PDA

View Full Version : Positives and Negatives

steelblood
11-09-2010, 09:17 AM
THE POSITIVE...

LeBeau - Plenty around here have complained that we don't blitz and play bump and run enough. I saw quite a bit of that tonight (especially with the game on the line). It was the right call. It didn't alway work, but it was the correct choice.

Arians - Nice game plan. I liked some of the plays including the fake end around pass back to Mendenhall, the double stick run play that we used several times, and all of the rhythm passes.

Captain Kangaroo - Even with our terrible kickoffs, we won the special teams battle again. Thanks to the punt block (nice scheme) and Sanders strip. Worilds looks very comfortable out there. It seemed like he made 5 or 6 special teams tackles.

Sanders - He didn't have a great game with returns, but his strip was huge.

William Gay - He gave up a TD to TO, but other than that he was solid in coverage, jumped a route and almost had a pick, and blocked a punt. He has turned out to be a very good 5th round pick.

James Harrison - This may have been his finest game of the year. He cover well, pressured the QB, got a big sack, made the big fourth down play, and stopped the run.

Timmons - Great interception, good coverage against Gresham (who did nothing all night), had a couple of tackles for loss.

Farrior - he looked lightning fast tonight. He showed great anticipation on many plays. Cedric Benson made him look silly a couple of times, but generally he played well for a 35 year old linebacker.

Hood - Got a great push a few times in run D and blew up some plays. Pass rush was lacking, but I think he can improve that because that plays to his more natural 4-3 skills.

Jonathan Scott. Dude played LT, LG, and I believe a little RT. He is not a great talent, but he did his job under difficult circumstances.

Pouncey - Guts! When he went down, I was very worried. But, he came back and gutted it out (as did Starks). Tough, nasty, strong and very athletic. His pass blocking is allowing Ben to step up in the pocket and forcing teams to blitz from the outside. The Bengals tried the double A gap blitz about 15 times in that game. And, I don't think it worked once. Ben and Pouncey made them pay for it with excellent adjustments and great play.

Wallace - great adjustment to the ball on the throw by El. He had one bad drop on third down. Other than that, he was awesome.

Mendenhall- Wow. Great effort. He showed that all he needs is a seam. We need to throw to him more. I love watching his second gear (it is as good as Peterson's).

THE NEGATIVE....

McFAdden - I think he made a nice play in coverage once the entire night. TO owned him. He couldn't cover TO deep even when he play off coverage and gave him a 10 yard cushion. That is inexcusable. He also failed in bump and run coverage.

El - nice catch on third down. But, you have to fair catch that ball at the 10 instead of letting it go to the one. El also missed a hot route against a blitz. Ben threw it instantly and El never turned around. I'm glad he threw that TD, but he probably should not have thrown it as it was a 50-50 ball (Wallace bailed him out).

Essex - he leaked players the whole night. They tried to pull him to the left twice and he was late getting there. Both plays resulted in 3-5 yard losses. He should not be starting. I'd get Foster in there immediately after Kemo is healthy.

Reed - KOs were terrible. 53 yarder was awesome! Missing the game clinching kick after a great drive by the offense almost cost us the game (again). He has gone from a great clutch kicker to a choke artist very quickly.

Greg Warren - many high snaps on kicks. This guy has been here forever. How is this happening?

Arnaz Battle - ran himself out of his lane too many times. Missed two tackles. He is only here to cover kicks, and he did a poor job.

The Refs - I saw many terrible calls that went both ways all night. I found myself simply hoping that they didn't ruin the outcome of the game. With the call on Hampton for roughing the passer (he was obviously thrown/pushed into Palmer), they almost did. With all of the restrictions on pass rushers, the refs cannot make that call of going below the knees liberally.

SidSmythe
11-09-2010, 09:28 AM
POSITIVES:
- Pouncey came back in the game
- Wallace is too fast for even Ben
- Run Defense
- Mendenhall

NEGATIVES:
- O-Line injuries
- Ziggy Hood is improving but still not there
- Ryan Clark needs to add 40 lbs. and become a LB cuz he is not a ballhawk
- Hines Ward's fumble and dropped TD.

Steelers>NFL
11-09-2010, 09:39 AM
POSITIVES:
- Run Defense
- Mendenhall

NEGATIVES:
- O-Line injuries

Ben just HOLDS the ball and waits for him to get open. 5 or 7 step drops and heave the fukking ball already Ben. We know you can not hit Wallace in stride over 5o yards. But at least try...

steelblood
11-09-2010, 09:40 AM
POSITIVES:
- Run Defense
- Mendenhall

NEGATIVES:
- O-Line injuries

Yeah, Hines sure had an up and down night. Great blocks and nice catch on the TD. Then the negatives you are talking about.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
11-09-2010, 10:11 AM
POSITIVES:
- Run Defense
- Mendenhall

NEGATIVES:
- O-Line injuries

Ben just HOLDS the ball and waits for him to get open. 5 or 7 step drops and heave the fukking ball already Ben. We know you can not hit Wallace in stride over 5o yards. But at least try...

Don't put it on anyone. If it is a play design to Wallace off of playaction, put it on Arians. Nobody is surprised that Wallace outruns the pass. There is alot of green on the field to get seperation. Arians did a little of it when Ben was suspended but he seems to forget what works. Post Corner, Corner route, or Post. All stride patterns where Wallace could use his speed to gain seperation or angles on the safeties and leave some vertical field for Ben's arm. It isn't rocket science. Defenses aren't saying, "Wow, I didn't know he was fast." Ben and many of the WRs say they defenses are not going to let us go deep. You could see it in game. Put that on Arians. You gameplan for Wallace to gain seperation in space and run away from the coverage sideline to sideline not LOS to goaline. Someone needs to tell Arians a 30 yard completion and 20 YAC is still the same 6 points if Wallace catches a ball 55-60 yards downfield in the endzone. At this point, the passing offense would benefit more if Wallace was crossing the face of the Safties because Ben can look them off and attack behind the coverage. Sooner or later you will get a false step and it is all over and since Wallace wasn't running vertical from the snap, Ben should have enough arm.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-09-2010, 10:29 AM
Positives (thank goodness for the light of day!!):

1) In the past, we would have lost this game. Look at last year. Heck, look at the Ravens game this year. But we won yesterday.

2) 48 yards is not a gimme gimme FG for anyone. So Reed missing that doesn't mean he's the worst thing since sliced bread (my other post notwithstanding!).

3) We are 6-2.

4) Ariens showed some flashes of creativity exceeding that of your average algae. Maybe it's something he can build on.

5) 4th quarter ... our offense with the ball and a 1 score lead with 6 minutes to go ... where's the Bus??? OH - we have the 2010 version of pound them into submission! That was the first time I can remember in a long time (since the Bus??) that the other team knew we were going to ram it down their throats, but we tried anyway ... and were successful. And this with a patchwork O line.

6) Pouncey came back.

7) Hines ran an awesome route, and Ben hit him right in stride for a TD.

8) Harrison's play.

9) Defense on the last play ... did Palmer throw to some rookie TE? Were we blanketing the big guys so well? ... and we STILL had two men to pancake that final receiver with? How'd we do that?? Wooooooo!!

Negatives
1) Kiesel got hurt again.
2) How's our O line's health going into the *s game?
3) Wallace dropped that key 3rd down catch.
4) The ball that "got away from" Ben for the pic.
5) Hines fumble.
6) What everyone else said.

Stewie
11-09-2010, 12:00 PM
[quote=SidSmythe]POSITIVES:
- Run Defense
- Mendenhall

NEGATIVES:
- O-Line injuries

Maybe, but we need another speed receiver. I still say that 4-wide with Hines, Brown, Sanders and Wallace is the cure for passing woes.

Don't put it on anyone. If it is a play design to Wallace off of playaction, put it on Arians. Nobody is surprised that Wallace outruns the pass. There is alot of green on the field to get seperation. Arians did a little of it when Ben was suspended but he seems to forget what works. Post Corner, Corner route, or Post. All stride patterns where Wallace could use his speed to gain seperation or angles on the safeties and leave some vertical field for Ben's arm. It isn't rocket science. Defenses aren't saying, "Wow, I didn't know he was fast." Ben and many of the WRs say they defenses are not going to let us go deep. You could see it in game. Put that on Arians. You gameplan for Wallace to gain seperation in space and run away from the coverage sideline to sideline not LOS to goaline. Someone needs to tell Arians a 30 yard completion and 20 YAC is still the same 6 points if Wallace catches a ball 55-60 yards downfield in the endzone. At this point, the passing offense would benefit more if Wallace was crossing the face of the Safties because Ben can look them off and attack behind the coverage. Sooner or later you will get a false step and it is all over and since Wallace wasn't running vertical from the snap, Ben should have enough arm.[/quote:3syrafwr]

SteelAbility
11-09-2010, 12:23 PM
POSITIVES:
- Wallace is too fast for even Ben- Run Defense
- Mendenhall

NEGATIVES:
- O-Line injuries

I love that but it's also a negative ... on Ben. I'm a Ben homer, but he absolutely has to adjust to Wallace's speed. Practice, practice, practice. If not, then he's essentially set his bazooka on 1/4th power. If he learns to use that bazooka at full power it will open up a world of offense as the D has to back up and give more space to defend Wallace deep.

NorthCoast
11-09-2010, 02:04 PM
POSITIVES:
- Run Defense
- Mendenhall

NEGATIVES:
- O-Line injuries

I was actually disappointed with Mendenhall and thought he could easily have had a 130 yd game. There were a number of shots from behind the line that showed he ran into the wrong holes when there were gaping ones just to the right or left of where he ran. I am not an expert so maybe the holes would have closed quickly...

feltdizz
11-09-2010, 02:41 PM
POSITIVES:
- Run Defense
- Mendenhall

NEGATIVES:
- O-Line injuries

I was actually disappointed with Mendenhall and thought he could easily have had a 130 yd game. There were a number of shots from behind the line that showed he ran into the wrong holes when there were gaping ones just to the right or left of where he ran. I am not an expert so maybe the holes would have closed quickly...

I wasn't disappointed but I think he missed a few holes as well. But he also made a few plays out of nothing... I think since he is always this close to breaking some runs I tend to get more frustrated then I should.

One thing I would like to see is him switching the ball to the outside hand and stiff arming or roughing a few players off with his inside shoulder. He must of heard us grumbling about punishing the DB's because he was putting pads on the defenders at the end of runs.

NJ-STEELER
11-09-2010, 03:58 PM
POSITIVES:
- Run Defense
- Mendenhall

NEGATIVES:
- O-Line injuries

he hit him 4 times and missed once... on a play that takes time to develop. do you want him to throw it before he cuts across the field or sees if that DB is staying put which would nullify that route?

feltdizz
11-09-2010, 04:37 PM
- Run Defense
- Mendenhall

NEGATIVES:
- O-Line injuries

he hit him 4 times and missed once... on a play that takes time to develop. do you want him to throw it before he cuts across the field or sees if that DB is staying put which would nullify that route?[/quote:2gldqutp]

I do... just once or twice to see what happens. I think Ben needs to put it up and let Wallace go get it. Maybe he will finally throw it further than Wallace can run..

I'm curious to see how fast this guy really is.

Tomlinator
11-09-2010, 05:04 PM
Positives
We plugged holes in the O line and kept going. A bit nsteady but still going.

Negative
Reed. 53 yarder was great, the rest of his kicking not so much.

NorthCoast
11-09-2010, 07:51 PM
- Run Defense
- Mendenhall

NEGATIVES:
- O-Line injuries

he hit him 4 times and missed once... on a play that takes time to develop. do you want him to throw it before he cuts across the field or sees if that DB is staying put which would nullify that route?

I do... just once or twice to see what happens. I think Ben needs to put it up and let Wallace go get it. Maybe he will finally throw it further than Wallace can run..

I'm curious to see how fast this guy really is.[/quote:lja6cqkn]

I agree. It's what Young was talking about. Trusting that your receiver will be where he is supposed to be and make a play on the ball. Ben trusts only Hines...no one else.

birtikidis
11-09-2010, 10:37 PM
I was impressed that Ben audibled into a run RIGHT at the blitz, which worked, gaining 8-9 yards on several of those plays.

Steelskin
11-10-2010, 12:30 AM
McFadden seems to be in the negatives weekly... what would you all think about giving Al Harris a shot?

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Al-Harris-agent-in-negotiations-with-multiple-teams.html

Veteran cornerback Al Harris has cleared waivers a day after he was released by the Green Bay Packers.

Harris’ agent Jack Bechta said he is currently in negotiations with multiple teams. He declined to reveal them.

Harris, 35, is a former Pro Bowl performer who has excelled as a right cornerback and a nickel back. He has 21 career interceptions. Harris was on the physically unable to perform list with the Packers, working his way back from a torn ACL suffered last season. He practiced with the first team in Green Bay before being released as the Packers were pleased with younger players on their roster.

Interested teams will certainly want to check out Harris’ health, but he’s believed to be ready to pass any physical. Stay tuned for where Harris will land.

In the interest of full disclosure, Bechta is a founding partner of the National Football Post.

He may be 35, but I don't see how a 1-2 year deal does anything but help us back there.