PDA

View Full Version : 45 minute men.......

Starlifter
11-09-2010, 01:35 AM
It was a huge problem last year. It seems like it may again be a problem this year. We better figure out how to close out a game or any potential post-season run will be very short. Now since this horrifically unsatisfying finish has filled me with stomach acid - I shall be up now night. thanks guys.

stlrz d
11-09-2010, 01:37 AM
Did you see the TD that was *given* to the Bengals???

Sheesh people....

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-09-2010, 01:46 AM
Well, what's wrong with that (45 minute men), when we already have the ultimate 60 minute man - Mike Wallace!

(Sorry, it's late, I'm tired, and I just don't feel like I thought I would after a 6-2 division road game victory ...)

:D :D

papillon
11-09-2010, 01:52 AM

Sheesh people....

Given, taken or earned they got the TD and made it close. Regardless, I thought the defense played well except for 1 minute and 45 second TD drive to bring them within 13 after the Steelers had taken the 27-7 lead. There was a lot of effort and hitting in that last drive and in the end the defense made a play to win the game.

Pappy

SteelCrazy
11-09-2010, 01:52 AM
Everythings fine. We'll make the playoffs and if we're lucky we get past the 1st round and lose in the 2nd. Who cares that we cant keep teams out of a game?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-09-2010, 02:00 AM
Everythings fine. We'll make the playoffs and if we're lucky we get past the 1st round and lose in the 2nd. Who cares that we cant keep teams out of a game?

Sometimes I think we are Superbowl bound, and other times I despair of our even making the playoffs.

Playoffs? PLAYOFFS???

I wish I had stock in Valium, I think Steeler Nation could use a bunch of it this season!!

Superbowl, baby, here we come!!

skyhawk
11-09-2010, 02:15 AM
We wouldn't be talkin about this if it weren't for the BS call on Casey. Legal tackle above the knees AND he was pushed into Carson.

Then the BS pass interference on Ike. Jeez, it's really getting easy to draw a flag. Especially if you flap your mouth and arms like TO did right in front of the ref. :HeadBanger

focosteeler
11-09-2010, 02:29 AM
We wouldn't be talkin about this if it weren't for the BS call on Casey. Legal tackle above the knees AND he was pushed into Carson.

Then the BS pass interference on Ike. Jeez, it's really getting easy to draw a flag. Especially if you flap your mouth and arms like TO did right in front of the ref. :HeadBanger

:Agree

did you hear casey yelling at him?? i think that was the most bs call all night, although that pass interference on Ike is close

skyhawk
11-09-2010, 02:41 AM

:Agree

did you hear casey yelling at him?? i think that was the most bs call all night, although that pass interference on Ike is close

"Flag? On who???"

stlrz d
11-09-2010, 08:57 AM

Sheesh people....

Given, taken or earned they got the TD and made it close. Regardless, I thought the defense played well except for 1 minute and 45 second TD drive to bring them within 13 after the Steelers had taken the 27-7 lead. There was a lot of effort and hitting in that last drive and in the end the defense made a play to win the game.

Pappy

I give 'em credit, pap. That drive capped with the TD pass to TO was thrown perfectly. No way to defend that pass.

But the other one was a gift and if not for that gift people are on here celebrating a 6-2 team instead of crying...after a fscking *win* (not saying you're in with that bunch).

Crash
11-09-2010, 09:01 AM
So much for "pass happy" Ben making our defense too tired huh?

What's the next excuse people can come up with to save our defense's "reputation" rather than see things for what they are?

chiken
11-09-2010, 09:10 AM

What's the next excuse people can come up with to save our defense's "reputation" rather than see things for what they are?

The Defense was plenty rested to Defend down the stretch - they played well.. that Phantom P.I. Call was a joke, that roughing the QB on Hampton was another Joke...
T.O. made 2 good plays though, tip your hat to him.

At the End of the Game we were getting plenty pressure on the QB - We were not Gassed. I believe that that was thanks to us running the ball down the Stretch.

That missed FG really gave them life at the end so it was a good stand by us against a Team at home who "thought" they had life.

Teams are going to move the ball on every Defense this year even ours.

stlrz d
11-09-2010, 09:13 AM

I don't know what things are to you, but I saw a defense out there playing their hearts out, bringing pressure and hitting hard.

The Bengals are paid to play too. Palmer threw a great pass to TO that couldn't be defended. Hampton was flagged for a BS call and then the same for Ike.

I can't believe we are 6-2 and people are bitching.

Jayus Christmas...WTF do you people want??? No team is perfect in this league.

Get on board or get the fsck off...no whiners allowed on the Steelers bus.

Oviedo
11-09-2010, 09:27 AM

Sheesh people....

Pappy

Major concerns about the defense are still there. The Bumgals gave up on the run, we knew they were going to pass and we couldn't stop them. We were one Jordan Shipley drop from seeing the Bumgals win this game 28-27.

LeBeau has to figure out how to get his guys to cover WRs because we continue to let them run free when teams decide to max protect.

feltdizz
11-09-2010, 10:12 AM

I don't know what things are to you, but I saw a defense out there playing their hearts out, bringing pressure and hitting hard.

The Bengals are paid to play too. Palmer threw a great pass to TO that couldn't be defended. Hampton was flagged for a BS call and then the same for Ike.

I can't believe we are 6-2 and people are bitching.

Jayus Christmas...WTF do you people want??? No team is perfect in this league.

Get on board or get the fsck off...no whiners allowed on the Steelers bus.

when a team is up 27 to 7 in the 3rd and it comes down to the last 15 seconds... people will definitely b#### and moan.

The refs walked the Bungles into the endzone to make it 27 to 21.. but hey, I think the refs make phantom calls to keep games interesting but you know me... I'm a conspiracy nut.

Reed missed ANOTHER FG that would have clinched the game... again, it's not that fans are babies.. they would just like to see this team finish an opponent off without it coming down to the last drive damn near every week.

all that said.. we are 6-2. I'll take it.

grotonsteel
11-09-2010, 12:00 PM
There is lot of improvement to make on both sides and Steelers are 6-2 with that..sky is a limit for this team and i happy...who wants to be perfect in week 9..too early to peak...

Now get after Marsha please...like they went after Palmer...

Also please involve No. 97 more on 3rd downs...

SteelAbility
11-09-2010, 12:14 PM
The point is NOT bad calls. In the first half there was a phantom holding call on the right guard blocking Harrison. Forced Cincy into passing. A couple plays later there's an INT by Timmons. It went both ways.

The point is ... this Steelers team cannot salt away games that are essentially in-hand. And, yes, we have 4thQ defensive AND offensive problems. The run of poor 4thQ performances is now getting a bit ridiculous.

papillon
11-09-2010, 12:29 PM

Sheesh people....

Pappy

Major concerns about the defense are still there. The Bumgals gave up on the run, we knew they were going to pass and we couldn't stop them. We were one Jordan Shipley drop from seeing the Bumgals win this game 28-27.

LeBeau has to figure out how to get his guys to cover WRs because we continue to let them run free when teams decide to max protect.

I'm not even sure why teams try to run the ball any longer. If every team just gave up on the run no team would be able to defend the pass well enough. The rules are slanted to the offense and in particular the passing game.

The only way to defend the pass consistently is to apply pressure and speed the game up for quarterbacks. The Steeler defense was doing that last night, but the Bengal offense was up to the task and made some plays. Palmer made a few incredible throws at the last split second last night, including the one that Benson caught after Farrior tipped and he picked up the first down. Woodley grabbed his arm and he was still able to get it forward. The throw to TO for the TD was big time and no defense was stopping that play. At least the defense didn't play the prevent defense. If they were going to give up the points, the Bengals were going to have to earn them.

The Bengals are going to win games, they are not a bad football team and in particular on offense. They will score points.

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
11-09-2010, 02:18 PM

:wft

On the 0.00000147% of your posts where you aren't kissing Ben's "can do no wrong ever" @$$ or complaining about Hines being divorced or his failed businesses or whatever other stupid crap no one cares about, the only thing I ever hear you say about our defense is whining about how LeBeau stops bringing pressure at the end of the half or in the 4th quarter, only rushing 3 people and dropping 8 into coverage. That clearly did not happen last night. So what other excuse will YOU come up with now?

Crash
11-09-2010, 02:22 PM
They laid back after it was 27-7 and gave up ANOTHER give back score.

You should also read the other thread where I gave LeBeau credit for blitzing on that final drive.

But one cannot deny the facts. The Steelers are doing what simple minded Yinzers want: Run the ball like we did 30 years ago.

And yet, the same defensive lapses in the 4th quarter remain.

So now what? What's the next excuse going to be?

And as far as Hines? Maybe he should bash himself as much as he bashes Ben, because right now? Hines Ward STINKS!

flippy
11-09-2010, 03:01 PM
After the game, Ben took the blame for the comeback. He said it was on him for throwing an INT and the D played hard and bailed him out.

feltdizz
11-09-2010, 03:26 PM
They laid back after it was 27-7 and gave up ANOTHER give back score.

You should also read the other thread where I gave LeBeau credit for blitzing on that final drive.

But one cannot deny the facts. The Steelers are doing what simple minded Yinzers want: Run the ball like we did 30 years ago.

And yet, the same defensive lapses in the 4th quarter remain.

So now what? What's the next excuse going to be?

And as far as Hines? Maybe he should bash himself as much as he bashes Ben, because right now? Hines Ward STINKS!

Jeff Reed is the goat IMO.

Hines had a TD catch and a crushing block that sprung Mendy... but you can't go one post without bashing Hines.

How about bashing Ben for that poor throw when we did attempt a pass late and Miller was wide open?

Crash
11-09-2010, 03:30 PM
Hines had a TD catch and a crushing block that sprung Mendy... but you can't go one post without bashing Hines.

Yay, he blocked and had 3 catches for 10 yards and a TD after dropping a TD in the first quarter.

In 5 of 8 games? The Leader of the Wideouts has less than 40 yards, and less than 20 yards in 4 of 8.

If he's going to run his mouth about teammates, he needs to hold himself to the same standards.

grotonsteel
11-09-2010, 07:03 PM
Hines had one of his bad game.....Bring Plex back... :stirpot

Also can we stop those stupid bubble screens to Hines Ward??? Entire world knows about them by now...Does that play ever get more than 2 yards??

SteelTorch
11-09-2010, 08:52 PM
The point is NOT bad calls. In the first half there was a phantom holding call on the right guard blocking Harrison. Forced Cincy into passing. A couple plays later there's an INT by Timmons. It went both ways.

The point is ... this Steelers team cannot salt away games that are essentially in-hand. And, yes, we have 4thQ defensive AND offensive problems. The run of poor 4thQ performances is now getting a bit ridiculous.
That "phantom holding" penalty did not set up the Steelers at the one-friggin yard line. No, it did not go both ways.

SteelAbility
11-09-2010, 10:51 PM

That "phantom holding" penalty did not set up the Steelers at the one-friggin yard line. No, it did not go both ways.

But it did lead to change of possession and a complete swing in the field position game, both of which have latent value. So it did go both ways.

The one case took a Bengal possession and converted it to easy points. The other case played a key role in switching possession ... taking away potential points from one team and giving potential points to the other team.