plan to account for this? And what does Ben need to change?

This isn't just about who to plug into what spot, the whole philosophy may need to change to a quick throw offense.

BA? Make adjustments midseason? Change his whole philosophy???
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Shawn
11-10-2010, 12:50 PM
I would like to see what Hills can do personally. I believe him to have the biggest upside and certainly might surprise a few folks.

Oviedo
11-10-2010, 12:52 PM

Ben needs to become Tom Brady to beat Tom Brady and get rid of the ball quick even if it is for 7-8 yards and trust your WRs to get more.

Oviedo
11-10-2010, 12:54 PM
It is bad news. I guess the only good news is C Scott is healthy enough to play this year. I think Ruth is right and at least for this game only change up one position. I anticipate J Scott at LT. One thing that I would watch for is C Scott. If the bits & pieces we here are accurate, he stayed in good shape. Maybe he could push for that RG spot because that is the biggest flaw by far. You could help your tackles but to hard to do anything as far as help on the interior and that pressure negates everything.

I still expect the Steelers to do their "Due diligence" and work out some vet OTs in case the experiments goes bad or more injuries occur. Here is some names out their.

Tony Ugoh - His Facebook account says he is healthy enough to play and looking for workouts.

Eric Pears - Just released by Jags for Terry. Has starts both sides and still young.

Ephraim Salaam - Has experience both sides but might be headed to RT this late in career. Possible option if the have no choice in moving Adams to LT.

This is still a "go about our business" team regardless of Starks injury. They are going to have to make sure they have another guy for LT in place if Scott doesn't provide adequate play. I think you have to really look at Hills right now. How much confidence do the Steelers have in him. If they don't think he could start and hold his own, I think they should at some point bring in a vet, release Hills, and try to put him on the PS. Jolly could be released. Hills would be the back-up plan to the back-up. At this point in the season, you have to push the reload button because time is a factor and another injury at OT could really decimate any sense of chemistry down the stretch. That is a situation that needs to be avoided and getting a capable vet in here to learn the system should be something of importance. But like I said, this all depends on what their "True Feelings" of Hills ability is. I think we will see what that is now.

Did anyone ever find out what happened to Ciron Black? Was decent prospect but wasn't drafted and while it was reported he had a deal with us nothing ever came of it. The guy was being touted as a potential top two rounds of the draft guy at one time.

I would definitely look at Ugoh.

focosteeler
11-10-2010, 01:04 PM
while Adams just switched to RT this year I wouldn't want to move him back to LT. He spent all preseason getting in sync at RT...

:Agree plus if he moves to LT i think you see his false starts go up...remember he is partially deaf in his right ear

phillyesq
11-10-2010, 01:13 PM

Pappy

I think if they decide to use Hills, he'd be considered for LT only.

He more of an athlete for the left side than a mauler for the right.

If they moved Hotel to the left, then they'd likely use Jon Scott on the right.

If I had to guess, though, I think they'll keep Hotel at RT and insert J. Scott at LT for now.

If Legursky also has to start for Kemoeatu as well, then both Foster and Hills would be active backups for us against New England.

Ruthless, I think that you're dead on with all of this.

The Starks loss is huge IMO. Starks was never a star, but he was generally solid at LT. I hope that Scott can prove to be passable, but I think that the Steelers will probably provide him with a lot of help.

I certainly liked Starks/Kemo a lot more than Scott/Legursky.

RuthlessBurgher
11-10-2010, 01:14 PM

Ben needs to become Tom Brady to beat Tom Brady and get rid of the ball quick even if it is for 7-8 yards and trust your WRs to get more.

It would take quite the hairstylist to have Ben become Tom Brady. :wink:

http://images.huffingtonpost.com/gen/157046/BEN-ROETHLISBERGER-HAIRCUT.jpg
http://blacksportsonline.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Tom-Brady-Hair-300x279.jpg

phillyesq
11-10-2010, 01:15 PM
I also should have added - I wish Starks a speedy recovery, and I hope that he doesn't have any long term complications from a personal standpoint.

D Rock
11-10-2010, 01:40 PM
Is that really Brady's real hair in that picture?

I mean, I know it's long and Bieber/female to begin with, but that is so awful that it looks like a great piece of photoshopping.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
11-10-2010, 01:42 PM

Did anyone ever find out what happened to Ciron Black? Was decent prospect but wasn't drafted and while it was reported he had a deal with us nothing ever came of it. The guy was being touted as a potential top two rounds of the draft guy at one time.

I would definitely look at Ugoh.
It is like he dropped off the face of the earth. The interview processs must not have went well for him for everyone to pass on him. There had to be some character issues or a lack of desire to play football at the next level. I haven't heard any work-outs or anything saying he still wants to play. <TAP> <TAP> <TAP> "Ciron Black...Are you still here?"

Another name that is still on the shelf is Tony Washington...Anyone remember this story?
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5497517

Talented kid like that may never get a chance. I can't believe he isn't even on anyones practice squad.

I agree with you about Ugoh. If healthy, should be top of the list to at least work out. He doesn't like playing in snow...But things have a way of changing when you are unemployed.

Flasteel
11-10-2010, 03:09 PM

This is the million dollar question D. Not that I have any confidence in him adapting, but we need to see some adjustments. Shorter drops, rolling the pocket, screens, draws, and no-huddle are all things BA should pull out of the bag.

We'll see.

NW Steeler
11-10-2010, 03:24 PM
Jeezus. I officially have "Chicken Little" syndrome.

Chadman
11-10-2010, 06:36 PM
Jon Scott did the business for Kugs in Buffalo. He'll get first crack at it. Tony Hills- this is your time. He'll be game active at least, which will mean game time given the way the OL has been in & out of games this year. Legursky, Hills & Foster will most likely be active, with Chris Scott going to need to work his way into game shape. Essex could be the emergency OT.

What impact will it have on Ben? Quite possibly none, to be honest. Scott looks servicable- which is about par for the course on the Steelers OL.

jj28west
11-10-2010, 08:27 PM
Jeezus. I officially have "Chicken Little" syndrome.

I am right with you on this one. I need some talk therapy quick to get past this one. I hope I am wrong but this one is gonna hurt.