PDA

View Full Version : James Harrison—Best Defensive Player in the NFL!

Dee Dub
11-09-2010, 04:01 PM
No offense Troy Polamalu but I think James is out playing you this year.

There is a lot of talk around the NFL that Clay Matthews is leading candidate for defensive player of the year but as we see with James Harrison, there is a lot more than just rushing the QB.

Here is a look at those who are primarily pass rushers and how they stack up to James Harrison and his overall game.

Clay Matthews

31 tackles 10.5 sacks 1 FF 1 INT 3 PD

Osi Umenyiora

21 tackles 8 sacks 7 FF 0 INT’s 1 PD

DeMarcus Ware

29 tackles 8 sacks 1 FF 0 INT’s 1 PD

James Harrison

55 tackles 7 sacks 4 FF 1 INT 3 PD

And one other point, none of these players have Lawrence Timmons, Troy Polamalu, or LaMarr Woodley fighting them for plays.

Crash
11-09-2010, 04:05 PM
I think Timmons has been ever better.

Dee Dub
11-09-2010, 04:10 PM
I think Timmons has been ever better.

Teams are game planning away from Timmons just yet. They are making sure that every time Harrison rushes the passer he is accounted for. Often doubled and held.

Discipline of Steel
11-09-2010, 07:29 PM
OK, of course Ill have to go with James Harrison. He has better overall numbers and a BIG effect on his teamates. But even if you were to disagree, youd have to admit he was one of the best defensive players in the NFL.

Bearing that in mind, why does it seem like the NFL is targeting him in particular? I mean, dont you want to play up the best players in the league? They certainly play up the best offensive players. Those guys are glorified and their best plays are highlighted. James Harrison's best plays are highlighted too, but all with negative intonations. They are playing DOWN the best defensive plays and training fans to think of evil defenders bent on breaking the law. All with a very grey area between whats legal and illegal. Sorry to say, games are affected by the tickytack unsportsmanlike penalties flying around. Manning and Palmer were both granted at least one TD each this weekend. Defense is on the defensive. Wild comebacks are more likely. The game rewards random luck more and effort less. Nobody wants that, things are a little out of control. And James Harrison appears to be leading the nationally supported effort against the NFL to quell his (and other defenders) effectiveness...talk about your connsumate professional. He has them all beat on that level.

James Harrison #1 :Beer

Roger Goodell, you smell. :nono

ALLD
11-09-2010, 08:26 PM
OK, of course Ill have to go with James Harrison. He has better overall numbers and a BIG effect on his teamates. But even if you were to disagree, youd have to admit he was one of the best defensive players in the NFL.

Bearing that in mind, why does it seem like the NFL is targeting him in particular? I mean, dont you want to play up the best players in the league? They certainly play up the best offensive players. Those guys are glorified and their best plays are highlighted. James Harrison's best plays are highlighted too, but all with negative intonations. They are playing DOWN the best defensive plays and training fans to think of evil defenders bent on breaking the law. All with a very grey area between whats legal and illegal. Sorry to say, games are affected by the tickytack unsportsmanlike penalties flying around. Manning and Palmer were both granted at least one TD each this weekend. Defense is on the defensive. Wild comebacks are more likely. The game rewards random luck more and effort less. Nobody wants that, things are a little out of control. And James Harrison appears to be leading the nationally supported effort against the NFL to quell his (and other defenders) effectiveness...talk about your connsumate professional. He has them all beat on that level.

James Harrison #1 :Beer

Roger Goodell, you smell. :nono

In light of the commissioner's successful PR campaign where he almost single-handedly reduced the once tough and brutal NFL to a pinball finesse league, he has come up with some new ideas to make the world a better place:

1. He is immediately petitioning the White House to ban water in swimming pools. "Water is the primary reason for drowning and should be forever banned in swimming pools. Next, the oceans."

2. He advocates removing sex in the adult film industry. "Gratuitous sex affects the safety and integrity of the movie industry."

3. Rog also recommends that distillers remove all alcohol in whiskey, rum and vodka because of safety concerns. "Without alcohol, distillers will have a safer and superior product."

4. His sidekick who assists with the fines is also working on a new non-flammable match. "To prevent fires."

SteelAbility
11-09-2010, 10:44 PM
No offense Troy Polamalu but I think James is out playing you this year.

There is a lot of talk around the NFL that Clay Matthews is leading candidate for defensive player of the year but as we see with James Harrison, there is a lot more than just rushing the QB.

Here is a look at those who are primarily pass rushers and how they stack up to James Harrison and his overall game.

Clay Matthews

31 tackles 10.5 sacks 1 FF 1 INT 3 PD

Osi Umenyiora

21 tackles 8 sacks 7 FF 0 INT’s 1 PD

DeMarcus Ware

29 tackles 8 sacks 1 FF 0 INT’s 1 PD

James Harrison

55 tackles 7 sacks 4 FF 1 INT 3 PD

And one other point, none of these players have Lawrence Timmons, Troy Polamalu, or LaMarr Woodley fighting them for plays.

... or supporting them on plays. It's give/take. But I do agree that JH is top-dog.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-09-2010, 10:58 PM
I was watching some of the Cowboys game this week - prime time disaster movie that it was - and kept an eye on Ware for much of the time.

Now, I don't know if this game was particularly bad or if this is who he is as a player, but he is average at best.

He only rushes the passer on passing downs, never dropping into coverage. Therefore his sack and pressure numbers should be at least 50% higher than those of JH to account for the greater number of times rushing. And, he is awful in run support. He was constantly being sealed by whoever was used to do the job - tackle or TE.

So he is a very one dimensional player who is very good in one aspect - rushing the QB, poor at a second - run support, and non-existent in a third - pass coverage.

Not only is JH a much more complete OLB - solid in all three facets, but Woodley, who has been an OLB for all of four years (3 as a starter) is able to drop into coverage as needed. Ware just goes after the QB.